• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Lunches are the worst

One of the last lunch interviews I had, my contacts were two individuals that were obviously awkward and introverted (which is bad because I'm also introverted).

My most recent went well because the guy was a chatterbox and we set a start date like 5 minutes in.

It's a mixed bag. Not unlike actual first dates.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember: outside of a few weird people, most interviewers are rooting for you. They know it's a stressful situation for you, and on top of that they usually hate doing interviews because it takes time away from their deliverables/normal duties and it can also be hard to make good interview questions. Interviewing usually sucks for both sides.

You get a couple weird ego-driven types who just want to prove their superiority by beating down their interviewees but I just view that as a red flag.

If they're giving you lunch, chances are they're just trying to gauge your personality and you've already passed the technical challenges. They wouldn't spend that much money (combined cost of lunch plus employee time) if things weren't going well.

Before COVID, my company would do lunch with candidates as well and on top of gauging personality, they also used it as an opportunity to sell the candidate on the company. Outside of FAANG, where they get absolutely slammed with applicants, most companies have the viewpoint that they're also trying to sell the company to you. It's a two way process where both sides can say no, and these days companies really can't pretend they have the advantage during the interview process.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Ten bux says you blow it at the lunch……
Nah im kidding.

Sounds like they are impressed with your character and the job is pretty much yours, good luck.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
They wouldn't ask you out for lunch if the situation was not favorable - but i'll chime in and say yes, they probably also want to ensure your inter personal skills are "normal".

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Sounds like you're interviewing for a relatively high level position? That's not outside the norm if that's the case. They're making sure they know who you are before bringing you on.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Does your job require you to deal with other people either at or outside the office setting?
They may want to see if you are both compatible.
Other members from the team you might potentially be interacting with might be at the lunch to give their thumbs up.
Just act natural but remain professional.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I had an interview end with lunch before. It was a nice way to talk to the team in an informal setting and get a feel for the personalities. Also probably a good chance for them to see if I was unhinged, which I am, but not in a way that impedes work.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
this is strange to me and red flags go off whenever a company wants/needs more than 3 interviews to make a decision.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Can't find the "story" from r/Antiwork anymore.

But there was this hilarious story about the employer having a deal with the owner of the restaurant. Messed up the food of the future employee on purpose to see their reaction.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is normal; they want to make sure you fit the team social dynamics. Never put the cart in front of the horse, but if this is after the in-person interview and they're dragging the SVP out to meet you, then it means the team are serious about bringing you aboard. Be casual and the same person you've been in the rest of the interview process and it's pretty much a done deal.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
You should make your own lunch and take it with you. Sure sign of a self motivated, goal getting individual..

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd figure this would be to extend an offer, could just be one final personality fit and then maybe pass on for an offer from HR.

If it was a no they wouldn't be taking you out to lunch, they'd send you a "We're not interested at this time" form mail if you get an email at all.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thee SVP of Ops isn't going to waste their time and money buying you lunch, to waste your time with a mean nothing meeting.

Dress to impress and be ten minutes early.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I should mention- the 4/1 interview 3 hours and in-person (met with HR, SVP, CFO and CEO,) so I feel they know that I'm not a wackadoo at this point, lol.

The way I see it either they're still sussing you out as an individual or they like you enough to be up for repeat meetings. Either way is still good, and the latter's even better because it means you've already got a good foot in the door.

Masseyfects

Nov 7, 2017
It's definitely part of the interview process. It's to gauge team fit and overall communication skills. We do these at my work for all candidates.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I have had this happen, and I blew it. Went through all thr interview rounds, then was offered a lunch with prospective manager and someone else. They want to see how you treat work, behave outside of strict interviewing mode. Basically, if you badmouth anyone, talk about people behind their back, and how you approach the business. My mistake was I went off on a tangent about how service management/intake process was crap in my current role. This was very early in my career, like 2nd job in my career.

OP, basically do not talk about anything negative in your current role. Relay everything in positive context. Be normal, talk about sports, walking the dog, etc. Do not talk about anime.

Jan 3, 2018
QrqnA3a.jpg

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Fancy ass burger at the Capital Grille too, when they had an office right next to one. Was a great burger.

I love how I boarded that plane back home thinking I got it. I was a dumb gremlin.
Getting rejected after going through several interviews (and thinking you did well) really stings, I've been through that too. I hope things have worked out better for you since then, though.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It's not that strange. At my current Art Director position, I interviewed then a month later met for lunch(with someone else there) at a Panara before officially getting an offer.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have had this happen, and I blew it. Went through all thr interview rounds, then was offered a lunch with prospective manager and someone else. They want to see how you treat work, behave outside of strict interviewing mode. Basically, if you badmouth anyone, talk about people behind their back, and how you approach the business. My mistake was I went off on a tangent about how service management/intake process was crap in my current role. This was very early in my career, like 2nd job in my career.

OP, basically do not talk about anything negative in your current role. Relay everything in positive context. Be normal, talk about sports, walking the dog, etc. Do not talk about anime.
Unless they bring up anime lol. Then you stick to relatively safe classics like Cowboy Bebop and Ghibli movies. Don't talk about Oreimo or PreCure 😆

Aug 1, 2018
They're trying to make sure you're not a weirdo in real life

Sounds like this. They might ask you some more interview type stuff, but I imagine it's probably more of a "Let's get to know them and see if this person is okay" kind of thing. The last time I had to do a lunch after interviewing I at least got to do it with a group of other potential new hires, so the awkwardness of the whole thing was kind of blunted.

OP
OP
Furiousone

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
this is strange to me and red flags go off whenever a company wants/needs more than 3 interviews to make a decision.
The timeline doesn't bother me so much, I just feel that they have had plenty of time to get to know me at this point. I also feel like if I had not requested an update, then this lunch would have never happened, but perhaps I'm being short sighted and reading too much into it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This was always a good sign in my experience. Though I have not interviewed in over 10 years.

You won't be able to enjoy the lunch though. Its still an interview.

At least I could not enjoy the lunch. I felt too self conscious of what I was doing.

OP
OP
Furiousone

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
I should add(and I edited the OP) there was a brief on-site lunch during the 4/1 interview that was just myself and the SVP of Ops(who I'm meeting again tomorrow). So it feels a slight bit redundant. However, seems like the overwhelming feeling here is that it's an opportunity to meet in a less formal capacity.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Correct, Director level.
This is really the only detail we needed before lol. Yeah, this is absolutely to get a sense of how you are as a person and whether you'll mesh with existing leadership. Hard to all command the ship together if they can't stand you. So while sure you've had a "lunch interview" with them already, the purpose of that wasn't the same as the purpose here. That first lunch was part of a larger day it sounds like, so it was someone getting in their "formal" interview with you when they could fit it in most likely. Even if not many questions about it, that still would've been about the actual job. This lunch really isn't. Just relax, order something that won't lead to mishaps, and like others have said, don't be a weirdo. You've got this, just need to show them you're comfortable around them like they're hoping to be around you.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Pretty sure you got it. Lunch is just to make sure you're serious if they throw an offer your way. This is what happened in my previous job that I landed. Another time this happened (coffee) it was the potential boss to give me a heads up he was leaving the company and if I accepted the role they were going to immediately move me to another department. Appreciated the heads up and declined the job later that afternoon.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
My biggest complaint about a lunch interview is that I find it impossible to actually eat. Way too nervous. Same thing was true for first dates before I met my now wife. She still pokes fun at how she has never seen me eat so little as our first date.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty standard. Bodes well, I'd imagine they want to hire you and this is just final vetting. Generally speaking, conversations over lunch aren't very formal so I wouldn't expect anything too intense. Keep us updated.

And of course they will pay.

OP
OP
Furiousone

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for all of the feedback, it has been helpful. I was going to walk in a bit skeptical, but the comments make me a bit more optimistic. I'll report back with what happens!

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Probably making sure you're not a dick to people (the servers and staff) and then offering you the job. That's my guess.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
My boss took me out for drinks at a bar and made me the official offer there. Maybe this is their style to butter you up first.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wouldn't want to break the bad news to someone when they're in front of me, so this is a very good sign imo.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is normal, OP. I had a bunch of interviews where I went out to lunch with two or three people.

Take the free food, don't order anything messy or anything that would get food stuck in your teeth, and don't order the most expensive item on the menu.