• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one is correct/better?

• Number 1 (Linear filtering)

Votes: 168 24.5%
  • Number 2 (Nearest filtering)

Votes: 519 75.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Number 1 -

filtergecf1.png

Number 2 -

nofilterjycn2.png

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Number 1. Game was made for 3D accelerators so the filtered look was what the devs intended. Number 2 is only popular because of Minecraft kiddies growing up with that game's unfiltered textures.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
i think i prefer nearest for almost all games up until like HL2, especially 90s games.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Number 1. Game was made for 3D accelerators so the filtered look was what the devs intended. Number 2 is only popular because of Minecraft kiddies growing up with that game's unfiltered textures.

They hated him because he told the truth.

Quake 2 was fully intended to be played with 3D accelerator filtering.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
1 is how I remember it looking as a kid. I kind of prefer it this way, just like I'd prefer Quake one with nearest (or no filtering, whatever the case was for playing Q1 way back).

2 looks better for most surfaces due to increased detail. MC's hands and the door textures look worse, but enemies look better.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I like this comparison more (even if software renderer ≠ nearest filtering in OP's example)

renderer.gif

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot 2 does look better. Give me that "chunky" look, even if that's not how I played it back in the day.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
1 was the only way I remember playing it back in the day.

Also, don't take away the filtered look on the Nightdive remaster due to this poll lmao.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
#1 looks like Quake 2 with a 3D accelerator, which is how it was meant to be played. I prefer #1.

#2 looks like Quake 1 (to me) because I always played it without texture filtering.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally like 2, but I could settle for 1 with a tad bit of increased sharpness.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Linear if running on a 3D accelerator card, near if running on software.
I ran it without a 3D card for the first few months on my old pentium 166mhz and, when upgraded and saw the colored lighting, I was like "where the fuck did this come from?"

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I probably go for 2 mostly, but in this case, 1 makes the kind of smudgy looking textures work better in creating the atmosphere that it seems to be going for. The jagged lines are too distracting in the other version.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
2 looks much more detailed. I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't understand any of the terminology. I played Quake 2 on the N64.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
1 was how I played it, Righteous Orchid Voodoo 2 was the shit.

Both methods have visual pros and cons

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Antagonistic behavior towards other members. Prior ban for similar behavior
1 looks like fucking dogshit so all OG PC gamers who enjoy it like that are clowns.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i think they both have ups and downs even though 1 is the intended look. I think the environments look better filtered; I like the chunky unfiltered look on characters a lot.

Not all of them, but yes, there is definitely a subset of Minecraft kids who ended up getting into retro games like this and are infesting the discourse with shit about how the only way to play all these boomer shooters is with unfiltered textures.

this feels like a bit much. EDIT: as does the above, jeez. It's not like one look endangers the other.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
1 looks like N64 textures and 2 looks like PS1 textures

I guess 2 probably looks better but I kinda prefer 1? I dunno, I'd probably change my mind constantly.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Number 2 is only popular because of Minecraft kiddies growing up with that game's unfiltered textures.
I always used software mode for competitive online play (which is number 2 but without colored lights). The improved clarity/visibility actually helped winning matches over 3d accelerated look, as long as your PC could run it at high enough framerate at higher resolutions.
Also (and this one I never tested beyond how it 'felt', so maybe I'm wrong) I could have sworn software renderer had noticeably lower input lag (when at roughly equivalent performance of course), which was another reason I preferred it.