• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Generation Has Been The Best For Resident Evil?

• Fifth Gen: Resident Evil 1-2-3-Survivor

Votes: 242 36.4%
  • Sixth Gen: Code Veronica, RE4, reMake, RE0, Outbreak 1/2

Votes: 254 38.3%
  • Seventh Gen: RE5, RE6, Revelations

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Eigth Gen: RE7, REmake 2, REmake 3, Revelations 2

Votes: 251 37.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to say fifth gen, because even though sixth gen has REmake, it also has RE4.

RE1-3 at least are consistent in quality, even if they are a bit dated by today's standards.

Oct 27, 2017
This generation. Capcom hasn't put out a 'bad' RE in this gen which there is one or two present in each of the others. Plus, I'm not as hot on RE4 as others. As I've stated before on here; I actually prefer 5 over it But 6 took it too far and was actually badly designed outright (poor campaign length- far too long, lack of series identity, QTEs, scattershot approach to narrative) with a couple of neat combat additions. The first generation comes close but this one just pips it for me.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Revelations 1 is eight gen, it launched exclusively on the 3DS.

I'd say every gen had two masterpieces for their time except the seventh. RE1+2 were absolute revolutions at the time. REmake made the original even better and 4 was another revolution in gaming. Similar pattern 8th gen with RE7 being one of the biggest leaps in gaming yet thanks to VR and REmake 2 turning an amazing original into another classic three gens later.

Voting 8th because it had two good new games in Rev 1 + 2, two masterpieces in 7 + Remake 2 and we got ports of virtually everything else. Haven't played RE3 but I assume it's at least good too.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Experiencing RE 1/2 in the 90s was a blast. The only titles to ever come close are their remakes and RE7.

I feel like RE4 is the series' Badboy Records. Revolutionary and refreshing at first but ended up ruining rap. RE 5/6 went totally in the wrong direction.

I'm proud of Capcom for coming back with RE7.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
RE0 and CV cancel out RE4 and REmake out of pure shittiness. RE7 and R3make aren't perfect, but this gen has been consistently good for RE. Not to mention what an amazing comeback it is after 5 and 6.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sixth gen. REmake and RE4 are the two best games in the series and two of the best games Capcom has ever made.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Jawmuncher actually has 5 alt-accounts?

That's as good confirmation as any.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
re1-3 for pretty much inventing and developing the horror-genre
re7,remake2+3 for showing that capcom still can kick ass.

remake2+3 showed how to make remakes. they did not need to "hype" people for more than 10 years, unlike SE and still bring out one game which is not the full remake.

this is how videogames should work. bring out a game out of nowhere and blow everyone away.
give me a little hype just like back then during oot(1-2 years making people wait for a game and then blow them away).

capcom still kicks ass, great job!

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm really torn between Sixth and Eight Gen. RE7 and RE2 Remake feel masterfully crafted to me (I'm still working through 3 Remake slowly as it launched in the middle of my work week and I've barely had time to play — I'm not omitting it out of spite, I just have not actually played enough to fully form an opinion), but REmake and RE4 were defining to me. REmake peaked the initial console survival horror design and RE4 was really goddamn influential, and I did love it to bits as well...

I think I give the slight nod to 6th gen but I put in votes for 6th and 8th. I played through RE2 Remake at least 30 times last year, no exaggeration — it's truly one of my favorite games of all time and is recent enough to still be burned into my mind. RE4 easily held a similar and long-running sense of prestige on that level, too, though it has admittedly faded back a bit as I have not replayed RE4 in some time.

Oct 27, 2017
This is first time since the GameCube that we've had the entire mainline series playable start to finish. We've had 2 good remakes (and yes I am including RE3 in that) and the excellent RE7 which for many got the series back on track after RE6.

This has been an excellent generation for RE fans.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
OG RE games were like cheap b-horror movies and very enjoyable.

Newer RE games are the same except they are lauded for their rich story and unique narrative, which makes me chuckle
They are? By whom? You must be running in different circles.

Experiencing RE 1/2 in the 90s was a blast. The only titles to ever come close are their remakes and RE7.

I feel like RE4 is the series' Badboy Records. Revolutionary and refreshing at first but ended up ruining rap. RE 5/6 went totally in the wrong direction.

I'm proud of Capcom for coming back with RE7.
and then you put on Hypnotize and still everybody goes wild

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda incredible how well Capcom nailed RE this gen after what they did last gen.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It's Gen 8 if we're going by the overall quality of the groupings as the poll implies.

REmake and 4 are excellent but if I'm judging that gen based on the inclusion of 0 and CV then YIKES is it going down more than a few notches.

OG Trilogy is neat but the inclusion of survivor brings it down a touch.

Gen 8 is the most consistently excellent Resi has ever been.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Holy shit, I've never felt so lonely in a poll.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 and RE2make and REmake are my favorites so I guess this one. I like RE4 as well but not as much as those ones.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's tough. I adore OG RE1, RE2, and RE3. Made the PS1 an even better platform. There is also nostalgia, as RE1 was my first horror game and was super scary to me. Also tough, took me months to beat.

But Code Veronica and the Outbreaks, fuck, I loved the Outbreaks. RE4 was amazing, even if I played the crappy PS2 port (didn't own a Gamecube).

It has flaws, but I really like RE5 as well. RE6 can go die in a fire though.

And of course, the re-release of Remake and 0 for this gen, RE7 (great return to survival horror), Remake 2, Remake 3 *chefs kiss*. Rev 2 was pretty good as well.

I answered fifth gen for the poll (that nostalgia), but I honestly love most of the Resident Evil's.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This shows why RE is by far the most overall split fanbase. There are so many factions and different tastes.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not the best time to make a poll imo, people will vote Gen 8 because the remakes of RE2/3 are new & exciting.
I think Gen 6 takes this away but Gen 5 is very close.
- Remake 1 is better than 2 & vastly superior to the mediocre remake of 3
-4 is obviously a masterpiece
-CV/Zero are decent games but i will admit the series started to take a stumble here
-Outbreak 1/2 is interesting, i feel like this is a great example of great games on the wrong platform, if this was on Xbox/PC, it would have been much more popular, the lack of online use on PS2 let these spin offs down.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
6th was really good, REmake and RE4 were ace and PS2 could still play the classics. The franchise was expanding in crazy directions at the time, as well.

RE7 VR though... man what an experience. Hard to say if it edges out RE4 but the fact that you can even debate it says a LOT about the quality of that experience. RE2 and RE3 are also great, but lack that staying power that RE7 had for me. End of Zoe also deserves special mention because it is 10/10

I guess I will have to go with gen 8, since I can play all these games on PS4 lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the relationship was like between Nintendo and Capcom with their exclusivity deal, but they certainly gave them some special sauce between remake and 4.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Fifth gen is the most consistent (survivor aside...) but Sixth has the two best games...so one of those two.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
REmake alone makes Sixth the true answer. RE4 was a very nice bonus.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It's between fifth gen, and eight gen.
Revs 2 is better than survivor, but is it enough to push it over fifth gen? 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 is my favorite in the series, so that gets my vote. The other vote went to the first one, as it has the most great games in one generation.

But I honestly love all of them, RE is one of the most consistent in quality series that I enjoy, which is crazy considering how wildly it changes between generations.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How dare you not include Dead Aim in gen 6 OP? Give Bruce Mcgivern his due!

Oct 30, 2017
Was stuck choosing for a second until I saw 2 votes allowed, seems like a cop out. Still, OG RE1-3 the GOAT, and RE7 plus 2 and 3 remake are fantastically great

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Great poll, crazy to see all three so close. But yeah I pick 6th as RE4 is the best action game ever made. CV and REmake are absolute classics. 0 whatever and outbreak were really awesome early online games. When you have three top tier RE games like that it's hard to beat.

The OG classics will always hold a place in my heart, RE2 is a masterpiece.

Current gen is similar to the 5th, RE7 was a great rebirth. RE2 is a masterpiece again. And RE3 is a lesser product again.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say this gen had the best RE games. The remakes of 2 and 3 are so good that I want another remake of RE1 which means I feel REmake is outdated. It's telling how all the people going to bat for RE4 aren't willing to do the same for it's siblings 5+6. Say what you want about the game, that little fact alone makes it the beginning of a decline and makes my feelings on it a bit sour. Either way. Fanbase is always going to be split but it seems very clear now that action RE crowd is very much a minority of dogs who bark very loud.