• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are PlayStation Fans Happy With Sony's Current Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 598 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 717 24.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1,586 54.7%

• Total voters

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He has absolutely no charisma or swag. He's not even embarrassingly charming like the Unravel dude. Tretton has swag, Shu has swag, Boyes has swag, Andrew House was British.

Yeah I miss Jackie T and Shu sadly seems to have gone pretty quiet compared to earlier in the generation.

Hopefully we'll hear more from Cerny too as we get closer to the PS5. I do find him quite interesting to listen to.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cover the base of "Sony will have an exclusive 1st party AAA game at launch"? Yep, that base is covered. Man, a really huge base here. So yes, see 'ya in 2 years.

I don't even follow what you're saying any longer. Every system launches with at least one 1st party AAA game. You're not really making a point.

Yeah I miss Jackie T and Shu sadly seems to have gone pretty quiet compared to earlier in the generation.

Hopefully we'll hear more from Cerny too as we get closer to the PS5. I do find him quite interesting to listen to.

That's because Cerny is a nerd, in a good way. You can tell he loves what he does.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
More interestingly, what's the order of what you think Sony should talk about when they do open back up for conversation. For me, I think a PlayStation that's speaking has to talk for:

1. Updated views on cross platform play after the trial beta with Fortnite

2. Their long term goals of PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now as service platforms

3. The future of PS VR, hopefully a wireless announcement

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I could listen to Cerny talk all day, but I know he's been in the Cerny Cave with the Hardware team building 5. But Cerny has charisma too. I'd almost prefer they get a Kevin Butler type to host everything.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
There has to be some kind of reveal event, like a PlayStation meeting, that they want to keep under wraps until we get closer to that date. No PSX this year and no E3 next year, is a bit fishy.

Would they reveal PS5 at a CES stage? PlayStation has become Sony's biggest division and the CEO usually is the one that presents there. IMO It would make sense for the new CEO to do the reveal to show his vision for Sony as a whole.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about Killzone. Let it go. So there was exactly one AAA Sony game at the launch of the PS4. One. I don't even expect that for the PS5. Development costs continue to rise and I don't see how Sony could justify skipping the PS4 entirely for the PS5 at launch.

If the PS5 launches in spring 2020 as I expect it to, there won't be any AAA exclusive games. I could see Sony releasing one in the fall of 2020, and still counting it in their "launch window." By fall 2020 the install base should be large enough to justify a AAA PS5 exclusive from Sony. But cross gen will be the vast majority of AAA games for the first year or two on the PS5. The same type of output we had for the PS4, but magnified even more.
What a load of rubbish.

You were wrong about Sony not providing exclusive games for PS4's launch, and most of us who aren't attempting to be disingenuous in yet another Sony thread knew that. You don't have greater insight than any of us here, like somehow think you do. In fact you are more often than not, less informed in these threads and I don't know why you do it to yourself. You simply cannot make the claim that there will be no AAA exclusive games by Spring 2020, because all you did there was make that claim up. You know you made it up, and so do we. Another case of wishful thinking on your part. You continually, and I repeat continually make up senseless excuses when you're proven wrong. What do rising development costs have to do with Sony not wanting a system selling exclusive game at launch, when Sony knows exactly what kind of game sells systems?

You didn't mention development costs earlier, so what most of us can deduce from that is that you MADE IT UP as an excuse because you were proven wrong and are now moving the goal posts, yet again. It doesn't matter that you think you won the argument because there's only a single "AAA" exclusive at launch of a console, it's yet another excuse. One game can often be all it takes.

Man, this is just another thread that will be a joy to come back to in a couple of years!

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a load of rubbish.

You were wrong about Sony providing exclusive games for PS4's launch, and most of us who aren't attempting to be disingenuous in yet another Sony thread knew that. You aren't more informed than any of us here, like somehow think you are. You simply cannot make the claim that there will be no AAA exclusive games by Spring 2020, because all you did there was make that claim up. You know you made it up, and so do we. Another case of wishful thinking on your part. You continually, and I repeat continually make up senseless excuses when you're proven wrong. What do rising development costs have to do with Sony not wanting a system selling exclusive game at launch, when Sony knows exactly what kind of game sells systems?

You didn't mention development costs earlier, so what most of us can deduce from that is that you MADE IT UP as an excuse because you were proven wrong and are now moving the goal posts, yet again. It doesn't matter that you think you won the argument because there's only one "AAA" exclusive at launch of a console, it's yet another excuse. One game can often be all it takes.

Man, this is just another thread that will be a joy to come back to in a couple of years!
I'm speculating. Same as any of us. No need to get so upset. You think there will be exclusive AAA games on the ps5 at launch. I don't. We're both speculating and yet you are really upset for some reason. Saying I made this stuff up. Lol. Speculating. You're making up that there will be exclusive AAA games at launch. And that's okay. I'm not upset about your speculation. I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. No need to get upset

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Games (AAA and AA). AAA at least one. Don't want to be to greedy here! Clock is ticking. 2 more years!

Exclusive (no cross-gen) AAA 1st party game? Correct. See, we agree. All good.
1.5 years. Can't stress that enough. And you think knack is AAA (lol). Maybe you'll get a knack 3. Would be hilarious.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1.5 years. Can't stress that enough. And you think knack is AAA (lol). Maybe you'll get a knack 3. Would be hilarious.
2 years. Like November 2020. So.... have I mentioned Knack in my last 3 posts? Reaching much? ;)
Edit.
If it's as good as Knack 2? Sure. I would love it!

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I actually love these calms before the storm.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people that complain about Sony not announcing new games are the same people that complain they have a backlog. Sony put out 131 hours of exclusive content this year. That doesn't count Dragon Quest 11, Red Dead, Ni No Kuni 2, Far Cry 5, Sports games, DLC, anything Indie and anything VR!

R E L A X

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With so many games out there ( and my enormous backlog), I don't mind... sure does help that if they show a new game it's sure to involve guns or some other fire arm of some sort (zero hype for those).

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not really. They need to do something to keep me excited and invested in PlayStation.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or that's exactly what we'll get. Horizon 2, Uncharted 5, Everything like that. Knowledge, and lack of it and all that. lol (doubtful I know, but we know nothing just like you)
I know. I know. Just fun to speculate. We'll know in another 1.5 years. Lol, still some time to change my mind

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I am indifferent but voted no as E3 is a tradition at this point and Playstation missing it for the first time stings a little.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I forgot about Killzone. Let it go. So there was exactly one AAA Sony game at the launch of the PS4. One. I don't even expect that for the PS5. Development costs continue to rise and I don't see how Sony could justify skipping the PS4 entirely for the PS5 at launch.

If the PS5 launches in spring 2020 as I expect it to, there won't be any AAA exclusive games. I could see Sony releasing one in the fall of 2020, and still counting it in their "launch window." By fall 2020 the install base should be large enough to justify a AAA PS5 exclusive from Sony. But cross gen will be the vast majority of AAA games for the first year or two on the PS5. The same type of output we had for the PS4, but magnified even more.

Dev cost are a far less relevant factor for first parties making exclusive games on their new platform.

Sure dev costs have ballooned, however, a new platform will easily clear 3m in its first month and a new PS5 likely 10m in its first year. With it being a new platform there is by definition less games available competing for gamer dollars on the platform. First parties make more per unit sold because there's only the retailer cut to pay, and that now only on perhaps 50 to 60% of copies sold with digital claiming so much of the market for disyributed games.

Gamers will naturally tend to lean more towards first party games anyway because of the prestige factor, and especially Sony who have a prpven track record of delivering excellent first party games. Plus being the only available title to fully exploit the hardware as a next-gen exclusive provides ample marketing benefits alone.

Then there's also the opportunities for additional monetisation with mtxs on titles, which is common these days. These can offset dev costs substantially and if very successful can pay for the costs of developement many times over.

All of the above provide more than enough justification for first parties to develop next-gen exclusives that will suck up sales and grow with the platform throughout the first two years.

If any publishers will double down on new-gen exclusives from the outset it will be Sony (and of course Nintendo). MS can and will launch day and date on PC too because they boast the unique ability to leverage both platforms simultaneously.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dev cost are a far less relevant factor for first parties making exclusive games on their new platform.

Sure dev costs have ballooned, however, a new platform will easily clear 3m in its first month and a new PS5 likely 10m in its first year. With it being a new platform there is by definition less games available competing for gamer dollars on the platform. First parties make more per unit sold because there's only the retailer cut to pay, and that now only on perhaps 50 to 60% of copies sold with digital claiming so much of the market for disyributed games.

Gamers will naturally tend to lean more towards first party games anyway because of the prestige factor, and especially Sony who have a prpven track record of delivering excellent first party games. Plus being the only available title to fully exploit the hardware as a next-gen exclusive provides ample marketing benefits alone.

Then there's also the opportunities for additional monetisation with mtxs on titles, which is common these days. These can offset dev costs substantially and if very successful can pay for the costs of developement many times over.

All of the above provide more than enough justification for first parties to develop next-gen exclusives that will suck up sales and grow with the platform throughout the first two years.

If any publishers will double down on new-gen exclusives from the outset it will be Sony (and of course Nintendo). MS can and will launch day and date on PC too because they boast the unique ability to leverage both platforms simultaneously.
So you're expecting multiple exclusive AAA games at launch on the ps5? Bold strategy! I don't see it happening

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing I would say is Sony probably announced some games too early, like they have a history of doing, but given their next console is on the horizon it makes sense they're more quiet than usual.

I figure my PS4 Pro will get its final use with Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake, and maybe Death Stranding once we get more than teasers or walking trailers. Then I'll be looking to trade-in toward whatever better machine is on the horizon, unless they're dumb, and don't do backwards compatibility...which would be odd given they're using x86 based hardware now.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Silence is only good if there is no on-going crisis and if the end of silence is up to expectations. If PlayStation is going to remain silent until 2020, then the result better be a console of sufficient power to rival the NextBox's X variant, and not a mobile app called PS5.