• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes?? I'm not sure how this is suppose to be hard to understand. At least if we are talking about games.

Maybe I'm thinking very simplistic but that isn't how it works right?

How I see it, is the approach Microsoft has regarding no next gen exclusives will impact how games play and are being developed.
There are three situations I think will play out:

1. Next gen exlusives games will take full advantage of all the power of the new consoles and create mind blowing games in terms of graphics and features
  2. Cross gen games will be made where previous gen versions will play like dog shit and are creating without core features in order to make them work (basically, why bother imo)
  3. Cross gen games where next gen versions will still look really really good, but won't take advantage of all the power of the console, in order to still make a previous gen version with all the features intact.

For example, it's ALMOST been confirmed next gen machines will take advantage of way faster RAM and storage. We've seen the spiderman demo where you could traverse the map wayyyy faster than last gen machines. Let's say a new game takes advantage of this feature and creates a jet that can fly near realistic speeds without pop ins and stutters. How will a previous gen version implement that? How can you "simply tune that down"?

For me it's obvious next gen games start with next gen exclusive games. Otherwise it's just a slightly above graphically boost mode game. In my opinion.

I want to remember what the OT 1 of this thread was like pertaining to the average estimation of specs.

Aug 26, 2019
In Spider-Man 3, there were certain gameplay features that only the PS3 could handle. For instance, you could play as the Hobgoblin and ride around the city on his hoverboard. You couldn't do that in the PS2 version. I'm not saying that I like this, but specific gameplay features could be tied to a platform. Just throwing ideas out there.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
At this point XSX better have much higher specs than PS5 cause things aren't looking up at launch, at least it would be one thing to get excited about.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Read in between the lines my guy.

What I see there is that they are already making their game right now and don't have SeX dev kits. So they are making a current-gen game. That may or may not get "ported" to next-gen.

And whoever said that, used very very poor wording, cause he is making it sound like NVme SSDs don't or haven't existed on PCs for the last 5+ years.

Firstly, Gollum is a PS5/XSX/PC game only. Secondly, I don't read that at all, I think he's clearly saying the XSX SSD "isn't relevant to this project because we're on PC as well and so we can't guarantee that a PC player will have an SSD the way we can with a PS5 or XSX player."

He did follow it up by talking about the benefits of SSDs in level design, presumably for later projects.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Firstly, Gollum is a PS5/XSX/PC game only. Secondly, I don't read that at all, I think he's clearly saying the XSX SSD "isn't relevant to this project because we're on PC as well and so we can't guarantee that a PC player will have an SSD the way we can with a PS5 or XSX player."

He did follow it up by talking about the benefits of SSDs in level design, presumably for later projects.

You are literally adding that end bit there.

You could just as well say that next-gen getting SSDs doesn't matter to them as they are already aiming at higher platform that is PC. Who needs regular SSD when you can design your game around M.2 drives?

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Another thing is: how many games will actually be affected by this cross gen approach for 2020-2021? Looking at where their studios are, I can't see more than just a handful.

Coalition: Gears 5 just came out.
343: Infinite developed as an XBO game, getting enhancements for XSX.
Turn 10: FM8 will probably fall in this window, so that's one.
The Initiative: Still staffing up, probably no games in this window
Playground: I assume FH5 will be Fall 2021 at the earliest, so it will fall outside this window. Not sure about their other project (Fable?)
Ninja Theory: Hellblade 2 is already stated to be XSX/PC.
Rare: Unclear when Everwild is or what other projects they are working on.
Obsidian: Whatever the Outer Worlds team is working on will probably be outside this window.
Maybe a couple of exclusives from third party studios as well?

Don't know about Compulsion, Double Fine, inXile, Mojang, and Undead Labs, but several of these aren't as technically focused at the ones above so being cross gen probably wouldn't have a huge impact.

I think people are assuming that this is an imposition on MS's part on their first party studios when it might have been them looking at their slate of games and seeing that there aren't many titles coming out prior to the XSX's second holiday that would really suffer from being cross gen games. Am I way off base here?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Things that couldnt be done before are revolutionary no? Else we're just talking about superficial upgrades which even cross-gen games will be enjoying.

Theres a large gulf between wide-linear, open world and a truly seemless open world. The latter taking a tremendous effort and structure to build out to scale and guide the player experience... it's quite lofty to expect many launch games to have a base design that couldn't be scaled to be attainable unattainable without the new cpu SSD and 9-12TF

I also think the fallacy in this threadis that next-gen versions of cross-gen games wont also be doing things that cant be done on weaker hardware.

An open world game, for example, is fundamentally scalable. On weaker hardware, you turn down the draw distance, the NPC count, the traffic density, the resolution, and the effects, Quick Travel takes a while, etc. Now you run the game on next gen hardware, you slide all the sliders in the other direction until the GPU and CPU cant take anymore. There's people and cars everywhere. quick travel is instantaneous. You might throw in a new vehicle or ability that takes advantage of asset streaming from the SSD. You've now maximized the use of the hardware without altering the scope of the game.

But what does a next gen exclusive open world look like? How do we increase the scope of these games? Are we mapping out the interior of every building? Is the map an entire Country? Galaxy? Are the NPCs smarter and more numerous? Do they have actual routines and relationships. Do they all remember you? How are devs going to take open world to the next level, beyond moving sliders? And how long will it take to bring these games to market?

There are a lot of work and a lot of experimentation to be done before we see new hardware change the scope of open world games across the spectrum. Most games at the start will simply be turning up the dials... (which really isn't all that different from what MS will be doing with their cross gen titles). Then there still begs the question of whether or not a particular game benefits from being open world in the first place. The answer isn't going to be yes in all cases, but linear games deserve SSD and CPU love too.

People just want things that can't be done on old hardware in games they like .
If HZD2 has co op , flying mounts , more destructions, more enemies on screen , more NPC , better lighting ,animation , loading, etc etc .
It's next gen for them while using the hardware since it can't be done on PS4 to that level.
There is nothing revolutionary about that but it don't have to be .
You can call it superficial but all of that is what make games fun .

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Read in between the lines my guy.

What I see there is that they are already making their game right now and don't have SeX dev kits. So they are making a current-gen game. That may or may not get "ported" to next-gen.

And whoever said that, used very very poor wording, cause he is making it sound like NVme SSDs don't or haven't existed on PCs for the last 5+ years.

There is no between the lines.
The game is targeting to release in 2021 and the plataforms are already announced: PS5, Series X and PC.
They are not going to make SSD as mandatory because not everyone on PC has it.
With that being said : again we have proof on how having a lower denominator, this time PCs with regular HD, will ALWAYS makes dev not make use of better hardware capabilities as they could.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
With all the spec hype/gloom circling at the minute, I found these 2 DF articles about next gen, from 2017, a helpful and positive perspective:

Even considering a 2019/2020 release, DF was predicting we would get something like this:

4C/8T CPU on (if we were lucky) 12nm process.
DF were very conservative on the CPU side. I was always sure that next-gen consoles would never settle with anything below 8-cores.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen exclusive knack 3 with 9tf > cross gen halo infinite with 13tf. I thought Phil was guy? The usherer of golden age of gaming along with dorito pope and gabe? Fix this shit guerilla

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
There is no between the lines.
The game is targeting to release in 2021 and the plataforms are already announced: PS5, Series X and PC.
They are not going to make SSD as mandatory because not everyone on PC has it.
With that being said : again we have proof on how having a lower denominator, this time PCs with regular HD, will ALWAYS makes dev not make use of better hardware capabilities as they could.

Same time, like Pheonix pointed out developers can just choose to ignore HDD as storage device. That can actually be done in PC space if developer(s) so choose where in console space they have no such option. It will be interesting to see if 3rd party moves to that direction this gen.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
This statement is incredibly wrong, in every way imaginable. They're all x86 machines now, "generations" aren't a thing as much as bumping up your targeted specs. They're all just pc's and you can scale accordingly.

Targets heavily determine what you can scale down to without losing functionality. PC gamers are now acting like there's no effort here and it's amazing.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
You probably won't see many games fully taking advantage of these capabilities until a year or two into the gen anyways.

And additionally, you could still design the game with these advantages in mind, and cut parts of the game for the XBO version of the game. Or add changes to the version where it adds those "crawling sections". It happened last gen. Not the best option, but it is about choice.

And finally, no one will care about that at some point when they are offered to play that unique game experience on Xbox One through xCloud.

Looking forward to connecting my Originsl Xbox up to broadband and connecting to xCloud myself.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Halo infinite didn't look next gen....

Lol
It… didn't though. It packed detail as a cutscene, but there are several current-gen games that I would argue look as good if not better in a number of ways. Until we see up-to-date gameplay, it's hard to know what the rest of their game is bound to look like.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
Every?

Get ready to be very shocked.

Best you get is PS5 titles making their way to PSnow, 6-24 months after their exclusive physical/digital releases.

You are right, "at launch" is probably unrealistic, but less than 24 months surely. It would solve a big problem devs and publishers have when moving console generations and allow first party studios to create "true" next gen titles that can be sold to a huge audience from the get go.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
There are really people who argue that cross-gen games are not going to be hampered by last gen in some capacity? You honestly don't see how decreasing the baseline from Zen2 to a freaking Jaguar and from a fast SSD to a HDD is going to change things for first party games, game design wise?

The conversation about what the leap in CPU/storage solution can bring to the table sure has changed in the last couple of days and it's painfully obvious why. Some of you are way to invested into these brands.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I fully expect to be able to stream every PS5 exclusive through PS Now on PS4 at launch. That way Sony can ensure a much bigger audience for their AAA exclusives from day one, increase interest and customer lock in. I'd be shocked if they didn't do it.

We can go further. Push your imagination. PS3 PS Now again or bust.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Link? I can't even find anything on PS meeting 2019 except for articles about a fake email disclosing a Feb meeting date.

So we're referring to Wedesday Feb. 20th, 2013 for the PS4 Meeting. Beyond got it incorrect if they said Thursday. The only other PS Meeting that was recent was the PS4 Pro - September 7th, 2016 (also on a Wednesday). There was none last year.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You can't just say nope and expect that to hold. RDR2, God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding - they all look as good if not better. Especially concerning character models. What specifically about the game looks next-gen compared to these games?

You could just wait to see actual game and gameplay before going blasting it as current, next or past gen game?

Same goes for those saying it's best shit ever graphically.

We do not know, they have shown nothing.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There are really people who argue that cross-gen games are not going to be hampered by last gen in some capacity? You honestly don't see how decreasing the baseline from Zen2 to a freaking Jaguar and from a fast SSD to a HDD is going to change things for first party games, game design wise?

The conversation about what the leap in CPU/storage solution can bring to the table sure has changed in the last couple of days and it's painfully obvious why. Some of you are way to invested into these brands.
All Xbox first party titles will be coming to PC anyway so the point is moot.

Unless you expect MS to specify an SSD as a minimum requirement for their games on PC, which isn't going to happen.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017

You know those forced walking sections that everyone hates, or when you have to slowly squeeze your character between two rocks to advance in a level. Those exist mostly for loading purposes and we could be done with them next gen.
But not if the game needs to work on current gen aswell.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You could just wait to see actual game and gameplay before going blasting it as current, next or past gen game?

Same goes for those saying it's best shit ever graphically.

We do not know, they have shown nothing.
Which is why I said in my previous post that until we see up-to-date gameplay, it's hard to know what the rest of their game is bound to look like. We can only judge the game based on the footage that they've decided to show and that footage looks markedly current-gen.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Observation:

The industry and what defines success has moved on and developed itself. Mat Priscilla is right the focus shifted from console install base to ecosystems. Cloud will play a major role in increasing your audience and lowers the barrier of entrance. The more people play your game the more money you have to invest in new games. However Consoles will be still the device of choice in your living room when it comes to the big screen.

Actually Sony (PSNow) and Microsoft (Game Pass, xCloud) now have an advantage compared to Steam, Origin, UbiPlay, Epic and so forth.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
We can go further. Push your imagination. PS3 PS Now again or bust.

Why not, It makes sense from a business perspective. Software and subscriptions sales are less capital intensive that hardware sales and thus have way higher margins - which is what the talk of "ecosystem" vs "platform" is alluding to. Sony and MS both see a future where hardware is less important - Sony however seems to be betting more on exclusive content. In the short to mid term it's still essential to have a good hardware platform, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see firsts signs of the decoupling of hardware from software in a "Forwards Compatibility" feature through PS Now for PS5 titles.

Aug 26, 2019
Until we get actual b-roll gameplay it's difficult to say anything. We've been shown so little, both 1st and 3rd parties seem shy to give us anything on what a next-gen game will play like.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Same time, like Pheonix pointed out developers can just choose to ignore HDD as storage device. That can actually be done in PC space if developer(s) so choose where in console space they have no such option. It will be interesting to see if 3rd party moves to that direction this gen.

And what does this change anything that I said?
Yes of course they can.
But they choose not to do it and they are admitting that the decision of using a lower denominator will make them not make good use of a new feature.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Until we get actual b-roll gameplay it's difficult to say anything. We've been shown so little, both 1st and 3rd parties seem shy to give us anything on what a next-gen game will play like.

Next-gen only games most likely still are in pieces all over developer tables and cross-gen games wont be blowing any minds like they never have.

I bet E3 is first time we get actual taste of that line up. Tiny few second teasers before that maybe.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have we heard any rumors on the wireless capabilities of these consoles? CES had a lot of WiFi-6 capable routers and such this year that were finally beginning to be affordable for a general consumer. Do we know if the new consoles will support that yet? Probably too nitty-gritty of a detail to leak, I would imagine, but just curious.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
Observation:

The industry and what defines success has moved on and developed itself. Mat Priscilla is right the focus shifted from console install base to ecosystems. Cloud will play a major role in increasing your audience and lowers the barrier of entrance. The more people play your game the more money you have to invest in new games. However Consoles will be still the device of choice in your living room when it comes to the big screen.

Actually Sony (PSNow) and Microsoft (Game Pass, xCloud) now have an advantage compared to Steam, Origin, UbiPlay, Epic and so forth.

Taking it a step further it's not even going to be the consoles that give the competitive advantage, it's going to be exclusives. When PS Now and xCloud are available on every Smart TV, the only way to differentiate is going to be through the portfolio - just like with any other streaming service.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
My wife agreed to let me buy both consoles this year. I don't have to be biased anymore! I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in the past.

Aug 26, 2019
Next-gen only games most likely still are in pieces all over developer tables and cross-gen games wont be blowing any minds like they never have.

I bet E3 is first time we get actual taste of that line up. Tiny few second teasers before that maybe.
Yeah, E3 is probably where we start to see some of that. But I really think that right now, in the quietness before the console reveals, before Cyberpunk and TLOU: Part II etc. it's a great time to set the bar for what next-gen gameplay looks like and have the entire spotlight on your game. I hope that some developer takes the initiative and just does that.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
So we're referring to Wedesday Feb. 20th, 2013 for the PS4 Meeting. Beyond got it incorrect if they said Thursday. The only other PS Meeting that was recent was the PS4 Pro - September 7th, 2016 (also on a Wednesday). There was none last year.

Thanks..I was thinking PS Meeting was an annual event. And yes, I edited my previous post.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
It's a bit weird judging Halo from a scene taking place in a 10x10 room. Halo is about scale and Infinite seems to take it to a new level, maybe even Crysis like open levels. If in a small room Halo Infinite looks better than most current-gen games, I'm sure it will be impressive when we see the open worlds.
"I've only heard rumours about the [Xbox Series X] specs, and it's huge – very fast Flash memory. Which excites me, of course, but I don't think that's relevant to this project, because we're aiming for PC as well."

- Martin Wilkes on the Gollum game Daedelic is making.

So it does sound like PC will in fact be holding the game back.
PC is many things, in theory a developer can aim for a min spec that the PS4 would destroy, so it means PC is holding the PS4 back? Every gamer with a gaming PC from the past few years has an SSD. If they don't and they really don't want to spend much (even though it's a PC gamer, the definition of a high spender), they can buy a very high-quality tiny 256GB SSD with 3.5GB/s read speed for 70$.

Not everyone has a 3.5GB/s SSD in their computer, but in 2013 not everybody had a more powerful GPU than the 750 ti. That's PC gaming, if you have to upgrade, you have to upgrade. We almost forgot that because this past generation was so low-end, but we are finally getting a big generational leap and PC gamers will have to remind themselves that that's how it's always been, consoles push the bar and PC leaps over it if you are willing to shell out the money.

This time the upgrade is really cheap, starts around 50$, so I doubt there is a self-respecting gamer with a PC that won't spend a few bucks for a fast SSD. For the past 40 years PC gaming hasn't held back gaming, I doubt these new consoles will be the first in history to challenge it just because they have a 50$ SSD inside of them.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo Infinite looks very cross gen to me...I mean the difference in terms of visual fidelity between the in engine Hellblade 2 trailer and what was shown in the Halo Infinite trailer was pretty huge. On the other hand, Halo Infinite trailer still looked very nice, and I am sure will still be top tier visually. Just clearly not primarily targeting next gen.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Observation:

Mat Piscatella :)

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Same with PS Now, when Sony starts pushing PS5 games there and remove the requirement to have dedicated home console just for their exclusives.
Sure, works both ways. But some people on this forum seem to have a hard time accepting it. Once these services are in place, these "being held back" discussions won't make sense anymore. The line between generations is getting blurry, and what both companies will be offering are several entry points to an entire ecosystem of games and services.

Like now I'm talking about xCloud because this gen I could only afford Game Pass and few exclusives on both platforms, but I'm definitely getting PSNow once I think the service is worth it (next-gen exclusives, etc), offers great value and it becomes an almost seamless experience across several devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.