• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
How fast is copying? I would rather save the hassle and just re-download everything. If it maxes my line, it should not take long. Looking at the Xbox release and the beating MS servers took, it could backfire though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have a solution to Modern Warfare? I'm using the PS4 disc. After downloading all the add ons (apparently they have a high res pack for the PS5)... it's not letting me start the game...and it says to delete the game/app... and reinstall it (by putting the disc back in) but I'm worried all those add ons/data packs will have to be redownloaded again.

Quoting myself for an update..

So my ass initially transfered the Modern Warfare game from the PS4 to an external HDD... then just used the disc to verify I have the game on the PS5. When I should have used the disc to install it on the external HDD, using the PS5.

Anyway when it asked me to reinstall, I chose that.. and it did it fine with no issues.... it didn't delete all the add ons, which I was worried I'd have to redownload.

Last edited:

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen it said that RGB automatic is borked on PS4, maybe this is on the base PS4? RBG Range automatic works just fine on PS4 Pro for me with my C9. HDR off = PS4 RGB Range Full, TV Black Level High, HDR on = PS4 RGB Range Limited, TV Black Level Low.

You can tell the console is using full with non HDR with the automatic setting because nothing changes when you manually change to full, and it cuts off and back on when changing to limited.

I guess it could be easier for people to leave no room for error and just set everything low/limited, including your TVs black level setting. But from my experience RGB automatic worked perfectly fine on PS4 Pro and I would hope it would with the PS5 too.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
had the same thing happen to me.
Sold my PS4 Pro a month ago after reading online that the PS4 Pro should be able to read PS4 Backups so backed it up to a spare nvme drive I had

had to redownload everything

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
My PS4 getting Blue Light of Death made me realize I have to start from scratch...
Except I have an older backup with a folder with save files. When I get my PS5 I will tinker with the foldernames and see if I can import those saves.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
That's great actually because I already have my PS4 games on an external USB 3.1 SSD. I didn't expect it to be that simple.

what I'm curious about is if it still does the thing where it tells you something is wrong with the drive at start up and does a quick fix. It doesn't take long, but it's always annoying

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting the same question since it is being ignored

Question. Can I redownload my digital ps4 games on my ps5 without having uninstalling it on my old PS4 this having a copy on each console?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I wonder if someone can help with a question.

I sold my Ps4 back in june (I just bought it to play Ff vii remake). Before selling it, I made a copy of my saves in a USB drive. Then, I copied the created folder (named PS4) in my PC to make sure.

The thing is that I no longer have that USB drive, but I have my backup in my PC.

Will I be able to connect a new USB to PS5, give it the required format, then plug it to my PC, copy the Ps4 folder, and copy my savestates in my Ps5?

I would like to preserve my FF savestate ..

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to import screenshots and video captures from PS4 to PS5?

Same question.
I have all my saves on PSPlus and will redownload the PS4 games that I want.
I just want to import from my PS4 to the PS5 my trophies captures.
Can I simply do that with a properly formatted USB key in order to avoid any problem with the direct PS4 transfer ?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Posting the same question since it is being ignored

Question. Can I redownload my digital ps4 games on my ps5 without having uninstalling it on my old PS4 this having a copy on each console?
Of course. Whatever is on your account digitally can be downloaded.

I wonder if someone can help with a question.

I sold my Ps5 back in june (I just bought it to play Ff vii remake). Before selling it, I made a copy of my saves in a USB drive. Then, I copied the created folder (named PS4) in my PC to make sure.

The thing is that I no longer have that USB drive, but I have my backup in my PC.

Will I be able to connect a new USB to PS5, give it the required format, then plug it to my PC, copy the Ps4 folder, and copy my savestates in my Ps5?

I would like to preserve my FF savestate ..
Yes. As long as your folder paths are correct, then you can add it.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Of course. Whatever is on your account digitally can be downloaded.

Yes. As long as your folder paths are correct, then you can add it.

Thank you, this answer makes me very happy. I left untoched the folder, just ctrl +c ctrl +v. Can't wait to get my PS5, I have a load of PS4 games to play + Demons Souls.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Does anyone know if my internal PS4 drive will directly work as an external one for the PS5 if I put it in an external housing?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you're planning on moving on from PS4 and taking your currently installed games with you to PS5, DO NOT "back up PS4" to external HDD. Simply format the drive and copy your games to the external HDD. That's how the plug and play works. Just wipe the PS4 after you've done this if you plan on selling it.

PS5 can't read the PS4 back up so it's essentially useless to back it up if you're moving to PS5. Don't mess up like me or you'll have to re-download all those PS4 titles again.

Save yourself some bandwidth and time

Thanks for the PSA. Of course I did a PS4 backup and then wiped it last week :( Oh well, at least I got my saves on PS+.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Weird about the RGB range stuff, on my TV automatic looks better than limited since it uses the complete setting on automatic, limited looks washed out

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Weird about the RGB range stuff, on my TV automatic looks better than limited since it uses the complete setting on automatic, limited looks washed out

In theory, as long as the TV and source device match, it shouldn't really matter if you are using Full/Full or Limited/Limited. The issues with washed out colors or crushed blacks occur when one side is set to Limited and the other is set to Full.

However it seems to be somewhat common for TVs to have bugs and not honor the setting properly, particularly in Game Mode.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
In theory, as long as the TV and source device match, it shouldn't really matter if you are using Full/Full or Limited/Limited. The issues with washed out colors or crushed blacks occur when one side is set to Limited and the other is set to Full.

However it seems to be somewhat common for TVs to have bugs and not honor the setting properly, particularly in Game Mode.
Oh makes sense then, thanks for the explanation

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Michael_Jordan_crying.jpg

b4e22378371b81efd4242849b3576a6d.gif

No fucking PS+ cloud saves either. fml

It doesn't transfer your saves?! But you can download them from PS+ ?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
If you're planning on moving on from PS4 and taking your currently installed games with you to PS5, DO NOT "back up PS4" to external HDD. Simply format the drive and copy your games to the external HDD. That's how the plug and play works. Just wipe the PS4 after you've done this if you plan on selling it.

PS5 can't read the PS4 back up so it's essentially useless to back it up if you're moving to PS5. Don't mess up like me or you'll have to re-download all those PS4 titles again.

Save yourself some bandwidth and time

BONUS P.S. "made for apple" headphones now work with dualsense including the microphone :)

8rFy3.jpg

apple.stackexchange.com

Can I use non-apple headphones with an iPhone?

Is it okay to connect non-Apple headphones to an iPhone (a 5s, in this case) or do I need to use apple branded or authorized headphones for some reason?

2nd BONUS: Don't forget to change your your RGB range to limited for accuracy automatic seems borked like it was on PS4 (and I believe PS3 too)

3rd P.S.: on PS5 if there is a game you own and there is a PS4 version in game library with a little lock in the corner, don't delete it, it will just delete the PS5 version as well. For example, with Miles Morales, the PS4 version will show up in your library with a little lock in the corner. Just ignore it or you'll just be deleting the PS5 version if you try to delete or remove it.
Wait, iPhone headphones mic now works?? Finally!!! Thanks OP!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't transfer your saves?! But you can download them from PS+ ?

I don't have PS+, so it seems I'm pretty much fucked on that end with all of my saves.

I transferred everything as Back-up to a drive that wasn't formatted to run games (I've only used it as photo storage and back-up before that and it worked fine). Then as I was prepping my PS4 Pro to go off to a new home I used it to back up everything... no idea this stuff wouldn't be compatible on PS5, you'd figure it would mention that during the process somewhere (unless I missed it). I 'Initialized' the console after the back-up was complete.