• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

My reactions during and after reading OP

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This is a thread for the ResetEra ages. Its not bad parenting. Bad parenting is hitting your child or some shit, not offering them some junk food.

stressboy

Oct 25, 2017
My wife grilled up some burgers this afternoon. They were delicious. We let our kids have some. Come at me OP.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I like to partially take credit for this legendary thread because I perpetuated him to go on this rant in the spoiler thread.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Did anyone bring up that the OP also stated that parents turning the tv off while a kid was playing Fortnite was considered tantamount to child abuse?

OP
OP
LL_Decitrig

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm back at 0250 Zulu with my second batch of replies.

Ya know I would understand OP's point if Morgan specified a trash-ass burger place like Burger King...but she trusts Happy's taste in burgers well enough to let him pick. She was prolly thinking Five Guys if we're being honest.

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Do you have access to a reliable source that rates burgers according to their nutritional quality?

Right but what I'm saying is that many are overreacting like the OP is some weirdo when really he's just someone concerned with obesity and "mildly concerned" about a normalized depiction of seeking processed food for comfort. It's totally reasonable to disagree with the OP, but some, like the one who questioned his ability to be a good parent, are reacting too strongly.

Yes, but this is Era. Let's play the cards as they're dealt.

Do you think relatives that say "you're so cute, I could just eat you up!" Are promoting cannibalism?

This is invariably what I mean. /s

If OP wanted a good faith discussion about junk food in popular media (I have my doubts) then they shouldn't have started with a wholly inappropriate example. The use of Endgame is just to bait people. They just name a generic 'burger' in the movie anyways, and not all burgers are processed junk food.

They're all beef patties or approximations thereof. Or are we doing a discount on #NotAllBurgers this week?

I think you might be exhibiting symptoms of senility.

Finally, an end to the existential pain of trying to think straight is in sight! I might seriously contemplate a wild dash for the finish line, if it weren't for my love of being alive and engaged in the whole mad frenzy of existence. But to be honest, mostly it's about the coffee.

OP's is gonna fuck around and make junk food so taboo that his kids can't resist it. These type of food based prohibitions don't work for kids.
Marvel-Superheroes-Cookbook.jpg

My kids are way beyond the point where I could drive them to fast food. They're both concerned with my health. I've written here about my occasional use of McDonald's when I'm out in town and likely to miss a meal.

Shawarma isn't unhealthy. Fucking hell.

Well it's essentially marinated meat cooked on a rotisserie, so if eaten by itself it could be unhealthy. Point taken, but as I remarked on the other thread no children were involved.

I wonder if OP has ever watched Spongebob.

I regret that I have not had that privilege.

Yea Marvel is really adding to the obesity problem.

It would be really believable for Stark to ask for a spring salad when he was free, instead of indulging in something delicious.

The obesity problem stems from a lot of things, but child obesity is upto the parents to control. Kids are only getting food from their parents/guardians.

You make a good point. And yet I'm still uncomfortable with a scene in which a five-year-old is offered as many cheeseburgers as they can eat. Obviously you're missing some nuance here.

I weep knowing I will never create a thread half as good as this

It's never too late. Our lifestyle coaches await your calls.
Tomorrow for lunch I'm getting a double western bacon cheeseburger from Carls Jr.

You've inspired me, OP.

Bon appétit.

why cant any of you fuckers just be normal people

Normal people aren't on a video game forum on a Saturday night...

And so we're here.

Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome.
Fremde, etranger, stranger.
Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante,
Happy to see you, bleibe, reste, stay.

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret

Homemade cheese burger do exist you know and are much healthier than the one from fast food joint.

Honestly though, while your passion for tackling kids obesity, using a minor scene in EndGame to push your point is only damaging your point.

I think I've been pretty clear from the start that my intention is to syphon away from the OT a huge number of comments on this minor quibble I had about a scene in the film. A film I adore.

With the greatest of respect, get a life.

Been there, done that. Currently recycling the t-shirt as a cleaning rag.

We're done here. Thread peaked at this point.

Stay, together we could yet reach greater heights.
Cheeseburgers are fine in moderation holy shit what's with the food vilifying????

The child's heart isn't going to instantly clog up after they eat a burger

Edit: OP says he's 60. I call bullshit. Dude is a troll

I was born in the same year as the Fortran programming language, and for that sin I can still give a clear rendition of the intrinsic type rules, the use of the arithmetic if statement, and the permitted forms of the extended do statement in the 1966 standard. Nobody under sixty has a decent excuse to either know or care what that means. Looking back, I can now clearly see the causes of my current state of senile decrepitude in the effort I invested in learning how to grapple with that language while trying to shepherd my clients in the direction of more mathematical paradigms.

Posting at 0350 Zulu

OP
OP
LL_Decitrig

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Things have slowed down a bit. Last batch before bed time.

I lack his nuanced humour and acerbic wit. Probably due to my privations in the Great Hamburger Famine of 1962.

This is a thread for the ResetEra ages. Its not bad parenting. Bad parenting is hitting your child or some shit, not offering them some junk food.

Why not both?

Did anyone bring up that the OP also stated that parents turning the tv off while a kid was playing Fortnite was considered tantamount to child abuse?

That was me. I mentioned that awful "prank" to one of my kids the other day, but since I'm senile I don't know whether they really found it appalling or were simply humouring me.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
OP, no offense but it's coming across like you're projecting really, really hard about something incredibly minor and insignificant here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i desperately want this to be a troll thread, because otherwise it means that someone made a thread because they cannot fathom that sometimes context matters in words that are used
You make a good point. And yet I'm still uncomfortable with a scene in which a five-year-old is offered as many cheeseburgers as they can eat. Obviously you're missing some nuance here.
obviously you're missing some brain cells

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think the kid was offered a 20 pack of Marlboro Gold's and a bottle of Jack Daniels the way the OP has reacted.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Obesity is a bad thing and we shouldn't glorfiy it. Now getting offended at character comforting a child with a silly promise at her father's funeral in a fucking Marvel film of all things is not a hill to die on OP. Fight obesity through other methods.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
This is where I draw the line as well. OP is essentially equating feeding your child occasional junk food to physical abuse. That's beyond fucked up.

If you only feed your children junk food I could understand the argument of child abuse. Obesity is no joke. Now having the occasional Big Mac as a treat is fine. We can't expect a parent to only feed their children salads all day, every day. That's silly.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god the op is so baffling that any joke i could make about it is just impossibly difficult. like, oh my god... come on. obesity is a serious subject but a throw-away line in a marvel movie? really, this is the hill you want to make this statement on? come on. i feel bad for the kid that this person is parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.