• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm gonna get that money, people getting helped, some rich people's taxes going up.

463bcd13197a1202acae2a25159ddbe6cef155af.gif

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
My thoughts exactly. Lots of weird Democrat defense going on in here, with folks talking about technicalities and obscure legislative details. Y'all need to come around on the fact that NONE OF THAT SHIT matters to the average voter, and this entire process has been horrible optics for the Democratic Party.
I really don't think the average voter is wondering where their extra $600 is. Prove me wrong.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Again, like I said, it's a question of priorities. Increasing direct payments to individuals was seen as less of a priority than doing more targeted relief for states, pensions, access to health care, and lower-wage families.

Sorry if you're getting less money as a result, but that's why it is what it is (and I say this who has not gotten a single dime in COVID relief). There's virtually no way to do something this wide-ranging without creating winners and losers on some levels, but that is how macroeconomic policy works.

So the losers should just shut up then because it is what it is.

Got it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
People, a bill is about to be signed that will cut child poverty in half, give a group of people who haven't seen a stimulus check in the previous two rounds, and extends the unemployment benefits.

Can we go a day with out tearing each other's throats out?
No! Because amidst a comprehensive 600 page bill that has tons of benefits because they missed on an extra 600 dollars it's an issue! /s

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you guys are really demeaning ppls circumstances. This was never enough, so of course people are still unhappy. They can both acknowledge that this money is needed with caveats and still criticize their reps and the process.
I'm pretty sure the people complaining about $600 and saying who cares about all the other shit are the ones demeaning other people's circumstances.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Biden is the first Dem prez in >50 years to not run away from FDR's legacy. And it's largely due to pressure from progressives! There's tons more to do, but people need to take the win. You out-Neil'd him!

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
No! Because amidst a comprehensive 600 page bill that has tons of benefits because they missed on an extra 600 dollars it's an issue! /s
Have you read that bill? I'm sure if you did you'd find things to criticize as well. Idk why you guys get so defensive when ppl want better out of their government.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This is honestly the most progressive bill passed in a very long time. Can't wait until the benefits roll out.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, there's a contingent here on Era that are as convinced as Congressional Republicans that the American public hates this bill despite all evidence the contrary.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
So the losers should just shut up then because it is what it is.

Got it.

I guess my question is what do you think is the policy case for $600 extra in direct payments to individuals over doing all the other things that this bill does, because I simply don't see it.

If you personally come out worse because of the policy decision made, that's unfortunate and I hope that the economic boost that this gives the country as a whole results in an improved working situation for you soon, but I still think that the targeted relief that they are offering with this bill is a better alternative to an extra $600/person in individual payments across the board.

"Why not both?" isn't a particularly salient answer (and frankly neither is the extra $600 in the first place, given the political realities)...

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Seriously, there's a contingent here on Era that are as convinced as Congressional Republicans that the American public hates this bill despite all evidence the contrary.

It's hard to remember many bills with 70+% public support in general. Obamacare and the 2009 stimulus weren't even close.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Did you find anything bad in the bill? By and by large, it's good stuff throughout most of it.
why would I need to read the bill when I specifically already have a problem with a provision that directly affects me? The point of my post is that to blindly defend the bill is kinda disingenuous when people like me need more assistance that this bill will not provide.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no not really? I too could use that extra $600 as well. So pls continue to be presumptuous assholes.
So it's all about fuck you, where's my shit? Never mind that this is literally the most progressive bill in any of our lifetimes, $600 less than you were expecting is the big takeaway, right?

Never mind, you're last post literally says that's the problem.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Imagine being against healthcare.

The GOP's brainwashing on that really worked on some people and the benefits were a bit confusing right away, so I understand why the public support was less than 70%. The American Rescue Plan at least has clear and immediate benefits that will come out right away.

Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
Have you read that bill? I'm sure if you did you'd find things to criticize as well. Idk why you guys get so defensive when ppl want better out of their government.

why would I need to read the bill when I specifically already have a problem with a provision that directly affects me? The point of my post is that to blindly defend the bill is kinda disingenuous when people like me need more assistance that this bill will not provide.

You're actually contributing nothing, you're actively taking an antagonistic point and willfully ignoring the entire contents of this bill over $600. There's a shitton of assistance going out with this bill that isn't a check.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Several days ago I was lamenting how long the relief bill was taking so this is great news.

People always gotta bring the mood down.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Hopefully more relief will come later that affects you.

Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
When do you think we'll start seeing the $1400 hit direct deposit?

Possibly as early as next week.

For anyone sharing EloquentM's viewpoint, here's a rundown of some of the points of relief in this bill.

•The average household in the bottom quintile of America's economic ladder will see its annual income rise by more than 20 percent.

• A family of four with one working parent and one unemployed one will have $12,460 more in government benefits to help them make ends meet.

• The poorest single mothers in America will receive at least $3,000 more per child in government support, along with $1,400 for themselves and additional funds for nutritional assistance and rental aid.

• Child poverty in the U.S. will drop by half.

• More than 1 million unionized workers who were poised to lose their pensions will now receive 100 percent of their promised retirement benefits for at least the next 30 years.

• America's Indigenous communities will receive $31.2 billion in aid, the largest investment the federal government has ever made in the country's Native people.

• Black farmers will receive $5 billion in recompense for a century of discrimination and dispossession, a miniature reparation that will have huge consequences for individual African-American agriculturalists, many of whom will escape from debt and retain their land as a direct result of the legislation.

• The large majority of Americans who earn less than $75,000 as individuals or less than $150,000 as couples will receive a $1,400 stimulus check for themselves and another for each child or adult dependent in their care.

• America's child-care centers will not go into bankruptcy en masse, thanks to a $39 billion investment in the nation's care infrastructure.

• Virtually all states and municipalities in America will exit the pandemic in better fiscal health than pre-COVID, which is to say a great many layoffs of public employees and cutbacks in public services will be averted.

• No one in the United States will have to devote more than 8.5 percent of their income to paying for health insurance for at least the next two years, while ACA plans will become premium-free for a large number of low-income workers.

• America's unemployed will not see their federal benefits lapse this weekend and will have an extra $300 to spend every week through the first week in September.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
You're actually contributing nothing, you're actively taking an antagonistic point and willfully ignoring the entire contents of this bill over $600. There's a shitton of assistance going out with this bill that isn't a check.
i'm not ignoring a thing. You guys somehow think criticism and acceptance of adequacy is somehow opposing ideas. You can do both at the same time. It's not an either or situation. The ideas are not mutually exclusive. You guys are so hostile and yet ignoring that people STILL need help. That's why the 600$ keeps coming up.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I guess my question is what do you think is the policy case for $600 extra in direct payments to individuals over doing all the other things that this bill does, because I simply don't see it.

If you personally come out worse because of the policy decision made, that's unfortunate and I hope that the economic boost that this gives the country as a whole results in an improved working situation for you soon, but I still think that the targeted relief that they are offering with this bill is a better alternative to an extra $600/person in individual payments across the board.

"Why not both?" isn't a particularly salient answer (and frankly neither is the extra $600 in the first place, given the political realities)...

I disagree. I think "Why not both" is a very valid answer. We should consistently be demanding more of the people in charge even if one party is far and away better than the other.

However, my personal issue isn't with the $600. It is with the UI boost. The extension is great but it should have been more than $400 when this bill was first put out there. To have it then stay at $300, in my opinion, is terrible. There are many people without children in this country who have been jobless for almost a year at this point. The fact that (because of Republicans), there was no UI boost from September to January and no regular stimulus checks means that there are many, many people in this country who are in very difficult situations. There are multiple posters here on Era who have put themselves in that category for a number of reasons.

This is fantastic bill overall. It does an immense amount of good. But it is absolutely fine to criticise specific elements of it and it is fair to call out democrats who misled or straight up lied about what the checks would be.

Coming into the thread to be a snarky jerk and flatly shit on the bill and/or democrats as one or two people did is childish. That adds nothing to do the discussion. But there are valid complaints to be had and shutting those complaints down with "it is what it is" is pretty poor form as well.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did the unemployment tax credit come through with this? If so I'd have to file an amended return right? (even if I already got my refund)

Hopefully this is just the beginning and not a one and done thing, a lot of this stuff should be permanent.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Lots of weird Democrat defense going on in here, with folks talking about technicalities and obscure legislative details. Y'all need to come around on the fact that NONE OF THAT SHIT matters to the average voter, and this entire process has been horrible optics for the Democratic Party.
Horrible optics??? This bill is massively popular.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not ignoring a thing. You guys somehow think criticism and acceptance of adequacy is somehow opposing ideas. You can do both at the same time. It's not an either or situation. The ideas are not mutually exclusive. You guys are so hostile and yet ignoring that people STILL need help. That's why the 600$ keeps coming up.

I could use a hell of a lot more than that $600 and yet I don't have much interest in being negative whereas that's all some want to be.

so what is your point.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

You're blindly attacking the bill when you just admitted to only knowing the one part that affects you. Back it up.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Rn approval for the bill is pretty high among americans according to polling. Approval for biden is pretty high at 60 percent too.

If you asked every american, wouldn't you want more? By large it would be yes, but if your assertion is that this bill is a negative optics for democrats, you should provide more information and stats.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I could use a hell of a lot more than that $600 and yet I don't have much interest in being negative whereas that's all some want to be.

so what is your point.
The point is it's not enough. Our government is leaving us out to dry, giving us crumbs, and everyone would rather roll over.

my UI benefits, tax credit, and student loans forbearance aren't enough either. Your government can do more, so demand it.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It might be good to read the bill because there are things in there that could help you. I don't know your situation, but one example I can see... if you were on unemployment in 2020, the first $10,200 of UI is tax free. That is a savings of over $600 depending on your circumstances.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The bill is very good hell it even added 60 billion in revenue on companies with executive compensation over 1 million. No bill or legislation is perfect and if we had 60 democrats in the senate the bill would be even greater and we wouldn't even need to do this via budget reconciliation. There are way bigger things to fry and some people continually make this one point of Mismessaging as being something that negates how massive this bill is and how many people it impacts in a positive manner. There's way better shit to criticize Dems for but this is like missing the forest amongst the trees.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Did the unemployment tax credit come through with this? If so I'd have to file an amended return right? (even if I already got my refund)

Hopefully this is just the beginning and not a one and done thing, a lot of this stuff should be permanent.
Yes the $10k tax-free UI made it in. Not sure on the process needed to claim it.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
They can get the $600 with the recovery rebate credit for the 2020 taxes.
www.cnet.com

Are you old enough to receive a stimulus check? What it takes to qualify as an adult

Are you eligible to get your own stimulus check, contribute to your family's overall amount or get no money at all? We'll tell you how the eligibility rules for the third stimulus payment apply to you.
They also mention the original $1200. I'm not positive about that one, however.
How does this work if the dependent has already filed their 2020 taxes? We're approaching mid March here so some of them may have already done it

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Actual crumbs would be massively popular at this point.
Good thing this isn't crumbs.

This bill represents a 20% after-tax income increase to the lowest-income Americans.

This bill is massive relative to both the modern history of the US, and to what almost every other country has implemented.

"The U.S. fiscal response in 2020 was among the largest in the world. It was comparable to, or slightly smaller than, the responses in a few other countries like Germany and Canada, but roughly the same," said Jason Furman, a senior Obama administration official. "The fiscal response in 2021 so far in the United States is massively larger than what any other country has done to date or is currently discussing."

Read that part one more time.

"The fiscal response in 2021 so far in the United States is massively larger than what any other country has done to date or is currently discussing."

But yeah, "crumbs." Give me a break.

www.seattletimes.com

How the $1.9 trillion U.S. stimulus package compares with other countries’ coronavirus spending

President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion relief package is mammoth in scope. But amid a pandemic that has wrought severe economic damage around the world, many governments have made dramatic spending pledges. Here's how U.S. measures stack up.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You're blindly attacking the bill when you just admitted to only knowing the one part that affects you. Back it up.
Lmfao. I can't believe they didn't even read the bill or even look up all the damn synopses on it especially with the monthly payment aspect in ways and the economic impacts. Hilarious.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
My Birthday is on the 22nd, hoping to get the money by then.

Now if only finding a PS5 wasn't an impossible task.

Status
Not open for further replies.