• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That's not a differentiator.
It kinda is because we never had something like that on consoles.

Less so in the sense that Ms has telegraphed that for so long that I doubt Sony won't have something similar, but it's still a nice feature to have and it is good that Ms is taking care of the communication part so consumers understand how that feature affects them, which was one of the reasons they almost sunk xbone.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's like people forget cross-buy's been a thing for years.
The feature is not about cross buy. It's about a single game being able to target devices from multiple generations.

There are significant differences between them such as unified player, achievements, savings pool... Not that you need this feature to implement those things, but seeing how little devs actually takes care of those stuff when a new gen appears it's still a nice feature to have.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
The feature is not about cross buy. It's about a single game being able to target devices from multiple generations.

There are significant differences between them such as unified player, achievements, savings pool... Not that you need this feature to implement those things, but seeing how little devs actually takes care of those stuff when a new gen appears it's still a nice feature to have.
Yep crossbuy was a thing when tlou came out on PS4 it absolutely isn't the normal and is great consumer move - hopefully PlayStation follow suit and it forces third party's to do likewise like cross play is becoming now , consumer power goes along way if both main devs support it for first party

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
nothing

we're just thirsty
AridAbandonedAxolotl-small.gif

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

The article is about buying an Xbox One game and not having to re-buy it if it gets a next-gen remaster/update.

That's not a differentiator and GI.biz are just assuming it is because of TLOU: Remastered's success in 2014.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It's like people forget cross-buy's been a thing for years.
Smart delivery is not just cross-buy. Xbox has also had cross buy for years with Play Anywhere.

It seems like part of Smart buy does have something to do with entitlements, but more so with delivery/packaging of the game itself. "Fast Start" seemed like the beginning, and now Smart delivery is the next step.

I would expect this is part of Microsoft's "GameCore OS" which is supposed to make it easier for developers to support multiple platforms with a single game package. Gamecore is part of Microsoft's broader Windows Core OS. If my prediction is true, it'd mean that games that run on Gamecore would be a single store sku. Whereas games that don't support it may feature distinct last gen / next gen versions, where access depends on how the games publisher has established entitlements.

Maybe tomwarren knows something about this?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this might not be the best thread to ask this, but... Is there any info about new xbox controller dimensions, I just remember that it will be a bit smaller?

I really hope they won't make it too different.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know this might not be the best thread to ask this, but... Is there any info about new xbox controller dimensions, I just remember that it will be a bit smaller?

I really hope they won't make it too different.
I am not exactly certain, maybe try here:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X: What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming (12TF, RDNA2 & Zen 2, Hardware Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading) OFFICIAL SPECS

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/02/Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg?w=1920 TLDR - 12 Teraflops Custom RDNA 2 & Zen 2 Processor Variable Rate Shading Hardware Accelerated DirectX Raytracing Custom Built SSD Quick Resume for Multiple Games Dynamic Latency Input HDMI 2.1...

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda is because we never had something like that on consoles.

Less so in the sense that Ms has telegraphed that for so long that I doubt Sony won't have something similar, but it's still a nice feature to have and it is good that Ms is taking care of the communication part so consumers understand how that feature affects them, which was one of the reasons they almost sunk xbone.
We did have something like that though. The beginning of PS4/XB1 launch had select titles with this offering.
Battlefield 4 being onee of them. If bought PS3/360 digital, pre-order, or the deluxe edition you got a free upgrade for PS4/XB1 version. Otherwise there was a $10 upgrade fee.

Last edited:

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
One of the mod's here claims Sony has something in place.

People brought up their "cross buy" but that's digital only and was mostly used for indies.. so I'm assuming they've expanded the idea. I think it was Matt.
Mod's claim?? I didn't notice it. Which post please?

How many people don't know about features of PlayStation?

Cross buy: Buy once and have multiple versions of the same game
Cross save: saved data shared between different versions
Trophy: Unified record of trophies for different versions is supported

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Bit offtopic: rumor ampere targeting 33tf
www.pcgamesn.com

If the Nvidia Ampere rumours are true, there’s a 33 TFLOPS GPU on Geekbench

Previous rumours suggest a doubling of floating point units in Ampere GPUs, which would put the leaked chip at 33.2 TFLOPS

Does anyone here knows how many GPUs NVidia sells on year basis? I'm asking Just to know if would be viable to Microsoft to launch a U$1000,00 console.

I have heard to expect 4x improvements over last gen, but is that taking into account possible improvements from hyper threading? Whats your expectations given what we know? How do those jags even run anything lol?

I don't understand. People keep saying the CPU will be the big deal, and that the jaguar was trash and all, even by 2013 standards. Here we are, in 2020, and we are getting a 4x CPU improvement??? XSX is getting more than 8x GPU power. How could that CPU be good by any means?

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
You were trying to claim that per TF Nvidia cards get 15% higher performance, you still have not shown the proof, you actually have shown the opposite when we look at all the data and not just cherry picked portion.
I showed plenty of proof actually, you are dancing around the issue with the clocks don't match argument.

Right here the 2070 matches the 5700XT despite TF deficit, the 2060 Super is almost the same too, as for the 2070Super, it outmatches 5700XT by 15% despite almost equal TF. I don't see where you get this imaginary "RDNA1 TF equals Turing TF" thing from?

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
We did have something like that though. The beginning of PS4/XB1 launch had select titles with this offering.
Battlefield 4 being onee of them. If bought PS3/360 digital, pre-order, or the deluxe edition you got a free upgrade for PS4/XB1 version. Otherwise there was a $10 upgrade fee.
Yeah, this was a nice thing at the start of the gen. It didn't last long enough tho.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Also it just feels so confusing for the average consumer. It seems like MS will position the Series S as a 1080p console and push the X as for a full 4K experience. Frankly it could be a good idea but I think everyone and their granny is transitioning over to 4K TVs, you can't really buy 1080 sets anymore unless you go out of your way to track them down, so I don't think it's all that wise and will be well outdated in even just a couple years from now but maybe MS has done plenty of research and believe in their concept.

I agree with you that 4K is becoming the standard. I think they market it as a cheaper alternative to play next gen games. Price is important, look at how the One S digital sold over the holidays. I think a lower resolution box with higher frames and fast loading will be appealing. I also think the Lockhart was born out of the plans for Xcloud. Those will be in the server racks. Who needs 4K on a phone or tablet? Also, think about how much more data consumption or higher speeds the Series X streaming would require.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. People keep saying the CPU will be the big deal, and that the jaguar was trash and all, even by 2013 standards. Here we are, in 2020, and we are getting a 4x CPU improvement??? XSX is getting more than 8x GPU power. How could that CPU be good by any means?
Idk that's why I asked dictator ;)

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yes but a 360 player wouldn't be able to play with a xbone player, same for ps3 and ps4.

It was two separate versions with they offering an upgrade plan. The feature that Ms announced is to let the game be the same across the two consoles, kinda like pc when you upgrade.

Of course the publisher may still have 2 separated versions and offer an upgrade plan.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, and how could a 4x CPU make the games run at 120FPS??? Many Xbox One X games run at just 30 FPS. What about more NPCs? Better AI? Destructive buildings? And many others CPU tasks. It just doesn't makes sense to me.

First of all no demanding game is running on 120 on console. Second, cpu will not push frames, its the gpu job to do that. CPU is only a factor when its a LIMITING factor.

if the cpu is strong enough to not limit the gpu, then its free estate for the gpu to push those frames, but the gpu HAS to push those frames, cpu wont do that.

the big advantage implied for next gen is that the cpu wont be a limiting factor (hopefully) and the powerful 12tf gpu will be utilized fully.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Would honestly bet that we won't get a wide release of either console this year.

Covid-19 isn't going away anytime fast.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The article is about buying an Xbox One game and not having to re-buy it if it gets a next-gen remaster/update.

That's not a differentiator and GI.biz are just assuming it is because of TLOU: Remastered's success in 2014.
The article is about the smart delivery feature Ms announced. The feature is to allow the game to download different code and assets even across generations.

You only buy once yeah, but that's a by product of it being the same game.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
There's that, but there was also Advance Warfare on 360 a year after XB1 and PS4 launch, and then Black Ops III was also on 360 a year after that.
ok, it depands of 3rd party devs, some will do crossgen for next 3 years some will start nextgen exclusives quite fast, Dictator responsed to ZOONAMI "It seems more and more likely all of MS first party stuff is going to run on an X1s for most of if not the entirety of next gen." that it's normal 2 years period crossgen for 1rd party which is not if we look for past consoles

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Yeah, and how could a 4x CPU make the games run at 120FPS??? Many Xbox One X games run at just 30 FPS. What about more NPCs? Better AI? Destructive buildings? And many others CPU tasks. It just doesn't makes sense to me.

Those numbers, like 4x this or that, simplify things quite a bit. The thing you must keep in mind is that the new Zen architecture - well, new for the consoles anyways - is far more efficient: you have IPC gains that are relevant and you also get the SMT: the CPU will behave like it is a 16 core unit under certain circunstancies. 16 threads would be extremely relevant for more complex games.

And other thing that those blunt marketing numbers won't show is that the whole system will work together to achieve better and faster graphics. I really doubt that 120 FPS will be a thing, but the hardware is there for certain to get there, should developers push for this - at least in the first couple of years. As things evolved, games would decay to 60 FPS in order to push for better quality, I assume.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing team loves to rename already available features. Saddly, it works, because everyones is talking about "Smart Delivery" and now wait SONY to responds.

Smart Delivery isn't the same as crossbuy though, because it works for offline titles unlike most other crossbuy options (some promotions aside) -- Certainly Xbox Play Anywhere

That said, I'm lost on how it is any different from Xbox One X Enhanced patches other than maybe the label on the box

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Would honestly bet that we won't get a wide release of either console this year.

Covid-19 isn't going away anytime fast.
There still time for assembly factory to be 100% capacity in may.
For parts, it will take a lot of times. So it will either be full delay or not full release or paying too much so taking a bigger loss on each console or very few units (which is already the case at every launch, at least in Europe).
We will see but I don't think it will be good news in the end (not sure it will impacted USA market).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but a 360 player wouldn't be able to play with a xbone player, same for ps3 and ps4.

It was two separate versions with they offering an upgrade plan. The feature that Ms announced is to let the game be the same across the two consoles, kinda like pc when you upgrade.

Of course the publisher may still have 2 separated versions and offer an upgrade plan.
It has nothing to do with being able to crossplay across generations. Take 360 games on Xbox One for example. You put in the physical disc and it has to download the game from Microsoft to be able to play it. Instead of downloading the 360 emulated version, it would install the remastered version if there is one. This is a licensing problem.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
First of all no demanding game is running on 120 on console. Second, cpu will not push frames, its the gpu job to do that. CPU is only a factor when its a LIMITING factor.

if the cpu is strong enough to not limit the gpu, then its free estate for the gpu to push those frames, but the gpu HAS to push those frames, cpu wont do that.

the big advantage implied for next gen is that the cpu wont be a limiting factor (hopefully) and the powerful 12tf gpu will be utilized fully.

pretty much, the majority of general purpose CPUs are fast enough to the point where they aren't a hugely constraining factor in intelligent game design. I look forward to similar non gpu constrained game design in future generations.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
That's a very realistic possibility, i don't think even MS and Sony know that at this point.
There still time for assembly factory to be 100% capacity in may.
For parts, it will take a lot of times. So it will either be full delay or not full release or paying too much so taking a bigger loss on each console or very few units (which is already the case at every launch, at least in Europe).
We will see but I don't think it will be good news in the end (not sure it will impacted USA market).

Which is why -- I suspect -- Sony are being quiet.

No use hyping something that you're not sure you can manufacture.

This will definitely impact the US Market. Even if the Foxconn Plant can manufacture the console, components may not be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.