• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
We should consider erecting guillotines in front of the houses of more billionaires, jussayin.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Same reason I don't believe in either vigilante violence or in capital punishment--even against *really* distasteful people.
Ah, so you too believe there shouldn't be a state? Well guess what class of people advocate and necessitate a state which allows things like police brutality, poverty, and starvation to exist? Or do you mean you don't believe in violence in self-defense? So people do not have the right to defend themselves?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm anti-billionaire, but this is straight stupid.

A community like Era can't staunchly renounce the death penalty, and then turn around and cheer for capital punishment.

Erect a burning effigy of his wealth, break windows, abolish shit. But this is wack.

Edit: And no, being ok with someone dying/disappearing is completely different than directly advocating to kill them.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A community like Era can't staunchly renounce the death penalty, and then turn around and cheer for capital punishment.

Erect a burning effigy of his wealth, break windows, abolish shit. But this is wack.

Uh

We don't actually want him dead.

This is just a symbol, just like an effigy. An "eat the rich"-like metaphor.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Besoz is one of those wealthy individuals without the veneer of being even nominally interested in the public good. His existence and his ilk is also responsible for keeping resources from circulating in the public realm and lobbying to block improvements to labour standards, etc. He needs to feel it.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dearie me a symbolic gesture against the evils of hoarding obscene amount of wealth I'm getting the vapors so much for the tolerant left etc. etc.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Edit: And no, being ok with someone dying/disappearing is completely different than directly advocating to kill them.
Hmmm, I think this is just a bunch of hypocritical beliefs held by Neoliberalism. You can be against state violence but for self defense (of which, this is). Also, like others have side, this is merely a threat of violence.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are so giddy about their revenge fantasies. It's pretty fucking deranged.

"I don't think we should cut his head off" is caping for someone now?

People are not "giddy about their revenge fantasies", they're sick of assholes who exploit people under disgustingly cruel conditions all in the name of the almighty Dollar. We're here at this point because nothing meaningful has been done.

One can be against the death penalty and realize we are reaching a tipping point where the continued ignoring of peaceful methods will cause for more escalation.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh

We don't actually want him dead.

This is just a symbol, just like an effigy. An "eat the rich"-like metaphor.

You don't get to make death threat or rape threat and then say

Uhm i don't really mean it.

There is a set of actions where stuff have to be taken on face value.

Oct 27, 2017
One can be against the death penalty and realize we are reaching a tipping point where the continued ignoring of peaceful methods will cause for more escalation.
I literally said I'm cool with breaking and burning shit. I'm not a "you have to protest peacefully" type. I just draw a hard line at alluding to wanting to kill someone. Shit just isn't good.
Hmmm, I think this is just a bunch of hypocritical beliefs held by Neoliberalism.
Miss me with this trash.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

are you sure that you want to compare leaving a guillotine outside of a very specific persons house to rape threats?

The intention here is clear. Its to show a billonaire (and the people that find out about it) that working class people are exhausted and angry with the way that they are being treated all over the US. Can you explain to me how that compares in any way to someone getting threatened of sexual assault?

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Again, you really have to define if you think self-defense is okay. If it's not then we should just abide by the state at all times? What if the state dictates that your race is now illegal?

Miss me with this trash.

Not sure, what you mean by this. Okay though.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dude what? Even the article says the guillotine, unlike say rape threats, is "a frequently-used symbol by protesters criticising the mega-wealthy and politically powerful." The fact that metro police have sanctioned the zone to allow the protest means this is probably not to be taken at the same face value as making death or rape threats.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
you joke but think about if they leave it out there and jeff bezos takes his miniature dachsund out for a walk in the morning, then trips and falls into the guillotine and now you just made him lose his entire head

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are you sure that you want to compare leaving a guillotine outside of a very specific persons house to rape threats?

No i say that is a death threat.

The rape part is another category of threat where I think should be taken at face value. With no wiggle room for. "I did not really mean it"

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so you too believe there shouldn't be a state? Well guess what class of people advocate and necessitate a state which allows things like police brutality, poverty, and starvation to exist? Or do you mean you don't believe in violence in self-defense? So people do not have the right to defend themselves?
The guillotine references the reign of terror, where thousands of people--some of whom *really* deserved it, and others who probably didn't--were publicly slaughtered without trial.

Do I think Jeff Bezos should be made to answer for the violence he's perpetrated? Yes. Do I want that to take the form of mob justice and a bloody, public spectacle? No.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No i say that is a death threat.

The rape part is another category of threat where I think should be taken at face value. With no wiggle room for. "I did not really mean it"
So you think protesters should be arrested on the grounds of threats? At that point you've made all protests illegal, since they are all threats.

The guillotine references the reign of terror, where thousands of people--some of whom *really* deserved it, and others who probably didn't--were publicly slaughtered without trial.

Do I think Jeff Bezos should be made to answer for the violence he's perpetrated? Yes. Do I want that to take the form of mob justice and a bloody, public spectacle? No.
Please tell me where that's happened at a protest in US in the last 4 months. How you don't understand this is a threat is the problem.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't even take one page for his defenders to come out from the woods lmao.

It's a symbol, this isn't death penalty/threat or whatever stretch you want to give this to make it sound more outrageous and shocking than it is.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dude what? Even the article says the guillotine, unlike say rape threats, is "a frequently-used symbol by protesters criticising the mega-wealthy and politically powerful." The fact that metro police have sanctioned the zone to allow the protest means this is probably not to be taken at the same face value as making death or rape threats.
If you're Jeff Bezos I don't think you see a guillotine and say "what a striking criticism of my wealth and power."

You think, someone is making a statement and wants to take my life.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my first reaction to symbolic protests against late-stage capitalism would be, "...but did they do it tastefully enough?"

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Advocating violence, account in junior phase
I'm not saying they should find him and kill him but it is an interesting thought experiment...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally said I'm cool with breaking and burning shit. I'm not a "you have to protest peacefully" type. I just draw a hard line at alluding to wanting to kill someone. Shit just isn't good.

I mean, if they went and broke his windows they'd give the police a reason to start arresting them. Ironically, the implicit threat of violence from the guillotine being there is easier to defend when compared to breaking windows.

That being said I'm also all for them breaking his windows if we could get away with it.

If you're Jeff Bezos I don't think you see a guillotine and say "what a striking criticism of my wealth and power."

...I'm sorry if I'm not as forgiving to the man exploiting his workers just so his numbers go up another digit.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I knew the Ren Fair kids were heated cause their event got cancelled but I didn't think they'd get into their guillotine bag lmao

"Energy is not destroyed, just moved from one place to the next"
-Albert Einstein, probably

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If that would be his take then I'd argue that the man simply is disconnected from reality or purposefully obtuse .

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point of the guillotine is not to threaten him with it, but to make a striking symbol that will call attention to his incalculable wealth in the face of disrespected and maltreated workers. The fact we're talking about this protest at all showed the symbol worked.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same reason I don't believe in either vigilante violence or in capital punishment--even against *really* distasteful people.
You don't get to hit back when people enact violence on you? "Vigilante violence" is an arbitrary classification when "legitimate" avenues are corrupt and inherently unjust.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The upper class is literally putting those of us that have to work with a public on a guillotine by keeping or reopening businesses right now.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many people you know be dying from a
guillotine

I mean obviously the warnings of Chris Matthews were prophetic! Central Park shall be named Guillotine Park by the end!

/s

(I actually was curious about this and apparently the last Guillotine related death was in 2010 but was a suicide)

Russian engineer commits suicide with homemade guillotine

A 47-year-old Russian engineer has committed suicide with a homemade guillotine that he built secretly in his room in his parents' house, Pravda reports.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair trade off: take down the guillotine and erect a massive hammer and sickle instead.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And again you put word in my quote i never pronounced. But ok.
Listen, the point of the threat of violence here is to make billionaires question their actions and ask themselves "why would people threaten to hurt me". This is really the only way these people can express discontent towards a system that is fucking them because clearly nothing is happening at the legislative level that will address their issues in a timely manner.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, the point of the threat of violence here is to make billionaires question their actions and ask themselves "why would people threaten to hurt me". This is really the only way these people can express discontent towards a system that is fucking them because clearly nothing is happening at the legislative level that will address their issues in a timely manner.
Sometimes, you've got to put it in the only language they'll understand.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

...I'm sorry if I'm not as forgiving to the man exploiting his workers just so his numbers go up another digit.

I'm not here to defend Jeff Bezos of all people, but surely you have to understand that just because some people see intent one way, that doesn't mean other people will accept that or see it the same way. Just like you think my post is some how in defense of Jeff Bezos. Images, words, actions are not universal.

Bezos should be stripped of everything he has, sure. He doesn't deserve the wealth that was built on the backs of people who did nothing but suffer under him. He may even deserve prison, I dunno. Death? Not my place to say.

But don't pretend like parading around a guillotine is just an abstract image. If it is what it is, own up to it.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
not sure I really get people invoking the death penalty here

one of the most commonly cited arguments against the death penalty is that we might execute an innocent, but we 100% know what bezos has done and continues to do

if you're against the death penalty on principle then fair enough. I dislike it for the argument I mentioned above, and because I don't think the state should have the power to just execute its own citizens. people taking it upon themselves to kill bezos (or any other billionaire) wouldn't be that (and also isn't going to happen. bezos wields so much more power than any of these people)

if the argument is about whether or not death is an appropriate punishment for bezos' exploitation of the working class, I think it's difficult to say for sure. what I can say for certain though is that bezos won't receive any kind of punishment through the systems we have in place today, not when he can buy out politicians. given that, should we be so quick to decry members of the working class expressing their discontent one of the only ways they can?

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sometimes, you've got to put it in the only language they'll understand.
The only things they care about are themselves, so yeah. Absolutely. No billionaire is nice or good or gives a shit about the average person. This is merely a response in self defense to the violence already being placed on protestors.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not here to defend Jeff Bezos of all people, but surely you have to understand that just because some people see intent one way, that doesn't mean other people will accept that or see it the same way. Just like you think my post is some how in defense of Jeff Bezos. Images, words, actions are not universal.

Bezos should be stripped of everything he has, sure. He doesn't deserve the wealth that was built on the backs of people who did nothing but suffer under him. He may even deserve prison, I dunno. Death? Not my place to say.

But don't pretend like parading around a guillotine is just an abstract image. If it is what it is, own up to it.

From the Article

The Independent said:
The guillotine – an execution device famously used during the French Revolution against the country's ruling class, and subsequently against revolutionary leaders – is a frequently-used symbol by protesters criticising the mega-wealthy and politically powerful.

A sign underneath the device read "Support our poor communities. Not our wealthy men."'

"Amazon works directly with police to surveil us, stoking racist fears in the name of profit. Doubling down on their union-busting mistreatment of workers, Amazon fired and racially slandered labour organiser Chris Smalls. Join us to tell Jeff Bezos enough is enough," the flyer read.

Protesters have also criticised the company for allegedly mistreating its employees and for selling facial recognition technology to law enforcement.

I mean...is that not clear?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The upper class is literally putting those of us that have to work with a public on a guillotine by keeping or reopening businesses right now.
This is the problem when we legitimize state sanctioned violence. When it happens, its the reatliation to that violence which garners scrutiny and tutt tutting. I mean were not even seeing retaliation to it in this specific case and yet people want to finger wag over it.

Oct 27, 2017

A guillotine is so anachronistic that it should be a pretty obvious metaphor. Bezos has a degree from Princeton, I'm sure he can figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.