• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm completely lost for words, does that mean no Bloodborne 2 ?
It can still happen without Japan Studio but the problem is that FromSoft is bigger beast then what they were when they made BB. So it's up to Sony to show interest in the project and bring them a truck load of money because From seems to be doing just fine on their own while making multiplat games. I'm thinking that theyll make another New IP together but they are probably going to ask for a similar deal like Kojima in order to be allowed to put the game on PC.

There's also the possibility that From just have too many projects on the pipeline so even if they want to make a sequel they are just too busy on their own projects.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
A while back, before this was even announced, none of my payment methods worked, almost everything on the Vita store was a broken image, and when I tried to download a game it was missing the cover art ... I cancelled it.
That cover art missing in the store issue doesn't have any effect on the game you download. Bizzare reason not to buy something you want to get before the store shutdown.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I no longer recognize PlayStation now that it is under Jim Ryan. As a huge PlayStation fan, it's sad to watch Jim make these shitty decisions.
Same, I bought my first Ps3 in 2010 and all the little things that amazed me about ps3 are gone. PS Home, Japan Studio, free online, amazing PS+ games, being able to play ps1 games, japanese exclusives that you can't find elsewhere (not saying that being available on more consoles is bad, no, it's great, it just felt that sony invested in some games that would not exist otherwise), crazy experimental exclusives like MAG or Folklore. The exclusives are great but everything else feels worse than the competition. The team behind the turnaround that made PS3's final years and ps4's first years, a huge success, are gone now.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I would have no problem with Sony shutting down the PS3/PSP/Vita stores if they just let you play these purchased games on new hardware and let you buy these older titles on the new store. Sony already had a PSP emulator going with the Minis titles you could play om the PS3. PS3 itself shouldn't be difficult to emulate on PS5 hardware either when groups have been making PS3 emulators on lesser PC hardware years before.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand why they can't keep ps1 and psp up in store by investing a little on emulator that works for ps4 and ps5 and any system going forward. Those games should work perfectly without any issue since most of them functions on standard controller. I know vita some vita games will be difficult with the camera and touch screen, Ps2 probably require a lot more testing and never had a eShop. The current ps1 and psp line up on psn can be kept if they are shutting down because of financial decision.

Oct 28, 2017
I would have no problem with Sony shutting down the PS3/PSP/Vita stores if they just let you play these purchased games on new hardware and let you buy these older titles on the new store. Sony already had a PSP emulator going with the Minis titles you could play om the PS3. PS3 itself shouldn't be difficult to emulate on PS5 hardware either when groups have been making PS3 emulators on lesser PC hardware years before.
Yeah. We'd be fine abandoning old hardware if the library would carry over to new hardware. The legacy is just going to be gone. No way to get these games on old or new hardware. It just sucks.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
That cover art missing in the store issue doesn't have any effect on the game you download. Bizzare reason not to buy something you want to get before the store shutdown.
I was able to find a way to buy it and began my download, but to my surprise the download began as a game without any cover art.

Y5mR4Ma.jpg

Last edited:

Kindofblue

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Same, I bought my first Ps3 in 2010 and all the little things that amazed me about ps3 are gone. PS Home, Japan Studio, free online, amazing PS+ games, being able to play ps1 games, japanese exclusives that you can't find elsewhere (not saying that being available on more consoles is bad, no, it's great, it just felt that sony invested in some games that would not exist otherwise), crazy experimental exclusives like MAG or Folklore. The exclusives are great but everything else feels worse than the competition. The team behind the turnaround that made PS3's final years and ps4's first years, a huge success, are gone now.

Agreed, perhaps I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but the PS3 in spite of It's numerous flaws, really was the last truly PlayStation console. Say what you want about Krazy Ken Kutaragi but he gave that brand an identity.

It's gotten to a point where I'm strongly considering PC gaming, outside of Bloodborne(which is possibly the best PlayStation game ever in all honesty) TLG and SOTC remake. None of the Ps4 exclusives really grabbed me unlike their PS3 predecessor's.

So Im left with a new PlayStation console with an increasingly anti consumer culture, a conservative game library, a barebones infrastructure/services compared to it's competitor's , and a complete disregard to it's legacy and any of It's long time consumers from before 2013.

To add insult to injury, I can't even buy the fucking console because it's still badly stocked so why should I fucking bother at this point? At least on the PC the legacy of the PS1,2,3 will thrive thanks to emulation.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PS3 store is already held together with popsicle sticks and chewing gum, of course it would buckle under load too.

Fun fact: If you want to reliably crash the store on your PS3 (well, aside from just using it normally), try searching "Bin" in the search function. Immediately crashes. Spectacular stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, perhaps I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but the PS3 in spite of It's numerous flaws, really was the last truly PlayStation console. Say what you want about Krazy Ken Kutaragi but he gave that brand an identity.

It's gotten to a point where I'm strongly considering PC gaming, outside of Bloodborne(which is possibly the best PlayStation game ever in all honesty) TLG and SOTC remake. None of the Ps4 exclusives really grabbed me unlike their PS3 predecessor's.

So Im left with a new PlayStation console with an increasingly anti consumer culture, a conservative game library, a barebones infrastructure/services compared to it's competitor's , and a complete disregard to it's legacy and any of It's long time consumers from before 2013.

To add insult to injury, I can't even buy the fucking console because it's still badly stocked so why should I fucking bother at this point? At least on the PC the legacy of the PS1,2,3 will thrive thanks to emulation.
The PlayStation I knew and loved is long gone. The success of PS4 is the worst thing to ever happen to PlayStation. I really am done with it. I'll get a PSVR2 because it's literally the only VR option on consoles but as soon as I've got any other option on that front I'll jump ship on that too.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
Again this sounds like you want Sony to be better at all times than everyone else. It's almost as if some can't deal with Microsoft getting the better of Sony is some situations.

Why can't Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have their own strenghts? Obviously the Xbox Series Xbox is going to differ by design to the PS5, same with Switch. Some think Series S was a mistake, we can poke holes in every one, which as you can see on the forums many do.
He's just saying that Jim Ryan has had a shitty start with Sony after they had some strong leadership in the past.

There's just disappointment at PS5 current state right now from many owners, and relying on Jim Ryan to right the ship isn't a great answer.

Not counting PC Gamepass, I haven't had an Xbox since the 360. I've had every Sony console basically including a PS5. I think Microsoft is on fire right now, which is good for the industry and consumers even though I don't have an Xbox. People can both appreciate that MS is on a roll and also be disappointed that Sony isn't rising to the occasion.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have 2FA and haven't had these issues.
But the store crashes like Launchpad from Ducktales. And the downloads frequently time out so hard that it signs me out of the PSN.
The PlayStation I knew and loved is long gone. The success of PS4 is the worst thing to ever happen to PlayStation. I really am done with it. I'll get a PSVR2 because it's literally the only VR option on consoles but as soon as I've got any other option on that front I'll jump ship on that too.

Yeah. I know it's trendy to dump on Sony because of their success, but they went from the PS3 being a shining standard of so much.

Let's take the OS as 1 example. The XMB really was the star of browsing media. Now Xbox has trounced them. Browsing installed games on the Xbox is wayyyyyyy easier than the mess on PS5.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten to a point where I'm strongly considering PC gaming, outside of Bloodborne(which is possibly the best PlayStation game ever in all honesty) TLG and SOTC remake.

You make PC gaming sound like a last resort lol. It's great, especially since Sony started releasing their exclusives on PC. I used to just use PlayStation hardware but switched to PC as my main a few years ago. Best of all worlds with PC Gamepass and Sony exclusives.

Only problem at the moment is that GPUs are as tough to get as PS5s.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
As a lifelong fan of Playstation's systems, I am scared for the future under Jim Ryan. Scared.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess going physical and making minimal digital purchases actually worked out in my favor. Sucks to see Sony fuck up like this.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Welp, I guess going physical and making minimal digital purchases actually worked out in my favor. Sucks to see Sony fuck up like this.
The problem is outside of the actual storefront and connection issues people are experiencing. The shut down is in line with the terms of service we agreed to

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
It's been two days and I still can't download anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't actually get fixed.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I have 2FA and haven't had these issues.
But the store crashes like Launchpad from Ducktales. And the downloads frequently time out so hard that it signs me out of the PSN.

Yeah. I know it's trendy to dump on Sony because of their success, but they went from the PS3 being a shining standard of so much.

Let's take the OS as 1 example. The XMB really was the star of browsing media. Now Xbox has trounced them. Browsing installed games on the Xbox is wayyyyyyy easier than the mess on PS5.
I absolutely loathe how it isn't ordered alphabetically by default, and it doesn't save your sorting choice whenever you turn off the console. Sony has so many minor nuisances that they never seem to address over the past two generations that seem easily fixable, but never seem to get around to.

Kindofblue

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
You make PC gaming sound like a last resort lol. It's great, especially since Sony started releasing their exclusives on PC. I used to just use PlayStation hardware but switched to PC as my main a few years ago. Best of all worlds with PC Gamepass and Sony exclusives.

Only problem at the moment is that GPUs are as tough to get as PS5s.

I don't consider PC gaming as a last resort, I just recognise that the PC is far better suited for my gaming needs now than PlayStation, I say this as a long time supporter of the brand. What am I possibly gaining from investing in the PS ecosystem when they're willing to disregard anything from a decade ago.

Right now the PS5 is the first system of that brand where I have zero interests in it's offerings outside of Demon Souls.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The problem is outside of the actual storefront and connection issues people are experiencing. The shut down is in line with the terms of service we agreed to
Yes, fellow corporate citizen. Our lovable corporate overlord is fully within their rights to shut down and remove citizens' previous purchases.

Citizens shouldn't be playing old and crusty games, as they might get strange ideas of media ownership! Let's celebrate with rousing round of Knack 2.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
FINALLY fixed the issue I was having.

So the error I was getting at first (and for most of the time) was error 80029509, which, according to this site, is SCE_NP_DRM_ERROR_SERVER_RESPONSE. I tried the following to fix this:
  • Delete the PS store and try again
  • Restart the network
  • Restart the PS3
  • Enable 2FA (and signing in using the generated system password)
  • Disable 2FA
None of those worked. I tried enabling 2FA once more today and noticed no change, so I disabled it and logged in. I then got a different error, 80029721, which is SCE_NP_DRM_SERVER_ERROR_INVALID_USER_CREDENTIAL, which made me try both turning on 2FA and restarting the PS3. This finally worked and I was able to download things again. I think the PS3 has a cache of whether or not your credentials are "invalid" and that doesn't toggle off until you restart the system. Hope this works for others, though this might very well be just a me fix.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
FINALLY fixed the issue I was having.

So the error I was getting at first (and for most of the time) was error 80029509, which, according to this site, is SCE_NP_DRM_ERROR_SERVER_RESPONSE. I tried the following to fix this:
  • Delete the PS store and try again
  • Restart the network
  • Restart the PS3
  • Enable 2FA (and signing in using the generated system password)
  • Disable 2FA
None of those worked. I tried enabling 2FA once more today and noticed no change, so I disabled it and logged in. I then got a different error, 80029721, which is SCE_NP_DRM_SERVER_ERROR_INVALID_USER_CREDENTIAL, which made me try both turning on 2FA and restarting the PS3. This finally worked and I was able to download things again. I think the PS3 has a cache of whether or not your credentials are "invalid" and that doesn't toggle off until you restart the system. Hope this works for others, though this might very well be just a me fix.
Congrats!

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Yes, fellow corporate citizen. Our lovable corporate overlord is fully within their rights to shut down and remove citizens' previous purchases.

Citizens shouldn't be playing old and crusty games, as they might get strange ideas of media ownership! Let's celebrate with rousing round of Knack 2.
You really think I don't know it is wrong but that is exactly what the ToS allows. It states that at any point they can shut down or restrict access to their service for what ever reason. That is the truth we agreed to it when we signed up. It is stated in the ToS for everyone to see

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You really think I don't know it is wrong but that is exactly what the ToS allows. It states that at any point they can shut down or restrict access to their service for what ever reason. That is the truth we agreed to it when we signed up. It is stated in the ToS for everyone to see
You are being pedantic for no good reason. People realize Sony can legally shut shit down. What does that have to do with being unhappy and disappointed by this move?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Indeed. If they handled this better I would be less sour about it all. At minimum it should of been a years notice + access to the web store to make getting our stuff easier.

In a better timeline, they should of released emulators on PS5. They seem to have one working for PS1, PS2, and PSP. It shouldn't be THAT hard for PS3 if, like you said, groups have one working for the most part. Sony money and expertise should make it better.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
You are being pedantic for no good reason. People realize Sony can legally shut shit down. What does that have to do with being unhappy and disappointed by this move?
I know people are upset, but I also know that this was created by us thinking we would always have are purchases. That we traded owning for essentially glorified renting for convenience. Something we knew upfront with the ToS something no one really thought about until the end of the service came knocking. Yes it's upsetting, but we were warned when it happened to the Wii shop closed. But again we went it won't happen again companies would be stupid to do so ruin all that good will. When they flat out told us when we signed up. That they weren't the first to do it and definitely won't be the last.

Oct 27, 2017
Man just imagine official support for PS1, PS2 and PSP on PS5.

For shame man. Emulation is totally possible on these next gen consoles and Sony has all the documentation to make it happen on their hardware. Damn shame.

Sony has all the HW documentation, so emulating PS1, PS2 and PSP should be trivial. But as they probably don't see it as being something that would provide much ROI they won't bother. It sucks, but it is what it is.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I mean they announced the shutdown of a legacy system probably hoping and preemptively moving people to new systems, and are probably lacking in people who can actually figure out what's wrong with the old stuff. Bad place to be for everyone.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anytime these ridiculous ToS contracts are brought before a court, they really stand the legal scrutiny and are generally disregarded. ToS does not provide a blanket legal binding, to my knowledge.

This whole thing is a fucking disaster. I know we don't condone talk of privacy but someone please tell me there are at least digital copies of all these PSN only games available somewhere out there that can be played on jailbroken consoles so at least the games can be preserved for historical purposes.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Anytime these ridiculous ToS contracts are brought before a court, they really stand the legal scrutiny and are generally disregarded. ToS does not provide a blanket legal binding, to my knowledge.
Then someone should make a Class Action Lawsuit. This more than qualifies for one. These were purchases to own forever. No one I guess truly believe these were renting or leasing these games.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how many games they sold and how much they made on that store over the last 2 years.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I absolutely loathe how it isn't ordered alphabetically by default, and it doesn't save your sorting choice whenever you turn off the console. Sony has so many minor nuisances that they never seem to address over the past two generations that seem easily fixable, but never seem to get around to.
My favorite part is I can't manually check for updates on the PS5 for games unless it's a recent title that's on the main bar.

ANYTHING installed the library has no way to check for updates.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be better to just make a new store with all the same products that is more in line with current store or just put all those games on the current store. However you would probably have to update the firmware of the ps3, psp, & vita, products they don't make or support anymore.

A real discussion needs to be had about access to old games. Publishers need to invest more in ports I think. For example, Viewtiful Joe shouldn't be stranded on the PS2 and Gamecube & Metal Gear Rising shouldn't be stranded on the PS3 & 360.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Wouldn't it be better to just make a new store with all the same products that is more in line with current store or just put all those games on the current store. However you would probably have to update the firmware of the ps3, psp, & vita, products they don't make or support anymore.

A real discussion needs to be had about access to old games. Publishers need to invest more in ports I think. For example, Viewtiful Joe shouldn't be stranded on the PS2 and Gamecube & Metal Gear Rising shouldn't be stranded on the PS3 & 360.
I don't think they'd necessarily need to update the store or firmware on old hardware. Why not make purchasing legacy games webstore only from now on? You would use the current store on PC to either buy old games outright or to buy a code that you could then redeem on PS3/PSP/Vita. They've already confirmed that redeeming codes will continue to work after the store closes, anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
It's been two days and I still can't download anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't actually get fixed.

No problem at all on my end.

I was able to download Siren Blood Curse and a few PSX games flawlessly using both the US store and the FR one.

I can confirm you can see prices and put games in your cart (no invisible shit) on the FR store as well! :D

Metal Gear Rising shouldn't be stranded on the PS3 & 360.

It's BC on XS and it's also available on PC.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017

PS3/PSP were both greaters than the PS4. XMB did rule, an did loading images, music, an videos onto the hdd/memstick. On the PS3 at least ya could download that kinda stuff straight from the web browser! PS4 uh... plays games and has a web browser with confusing controls. How the heck did they mess up PS5's ui?