• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
If Manchin goes he is replaced by a hard R and we lose our majority and Mitch is Leader again.

Definitely the better option.
You seem to be ignoring what I'm writing, so I'll write it again in bold letters this time:

If Biden cannot do what he promised as the president with a Dem majority, then we will lose far more than just WV.

OP
OP
LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Look, we know that wasn't the intent of the thread, so that's definitely not going to happen.
I don't know why people keep making misleading threads about politics. Seems like it's been happening a ton lately

You really don't understand this at all...Dems have a "majority" (with the VP vote), but that assumes 100% of them support everything that they want done which isn't the case. This is like way back when the ACA was first being introduced and the public option had to be dropped. You guys keep assuming every single Dem will vote yes on every Dem proposition and that isn't what happens. People don't keep bringing up Manchin just for fun.

Not to mention a President signs bills. He isn't Congress. He doesn't make them. There is no "make him sign the bill" because he has no control over whether a bill comes to him. Plus he already says he supports it so he isn't even the holdup

If you both want an answer, it really was just my miscomprehension. I should've taken a step back, reread the article again, instead I was swayed to focus on the parts that reinforced the title and my dissatisfaction at how things were from reading it. I really am sorry about that and when I saw people point out what I had missed I did what I could: Reported the thread to have the title changed, and added the proper quote pointing out the actual problem. I'm sorry.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Do everything in their power to make sure Manchin loses? Attack his career, publicly shame him etc. Again, if Biden doesn't make good on his promises because of Manchin we will lose far bigger in 2022 and 2024 than just WV.

They need to make it explicitly clear that the reason why they can't pass policies is because of Manchin.

Biden attacking Manchin would (1) just make Manchin more popular in West Virginia and (2) make it less likely Manchin will work with you to pass anything.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you both want an answer, it really was just my miscomprehension. I should've taken a step back, reread the article again, instead I was swayed to focus on the parts that reinforced the title and my dissatisfaction at how things were from reading it. I really am sorry about that and when I saw people point out what I had missed I did what I could: Reported the thread to have the title changed, and added the proper quote pointing out the actual problem. I'm sorry.
You're fine, this was more 'the straw that broke the camel's back' in my frustration with shitty political topics in OT. You at least came to correct the issue, and now you know (way) more about reconciliation and the parliamentarian than you ever wanted to know before!

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Do everything in their power to make sure Manchin loses? Attack his career, publicly shame him etc. Again, if Biden doesn't make good on his promises because of Manchin we will lose far bigger in 2022 and 2024 than just WV.

They need to make it explicitly clear that the reason why they can't pass policies is because of Manchin.

I mean, either you turn on Manchin, he changes parties, you pass nothing, and you hope voters in NC/FL/PA/WI/OH reward you for delivering no policy but standing up to Joe Manchin by giving you new Senate seats to make up for losing him

or

You keep Manchin on side so you can pass reconciliation bills around stimulus/welfare spending/environmental spending while he kills minimum wage/immigration/voting rights reform/DC statehood and take at least that half of the accomplishments made to voters in those states to try to win the seats to try to implement the remaining objectives.

Neither one is really a great position to be in, but two both gets you more now and seems to deliver better odds for being able to do more later. It just comes with the downside that Joe Manchin gets to get away with being kind of a moron consequence free.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Here's what Biden and every Dem in existence should be saying right now:

We can't let one or two Democrats prevent the $15 minimum wage from being in the relief bill. It's bad politics and bad policy. The American people need a raise and we need to deliver one.

No excuses. 15 min wage is already severely below where it should've been a decade ago. The time for political games and chess matches is over. If there are specific Dems or rules obstructing the immediate passage of increasing the minimum wage (looking at millionaire asshole and regressive Manchin), then air them all out and get the public involved and agitated.

This is how governance should be. But instead POTUS wants to sow FUD about what is already the hollowed out shell of a fucking crumb and weaken Dem positioning before a bill even exists. . Fuck that. Some of you need to demand better from your public servants.

And if min wage isn't included or it gets hacked to pieces thanks to a couple of assholes, then I hope there are multitudes of strikes happening across the country because fuck this
www.theguardian.com

US workers go on strike in 15 cities to demand $15-an-hour minimum wage

The Biden administration is attempting to push through what would be the first increase since 2009 as part of a pandemic relief bill
Workers at fast-food restaurant chains in 15 cities around the US went on strike on Tuesday demanding a raise in their minimum wage to $15 an hour.

The workers at McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's, joined by home care and nursing home workers, took action as the Biden administration is attempting to push through an increase in the federal minimum wage from $7.25, in what would be the first increase in since 2009.

Strikes occurred in Charleston, South Carolina; Chicago; Flint and Detroit, Michigan; Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina; Houston; Miami, Orlando, and Tampa, Florida; St. Louis; Oakland, Sacramento, and San Jose, California; and Milwaukee.

Since 2012, the Fight for $15 movement has organized low-wage workers around the US to push for state and local minimum wage increases and to increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour

Oct 27, 2017
It's all good. It's just like ak1287 said, it's just a bit frustrating having these threads where the first pages are just dominated by misunderstandings

Yeah no

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Turns out, the Democratic Party fucking loves to lose. They love it so much that the only thing they think about is how to betray their constituents and secure that next loss. When they lose in 2022 it'll be 100% because thats what they wanted to happen.

If they actually cared about winning, they'd nuke the Fillibuster, and make DC a state. That would have been the first thing they did in January immediately after the turnover.

Americans deserve a raise. Fuck, they deserve sick days and paid vacation too. They deserve a hell of a lot and Democrats need to get off their ass and provide it.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No excuses, dems control the senate, congress and presidency. Make him sign this bill, he wont veto it

We have to vote out democrats who aren't on the same page. Thats the problem with the democratic party. As a party, they should be a united balance to the republican party. The republicans all agree on being the worst and nazis. No real dissent there that matters. The democratic party has diversity in opinion and agendas, which is a crutch when it comes to politics, as the other side is generally always FUCK YOU DIE!

I don't know what else to do. Its a shame because all of this is just a pause before fascism turns up again in a few years. I know many people are going to be let down by the biden admin, people believed this was THE election to stop what is happening. But failure is going to hurt turnout a ton, especially when folks have nothing to really lose anymore.

they just have to make good on a lot of stuff, and make different wins for what they couldn't do. Keep it positive and keep people invested.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
No excuses, dems control the senate, congress and presidency. Make him sign this bill, he wont veto it
if it gets to his desk he's signing it, that's not in question. He's not the roadblock here. The senate parliamentarian will decide if a wage increase fits within the senate rules for reconciliation. if she agrees it does, it's happening.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So happy the title was updated

No excuses. 15 min wage is already severely below where it should've been a decade ago. The time for political games and chess matches is over. If there are specific Dems or rules obstructing the immediate passage of increasing the minimum wage (looking at millionaire asshole and regressive Manchin), then air them all out and get the public involved and agitated.

This is how governance should be. But instead POTUS wants to sow FUD about what is already the hollowed out shell of a fucking crumb and weaken Dem positioning before a bill even exists. . Fuck that. Some of you need to demand better from your public servants.

And if min wage isn't included or it gets hacked to pieces thanks to a couple of assholes, then I hope there are multitudes of strikes happening across the country because fuck this
www.theguardian.com

The Biden administration is attempting to push through what would be the first increase since 2009 as part of a pandemic relief bill

Yup

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone smarter than me should make an American Civics 101 thread that should be pinned to the top of this forum.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Turns out, the Democratic Party fucking loves to lose. They love it so much that the only thing they think about is how to betray their constituents and secure that next loss. When they lose in 2022 it'll be 100% because thats what they wanted to happen.
Man, posts like these.....

In any event, it is good to hear that Biden supports it and I just add it to the other good that he has said (and done). Hopefully, this will get sorted.

Oct 27, 2017
We have to vote out democrats who aren't on the same page. Thats the problem with the democratic party. As a party, they should be a united balance to the republican party. The republicans all agree on being the worst and nazis. No real dissent there that matters. The democratic party has diversity in opinion and agendas, which is a crutch when it comes to politics, as the other side is generally always FUCK YOU DIE!
The problem is that the Dems holding this up are the same people who would be replaced by Republicans if they lost. You guys are delusional if you think someone left of Manchin would win over a Republican in West Virginia. As someone who grew up in MD I'm well acquainted with the types of people that dominate WV...

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
For all you defending the Dems. We get it, Biden is taking about the reconciliation bill. We're talking about nuking the filibuster so we can get some progress in this country for once. Y'all saying that will never happen with Manchin and Sinema. So what's gonna happen for the next two years? Fuck all?

Jun 13, 2020
For all you defending the Dems. We get it, Biden is taking about the reconciliation bill. We're talking about nuking the filibuster so we can get some progress in this country for once. Y'all saying that will never happen with Manchin and Sinema. So what's gonna happen for the next two years? Fuck all?
How would you solve the problem?

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Yup, good post.

OP
OP
LinkSlayer64

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
You're fine, this was more 'the straw that broke the camel's back' in my frustration with shitty political topics in OT. You at least came to correct the issue, and now you know (way) more about reconciliation and the parliamentarian than you ever wanted to know before!

Thank you both for understanding, but I actually would like to learn more about these topics beyond "they can stop stuff from happening" I don't actually know much about reconciliation, I will see that I do some research when I have more time later. Especially what makes things "reconciliation compliant" as is said in one of the passages

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. I always thought it was a longshot to get it through the federal budget reconciliation process.

After the reconciliation process is done and the stimulus checks are sent out, the Dems better get to work on Voting Rights. And when the Republicans filibuster it, that better be enough for the Dems to nuke or nerf the filibuster.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, either you turn on Manchin, he changes parties, you pass nothing, and you hope voters in NC/FL/PA/WI/OH reward you for delivering no policy but standing up to Joe Manchin by giving you new Senate seats to make up for losing him

or

You keep Manchin on side so you can pass reconciliation bills around stimulus/welfare spending/environmental spending while he kills minimum wage/immigration/voting rights reform/DC statehood and take at least that half of the accomplishments made to voters in those states to try to win the seats to try to implement the remaining objectives.

Neither one is really a great position to be in, but two both gets you more now and seems to deliver better odds for being able to do more later. It just comes with the downside that Joe Manchin gets to get away with being kind of a moron consequence free.
Except the problem is we already tried the second one. We had a majority back in 2009 which resulted in shit like single payer getting tanked because of compromising with the Republicans and conservative Democrats. This resulted in massive losses during the midterm elections and is indirectly part of the reason why our Healthcare system is in such a shit place right now (because the ACA was a compromised-away bandaid fix).

Which means we're on our way to repeating history once again in the 2022 midterm elections where Republicans win majorly because the Dems can't accomplish anything leading to nothing getting done, again.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The problem is that the Dems holding this up are the same people who would be replaced by Republicans if they lost. You guys are delusional if you think someone left of Manchin would win over a Republican in West Virginia. As someone who grew up in MD I'm well acquainted with the types of people that dominate WV...

Could dems grab a bunch of red-senate seats enough to counter-act the republican vote? Probably not right, by the same reasoning. Such a shit situation.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-by trolling and a history of past similar behavior
Not fighting for policies is Biden's MO. Never forget his comment that he would veto a Medicare 4 All bill if it reached his desk.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
This thread isn't about the filibuster, but we haven't had any major non-reconciliaton legislation actually start working it's way through congress yet. After this stimulus bill passes there will be plenty of battles to come to test our moderates darlings limits for obstruction.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
You get Manchin and Sinema on board with nuking the filibuster, there's no other solution. Unless Manchin enjoys being a primadonna I would think that he would like DC and PR statehood passing since there's a good chance that it would yield additional Democrat Senators and then Manchin can vote not present or whatever and this state won't be pissed at him.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
So let me see if I get this right. The campaign promises, the same ones people were like "MOST PROGRESSIVE PRESIDENT EVAR" and the reasonings why Biden was somehow a better choice, actually come with huge asterisks.

You omit details to win, don't cry when people call you out on it.

Jayapal is absolutely correct, and these Democrat contrarian stragglers *need* to be whipped into shape. Or we'll never even get this slow measure.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

Ironically, that would probably go a long way towards helping Manchin get reelected.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Well first of all... Like, if its a whole new topic, it probably should be another thread.

But most people want them to push other issues like VRA and Election reform to combat the 100+ bills the R's have going countrywide to force the issue of the filibuster and get those two on board. As anyone who follows politics will tell you, just because someone doesnt support something today, doesnt mean their minds cannot be changed. Attack voting rights which could help secure 2022 anyway; when you run into roadblocks from Republicans you use that lense and pressure the 2 holdouts on the filibuster.

Then once its gone you go from there. We are less than 60 days into this administration; theres a million paths that can be taken from this point. Writing off the entire term is just stupid at this point. At least give enough time for some, hell ANYTHING to happen. We havent even had enough time to try anything except executive orders at this point.

The schtick is getting old.

Jun 13, 2020
You get Manchin and Sinema on board with nuking the filibuster, there's no other solution. Unless Manchin enjoys being a primadonna I would think that he would like DC and PR statehood passing since there's a good chance that it would yield additional Democrat Senators and then Manchin can vote not present or whatever and this state won't be pissed at him.
And you think Dems are not trying to change Manchin and Sinema's mind? What if they can't? What else do you suggest?

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

By making Manchin's and Sinema's lives a living hell until they sign on. You take away their committee positions, threaten to cut reelection funds. Have Biden and/or Harris hold rallies in their districts and call them out directly for holding things up. In Sinema's case you threaten to primary her. Basically anything short of threatening violence should not be off the table.

Oct 27, 2017

This is nice and all, but isn't this the job of her and other Democratic reps? Why is she saying this as if the responsibility to convince the hold ups is on someone else? We, as the people, aren't the ones against it. Biden doesn't seem to be against it either.

Jun 13, 2020
So let me see if I get this right. The campaign promises, the same ones people were like "MOST PROGRESSIVE PRESIDENT EVAR" and the reasonings why Biden was somehow a better choice, actually come with huge asterisks.

Jayapal is absolutely correct, and these Democrat contrarian stragglers *need* to be whipped into shape. Or we'll never even get this slow measure.
"Somehow" a better choice?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

most progressive president ever was never said about Joseph Cornpop Biden.

Come on.

I will agree that a lot of people voted for Biden, for immediate help. Like the checks. People are still suffering every single day. The more that is delayed, the more sour taste people are going to develop. Then add in the rest of the sort of immediate plans that were promised/highly winked at not really panning out... taking too long / changing form.. Its an unfortunate situation.

Those checks need to go out yesterday.

Edit:

And of course he was a better choice alone, by not being a literal fascists? The hell. I missed that.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Except the problem is we already tried the second one. We had a majority back in 2009 which resulted in shit like single payer getting tanked because of compromising with the Republicans and conservative Democrats. This resulted in massive losses during the midterm elections and is indirectly part of the reason why our Healthcare system is in such a shit place right now (because the ACA was a compromised-away bandaid fix).

Which means we're on our way to repeating history once again in the 2022 midterm elections where Republicans win majorly because the Dems can't accomplish anything leading to nothing getting done, again.

I agree that 2009 was a disaster of failed compromise, and everyone except one or two members really seem to have learned that lesson. But it seems to me the answer to that is pass everything you can when you have the power to do so, which right now means the things Manchin will sign off on. Voters won't reward you for punishing Manchin if it results in passing less right now than you would have otherwise. There's no real choice except to pass the things you can get through reconciliation and hope that that's enough to win you the votes you need in 2022. The lesson of 2009 is don't look to Republicans for anything, yes, but it's also act fast. If your strategy for anything relies on the next election cycle (like trying to punish Manchin electorally) you've already lost. Do as much as you can today, no matter what. There's exactly one path to 50 votes for anything today, so take it, even when it's not ideal, and hope that's enough for winning votes in the next election.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Outdated rules and one or two fucks that don't want to get on board are going to really fuck us for at least the next two years.