• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said who cares if it is reactive and if I knew Sony's marketing plan. Of course I don't lol. I don't work at Sony. My point was an opinion. If you don't care, fine. But that's my perception based on how they've communicated.

You can disagree, but your approach is basically, is that I don't know. We obviously lol. I'm offering my POV.

Do political commentators know why Trump chose his debate style last night? No, but they provided their feedback on it. That's why I'm pushing back.
Fair enough. This year has been challenging in many ways. I understand the desire to know why.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Their messaging has been good and the marketing is really starting to ramp up. I was bombarded with playstation adds all day yesterday watching baseball playoffs.

They showed us their exceptional launch lineup. All they need is a breakdown and ui segment.

There's a reason this thing is being shadow dropped and still selling out.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
No, I think the PS5 will be successful. Hugely so. I just find the marketing so mediocre for such a powerful brand. Blogs and trailers so far. There's a lack of hunger.

I know Sony used to have these prelaunch events in NYC--I got invites previously. They can't do that now anywhere due to COVID. Those were very hype.

What exactly were you expecting them to do at this point?

May 12, 2020
I'm not even getting at launch lol. And yea, I'm a fan, but I get everything. I'm talking about PR.

We still have a month to go. RELAX.

They've been posting a lot of info this week on PS Blog about upcoming games. There are also Japanese Youtubers getting hands-on with the console this weekend. More info is coming. Again Relax.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They'll be fine. The negative pr talk hasn't invaded mainstream social media the way the Xbox One negative publicity did. Also while Microsoft has communicated a lot better and is getting a lot more positive buzz, it is not being delivered with the same newsworthy swagger as Sony did back at the launch of the PS5. The one thing that has invaded social media is the demand for a PS5. I think the PS5 is firmly on track to repeat as market leader. It will take a major misstep in my opinion for that not to happen. It would be a different story if Microsoft had a killer launch title in combination with a cheaper price (on the Series X) and a greater supply of units (from what I've seen, they've made even less systems than Sony).
That and the huge amount of GF memes on IG about buying a ps5 for their partner is insane.

I see no Xbox series X on that end or twitter jokes, you might laugh but even my girl was like " these ps5 memes are hilarious I might get you one" haha (she preordered using my card while I was at work)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly were you expecting them to do at this point?
Check the video I posted.
We still have a month to go. RELAX.

They've been posting a lot of info this week on PS Blog about upcoming games. There are also Japanese Youtubers getting hands-on with the console this weekend. More info is coming. Again Relax.
I'm pretty relaxed. Not idea why critiquing a company's PR shows anxiety lol.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about state of plays is that they're imitating Nintendo directs where its just games and more games, but sometimes Nintendo will just stop all that and talk about an update coming to switch or to give more info about things that need it, SoP now is just shooting out trailers and them having all the PR after the fact

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've come to accept that this is not the same Sony that we had in 2013. A lot has changed in 7+ years.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their messaging has been good and the marketing is really starting to ramp up. I was bombarded with playstation adds all day yesterday watching baseball playoffs.

They showed us their exceptional launch lineup. All they need is a breakdown and ui segment.

There's a reason this thing is being shadow dropped and still selling out.

V1DcW2A.jpg

ps5 is bigger than xbox in the "real world". they didnt mess up

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
They know the system will be sold out at launch and some time after. Imo they just want Microsoft to reveal as much as possible about their Series X/S.

Then they share/show more about the PS5 to get back attention.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
That and the huge amount of GF memes on IG about buying a ps5 for their partner is insane.

I see no Xbox series X on that end or twitter jokes, you might laugh but even my girl was like " these ps5 memes are hilarious I might get you one" haha (she preordered using my card while I was at work)
Yea Social Media is hype about PS5 way more than the competition . Girls buying their Man a PS5 meme is out of control

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Yeah this has been a pr nightmare for them. It's funny how both companies are messing up on opposite ways like ms on the games front and Sony on everything else but games front😶😶🤐🤐

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Honestly though, their marketing seems a bit out of whack lately. I thought the announcements via PS Blog thing was just going to act as a lead up, but the silence has been surprising on some fronts. I think they just need a series of videos outlining different features.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Outside of the July showcase, pretty much everything we know about the Series X/S has come from Xbox Wire posts, random YouTube video drops and press previews.

There's been specific PR mishaps in terms of the actual messages, but the delivery method is fine. Not everything has to be a State of Play or what have you. Especially in times like these.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What more could I ask for? They showed the specs, prices, and the games. Games are the sole reason why I buy these consoles, and I see the benefits from the extra horsepower. I would actually love with they withheld the UI from public release so I can embrace the newness of it myself come launch day.

being so worried about how some corporation is marketing a product they already sold me on before they showed a logo is just too much lmao.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yea Social Media is hype about PS5 way more than the competition . Girls buying their Man a PS5 meme is out of control

www.instagram.com

544K views · 37K likes | Molusco on Instagram: "Él pidió un PlayStation 5 y pues... 🤷‍♂️ #NoVacilen #ELMoluscoDePuertoRico 🎧 (🎥 @bmrtwins1 )"

38K likes, 1,340 comments - yosoymolusco on September 30, 2020: "Él pidió un PlayStation 5 y pues... 🤷‍♂️ #NoVacilen #ELMoluscoDePuertoRico 🎧 (🎥..."

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are using communication for products, not as a product. We are in September and people are already fantasying about the next E3 : that's how you transform communication into a product.

Also they've managed to get out almost every controversies with a jūdō trick that consists into transforming all negativity into endorsement. Crossplay, backward compatibility, PS5 architecture, cross-gen title, VR support, leaks, COVID cancelling etc.

And that trick is to not react on the hour after a trend coming from JoeGaming and fuelled by Twitter, but to let things slow down and get back right at the moment where people were ready to forget it.

And finally, when Xbox executives are giving interviews on a 6-9 weeks rotations (and more sometimes), all their executives stay on business talk channels, only creatives are sent to the large audience (with of course an exception for the PS5 launch).

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Probably worth pointing out that they were the ones publicly saying they were going to hit as many public conventions as possible throughout the year. I think if their strategy was to constantly have people playing PS5 all year then COVID basically torpedoed their entire strategy.
This is a good thought, I remember them saying similarly when they said they would not be present for E3 2020 but would be at a lot more events throughout the year. Covid definitely hit them there, I think there were even two events Sony was going to be at but publicly backed out when covid became big early in the new year.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation is fine. They're not the ones who have to do double-time like Xbox does. Era is on the pulse of daily news but most people just don't bother.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even getting at launch lol. And yea, I'm a fan, but I get everything. I'm talking about PR.

Check the video I posted above and get back to me.

If the console pre order sold out in minutes, if online engagement seems to be mostly positive, if hype seems to be at incredibly high levels....at what point are you willing to entertain the possibility that maybe your expectations and wants/needs in terms of marketing and promotion are simply out of touch?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
unfortunately the only reason im getting one at launch is because im blessed with some disposable income and I want to play demons souls. Thats it. Nothing else from the Sony side is getting me interested. If that game was not day 1. I would have *zero* interest.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If the console pre order sold out in minutes, if online engagement seems to be mostly positive, if hype seems to be at incredibly high levels....at what point are you willing to entertain the possibility that maybe your expectations and wants/needs in terms of marketing and promotion are simply out of touch?

This is Era, where anything that doesn't pander to enthusiast expectations is objectively bad and/or a failure even if there's hard evidence it objectively isn't.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
They set some kind of a competition internally? Lets fuck up our pr messaging, trailers and communication, lets even start lying to customers and see how quickly are we going to sell out anyway? I dunno, but this shit that they are pulling seems hard to accomplish even on purpose.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Their communication is lacking, it's like they want to just show the games, or as Jim says let the games do the talking, but without answers the games by themselves cannot do all the speaking.

Having Geoff tweet out info after was terrible, the scattered blog posts are terrible, it's as if Mattricks old PR team moved to Sony when house left.

I think a lot of the old Sony was lost when Tretton left, Layden was good once he got into his groove but I've seen nothing but "businessman" from Jim.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What more could I ask for? They showed the specs, prices, and the games. Games are the sole reason why I buy these consoles, and I see the benefits from the extra horsepower. I would actually love with they withheld the UI from public release so I can embrace the newness of it myself come launch day.

being so worried about how some corporation is marketing a product they already sold me on before they showed a logo is just too much lmao.

imo the ui is intentionally delayed because they are doing some new stuff and they dont want to get copied at launch, they want to have few months with new stuff on their ui when xbox has mostly the current gen ui. (when is revealed we will know like we estimated the price range)

the price reveal was good strategy because if they went first ms would just say 300 for xss and seem like they are undercutting them which is false. the xss leak imo hurt ms, because they wanted to have price reveal the same week the last state of play with ps5 price was to steal some of their pr. the price strategy worked well and the public views it as good pricing and the xss isn't seen as undercutting.

the console design was shown in june like the ps4, and got millions more views due to anticipation compared to xbox

Last edited:
May 12, 2020

The only people complaining about UI and other stuff are hardcore gamers on Era, Gaf, and Reddit.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Honestly, I've just been getting PS3 flashbacks the entire leadup to this gen. Sony feels like they're so unbelievably confident right now that they feel justified in this "radio silence followed by occasional spurts of information" strategy they've been doing for the past two years.

It also probably doesn't help that Jim Ryan is honestly just not a good public leader. I don't know anything about how he operates behind the scenes, but his public-facing interviews are always very bad ("why would anyone use this?", etc) and his presence in Sony events is markedly less charismatic than most of Sony's past leaders. Even Andrew House felt like a better showman than Jim does right now. Sony needs a better spokesperson than they currently have.

Now, for clarity, I don't like Phil Spencer all that much either, and I feel like his "tell people exactly what they want to hear all the time, even if you know you'll have to backpedal it in a month" strategy isn't the ideal way to sell a console, but at least Xbox is communicating with their fans. By comparison, Sony is acting like they already have this in the bag when Microsoft has been making a lot of very strong moves to knock them off their perch.

You having PS3 flashbacks makes me think you don't actually remember how poorly the PS3's launch was handled. Like, there's no comparison.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No clue. It's been atrocious really. Without them talking, it leaves the internet to fill in the space left by them and it's not going great?

But evidently they don't need it, so that's no skin off their back.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why they felt the need to blatantly lie by saying they believe in generations despite knowing they were gonna have cross-gen for a few of their major titles just like MS. Seems pointless and brought on more backlash than anything. Just be upfront about it.
Where was the lie?

Do they not have PS5 only games? At launch? Next year?

Just because we didn't know what other games were gonna be cross gen doesn't make it a lie.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Their messaging is absolute garbage right now, and I have to imagine part of the problem is that everyone that was actually a positive in their messaging back in 2013 is now gone. The new leadership at PS is just trash in my opinion.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really not been too much of a fan. Sure they essentially "can't fail", because most people are automatically going to be interested in PS5 as they mostly own a PS4 already, and I'm sure the exclusives help too, unless they did some really terrible moves, like Xbox One launch level moves. I really feel Xbox did a better job this gen in terms of marketting, we're seeing previews already, I feel they've been pretty transparent (other than ignoring the biggest non-secret that was the Series S for a year), and been making some pretty consumer friendly moves throughout, but simply didn't seem to be as popular as what Sony did.

So I'm gonna start with all the negative stuff, as I think it mostly has been really, I've seen their marketting and promotion as weak, at least leading up to this point, and it annoyingly/sadly worked for most of it. They released the name of the PS5, like that was going to be such a revelation, and then the logo, which again, shouldn't have been much of a revelation, but this did get a lot of retweets and etc. apparently, which I guess mean it went well? The articles they did earlier in the year I was more of a fan of, it was sudden which was weird, but there was at least info to digest. Since those points though, they've just been incredibly quiet and really it's felt like they were just waiting for Xbox to make a move so they could react to it later and gain some points over them.
The other issue is their cross gen stuff, basically no promotion at all. I'm not aware of anything they're doing to upgrade their existing PS4 games on PS5, other than Spiderman which they essentially want people to pay full price for, while I'm seeing Xbox doing it for free. Depends how PS5 boost mode will be, but doubt it's gonna shine in comparison to what Xbox is doing. That and Xbox has the "Smart delivery" program, which sure Sony doesn't technically need.. if things were clear, which they're not. Their PS store listing for Miles Morales for instance mentions nothing about a free ugprade for PS5, and I haven't noticed the same for other games with that confirmed. Ideally their store should be saying what offers free PS5 upgrades and it'd be nice to state which games don't, which Xbox's smart delivery icon basically tells you, which makes me feel Sony either didn't consider, or simply didn't want to consider anything about cross gen or easing the transition as much as they talk about it.
Then there's the long periods of time without any news, to think prices/dates only went up like 2 weeks ago, (Xbox weren't much better here too sure), and you can blame covid to a degree about this sure, but to just two months before launch? Then lastly, a lot of news they left out of their big video... when pre-orders go up, they're pricing games more now, actual confirmed LAUNCH titles, a bunch of PS5 exclusive games confirmed on PS4 too. Some of this just seemed incompetent, because WHY wouldn't you want to say Demons Souls is a launch title, but the rest could be seen as being designed to be mentioned off-screen to get less attention, so not a fan of that. I'd also say the vagueness of what they define as exclusive is eyebrow raising too, Rise of the Tomb raider got pounced on for this, and we're not seeing that to the same degree for things like FF16, Project Athia. Timed exclusive or forever exclusive? Also there's the OS, still nothing about that. Or a teardown. Xbox simply has them beat in how much they've shown and Sony just feels to be playing catch up or reacting to them more than doing their own thing that impresses on their terms.

As for the good parts... their PS5 showcase event was great, honestly that's been the only thing that's gave me more of a feel of what to expect for next gen and ponder the possibilities of what this hardware can achieve. Honestly a large part of this was simply due to Ratchet and Clank, being teleported to entirely new worlds instantly was great to see and something I wouldn't have been able to imagine happening on current gen. That and the whole video was presented well. Their latest video was pretty good too in terms of announcements, starting with FF16 was huge to me, and ending with GoW 2 (Even though I feel Sony needs to know by now, simply revealing a logo isn't a reveal, I honestly would have been totally fine if they just showed kratos staring into distance, at least SOMETHING, at least nice to see 2021, which I'm almost certain we're gonna see delayed, but easily gonna be one of my most anticipated games this gen.

Really that's it, I don't feel these are really marketting/PR things, but I could praise that they're feeling to be evolving the experience more with next gen when compared to Xbox in terms of the controller. Xbox seemed to more just refine their X1 controller, which is fine and has it's own pros with using older controllers on the Series S/X, but then I see dual sense with adapative triggers, bigger vibration tech, entirely new controller design and that does excite me more. No idea about their OS, but imagine it will be different. Again, it's not saying the Xbox OS is bad for not drastically changing, and Xbox's OS may even be better in the end because of it, but the idea of a new OS does excite me more.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why they felt the need to blatantly lie by saying they believe in generations despite knowing they were gonna have cross-gen for a few of their major titles just like MS. Seems pointless and brought on more backlash than anything. Just be upfront about it.

taking something like that as a "blatant lie" and ascribing some sort of "backlash" to it feels like a very insular, "reset-era" perspective. You honestly think the average consumer sees things that way?

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that the marketing for its major competitor at Xbox is doing a fantastic job of marketing and messaging over the past month or so, so it makes it stand out even more. There's something off, they are doing an awful job. And to preemptively address it, this doesn't necessarily translate to hype or sales numbers being bad and I'm not suggesting PS5's won't fly off shelves. Their last games showcase was fucking weird, had bad info, and a huge lack of any details. The transferring save bullshit should be clarified, we haven't seen a glimpse of the UI, etc.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think they just want to flood the last month with info. Might not be for people here, but with the mass audience it will probably work better for them.