• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Courts have actually ruled that this defense is invalid because of the impossibility that you would forget a password you enter several times a day.
I have so many slight variations of my main password I would have problems recalling them.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Courts have actually ruled that this defense is invalid because of the impossibility that you would forget a password you enter several times a day.

EDIT: This comment blew up and everybody has a different snarky gotcha response so a few reminders:

1. I didn't write the law. Arguing with me over whether or not it makes sense won't solve anything. I don't even agree with it

2. The ruling, like most similar rulings, is specifically in regards to your phone PIN code, which a court once ruled is something you enter so frequently that you couldn't possibly forget it. Courts have generally ruled that passwords cannot be turned over to law enforcement if you don't want to give them, although obviously as we've just seen this is a rapidly-evolving area of case law. There is no settled precedent on this

3. Again, as stated above, if you use a password manager or some other form of encryption for your passwords, they will demand that you hand over the master password, encryption key, or whatever you use to access the password(s). And again, whether or not this is a lawful request is obviously up for debate

4. If you are actually in such deep legal shit that you need to desperately prevent the police from accessing your phone or hard drive, stop taking legal advice from people on ResetERA and contact a lawyer, the ACLU, and/or the EFF immediately. None of this is settled case law and you are going to need to fight for it in court
How far up was this decided?

As far as I know, courts are all over the place on this.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The standard, and the balance, so far has been anything in your head is protected by the 5th. Anything physical is not.

So a password would be protected, but a fingerprint or face unlock would not be protected. The former can consist of an idea. The latter IS just a fancy physical key.

Destroying evidence is a crime.

Suppose I bury incriminating documents in a secret location in the Nevada desert. The police can subpoena those documents. My understanding is that I'm now legally required to produce those documents, even though their location is in tucked away in my head. Right?

That, to me, is the best analogy for this sort of situation. With the right due process the government can demand the evidence, and I'm required to comply.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Through unpatched bugs.
These devices are unlike anything the courts have dealt with in history.
Unlike even the most sophisticated safes, these devices can be impossible to get into.
They also pay people to hack them. Police have plenty of techniques to investigate crimes, they don't need to massively erode the rights of citizens to combat crime.