• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
i havent found remedy's output to be good post alan wake, and by their output i mean the one game since alan wake, that took 5 years to develop, that just...wasnt good IMO. Now 3 years later and they basically made quantum break 2.0 for control.

And like other posters have said, they have remedy-like studios already with great games. Diversify.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is this? Account and alt account?

What a load of nonsense. This kind of trolling console war nonsense should be ban-able.

This is been shown to be demonstrably false on many occasions on many different fronts.

Remedy is demonstrably a VERY capable developer from a gameplay perspective.

The last three Sony AAA's have been very gameplay focused. They are not movies.

trolling? console war? xD what are you talking about man you sound like a hall monitor lmao. 90% of my game time this gen was spent on PS4. Remedy makes exactly the kind of cinematic movie games that Sony 1st party has become known for. Why is this controversial?

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
User Warned: System Warring
Everyone should embrace SONY recruiting AAA developers to join them. You rarely have the opportunity and should claim it. Obviously M$ is bothered by this news.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sony will acquire them but Remedy games always did have that PlayStation feel to them for me.

I could see it working out for Sony though, because Sony knows how well single player games sell on PlayStation, and Remedy is known for single player games. I also think Sam Lake and Kojima are good friends.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
The hottest of takes. Remedy is a very good developer, one of the best.
Counter hot take... Remedy are better at mixing narratives with compelling than all of Sony's teams.
Here, i'll help you. Remedy are a very competent games studio that have made a number of games people many people enjoy. Your opinion on their games is subjective and a lot of people would be inclined to disagree with you. You're welcome.
Uh yo I fucking love Remedy games. They're one of my favorite developers. What I'm talking about is why would anyone want Sony to own them, when they seem to be doing well enough on their own. "Yes please more exclusivity!"

If this was Remedy's only chance of survival, then I'd understand.

I really didn't think that was going to be hard to understand.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sony has enough developers that specialize in that genre. They need a MP focused studio IMO. That's where they are lacking

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
How does the acquisition of the Alan Wake publishing rights (which they got half-wrong because Remedy already owned the IP) due to the expiration of Microsoft's right of first refusal "cast doubt" on any potential Sony bid? What does one have to do with the other?
I think Remedy just now getting full rights back for Alan Wake is why Sony is looking into them, because without Alan Wake, Remedy only truly own Control, which isn't even tested yet.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of Remedy's fate depends on control. It doesn't seem to have any buzz at all, literally not a single person I know realizes its a game or is coming out in a month or two (even I'm not sure exactly when and I loved Alan Wake and mostly liked QB). I've been trading in all my games last weekend at gamestop and preordered a few switch games and Jedi Order and the clerks told me about Call of Duty, cyberpunk, and other E3 games but not one mentioned Control.

I'm happy Remedy is around as a dev but like Telltale Games I kinda wonder if there is really a large enough audience for the kind of games they like to make.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Remedy since Max Payne 2 has been making bomb after bomb. As much people liked Alan Wake they got their own head up the arse with the whole TV thing that they been doing since Max Payne 1. That entire thing with Quantum Break might look like a MS idea cause of their TV initiative back in the day. but remedy always tried to do weird tv backstories or easter eggs.

MS gave them all the money in the world and kept messing up. But i do hope some Sony cash helps them cause that Control game while looking great does feel low budget with the whole taking place in a windowless giat building. They are talented devs but keep making weird gameplay decisions. The shooting in QB was bad but the story was fun and unique

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what situation Remedy is in or will be in after Control, so can't say I hope this never happens. But let's say I would much rather them remain independent, be successful and make cool stuff like Control.

If Sony takes over they might very well declare "No more PC for you!", and that'd be sad.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Uh yo I fucking love Remedy games. They're one of my favorite developers. What I'm talking about is why would anyone want Sony to own them, when they seem to be doing well enough on their own. "Yes please more exclusivity!"

If this was Remedy's only chance of survival, then I'd understand.

I really didn't think that was going to be hard to understand.

Ah, i see. Well in that case i would agree with you, ideally i'd like Remedy to continue their output on PC. However, i wouldn't be so sure about them doing so well as a company. Their past few games haven't exactly been hugely successful commercially and i fear if Control doesn't do well they may be in a bit of trouble. If Sony acquiring them means that they continue forward and create the games they would like to create with more stability behind them then i'm for that. I think out of all publishers Sony is somewhere Remedy could really thrive at.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, i see. Well in that case i would agree with you, ideally i'd like Remedy to continue their output on PC. However, i wouldn't be so sure about them doing so well as a company. Their past few games haven't exactly been hugely successful commercially and i fear if Control doesn't do well they may be in a bit of trouble. If Sony acquiring them means that they continue forward and create the games they would like to create with more stability behind them then i'm for that. I think out of all publishers Sony is somewhere Remedy could really thrive at.
True, Control will be an interesting litmus test in that regard. And I do agree that Remedy's brand of narrative-focused games fit right alongside a lot of Sony's output. But unless it's necessary, I don't think people should ever be cheering for acquisitions without a very very good reason.

Like, this post, while I'm pretty sure is a troll post (but then again, who knows), is also kinda the general sentiment of a lot of posts in this thread. "Please, platform owner of my choice, buy everything!" Yuck.
Everyone should embrace SONY recruiting AAA developers to join them. You rarely have the opportunity and should claim it. Obviously M$ is bothered by this news.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Remedy just now getting full rights back for Alan Wake is why Sony is looking into them, because without Alan Wake, Remedy only truly own Control, which isn't even tested yet.

The idea that Sony might be interested in Remedy because of the Alan Wake IP is hilarious lol

IF they really are interested on Remedy, it is obviously because of their pedigree and how much synergy their games have with Sony AAA offerings

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My feeling is control is going review well and be well received by gamers who play it however financially it's going to bomb. I think they need to be under a 1st party umbrella as there games are different and add diversity to the mix but they need the financial stability of 1st to survive

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Like, this post, while I'm pretty sure is a troll post (but then again, who knows), is also kinda the general sentiment of a lot of posts in this thread. "Please, platform owner of my choice, buy everything!" Yuck.
Yeah, thats horrible. Even more when it comes from a personal cult, like all those "Phil to the rescue, Phil should buy th, Phil yaddayadda."

Not the biggest fan of acquisitions of well known studios, but at least remedy and sony could be a great match.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean third person story driven games. They've got those on lock already

I keep seeing this being said, but people forget that almost everyone of their big studios is working on a sequel to those beloved PS4 story driven games for PS5. That possibly creates a new IP problem when it comes to having a brand new AAA story driven game ready for the early years of the PS5.

Remedy would be a good studio to solve that with a new blockbuster PlayStation IP, fits what they are looking for perfectly. Doesn't mean they have to buy them, it could be just a partnership

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The idea that Sony might be interested in Remedy because of the Alan Wake IP is hilarious lol

IF they really are interested on Remedy, it is obviously because of their pedigree and how much synergy their games have with Sony AAA offerings
It's not just that, but if you are gonna spend 100mil on a studio, you might as well get their ip's.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing this being said, but people forget that almost everyone of their big studios is working on a sequel to those beloved PS4 story driven games for PS5. That possibly creates a new IP problem when it comes to having a brand new AAA story driven game ready for the early years of the PS5.

Remedy would be a good studio to solve that with a new blockbuster PlayStation IP, fits what they are looking for perfectly. Doesn't mean they have to buy them, it could be just a partnership

Next Naughty Dog project is most definitely a new IP

Also Cory's new IP, Sony Japan and Sucker Punch

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony takes over they might very well declare "No more PC for you!", and that'd be sad.
Sony already put some of their exclusives on PC. They didn't even have to but they did. All of them though? Of course not. The reality is, exclusives do sell systems. That's a big part of how Sony won this gen, in addition to making the right decisions elsewhere too, like pricing, etc. You think most people are going to double dip to buy an Xbox game if they already own it on PC? They won't. That's usually how this goes, gaming can be a pretty expensive hobby.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Next Naughty Dog project is most definitely a new IP

Yeah which is why I said almost all of them. Sony doesn't take new flagship IPs lightly as they are crucial to every new generation of PlayStation, so this is why the Remedy rumor makes sense. They must be searching for partners to create new PS5 IPs since their internal studios are mostly busy.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Now they can stop making narratively, stylistically interesting games and make some more sad dad Oscar bait like the rest of Sony first-party.

latest

Look at this sad dad everyone

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I wouldnt say they have synergy, rather, they have overlap. Sony already makes these kinds of games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know and like I said Sam Lake has said in the past they wanted to make multiplatform games moving forward kinda like Insomniac.

And insomniac didn't make their last game for Sony as they always want the IP rights. Which is why both Remedy and Insominac made new IP this gen

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no, 4 was a flop, sadly because I love this series
Even if the shit flopped Level-5 has already stacked up so much money, I highly doubt their looking to be acquired right now.

If anything, Sony would be better just building another Japanese studio than buying one, there's slim pickings.

Status
Not open for further replies.