• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Seems like Smash is totally going on a different direction.

Funny reading some of this reactions. I was wondering what you guys thought lol.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think even counting Pyra and Mythra as separate characters we're still below 20 sword users over 80 playable characters

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hoping for her from the start, so this will probably sell me on the new Fighter Pass finally.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Initially I saw complaints from women, over the years, about constant sexualization in female character designs, now I'm seeing posters complaining about how it's 99% men having these conversations?

So what is the truth? Because I find it hard to believe that it's just men here having issues with designs like Pyra.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sexism and Hostility Over Multiple Posts
This seems really dismissive of the issue in general. You should take a gander at the "Why Women Criticize Sexualized Designs" thread and come back in here with a more enlightened perspective.
you mean the thread where most of the posters spend most of their time taking shots are other posters? or the one that is primarily full of men telling people how women should look? That thread? No thanks.

I'm not going to sit here and act like Pyra/Mythra are the pinnacle of female design. They are horny ass designs lol. There are no words and deeds that can make up for that. But IMO thats ok. There are place for Horny Designs. The issue is when thats all there is...and despite what many here would like you to believe that is not the case...even with the very same game. But then of course, everyone's idea of sexualized is different as someone could find Morag as a sexual design for reasons. But basically I don't attend the school of though that sexy = bad and is the reason why fuckbois on the internet treat women poorly. It comes from the same school of thought from the 90's that Doom caused school shootings. To each their own of course...but i am sorry a lot of it reads as "I don't like this thing but thats not good enough so let me make that dislike about racism or sexism to really drive that point across"...and read hollow as fuck considering the skeletons in some of the louder people like that before from era and gaf. You can not like a design. I think Mythra is "better designed" than Pyra for probably some of the same reasons people hate them. But I draw the line when people attempt to make said dislike more than it is.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Deserved. Xenoblade 2 was a fantastic game, and the series is fast becoming one of Nintendo's best.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't hate Pyra. Body aside Her english voice actress gave such an endearing performance, and the model was animated with such interesting contemplative gentle facial expressions. A good contrast with the confident/brash mythra. A shame both were in subservient roles to rex in the game though...

I honestly feel like some of the posts in this thread are full blown misogyny riding on the "this is exploitative" cover as an excuse. Really hateful.
It's misogynistic to hate a character that was designed for lame otakus to lust after? Nah, as a woman, this ain't it.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo, when I said I wanted a female character I meant an iconic female character like ChunLi or Lara Croft. Not a big titty anime waifu jfc

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's going to be half the discourse whenever these characters get talked about

"Yeah they're pretty good but man, I wish their tits weren't so big, ya know?"

Fuck off
If you even suggest liking XB2 you're gonna get looked down upon by idiots here. I remember when the game released and there were weekly threads dedicated to the game lmao.

I'm sorry that people are being this way towards you, and I don't blame you for not posting because of it.

I'm not going anywhere for now. I've been here since the beginning and know all about and kind of XC2 discussion. I've just reached my breaking point with "but their boobs....." type posts. It's old, boring, and it never leads to any kind of constructive discussion.

Excuse me? When did I say anything even remotely close to telling you to shut up and leave? You are obviously free to want anything that you want in games and to voice that as much as you want. And I will continue to want what I want, which is for characters in games to be less sexually objectified. To say that I tried to shut you down and diminish you when I did nothing of the sort is ... well it sucks.

You never told me to shut up leave, but exaggerations like yours get old real fucking fast and make me feel (a woman with breasts who happens like hyper feminine or if you want to say "sexualized" designs) like you're talking down to me acting like I'm stupid and can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Pyra and Mythra are not real, but women in real life do have have realistic versions of those bodies.

But you are also right about being free to want what you want in games. While Pyra and Mythra have hyper-feminine qualities to their designs or "sexiness" they're not treated as objects. So we're not seeing eye-to-eye on something here.

Please don't stop posting your thoughts. Your opinion is valid no matter how many people agree or disagree, we need diversity of though to maintain thoughtful discussion. It sucks that some people might target you personally be it intentionally or absentmindedly but don't let it demotivate you from posting your thoughts.

Oh, I'm leaving for now. Just needed to vent a little. But posts like these ironically will drive away woman and diversity.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Uhh of course they have "every right to promote" it, who is arguing that? It's a crap design and embarassing to see every time it's on screen.

Then don't buy the character, it's that simple. I don't know whether you can purchase characters individually or not but you can just not spend money on Pyra/Mythra.

And yet the design is mediocre at best. Come on bruh.

Did I say that I was defending the design? Even I think it's embarrassing to look at. I just wanted to point out that a woman designed the character as a point of clarification, that's all.

Mar 9, 2018
Kongplete the trio Nintendo. She saved DK's hairy *** many times.

Eudv8SuU4AE1wM8

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
OMG! Didn't even think these characters would appear. I admit I like the designs, though I kind of never thought about getting into XBC.

But regardless, cue the flying pigs!

Last edited:

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Happy Pyra is in at last. Expected many of the reactions in this thread.

ENOUGH with the anime swords people. Come on!

And I miss Smash being a celebration of gaming history. Can we get a classic character please? Contra dude? Bomberman? Eggman? Dr. Wily? Pai Chan? Blaze Fielding? Adam or Skate Hunter? Anything? Heck, if you really want another anime sword person I'll even settle for classic Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden. I can compromise!

No, Smash was always celebration of Nintendo games first. And Pyra and Mythra are two characters of the most popular entry of a series that's 10 years old already.

No Pneuma for their ultimate seems like a big missed opportunity.

Thought the same, specially seeing how Smash doesn't shy away from throwing Xenoblade spoilers around.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I enjoy sexy anime pin-up girls in sci-fantasy getups as much as the next dumb nerd, but these two definitly qualify as one of the least exciting picks for me lol...happy for Xenoblade fans though.

I'm still holding out hope for my boy Crash T.T

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My wife who is unfamiliar with Xenoblade said it best: "She looks like she was designed by a Monday Night Raw fan from 1998."

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop thinking about this reveal. I'm pretty happy with Smash as it is and I didn't expect to get another character I was invested in, but GODDAMN was I wrong. I'm happy we'll get 40-something minutes of Sakurai gushing about Xenoblade 2. Goddamn. Well deserved too. One of the best games this gen.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much about Pyra, but Mythra was one of my most wanted Nintendo characters for Smash. Thanks Sakurai! (or whoever decided this)

I still think Lora and Jin would be better picks for Xeno 2, but I guess having Jin right after Sephiroth could be a little too on the nose.

(and in the end, the extra covering did nothing to fix the character designs for most people)

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I played like 20 hours of xenoblade 2 back in the day. I couldn't stomach the awful misogynistic designs of the characters and overbearing "power of friendship" in what I I played.

For all the folks saying that "but there is more to the game and those characters than their designs!!!", I wish someone told the cutscene camera director that. When the camera is consistently finding different ways to focus on Pyra's breasts, it kind of doesn't matter how thoughtful or interesting the character is anymore. Why should I be interested in what she has to say when the game doesn't seem to be interested either?

Anyway, this smash reveal sucked. That's all.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
you mean the thread where most of the posters spend most of their time taking shots are other posters? or the one that is primarily full of men telling people how women should look? That thread? No thanks.

I'm not going to sit here and act like Pyra/Mythra are the pinnacle of female design. They are horny ass designs lol. There are no words and deeds that can make up for that. But IMO thats ok. There are place for Horny Designs. The issue is when thats all there is...and despite what many here would like you to believe that is not the case...even with the very same game. But then of course, everyone's idea of sexualized is different as someone could find Morag as a sexual design for reasons. But basically I don't attend the school of though that sexy = bad and is the reason why fuckbois on the internet treat women poorly. It comes from the same school of thought from the 90's that Doom caused school shootings. To each their own of course...but i am sorry a lot of it reads as "I don't like this thing but thats not good enough so let me make that dislike about racism or sexism to really drive that point across"...and read hollow as fuck considering the skeletons in some of the louder people like that before from era and gaf. You can not like a design. I think Mythra is "better designed" than Pyra for probably some of the same reasons people hate them. But I draw the line when people attempt to make said dislike more than it is.
Making women sexual objects is an inherently harmful thing. Not just the gaming scene but the world in general is still totally plagued with biases and attitudes against women that disempower them and make them out to be lesser. There are strong preconceptions that a woman must be attractive first and foremost and designs like Pyra's absolutely reinforce that sexist outlook especially when you look at the greater game and see it absolutely riddled with them. Pyra is not even in control of her sexuality, it is incidental and accidental in almost every objectifying scene. The camera frames her a certain way without her knowledge, a character makes a double entendre she doesn't understand, etc. In an ideal world maybe the "sexy is fine!" argument holds water, but right now we still live in an environment where there is a stark inequality between representation of men and women and it is especially prevalent in gaming. Saying that complaining about it is just a shallow dislike is a terrible way to frame these complaints, especially since you seem to understand what parts of the designs are problematic.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Can't say these two things in the same post. You can't justify Smash's choices by saying "oh, there just isn't the right one" then turn around and complain about conversations about "the wrong one".

As has always been the case, there will always be people making the argument "oh, well it just so happened that the best choices weren't the black choices. There was no malice involved. These choices wete purely colorblind."

It will happen in perpetuity as long as you're willing to buy into that bullshit. "More" options won't change a god damn thing.

I didn't used 'wrong one' argument. My argument was that a character shouldn't be picked just because they're POC. Especially with many of the names thrown around when I'm certain these people had to Google the character in question and wouldn't have a personal interest in them if they weren't POC. In other word, it's pure shallowness, just like how people dunked on Min Min for not being black despite being a minority woman.

The fact is, Nintendo don't have that many POC characters and the ones people liked to name like Elma and Marina are not even POC, which tells me more that people are being shallow. So it comes off less of people wanting more POCs for inclusive and diversity, and more that people wants to fill some POC quarter to personally feel better.

If you want to say, Nintendo needs to make more major POCs, then yes. I completely agree. But don't pick some random POC side-character you found on Google and demand that they be put in Smash because of diversity, because that feels less sincere and more like you're checking a list.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda expected Xenoblade 2 representation after the original Rex Mii costume reveal but at least this is better than Rex. Now just gotta hope we don't get yet another Pokémon. I still really want Eggman a lot though.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they come with tracks from XCX and more stuff from Torna alongside Future Connected. Especially the battle themes from Torna and FC.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
They've surprised me three times in a row.

Hope they nail these last two reveals.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Not really excited by this, but the game deserved a rep, and she's kinda the most logical choice, even if I would've preferred Nia. Still, happy for her fans, as I've had my dream characters for like 13 years now lol.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): Dismissive commentary around representation
I didn't used 'wrong one' argument. My argument was that a character shouldn't be picked just because they're POC. Especially with many of the names thrown around when I'm certain these people had to Google the character in question and wouldn't have a personal interest in them if they weren't POC. In other word, it's pure shallowness, just like how people dunked on Min Min for not being black despite being a minority woman.

The fact is, Nintendo don't have that many POC characters and the ones people liked to name like Elma and Marina are not even POC, which tells me more that people are being shallow. So it comes off less of people wanting more POCs for inclusive and diversity, and more that people wants to fill some POC quarter to personally feel better.

If you want to say, Nintendo needs to make more major POCs, then yes. I completely agree. But don't pick some random POC side-character you found on Google and demand that they be put in Smash because of diversity, because that feels less sincere and more like you're checking a list.

Amen to this.
Something else that grinds my gears are the people who say that characters with multiple skin colours (like Villager or Inkling) don't count as representation because the main choice isn't dark skinned. It just seems like no matter what, unless their exact specifications are met, they won't be satisfied.