• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame what they've done to one of the better 3D Sonic games. Not just the obvious seizure glitches, but the changes made with some of the soundtrack and the rejiggering of levels with the weird ghost wisp that's kinda broken and the Tails chance stuff and then all the shoddy HD port work done like darker levels but also brighter lights/bloom and various things that just hurt the original intention of stages.

Best way to play still seems to be the Wii version in Dolphin sadly.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Well, people at Sega heard Sonic Colors was actually a good 3D Sonic game and they had to correct that/s

Since the biggest issue is not present in the 1.0 version, they can just pull the day one patch from the eshop before it does more harm, right?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
once you get… past.. someone's death?

They aren't saying the seizure bits are funny because they can cause someone to have a siezure, theya re saying the things happening with Sonic's model, once you ignore the damaging bits, are humorous.

Seeing a 3d model of a blue hedgehog contort into spirals or origami is funny.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It's disgusting that people spreading are "it's just because of emulators" around just because they're salty about others dunking on the Sonic franchise.

People are at risk of actual physical harm or death here. This is bigger than people being mean to your favorite corporation. Grow up.
The most dumb is that it was only ONE glitch from ONE guy that said that he used emulator, yet now for some reason people claim "some are real some are fake"

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The most dumb is that it was only ONE glitch from one guy that said that he used emulator, yet now for some reason it a case of "some are real some are fake"
all glitches are real

it's just that the glitches also happen on emulator because the emulator is accurate enough to get the same glitches as the real hardware

this is not a hard concept to understand

no one can convince me that this is a hard concept to understand

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is supposed to be dropped off tomorrow. I guess I will see how it goes. If it works without the update maybe I'll see if I can keep it from updating. Hopefully they fix it soon because stupidly I sold my wii version figuring this one would be better.

I have a pretty good record of getting through games without hitting some of the major issues that others have. Hopefully this does the same for me.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
all glitches are real

it's just that the glitches also happen on emulator because the emulator is accurate enough to get the same glitches as the real hardware

this is not a hard concept to understand

no one can convince me that this is a hard concept to understand
This. Multiple people have shown these glitches on real hardware at this point.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Most of the reviews that are gonna come out for the Switch version, are going to be post patch (which seemingly broke the game), and after all the seizure inducing bugs became widespread knowledge. Its going to be an absolute bloodbath.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the reviews that are gonna come out for the Switch version, are going to be post patch (which seemingly broke the game), and after all the seizure inducing bugs became widespread knowledge. Its going to be an absolute bloodbath.
Were there outlets that got a review code for switch prior to the 1.0.3 patch?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

This thread is killing me. This guy is SO SURE an AI did the porting work. Like, he seems to be getting confused about AI upscaling textures, but he is ALL IN on AI being able to "upscale code" whatever that means.

Oct 27, 2017
Shame. I was gonna get the PS4 version when the physical version drops, as this is supposed to be one of the few 3D Sonic games that are good. Have Sega said anything about a new release date for the EU physical version after they delayed it?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This thread is killing me. This guy is SO SURE an AI did the porting work. Like, he seems to be getting confused about AI upscaling textures, but he is ALL IN on AI being able to "upscale code" whatever that means.

I'd love to see the material this person learned this from

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
This has been reported all throughout the day, but I think it merits being highlighted. Linking to videos in question instead of embedding them for obvious reasons:

https://twitter.com/smoncdahonk/status/1434197084299620352?s=21

This is on top of all other performance issues that are already being reported.

Kinda looks like a GPU dying...

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I appreciate this thread if for no other reason than to watch people on the internet twist themselves into pretzels in order to avoid admitting Sega put out a shitty product.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They aren't saying the seizure bits are funny because they can cause someone to have a siezure, theya re saying the things happening with Sonic's model, once you ignore the damaging bits, are humorous.

Seeing a 3d model of a blue hedgehog contort into spirals or origami is funny.
I'm aware, I didn't interpret or suggest it as them finding the seizure bits funny. I just found the wording of their post to be unusually cruel. Perhaps "get past the seizure inducing bits" rather than "get past the seizures"

but yeah, the model contorting is funny

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Social media manager for Sonic acknowledging that they're aware of the issues.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Take it out at the speed of sound,
Flashing lights, colours all around,
I'm getting dizzy too many lights for me,
What is the refund policy?

Not looking back,
Just giving up,
Not letting go,
I'll get that refund.

I'm gonna reach for the cart
And take it back to Walmart,
I'm gonna find my own way,
And get my money back today.
Thanks for making my day. Sang the whole thing.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's disgusting that people spreading are "it's just because of emulators" around just because they're salty about others dunking on the Sonic franchise.
The stupid thing here is, I don't think anybody wanted this to happen. Heck the initial reports were coming from people who were demonstrably fans of the franchise.
They wanted Sonic Colours Ultimate to be good.

We all wanted it to be good.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the new Sonic Cycle?
It's the same cycle, just a different part of the cycle that most are unaware about outside of the dedicated fanbase. Sonic Adventure DX is a bad port of Sonic Adventure, SA2B, while not as bad, has similar problems. But they get worse every time they port them to new systems. We also have Sonic the Hedgehog on the GBA, and countless other bad to barely decent ports of the classic Sonic games. They still only make barely decent ports except when they're contracting to M2.

Just for SADX, let me introduce you to this site! They've cataloged all the changes from the Dreamcast original, up to the current ports.

Start here – Dreamcastify

Oct 28, 2017
Take it out at the speed of sound,
Flashing lights, colours all around,
I'm getting dizzy too many lights for me,
What is the refund policy?

Not looking back,
Just giving up,
Not letting go,
I'll get that refund.

I'm gonna reach for the cart
And take it back to Walmart,
I'm gonna find my own way,
And get my money back today.
Reviews with scores so high
It doesn't feel so right

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
The most dumb is that it was only ONE glitch from one guy that said that he used emulator, yet now for some reason people claim "some are real some are fake"
Lol yeah a guy said "I played this on Yuzu" and that somehow morphed into "there's a anti-sonic caball making fake(?) glitches on emulators!! Arm the battle stations!"

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah a guy said "I played this on Yuzu" and that somehow morphed into "there's a anti-sonic caball making fake(?) glitches on emulators!! Arm the battle stations!"

It's like those people cannot believe Sega would ever release a bad, broken port of a Sonic game, because such a thing has obviously never happened before.

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
Sometimes the Wisp music doesn't play. It's a weird bug and there's no telling when it will versus when it won't.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
www.resetera.com

Sonic Colors Ultimate Review Thread Sega - Reviews

Well, haven't seen much in this thread about the PC version so I'll chime in. The graphics settings are bare bones. All you get is a resolution selection, Fullscreen, Windowed, and Borderless Fullsecreen selection, and V-sync on or off. Changing between resolutions or display options can cause...
Ugh.

This is all-around embarrassing. Thank you for the warning.

Easy Allies just streamed the Xbox version and when they used the drill there's no music. Did they remove the sweet drill music for this version?
No, just all the other sweet music.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I... actually dug some of the glitching color effects. Like abstract Rez/Child of Eden.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
They go on every time about not wanting to put out a bad, rushed product and yet it's the same garbage so often.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The stories we've heard from Wha Happun, GeekCritique and other Sonic behind-the-scenes videos and interviews are quite telling.

Devs who worked on Sonic Heroes:
"Sega told us to stop sending them glitch reports and not to spend any more time cleaning up the game. They said they had a deadline to meet, so unless a glitch literally stops you from completing a level, do not report or resolve it as a glitch. Ignore it and move on".

Devs who worked on Sonic '06
"Sega had no interest in the quality of the product or any of the issues we were facing, we had to have the game out for the agreed upon launch date"

Devs who worked on Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
"When the game was only months away from completion, Sega told us to rework everything so it would run on the Wii U. So we had built an entire game on an engine that was essentially not supported by the console Sega wanted us to develop it on. This was after months of little to no communication or feedback from them and suddenly they're telling us that they've changed the console it will release on but we still need to have it ready for the same date, no matter how unplayable it is".

Notice any trends here?
Would love to hear what the devs finally say about this one.

btw - I'm a Sonic fan and Sonic Colors was one of my favorite 3D Sonic titles. I'm so disappointed in how this has turned out.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
This is unbleavable especially for a company like Sega with one of their most valuable IPs. The quality assurance for that game simply doesn't exist if this is what's playable right now.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Jesus, that quote from Big Red Button. What a shame, I wonder what the game could have been. Instead Sega shat on their first big project as a studio and fucked it their trajectory.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So it sounds like if you own the OG Wii version, it'd be better to just emulate it with dolphin and you'd have the superior version. Add in some HD textures and raise the resolution to 4K. Given you have an Xbox Series S/X or a good enough PC of course.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
the hedgehogs dilemma
sonics self hatred has harmed other
the glitches gave me evangelion vibes