• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I remember sitting at the PC listening to Roses by OutKast on repeat while waiting for it to be delivered.

Once the delivery guy arrived, he asked me if anything big had been released that day as a lot of his colleagues were off and that he has delivered a lot of these packages today. I explained that it was the launch of the PS4 and we had a laugh about it.

I think ACIV: Black Flag was the first game I played on it, I really enjoyed it. Bought Killzone Shadow Fall soon after, which was alright.

Jan 29, 2018
I had my console pre-order delivered at work and I remember getting the email that I had package at the front desk, and when I went down there clearly a bunch of coworkers had the same idea because there was a stack of at least two dozen PS4s outside the mailroom.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag was the standout launch title. That forest level in Killzone was pretty though.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered a Watch Dogs bundle through Amazon, but once that game was delayed, they merely dropped the bundle and just sent me a PS4 on launch day. It was super easy. My best friend and I called each other while we waited outside all morning. Mine arrived first. I took it in and fired up AC4 first, then Resogun and Contrast.

It was a lacking launch, but a fun day, nonetheless. Man....I was in the middle of my third year at Rice. Feels like a lifetime ago.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, I'm sorryyy!!! You can have Returnal if they have a high score mode :p

Resogun is a great launch story. It's what made me want the PS4 day 1.

Another story I have...

There was a day, maybe during the same launch month, where there was a water leak coming from the apartment above. Water was dripping on the PS4. You could imagine how pissed I was, lol.

So I decided to go to the Sony store here in NYC. Man, what a long ass line. While standing in line, I called the store up and told them if I could speak to someone. I was able to leave the line and head inside.

Spoke to a worker and told him straight up there was water damage. He was kind of hesitant at first but because I told him the truth, he gave me a new system right there.

I left that store so quick after that, lmao. Long ass line and I doubt they had enough for everyone, but my lucky ass was able to exchange mine.

Going back to Resogun, it's definitely the best launch title I've played. Gives you that "one more try" addiction. I've played nothing but Commando Mode (DLC) but the main game gave you alot of replay when you start to learn the scoring system, trying to climb the leaderboards.

Can't wait for Returnal, too bad it won't be a PS5 launch memory.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Preordered the day it was available. Went to the midnight release with one of my best friends. It was really fun and I'll never forget it. We even got the line to sing the it's a perfect day song from the PS4 commercial.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered the day it was available. Went to the midnight release with one of my best friends. It was really fun and I'll never forget it. We even got the line to sing the it's a perfect day song from the PS4 commercial.

oh man, I hadn't seen this since seven years ago. Man. It's so good lol. I just wish it was longer. It feels like the song is cut short.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So, as someone who wasn't really paying attention in 2013 (because I sure as hell couldn't have afforded a console back then) and who was pretty disinterested due to the perceived weakness of the launch line-up (I didn't get a PS4 until 2017), where did the Banderas meme come from? When I think of PS4 in 2013, I think of that meme.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember casually pre-ordering one on Amazon after E3 with no trouble whatsoever.
A far cry from this PS5 launch.
It was delivered Day 1, and my first game was Killzone: Shadowfall.
The game starts in a flashback where you're a kid in his room, and that's where I was first wowed by the next gen graphics.
Little knickknacks were all over his desk and that level of detail just wasn't in PS3 games.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I was so excited for the PS4, my boyfriend (now husband) at the time decorated our apartment door so when I arrived home from work to setup my PS4 the mood was set! Seriously one of the best moments of my life. I don't think PS5 is going to be as epic, but I'm still very excited. :)

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I got a preorder in early and went with my then future wife to a Best Buy midnight launch to pick it up. We waited for about an hour inside the store to pick it up. I had Black Flag, NBA 2K, Killzone and Resogun for the launch, and fired up 2K before anything. I might do that again.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I was so excited for the PS4, my boyfriend (now husband) at the time decorated our apartment door so when I arrived home from work to setup my PS4 the mood was set! Seriously one of the best moments of my life. I don't think PS5 is going to be as epic, but I'm still very excited. :)

Ha ha. Amazing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I got my PS4 a day early for free since I was an indie partner making a PS4 game. Didn't actually have any money to buy games though so I was stuck with Resogun (great), Contrast (disappointing) from PS+ and a Need for Speed game (decent) because EA was giving out free codes to devs. It was fun to have the system a little early.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
I had a heart attack a week before. My wife picked up my pre-order but due to the meds I was on I didn't play the system much because I couldn't be excited much. Was a fluke attack in my 30s with no visible damage to the heart, but still something to screw me up.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I walked into an empty gamestop by me on a random tuesday in september and got a ps4 pre order. I also ordered knack, killzone, a charging dock, and extra ds4. I picked up my controller and games the week before, i got my console at the midnight launch. I was first in line. I got home and set everything up. I was blown away by killzone shadowfall. Even on my crappy 1080i tv. Though that holiday, my parents got me a 1080p tv for christmas. It blew my pants off, especially assassins creed 4, it just looked so crisp in 1080p. Its funny saying that now as im on an oled, and its my second 4k tv. But man, seeing real 1080p games for the first time blew my mind

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
I remember both mine, and my friend's, PS4s were DOA...just wouldn't turn on. Luckily another friend of mine had an extra.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Flag was my first game for it, I skipped Killzone and I don't think I bought a first-party game for it until inFamous: Second Son.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I didn't manage to get a preorder and remember calling store to store to see if there was a way to reserve one the week before launch, ended up calling a local pharmacy that said they had 2 and would put one to the side for me. Thing is the pharmacy was in the sketchy side of town and I had to bus there and back. To my surprise I got there day of right before opening time and there was a line up of at least 20 or more. A lady popped out saying they only had 2 and both were being held, one for me and one for some other guy. The amount of angry faces I got walking past everyone is something I wont forget. I even bought a bigger non see through bag to put the ps4 inside so people couldn't see what I was carrying on the way back home.

This time I preordered my ps5 at the same pharmacy but a different location and luckily will be going by car now but man ill never forget the stares I got haha

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get one till FF Type-0 HD, might get a PS5 earlier.

Thought it was funny playing FFXV Demo with it's awesome graphics to playing Type-0 HD with it's incredibly dated graphics.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I remember I was in college and a buddy of mine called while he was skipping class and just yelled 'dude they just got a shipment of PS4 in the store I'm in, you want one!?' Obviously I told him yes and he just strolled on campus carrying two PS4's. Ah good times.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I cancelled my launch preorder when I found out my wife was pregnant and our daughter was due the same week as release. Bought the white destiny one a little less than a year later. My daughter with be 7 on launch day this year. And she's excited to see it. Good times.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Had one preordered from BestBuy and took the day off to receive it. The delivery was delayed to the next day so I wasn't very happy.

Decided to walk in the Walmart close to home to find out they had lots of them.

I've been buying consoles Day One since the Dreamcast yet it's the first time that there was enough quantities at launch for a new console.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I remember being able to get a preorder in earlier in the Summer and then did midnight pick up at Best Buy. I had Killzone Shadowfall which I liked well enough but it was a huge disappointment coming from KZ2 (I skipped 3). I also picked up Injustice a few days later and did really enjoyed that but only really did the story mode which isn't super long.

Resogun was nice too but I ended up needing to sell the console for financial reasons a few months later and then bought a white PS4 in December 2014 with Destiny/GTA5/Alien Isolation which felt like a much more proper next gen experience lol

Oct 25, 2017
I remember my brother bought it without asking me out of a blue and I genuinely applauded him for it but I told him it was unnecessary because:

1. That thing was expensive, but he just paid it anyway.
2. He knows I was always biggest fan of a PlayStation brand, so he gets the gist.