• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 8, 2019
Probably popular opinion now (maybe?), but I feel like AEW roster has gotten too large and it's time to trim the fat.

There's no point in having the Shawn Spears, Chris Jericho, and Jake Hager on your roster when you know have significantly better wrestlers who can all talk better.

Shawn Spears career highlight is still being super kicked by Shawn Michaels.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I loathe the "sports entertainment" appeal to respectability image.

Wrestling is Carny shit, the Carnier the better.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Hulk Hogan's Undisputed Run was fucking amazing. Top 5 best things post Attitude Era.

It's honestly my favorite incarnation of Hogan.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Sting has always sucked. Even when I was an edgy teenager I thought the Crow wannabe gimmick was lame as hell. It's honestly hilarious to me that he's still doing it at 60+ years old.

(I think it was Buckle who said recently that he's never come across another person that doesn't like Sting, so I'm happy to hold that title)

Sting sucks. He's always sucked. He's never been cool, and it bugs the hell out of me watching a 60 year old man beating young talent.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who supports WWE should be barred from watching any type of wrestling for the rest of their lives.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in having the Shawn Spears, Chris Jericho, and Jake Hager on your roster when you know have significantly better wrestlers who can all talk better.

Shawn Spears career highlight is still being super kicked by Shawn Michaels.
How is Shawn Spears slander not a bannable offense yet?

Paragon

May 5, 2018
Quality and success aren't inherently correlated and therefore using 'drawing ability' as a criteria for judging the greatest wrestler of all time is dumb as hell. People would clown on anyone who tried to argue that Avengers: Endgame and Avatar are the two greatest movies of all time based on their 'drawing ability' so I don't know why people entertain this argument in wrestling circles.

AEW does have a problem with how it books it's women, black and even Japanese talent and it's annoying that people will handwave it away like it's not a problem. It is genuinely embarrassing to use diversity as a selling point for your company whilst doing worse on that front than fucking Vince McMahon.

Bret Hart is fantastic but he's not even the best wrestler of the 90s, let alone the best of all time.

I can't take Darby Allin seriously because his whole persona just gives of massive Shadow the Hedgehog vibes.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Kurt Angle's run from 2000-2007 was incredible. Kurt was so fucking over. It's too bad drugs (and alcohol...and other things) really derailed him.

(Not unpopular, but I'm compelled to say it) Stupid Chris Jericho using the last 6 years to wipe away 25+ previous years of greatness. I hate you now, Chris Irvine.

Mark Henry should've had the chance to heal up (like other wrestlers got multiple times, even within the same calendar year) and continue his Hall of Pain run. Fuck the haters.

- Biker Taker was Taker's best gimmick.

Facts.

CM Punk with nothing to chase or rebel against is just a boring thing to watch.

Sad to say, I agree. There's no machine to rage against, so Punk just becomes Phil doing his job. If he enjoys that, I'm happy for him, but it's so damn BORING.

EDIT

Quality and success aren't inherently correlated and therefore using 'drawing ability' as a criteria for judging the greatest wrestler of all time is dumb as hell. People would clown on anyone who tried to argue that Avengers: Endgame and Avatar are the two greatest movies of all time based on their 'drawing ability' so I don't know why people entertain this argument in wrestling circles.

AEW does have a problem with how it books it's women, black and even Japanese talent and it's annoying that people will handwave it away like it's not a problem. It is genuinely embarrassing to use diversity as a selling point for your company whilst doing worse on that front than fucking Vince McMahon.

Bret Hart is fantastic but he's not even the best wrestler of the 90s, let alone the best of all time.

I can't take Darby Allin seriously because his whole persona just gives of massive Shadow the Hedgehog vibes.

YES TO ALL OF THIS, ESPECIALLY DARBY.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
NJPW has just been great matches with bad creative/booking for a couple of years
Roman Reigns' heel run started off strong, but is now incredibly boring, and has been for some time
The Young Bucks are the best tag team of all time
Britt Baker is an average in ring performer, at best
It doesn't matter if he's face or heel, Seth Rollins is an awful character/actor

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Steven Austin was a terrible wrestler.
Part of that was the gimmick. He's a legit better worker than other popular bad wrestlers like Hogan. I'd say he's more avg than some people give him credit for.

The best thing about the Kane character was his enterance with the theme - Slow Chemical. Also, the Forcible Entry themes are some of the best themes from that era.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Steven Austin was a terrible wrestler.
stone-cold.gif

What's next, Bret Hart Hart sucked? I know, unpopular opinions and all, but damn...some of these takes are straight up bizarre.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Hangman Page should've been the first AEW champion. I believed this before Jericho showed how much of a dumb fuck he was.

The Dark Order is one of the worst things going on right now. It feels like the writers had planned for Brodie to be only bigtime star of the group, and then decided to stay with that plan after his passing. You'd think they'd finally get a push against Kenny and his guys after siding with Page, but nope.

The best character of 2021 has been, without question, Dexter Lumis.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Great Khali's theme song is probably one of the greatest wrestling themes ever.
Ric Flair had one of the greatest retirement runs ever, and I think he's an asshole for cheapening it by getting back in the ring. Though not as much as Shawn Michaels cheapened his legacy by selling out for Saudi money to have one of the worst matches of his career.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Hangman Page should've been the first AEW champion. I believed this before Jericho showed how much of a dumb fuck he was.

The Dark Order is one of the worst things going on right now. It feels like the writers had planned for Brodie to be only bigtime star of the group, and then decided to stay with that plan after his passing. You'd think they'd finally get a push against Kenny and his guys after siding with Page, but nope.

The best character of 2021 has been, without question, Dexter Lumis.
This group of craziness definitely would be considered unpopular

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
- None of the 4 horsewomen are actually great wrestlers. Becky is fire on the mic but slow and choreographed in the ring. Charlotte is crazy athletic but super unsafe. Sasha bumps like a joshi but can't strike like one. Bayley is just kinda there. They're leagues ahead of the divas, but Bianca is like all of their best traits combined.

- Britt still isn't a great wrestler. She's improved A LOT and does amazing heel work, but aside from her death match with Thunder Rosa her matches have been good but not outstanding.

- Not unpopular, but my mind is still blown that Thunder Rosa is so good now considering she used to be Kobra Moon. Kobra was the worst wrestler on the LU roster so it's amazing to see how much she's improved.

- AEW has lots of great joshis but won't let them work an actual hard-hitting joshi style match because it would make the rest of the women's division (and a good deal of the men's) look bad in comparison. We got a brief glimpse of it in the Riho v Emi match, but otherwise the women's division lacks the speed and strikes that it needs to differentiate itself from WWE.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some terrible takes so far but nothing unsurprising here.

As for me:

If you know about the history of WWE and specifically Vince McMahon and still support the company, you are not a good person, no matter how many times you say "separate the art from the artist".

Similar to the last point, people who constantly justify liking certain wrestlers/industry people despite their history of bigotry and other heinous shit because they were their favourite or they have good stories are also not good people.

Hardcore wrestling fans put too much emphasis on workrate and not enough on promos and segments. I love a good 5* classic like everyone else but a wrestling show needs engaging characters and stories to actually mean anything otherwise it's all for nothing.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, this thread reeks of WWE people came out of the wood work.

Enjoy supporting a monster of a company I guess.

Here is mine: people who watch WWE should be banned from this forum

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I sincerely hope they've stopped having Moxley wrestle 50 year old Japanese men. Or anyone on the roster at this point unless they actually put some effort into introducing some of these guys. The "oh shit it's x" or "oh and next week" approach does nothing for nobody who's not deeply plugged into this stuff already.

I don't want to see Braun or Bray in AEW.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
When it comes to matches I'm honestly just in it for the awesome moves. Have been for 25 years. I don't care about restholds or psychology, all I want to see are people doing burning hammers and screwdrivers with a fighting spirit kickout at one.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Wrestling needs more fantasy/sci-fi/supernatural characters like Undertaker, Kane, the Fiend, etc. Not everyone needs a gimmick like that, but I'd like for them to be a bit more common.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
As someone very new to pro-wrestling, I don't have any major takes - I'm still taking it all in. All the different styles and acrobatics are impressive. Started with ROH and New Japan and then was introduced to AEW.

CM Punk seems pretty cool, I didn't know who he was prior to AEW, but I like that he seems super positive talking about all the newer, younger wrestlers. He seems very humble.

I guess one take would be I don't really like when they draw blood (sometimes I know its an accident, other times they do it on purpose) or use tacks, stuff like that. Not sure if that's an 'unpopular' take though.

The Op compels me:

-bryan danielson is not a good wrestler and has never done anything entertaining.
-sami zain is not a good wrestler and has never done anything entertaining.
-cm punk is not a good wrestler (but ses was legit brilliant and he played it perfectly)
-bray wyatt was alright for wwe but he is done, they gave hi all the creative control he wanted and it was trash.
-cena does not know how to wrestle or promo or anything.
-roman does not know how to wrestle or promo or anything.
-AEW fans are legit blind to the whitness old man problem the fed has now (they are not abandoning their "developmental" but they went too far into the tna playbook)
-Tony Khan is the problem with the women in AEW and he needs to see it and do something about it.
-Patriarchy killed CMLL.
-cody is too carny for Khan and someday it will bite him in the ass.
-steve austin is a disgusting wife beater of a human being and is revolting how the fans worship him go read what he did and how he avoided the law, HE RAN a coward is your hero...
-covid probably killed lucha's momentum globally. (also the twitch stuff)
-AAA is hiring the worst wrestlers from CMLL.
-NJPW booking got really bad when the elite jumped and they were right with their demands (but I also think nothing happened in the end)
-I legit don't want to see any male wwe talent ever again. (New Day is the exception)

Enough for now...

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
- The Undertaker is the most overrated performer ever and any match he's been in that's good he's been completely carried in…

- Peak Kurt Angie in the WWE is the greatest combination of character/worker/talker ever in any promotion and has yet to be bested

- Deathmatch wrestling is absolute fucking garbage and has zero appeal

- Kazuchika Okada is the greatest Japanese wrestler ever and 100% on wrestling's Mount Rushmore

- Becky Lynch completely ripping off Conor McGregor and making a career off of it is equal parts hilarious and eye roll worthy….she's never been anything but average IMO

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
- None of the 4 horsewomen are actually great wrestlers. Becky is fire on the mic but slow and choreographed in the ring. Charlotte is crazy athletic but super unsafe. Sasha bumps like a joshi but can't strike like one. Bayley is just kinda there. They're leagues ahead of the divas, but Bianca is like all of their best traits combined.

- Britt still isn't a great wrestler. She's improved A LOT and does amazing heel work, but aside from her death match with Thunder Rosa her matches have been good but not outstanding.

- Not unpopular, but my mind is still blown that Thunder Rosa is so good now considering she used to be Kobra Moon. Kobra was the worst wrestler on the LU roster so it's amazing to see how much she's improved.

- AEW has lots of great joshis but won't let them work an actual hard-hitting joshi style match because it would make the rest of the women's division (and a good deal of the men's) look bad in comparison. We got a brief glimpse of it in the Riho v Emi match, but otherwise the women's division lacks the speed and strikes that it needs to differentiate itself from WWE.

You got my sword, but I'd argue that AEW doesn't have enough top flight women period. I could probably count on one hand the number of women wrestlers on that roster I'd trust to carry a match so it's probably a good thing they're only doing one women's match per Dynamite.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scorpio was looking so much better within SCU and now they playing my guy like some low level douchebag.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I only really keep up with wrasslin nowadays cause the backstage drama and meta narrative of AEW vs WWE is compelling to me. I want to see how it all plays out. I feel like I've fallen out of love with the in ring product, AEW hasn't brought it back either. I don't watch any of the shows outside of clips on reddit/YouTube.

WM30, Daniel Bryan's story, was the last thing to hook me into watching week to week.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I like The Rock, but he was never a reason I tuned in. I'd put Foley and Austin above him on my must watch wrestler list

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
AEW has way to many old fucks. I want to watch new guys wrestle new guys. I don't need every new guy saddled with a manager from WCW 25 years ago or fueding with some WWE guy from 10 years ago.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to have an unpopular wrestling take that isn't a dumb one. Spent hours thinking about this.

Theres so many diverse opinions about wrestling so few of the takes are genuinely unpopular.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to have an unpopular wrestling take that isn't a dumb one. Spent hours thinking about this.

Theres so many diverse opinions about wrestling so few of the takes are genuinely unpopular.
I dunno, one person said Bryan Danielson isn't a good wrestler and I think it made me lose brain cells. But yeah for the most part I completely agree with what you're saying.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, one person said Bryan Danielson isn't a good wrestler and I think it made me lose brain cells. But yeah for the most part I completely agree with what you're saying.

Yeah I'm struggling to come up with an unpopular opinion, truly unpopular, that isnt dumb. Like Bryan Danielson being a bad wrestler is an unpopular opinion but it's also fucking dumb hHaha

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I came to post this. I liked the direction they were taking Dark Order with the infomercials and stuff initially, they just had to lose some of the corniness, instead they took a hard turn into comedy and now I have no idea what they are beyond a group of people who do a hand gesture and some of them have masks, it's not like they are recruiting anyone.

I like AEW but it just has too much goof troop shit. Jurassic Express is lame, The Elite are goofs most of the time, Best Friends, HFO, Janela, Wingmen, Excalibur gimmicked up while doing commentary.

Oct 29, 2017
If David Von Erich didnt pass away, Fritz should have turned him heel. An David/Kerry feud would have toppled WWF.
Jim Cornette needs to become the Young Bucks Manager. Something that will actually happen.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I don't know if it's unpopular or not, but fuck anyone beating Miro for like the next year. Sammy ain't shit. He is nowhere near as entertaining. The TnT title got a massive down grade, taking it off God's Favorite Champion.

Angelico has the best new finisher with the Navarro Death Roll that I've seen in a long ass time and it's being wasted jobbing him out in the HFO.

Last edited: