• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading basics on what ARC is and i don't see how this helps us with old optical headsets at all.
I was thinking of using it as a dedicated HDMI cable to output an optical audio (using the converter/extractor device). That way I wouldn't have to worry about any video degradation of a video passthrough from PS5. However, now I found out that doing this approach on LG TVs at least introduces noticeable audio lag. So basically now it's either get a new receiver, forget about surround altogether, or hope that I can find a good HDMI audio extractor that can go directly on the PS5 HDMI line, and really pass through its video with no degradation (and have no lag in audio). I think I may just stick with stereo sound to my receiver, and then headphones from there, and let Tempest hopefully do it's magic.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I got nervous for a sec, we have the Soundbar from Sonos and that's optical, but that goes into the TV, and plays whatever is in HDMI to the TV. When I first read this I was like shit, I'm not buying another soundbar, this one works fine.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! What if i plug my digital converter on the tv to use my headphones, it would lose quality?

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a little confused by that page.

For A50's on Series X you just need to update the firmware and you're good to go as game audio and chat will work over USB. Also supports Dolby Atmos directly if licensed.
For A50's on PS5 you need to update the firmware which gives you game sounds and chat over USB but if you want to mix them you need to buy a separate HDMI adaptor.

Why does the PS5 version require additional hardware for mixing whilst the Xbox version apparently works fine with just a firmware update?

As for 3D audio, you can turn off the Dolby option on the headset and set system audio to Stereo so you're good to go for PS5 3D audio.

What does the mixing offer over the USB audio? Right now my A50 base station is connected to my Pro via USB and optical.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Phil Spencer said the data they had suggested the optical port wasn't worth the cost of inclusion in the Series X. I wonder if that is the same reasoning for why Sony haven't included it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
is there a hdmi + optical splitter that doesn't require a power source?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
What does the mixing offer over the USB audio? Right now my A50 base station is connected to my Pro via USB and optical.
The mixing is a different thing from USB audio. A lot of headsets are used for game audio and party chat, and a majority (though becoming less common these days) take the game audio from the optical cable.
The mixing is essential because invariably either the game audio or the chat audio will be too loud/too low, so you'll want to adjust the balance between them as well as setting a master volume. You'll often do this multiple times in a session as the game audio occasionaly overpowers your friends talking (during an exposition for example) or your friends won't stop chatting during a cutscene, so you simply turn them down allowing you to hear the game clearly.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I asked Astro about this and this was the reply -

From the information provided on Sony forums, 3D audio is only provided via the controllers 3.5mm jack.

That can't be true right? They have to rely on information on a Sony forum rather than getting information directly from Sony themselves? If that's the case Sony are treating partners pretty poorly in the late stage run-up to release.
Additionally I can't see any good reason to restrict 3D audio to the controller, it's just a stereo mix, no reason at all why it can't be sent via USB audio.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
I had a X900F
Worked just fine like that
Now I have a C9
Also works just fine

Mine is XE900 so pretty similar... did you try and pass DTS/Dolby through optical from consoles to your receiver via TV?

Also only the Sony-provided Video app will pass through those formats when played from USB 3.0 device, no other app is allowed sadly (not to mention it stutters after last year's update).

I have both PS4 and Xbox One via optical cable switch hooked to the receiver directly instead of trusting the TV getting the sound from HDMI and passing it through optical.

Also in terms of receivers the Onkyo I mentioned is nice and all, but I guess it makes sense to wait for the first models releasing this year with HDMI 2.1 features to be more futureproof...

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I asked Astro about this and this was the reply -

From the information provided on Sony forums, 3D audio is only provided via the controllers 3.5mm jack.
This can't be right can it? It's severely limiting to all kinds of set ups. 3D audio is just a stereo signal in any case so I don't see why it would only be through the controller.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
That can't be true right? They have to rely on information on a Sony forum rather than getting information directly from Sony themselves? If that's the case Sony are treating partners pretty poorly in the late stage run-up to release.
Additionally I can't see any good reason to restrict 3D audio to the controller, it's just a stereo mix, no reason at all why it can't be sent via USB audio.

I read it as they don't really know. But quite why they don't know is strange. If Sony's new headphones are wireless then surely others will work as well.
hopefully get some more clarity nearer release

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. I'm running it on just USB and it works just fine.

Just to follow up on this, I had my optical connected until this thread brought up the lack of optical port in the PS5. To test it, I pulled the optical connection and just left the USB cable connected and then held the PS button in the middle of the controller - selected Sound/Devices - and selected Output to Headphones "All Audio". It works just fine.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
The mixing is a different thing from USB audio. A lot of headsets are used for game audio and party chat, and a majority (though becoming less common these days) take the game audio from the optical cable.
The mixing is essential because invariably either the game audio or the chat audio will be too loud/too low, so you'll want to adjust the balance between them as well as setting a master volume. You'll often do this multiple times in a session as the game audio occasionaly overpowers your friends talking (during an exposition for example) or your friends won't stop chatting during a cutscene, so you simply turn them down allowing you to hear the game clearly.

Thank you, I see now. So looks like I'll be getting that splitter but the registration system at Astro site is down, so won't be able to register for the discount code atm according to their subreddit

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Found some more info from Astro Twitter account. The PS5 setup will be similar to the PS4 Slim connection for A50 for example

blog.astrogaming.com

ASTRO + PS4 Slim - ASTRO Gaming Blog

The new standard Sony PlayStation® 4 (aka “PS4 Slim”) is now available to consumers worldwide. The PS4 Slim does not have an optical audio output our products rely on to…

Last edited:

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
They need to update that FAQ with more info instead of searching their Twitter replies

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

cool to see but

someone explain to me what this means?

"The controls on this new headset are also unchanged, with a chat and game audio mix dial that's easily accessible on the back side of the left ear cup. Unfortunately, this feature is currently usable only on PCs due to the way Sony currently handles routing game audio and chat audio via USB on its PlayStation consoles. The left ear cup also contains a retractable boom microphone. "

My Steelseries 840's chat/game mix slider works both over my ps4 and my pc. So how is the new high end headset a downgrade from the 800s and 840s ?

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Just realized this will ruin rocksmith for me. I tried using Hdmi through the arc channel and the lag was terrible. Not sure if there's a alternative, since the manual and the game recommends it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't be the first time. The 3D audio in the Playstation 4 headsets was all software in the system itself, but they were the only ones that could use it.

Just realized this will ruin rocksmith for me. I tried using Hdmi through the arc channel and the lag was terrible. Not sure if there's a alternative, since the manual and the game recommends it.

eArc corrects the lag and forces audio/video sync. Annoyingly, that means a TV and/or receiver upgrade though...

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. This is a problem for me. Due to an annoying sound setup, I *have* to use optical or I can't get surround sound. :/

does anyone know when the Astro converter comes out? I see other options on amazon, but I doubt they work seamlessly with 4k HDR.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just learned about this. How the heck am I going to solve this? Right now I have an HDMI connected from my PS4 to my TV while an optical cable from the PS4 to my surround system w/blu ray player from 2011, which I'm pretty sure only supports 1080p.

Suggestions!?

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time. The 3D audio in the Playstation 4 headsets was all software in the system itself, but they were the only ones that could use it.

eArc corrects the lag and forces audio/video sync. Annoyingly, that means a TV and/or receiver upgrade though...
Thanks, assuming C9 or CX has it!

I think the problem is that you need to the audio to come out immediately as you're playing. Since it's just a plain electric guitar and having the audio come out even a couple hundred milliseconds messes with me personally.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Just learned about this. How the heck am I going to solve this? Right now I have an HDMI connected from my PS4 to my TV while an optical cable from the PS4 to my surround system w/blu ray player from 2011, which I'm pretty sure only supports 1080p.

Suggestions!?

If your TV has an optical port use that if not get one of those hdmi audio extractors.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
For those that say that an HDMI audio extractor should work fine, won't that device also need to support HDMI 2.1? Otherwise it'll interfere with the 4K 120Hz signal, and also features like variable frame rate, right?

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure it does. So I put the the optical cable in my TV instead of the PS4? How will the PS4 "find" the audio then? Do I have do to something with the TV settings?

Yes Optical cable goes from TV to HT and as for settings for PS4 it should be set to HDMI OUT as its Primary Output Port and audio format should be set to Bitstream (Dolby) for the TV its audio output should be set to optical and HDMI audio format should be set to bitstream and the audio format to dolby digital (This is based on a samsung tv maybe the setting are called different on your tv).

This way the PS4 sends the audio signal to the TV and the TV passes it through to HT via the optical port.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes Optical cable goes from TV to HT and as for settings for PS4 it should be set to HDMI OUT as its Primary Output Port and audio format should be set to Bitstream (Dolby) for the TV its audio output should be set to optical and HDMI audio format should be set to bitstream and the audio format to dolby digital (This is based on a samsung tv maybe the setting are called different on your tv).

This way the PS4 sends the audio signal to the TV and the TV passes it through to HT via the optical port.

Thanks! I will try this out later! Sounds like it should work.

Nov 8, 2017
Only reason I had an Astro Mixamp was for virtual surround. Seems like external virtual surround won't be necessary anyway with PS5 having Tempest Engine built in.

Oct 25, 2017
For those that say that an HDMI audio extractor should work fine, won't that device also need to support HDMI 2.1? Otherwise it'll interfere with the 4K 120Hz signal, and also features like variable frame rate, right?
No
The HDMI still goes from the Ps5 to the tv. HDMI 2.1 and all that.
Then you do HDMI out from your tv into the audio extractor and from that into your receiver or sound bar etc

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that manufacturers are still selling devices with optical inputs if they're meant to be playing anything above stereo. This is 100% on headphone and sounder manufacturers sticking to a port that's been obsolete for a long ass time.