• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what build version number are we talking about. I GameFly'd the Switch version and it shipped before I read about the glitches. It just updated to 1.0.3 I think.
The 1.0.3 patch is what causes these visual glitches. You can avoid them though so long as you don;t hop between planets too often (in other words don't have a big play session where you hunt for red rings).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems like a lot of the environment assets underwent subdivision. a good way of getting a better silhouette, but quite unnecessary for a lot of objects

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like one of those tweets got deleted even.

Pretty fucked up and terrible quality control to let this ship.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Sonic Origins better not turn out this way too.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is finally making its return to modern consoles, and it would be a crime to see the magnum opus of the franchise in such a disastrous state.
No promises lol. The reveal trailer already showed a 4:3 Sonic 3&K, who knows how they'll fuck it up!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
They already confirmed that S3&K is widescreen so there would be a huge uproar if they lied about that.

It's not so much will it be widescreen, but how will they achieve that goal?

Will they actually have faithful and decent ports of 3&K ala the iPhone versions of 1 & 2, or will they do some quick and dirty shit?

I'd like to believe they wanna release this as a "premium" product and have Taxman and co. work on the port for 3&K, but considering how badly they fucked up Colors I highly doubt it.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It's tragic the Switch version got shafted so hard. It's a little bewildering to me that they didn't prioritize making the Switch version run well, whether that be through making it the target platform or what have you, only because Colors was initially a Wii game and the Switch is already such a natural fit for it and Sonic as a whole since kids are most likely to engage with it there.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the game officially released today. Was there a day 1 patch of some sort that fixed stuff?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's not so much will it be widescreen, but how will they achieve that goal?

Will they actually have faithful and decent ports of 3&K ala the iPhone versions of 1 & 2, or will they do some quick and dirty shit?

I'd like to believe they wanna release this as a "premium" product and have Taxman and co. work on the port for 3&K, but considering how badly they fucked up Colors I highly doubt it.

I bet they are just gonna stretch those pixels to fit and call it a day. I don't trust they do this right.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Runs pretty well for me. Only bug I've encountered so far is Planet Wisp Act 1's missing skybox, and I haven't noticed any frame drops during gameplay.
Is it true that or you don't buy the "Deluxe" version, you get to keep the original first three Planet Wisp themes?

Someone in the other Colors thread was claiming this but considering that I've now watched six different reviews complaining about the change in Planet Wisp's music, I'm hesitant to believe.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's on Epic so you're not gonna find many people with that experience

I wonder if the decision makers at Sega knew how bad this version would be and decided to swindle some guaranteed cash out of Tim instead of facing the Steam review/refund system. Probably depends on when exactly the EGS decision was made.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Very quick thoughts on the PC version
- Stuttery even on an Intel i9 10th Gen (16 [email protected]) , 64GB RAM 2x2080Ti (SLi off clearly) and a Samsung 980 PRO NVMe Drive.
- Animations made for 30fps gives an odd feel for some parts
- Remixed music is just ok.
- Bloom oversaturated in some parts
- Controls fine, glad to not be using Wii - Chucks for once
- Cutscenes are jarring, especially since they're not upscaled or enhanced in anyway.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I think the best way to play this right now is Xbox and PS4 (thought not through a PS5 as a few people experienced weird crashes or something?)

As a person with a family history of seizures I wouldn't even touch the Switch version with a ten foot pole no matter how out of your way you have to go for the seizure glitch. I played through the whole thing on PS4 and managed to get 100% without a single gameplay glitch though, just some audio hiccups. Audio hiccups aside, I actually enjoyed it more than the original since customizing Sonic was kinda fun and I pushed myself to go for S Ranks this time. The remixed soundtrack is a mixed bag, but there's some real highlights in there, and I appreciate how they snuck in the original soundtrack into some stages. A shame things went so south for this game because of the egregiously handled Switch version (which still needs to be delisted ASAP until they get a patch out).

Also I'm still salty about Blind Squirrel Entertainment (awful name by the way especially with the irony of the Switch glitch in mind) not crediting Godot. If I knew about that I wouldn't have started playing the game at all out of spite. At least they said they'll be fixing that in the update, I guess.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that or you don't buy the "Deluxe" version, you get to keep the original first three Planet Wisp themes?

Someone in the other Colors thread was claiming this but considering that I've now watched six different reviews complaining about the change in Planet Wisp's music, I'm hesitant to believe.
I haven't seen a toggle for the music anywhere, so I guess it's true.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
seems like a lot of the environment assets underwent subdivision. a good way of getting a better silhouette, but quite unnecessary for a lot of objects

seems very inefficient especially for a game like sonic colours where you'll see a lot of background elements for a split second.
I think most people would have been fine with characters being the ones with more poly while the levels could stay as they are.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well if they set up their LoD system correctly you'll only see these smoothed models when you're up close. Not sure if that's the case or not

But with the Switch's slow storage and RAM, it doesn't really matter. They've gotta stream in somehow.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't seen a toggle for the music anywhere, so I guess it's true.
I'm not referring to a toggle.

The claim was:

Deluxe Sonic Colors Ultimate: The first three Planet Wisp tracks have been replaced by remixes
Normal Sonic Colors Ultimate: The first three Planet Wisp tracks are exactly as they were in the Wii original.

Can anyone confirm this for me?
If the game is ever properly patched, it will dictate which version I buy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

The claim was:

Deluxe Sonic Colors Ultimate: The first three Planet Wisp tracks have been replaced by remixes
Normal Sonic Colors Ultimate: The first three Planet Wisp tracks are exactly as they were in the Wii original.

I have the deluxe edition and have only heard remixes for Planet Wisp, so yes, that is true.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think they should have done like Ni No Kuni 1 and just remaster the original game on Switch to keep it at a good framerate and quick loading times without those weird changes to geometry.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's not what I meant. I meant that for Planet Wisp, I've only heard the remixes.
I feel like there's some confusion here, every version of the game has remixes replacing the first few acts of each world. There was some speculation flying around earlier that this was just the Deluxe editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

What the Deluxe edition actually adds is still kind of unknown, but uninstalling the music pack that comes with it doesn't change the music.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like there's some confusion here, every version of the game has remixes replacing the first few acts of each world. There was some speculation flying around earlier that this was just the Deluxe editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

What the Deluxe edition actually adds is still kind of unknown, but uninstalling the music pack that comes with it doesn't change the music.
Damn. That's really disappointing. Thank you for letting me know.

Definitely waiting to see if they fix this game up. Sonic Colors is one of my favorite Sonic games but it's looking less and less likely that I'll be buying this and that really sucks. :(

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
just wanted to again say I've been playing since launch on Switch and have had absolutely ZERO graphical glitches, and I'm on the latest patch. Even watched videos of people that said they could get 100% repro rate if they followed certain steps, and no, nothing. There must be some sort of X factor in play that makes the bugs happen for some and not others.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018

The claim was:

I bought the standard edition for the Switch and the original Planet Wisp music is untouched. I was pleasantly surprised.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I bought the standard edition for the Switch and the original Planet Wisp music is untouched. I was pleasantly surprised.
I'm a little confused by this, the original tracks are there and used in a single act, but after doing a fresh install of the game on another system without the Deluxe DLC, I still have the new track orders.

Are you saying that there's no remixes at all on the Switch version?

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I'm a little confused by this, the original tracks are there and used in a single act, but after doing a fresh install of the game on another system without the Deluxe DLC, I still have the new track orders.

Are you saying that there's no remixes at all on the Switch version?

Oh no, there's definitely remixes on the Switch version. But all of the Planet Wisp songs were from the original 2010 release. I haven't touched the game in a couple days, but I'll check again to confirm. But I'm like 95% sure that the Planet Wisp songs weren't remixes.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I do not understand how this hasn't been pulled from the eShop yet

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
W-what does the music pack do then?
I've gone through the whole sound test now with it installed and uninstalled and... I honestly have no idea.

It doesn't change anything about the tracks played during the levels as far as I can tell, it keeps the remixes for acts 1-3 while 4-6 have the original tracks.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I've gone through the whole sound test now with it installed and uninstalled and... I honestly have no idea.

It doesn't change anything about the tracks played during the levels as far as I can tell, it keeps the remixes for acts 1-3 while 4-6 have the original tracks.

This sounds like it has to be a bug but given that the game doesn't seem to have a remix menu toggle it might be bizarrely intentional.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rofl, you can't be serious. I thought it was gonna be an over exgeration but that was horrific to look at

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Playing on the Series X and have no issues yet. It looks and plays great at 60FPS 4k. The only bug I've noticed is the pop in Digital Foundry pointed out in one or two scenes.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Apparently other versions have seizure-inducing graphics too, albeit to a much lesser degree. I watched a stream of the PC version a couple days ago and there were a couple instances of flashing lights during the credits (that was the only time as far as I know).

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Great to know that Sega is working on fixing it. They still have work to do but at least they fixed the glitch with highest priority.

Let's see if they also improve the rest of the versions.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I saw version 1.4 is out on PS4 now. Does anyone know if it fixes the save data corruption issues? I've been holding off for that. I cannot find patch notes anywhere.