• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Made it to the final third of the game but I don't think I can continue anymore. The combat is absolutely awful and it became much more apparent in the final stages of the game. I don't feel like I have enough control over my character, it doesn't feel responsive and some of the later enemies are just cheap as fuck.
Why not just enable the accessibility options to power through the combat sections then?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
My only gripe with the combat is that it can be a little clunky when accessing the power wheel mid-fight and a basic loadout switch system would've solved this as you can have four powers active at any time and there are eight in total (as indicated by Raz's backpack, in case anyone out there is tempted to argue this is a spoiler). I never felt like I was fighting the controls, though -- the combat isn't anything to write home about, but it's perfectly serviceable in much the same way that, say, R&C's is.

Last edited:

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just enable the accessibility options to power through the combat sections then?

Hmm, I might try that to see how it goes.

My only gripe with the combat is that it can be a little clunky when switching to an unselected power mid-fight and a basic loadout switch system would've solved this as you can have four powers active at any time and there are eight in total (as indicated by Raz's backpack, in case anyone out there is tempted to argue this is a spoiler). I never felt like I was fighting the controls, though -- the combat isn't anything to write home about, but it's perfectly serviceable in much the same way that, say, R&C's is.

R&C's combat is lightyears ahead of whatever this game is trying to do.

R&C is better at combat / animations and Psychonauts is better at platforming / storytelling.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
R&C's combat is lightyears ahead of whatever this game is trying to do.

R&C is better at combat / animations and Psychonauts is better at platforming / storytelling.

In my opinion, R&C's only notable advantage is that it's slightly less clunky to switch weapons while under pressure. The actual combat isn't all that dissimilar, at least in R&C 2016 and the preceding PS3 entries (I haven't played A Rift Apart).

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, R&C's only notable advantage is that it's slightly less clunky to switch weapons while under pressure. The actual combat isn't all that dissimilar, at least in R&C 2016 and the preceding PS3 entries (I haven't played A Rift Apart).

Oh yeah, I was referring to Rift Apart. The combat is much better than the 2016 game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's Friday, and still no patch for the gp version. It's disheartening..

Yeah this is unfortunate. The Double Fine twitter account has also been silent on any patch updates for PC Games Pass for the past week as well (unless I missed it). Though to be fair, it may be out of their hands if they finished the patch and it's just been waiting for Microsoft's certification process. Still unfortunate to see the PC Game Pass version remain patchless over 2 weeks from release with this noted stutter issue.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is unfortunate. The Double Fine twitter account has also been silent on any patch updates for PC Games Pass for the past week as well (unless I missed it). Though to be fair, it may be out of their hands if they finished the patch and it's just been waiting for Microsoft's certification process. Still unfortunate to see the PC Game Pass version remain patchless over 2 weeks from release with this noted stutter issue.
I'm not blaming Double Fine at all for this, MS has to sort their shit out vis à vis the PC side of their business GP wise. Patches come fast (and loose sometimes I agree) on the PC, so get up to speed if you mean to be taken seriously..

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not blaming Double Fine at all for this, MS has to sort their shit out vis à vis the PC side of their business GP wise. Patches come fast (and loose sometimes I agree) on the PC, so get up to speed if you mean to be taken seriously..

Yeah I definitely agree. I've been wanting to play this game over the past week or so (recently beat the first game for the first time and watched a Rhombus of Ruin playthrough to 'get ready'), but I've been holding off for this patch to hit 'any day' now. Just moving on to other games to play for now.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Just finished. Really loved the ending. Didnt really want it to stop. Ending is super abrupt!

Favourite thing I've played this year alongside returnal.

Looking forward to mopping up some collectibles and some more platforming.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the final third of the game but I don't think I can continue anymore. The combat is absolutely awful and it became much more apparent in the final stages of the game. I don't feel like I have enough control over my character, it doesn't feel responsive and some of the later enemies are just cheap as fuck.

man, I love the combat. Which was a surprise to me…

the only issue I have is that pausing to swap abilities isn't fun.

if the enemies feel cheap to you, I wonder if you're using the right abilities against them.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, WTF is this patch? It looks like the other storefronts are now on their THIRD patch and the Gamepass version has gotten zero. Doublefine said over two weeks ago that only the first patch went to Microsoft cert and they still haven't deployed even that one.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The combat in this game makes me feel like no matter what I can't avoid getting hit. Enemy attacks have like two frames of anticipation before they knock me on my ass, which is baffling considering how fantastic the animation is in general.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I found that the combat was very straightforward and satisfying, you just have to know what powers to use on each enemy.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The combat in this game makes me feel like no matter what I can't avoid getting hit. Enemy attacks have like two frames of anticipation before they knock me on my ass, which is baffling considering how fantastic the animation is in general.

when using levitation, most enemies have trouble even getting close enough to attack. For the really fast ones slow time.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Is it not possible to get Half-a-minds and other time sensitive collectibles when you revisit some minds like the
Compton Cookoff
? I didn't finish the tasks on time on my first go.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to get Half-a-minds and other time sensitive collectibles when you revisit some minds like the
Compton Cookoff
? I didn't finish the tasks on time on my first go.
you can get them, but you have to wait till after you beat the game. You can't replay the minigame, but the locked prize boxes will be swapped out for the collectibles and you can just run up and grab them. It's kind of annoying the game doesn't tell you that some things you missed the first go-around in a brain won't be collectible until after you finish the whole game. Easy way to drive yourself nuts if you're trying to 100% brains as you play.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to
replay the Maligula level after you beat the game? I can't find it in the collective unconscious. I helped my son first time round and now he wants to have a go on his own.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it. Loved it and really hope they continue with the series. The game felt tighter than the original, but the level variety in terms of objective wasn't quite as varied as the original. There's one or two levels that I'll continue to think about, but that original has like 4-5 that felt incredibly memorable (albeit sometimes half-baked). Still, just remarkable that they were able to make the game and for it to be as solid of an entry.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I found that the combat was very straightforward and satisfying, you just have to know what powers to use on each enemy.

I actually hate this because it makes every combat session a pause menu hot-swap fest and rewriting my brain to remember whatever I've swapped whatever power to just confuses the shit out of me. I mostly set the same powers to the same buttons throughout but would occasionally change stuff around and it would confuse me.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021
In the real world areas (unless I missed one), I have 3 chests left to open, but only one key left to find. How does that math work?

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Very disappointing to say the least. I was really looking forward to playing after it got such stellar reviews and impressions from players here and it hasn't even got a single patch yet.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I actually hate this because it makes every combat session a pause menu hot-swap fest and rewriting my brain to remember whatever I've swapped whatever power to just confuses the shit out of me. I mostly set the same powers to the same buttons throughout but would occasionally change stuff around and it would confuse me.

yes, this is my only gripe about the combat. Usually, a combat area won't have a wide variety of enemies- so you can set your powers once and be good with it. But the times where enemy variety high - which should be the best combat moments - become slide shows as you pause to change powers and familiarize yourself with the new control layout.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
So I got all the figments in a level and I got nothing? When you get all the trunk bags, you level up. You get nothing for getting all the figments?? Do you get anything? I got to admit I was a bit disappointed after putting in the extra effort to get all the figments in a level. Is that true?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So I got all the figments in a level and I got nothing? When you get all the trunk bags, you level up. You get nothing for getting all the figments?? Do you get anything? I got to admit I was a bit disappointed after putting in the extra effort to get all the figments in a level. Is that true?

Collecting all figments in a level doesn't confer anything, but for every 100 you grab overall, you level up.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat it. Loved it and really hope they continue with the series. The game felt tighter than the original, but the level variety in terms of objective wasn't quite as varied as the original. There's one or two levels that I'll continue to think about, but that original has like 4-5 that felt incredibly memorable (albeit sometimes half-baked). Still, just remarkable that they were able to make the game and for it to be as solid of an entry.

I just beat it last night and this is pretty much how I feel. Psychonauts 2 is obviously very solid and more polished, but the first game had more memorable levels to me... Milkman Conspiracy, Waterloo, the lungfish city, the theater. Then again I played it nearly 15 years ago, so that could be the nostalgia goggles talking.

Anyway I think I'm going to 100% the game, which I wasn't originally planning on doing. There's something kinda relaxing about leisurely exploring every nook and cranny of the different worlds.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished the game. Loved it. Still not sure where it ranks vs the first one. I feel like it's a lot more consistent than the first game but doesn't have as high of highs. Still, it's a huge accomplishment to make a sequel nearly two decades later and not miss a single beat. Super excited to see what DF has up next. I'll definitely be going into their back catalogue after I'm done 100%ing P2.

I don't think we're seeing a Psychonauts 3 and as much as I loved these games, I'm okay with that. The series has had two great games (and a VR game I haven't played). I'm more excited to see what the next "Psychonauts" is from DF, as in what their next big thing is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much of the opinion that this is a miracle of a game that surpasses the original. I need to think about what else is happening this year but its going to be difficult for anything to top it.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Finished the game last week, it was absolutely fantastic. It really lived up to my expectations for a sequel after all these years.

The mental health angle felt much more earnest in its message this go around, which is why I'm guessing that it opened with a disclaimer. When it warned about themes of addiction, I thought it was referring to Hollis' Hot Streak.

I was not prepared for Bob's Bottles. That level hit me like a baseball bat to the throat. Yet it still showed empathy and optimism in how it reached its conclusion.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I'm having a weird problem with this game. While I'm playing it normally on XSX the controller seems to lost signal with the console and not responding to any button press. The only way to fix it is to remove the battery or rebooting the system. The console doesn't give a "no controller" message until I force extract the battery, is just an absence of input.

It only happens with this game. Does anyone faced the same probelm?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a weird problem with this game. While I'm playing it normally on XSX the controller seems to lost signal with the console and not responding to any button press. The only way to fix it is to remove the battery or rebooting the system. The console doesn't give a "no controller" message until I force extract the battery, is just an absence of input.

I had this problem many months ago with another game. Happened two or three times. Then I noticed the console got a firmware update and whatever was wrong was fixed. It is possible it is a weird one-off issue with the console, or maybe a save file, or maybe just data related to certain games.

My problem fixed itself. So I hope yours does too

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I had this problem many months ago with another game. Happened two or three times. Then I noticed the console got a firmware update and whatever was wrong was fixed. It is possible it is a weird one-off issue with the console, or maybe a save file, or maybe just data related to certain games.

My problem fixed itself. So I hope yours does too

I tried to update both the console and the controller, but both are updated. I'll try to reinstall the game and see if that fixes it.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, this just completely wrecked R&C for TOP 3 spot this year. Final third of the game, it's so good.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Actually thinking about it I think I laughed out loud a lot more with the first game than with the second game. Not that the second game didn't have funny moments, I think being thrust into this new world probably helped the humour in the first game whereas it's a bit more expected in the second game. What does everyone think of the humour in this vs the first one?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Every new level has me putting down the controller in awe just wondering how much creativity is packed in one game. Don't want this to end.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Actually thinking about it I think I laughed out loud a lot more with the first game than with the second game. Not that the second game didn't have funny moments, I think being thrust into this new world probably helped the humour in the first game whereas it's a bit more expected in the second game. What does everyone think of the humour in this vs the first one?

I think the first game is funnier in general, but the second game tackles much more serious, thorny subject matter that's much more difficult to make light of.

That it still managed to retain a sense of humour and light heartedness throughout the game is pretty impressive to me.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree. This combat is wildly awful, and I'll even add that the platforming is pretty bad, too. I love the game for it's amazing imagination and its level design/aesthetics, but the core gameplay is too archaic and creaky to tolerate.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I think the first game is funnier in general, but the second game tackles much more serious, thorny subject matter that's much more difficult to make light of.

That it still managed to retain a sense of humour and light heartedness throughout the game is pretty impressive to me.
Yeah I think the game has a more focused and overarching theme of covering the topics that it covers that I suppose it's harder to add humour than it was in the first game, where the brains were all pretty much separate from one another, both in theme and in plot.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Had that happen yesterday - and my controller is plugged in!
I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it saw it again. I thought it was really weird.
This was on X1X with the Elite controller using the USB cable.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Finished up the story today \o/

What a fantastic game, and currently my personal goty frontrunner. I'm so glad DF were able to keep the bosses in the game too, as they really added a lot IMO.

I've been sitting on Tales of Arise until I finished this, but I think I'll mop up some half-finished bits in P2 first.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Finished up the story today \o/

What a fantastic game, and currently my personal goty frontrunner. I'm so glad DF were able to keep the bosses in the game too, as they really added a lot IMO.

I've been sitting on Tales of Arise until I finished this, but I think I'll mop up some half-finished bits in P2 first.

Same exact situation as you but beat it last night.

I think I got approximately 90% of the optional collectibles done. Definitely did every sidequest except for a collectibles-based one.

My only remaining mega-excitement releases for the rest of the year are Metroid Dread, Forza Horizon 5, and SMT V and as much as I'm positive I will enjoy those games a lot, I'm not sure anything is going to hit quite as hard as Pyschonauts 2 for me.

Game has a delightful visual style, plays really well thanks to polished-feeling mechanics and excellent level design, hits an incredibly endearing comical tone, touches on a lot of heavy mental health subjects with what I feel is a ton of tact without ever getting incredibly hopeless feeling, and has such a lovely ensemble cast.

Just a phenomenal game through and through. Speaks to my tastes immaculately.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got all collectibles and platinumed the game. The search for the figments was sometimes not very fun. Especially in the levels that are either really big or really colourful (which makes the figments harder to see). Still, I enjoyed going for all the collectibles and leveling up to 102. I'd said that I'd be okay with just the two mainline Psychonauts games but after going through all the areas and having all the post-game conversations, I realised I really want to see more of these characters (especially Agent Nein, he's so cool.). I'd have no idea where they'd go with the game mechanics though.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Just finished the part where you go through Bob's mind. As someone who has an alcoholic parent that part hit hard. I don't think I realized until now just how sad and dark this game can get.

The game keeps the tone light and fun overall, but there are these dark motifs in the background that make it very eerie. On one hand the level has this cheery pirate adventure theme, but there's also bottles and drinking-related figments everywhere, and the "drunken sailor" tune playing in the background. It's impressive that they managed to play both sides, thematically.

If you missed it, here's the basic story: Bob asks his Mom why she keeps going into the greenhouse. Eventually you find the picture book that reveals he found her dead among bottles of alcohol, and she had been hiding out in the greenhouse to conceal her drinking problem.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Just finished the part where you go through Bob's mind. As someone who has an alcoholic parent that part hit hard. I don't think I realized until now just how sad and dark this game can get.

The game keeps the tone light and fun overall, but there are these dark motifs in the background that make it very eerie. On one hand the level has this cheery pirate adventure theme, but there's also bottles and drinking-related figments everywhere, and the "drunken sailor" tune playing in the background. It's impressive that they managed to play both sides, thematically.

If you missed it, here's the basic story: Bob asks his Mom why she keeps going into the greenhouse. Eventually you find the picture book that reveals he found her dead among bottles of alcohol, and she had been hiding out in the greenhouse to conceal her drinking problem.
and the subsequent downspiral is also pretty dark.. Like the monologue snippets he has in the 2nd zone's ending