• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
A bit apprehensive of being able to switch whenever, wouldn't mind if, like, a "poor cell connection" in dungeons/gyms meant that you couldn't do so there. On the other hand, now I can let Grookey chill a bit and not feel too guilty since I can still swap them in easily.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
game freak should go all the way in with kanto nostalgia and not let you catch any new pokémon if the PC box you're currently using is full until you manually change it at the pokémon center

Narutomaki

Banned
Oct 29, 2018
It isn't possible to bring Pokemon from the gen 1 and 2 cartridges to the current games unfortunately. You can transfer from the Virtual Console versions on 3DS but I feel like that wouldn't really be in the spirit of your question.
It's possible but not in a legal way. You need a 3DS with a custom firmware, a way to upload the save in your gen 1 or 2 cart to your PC, the with the 3DS there's a way to use that save with the virtual console games, then you trade with an official gen 1 or gen 2 game in another 3ds and finally use Poke Transporter.

EDIT: This made me remember, would be pretty good if they made Pokemon Bank (Not transporter) compatible with Gen 4 and Gen 5 carts. It's a hassle to do all the way from a old gen to the new one. Also, I hate how Gen 5 doesn't let you move a entire box, forcing you to move one by one.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People here told me they'd do Let's Go Johto over normal Sinnoh remakes. But I saw the light.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They said they're not interested because players can make the game harder for themselves if they want. I'd still like one even just to make better use of movesets and items in enemy teams, but still.
Yeah, but it's hard to make it harder when we are losing options.
But oh well.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
They keep making it really hard, because I want to be excited for this game, and I mostly am! But things like the Exp. Share comment and their reasoning for it is kind of putting a damper on things every time I think about it.

Like, training Pokemon by turning the Exp Share on and off would give the same exact effect for less work than switching Pokemon in and out of the PC.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't know why everyone is so upset about Exp. Share unless you love grinding or having an unbalanced team, which are two things I hate.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
You can be underleveled by skipping fights, if that's what you want.
You could also be underleveled in X and Y or ORAS by having the Exp Share off. I don't want to skip fights, which are the main point of playing Pokemon, I want to be able to play the game the way I've been able to before. I don't want to grind, I just want to be underleveled or on par with most trainers I face.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
You could also be underleveled in X and Y or ORAS by having the Exp Share off. I don't want to skip fights, which are the main point of playing Pokemon, I want to be able to play the game the way I've been able to before. I don't want to grind, I just want to be underleveled or on par with most trainers I face.

at first glance I saw and scoffed at your post.
but then it got me thinking, what stops a "challenge mode" where the trainers are always a few levels higher than your party average? As opposed to being predetermined? I know the answer is GameFreak laziness

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
at first glance I saw and scoffed at your post.
but then it got me thinking, what stops a "challenge mode" where the trainers are always a few levels higher than your party average? As opposed to being predetermined? I know the answer is GameFreak laziness
Lazy devs rhetoric are a bannable offense, and that's ignoring how just raising levels wouldn't really make the game more challenging

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A challenge mode doesn't mean anything in isolation- USUM is substantially harder than BW2's hard mode.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
We don't even know how hard SwSh is. Maybe because of the Exp. Share changes the game is now more challenging. We don't know.

Robbin__

May 26, 2018
Speaking of which could it be possible that exp share is forced because of the trainer fights are curved in such a way that you'd be underleveled if you don't have exp share?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
We don't even know how hard SwSh is. Maybe because of the Exp. Share changes the game is now more challenging. We don't know.
Even if it is challenging, the developers would lose nothing from allowing people to turn the Exp Share on and off. Having the Exp Share off would still just be a hard mode, regardless of how difficult the game is with it on.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Speaking of which could it be possible that exp share is forced because of the trainer fights are curved in such a way that you'd be underleveled if you don't have exp share?

I'm 100% sure this is the case. This is the first game they've designed with obligatory Exp. Share, so they must have designed the game around it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
When you're in the Wild Area, do you have to set your game to a certain status so players can interact with you?
Ohmori:
So how it works is there's this feature called the Y-Comm, and you can activate that to broadcast your status or what you want to do, like, "I want to trade," "I want to battle," or whatever, and then that gets broadcasted out to anyone you've been matched up with in the back end. They'll see that, and if they want to reply or if they're also saying they want to battle, it'll match you together and then it goes into a synchronous connection.
One of the cool things you can do now is – in previous games, we had Wonder Trade where you could throw out a Pokémon and it would find someone to trade with and the trade would happen and it would save the game. It was a very active process. We've kind of improved that. So now, [with Surprise Trades], you can choose a Pokémon for trading, and then it'll happen in the background, so while you're just adventuring, it'll find someone to trade with and after some times progresses, you'll suddenly see that your Pokémon was traded for something else. We found a way to make it happen more seamlessly without having to save and actively do it one at a time.

Masuda: And it's also not just exclusive to the Wild Area. I know we're just talking about the Wild Area right now, but this is probably going to be one of the more popular features that players engage with in the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it means visible players can be seen outside the wild area too or they were just referring to the Y comm invites

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people can roam a single instance of the Wild Area at once. will they put 32 people in an area, or will it just slightly larger than 4

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
While we do know it exists throughout the game it does sounds like Y-Comm will be vital to whatever the post league will be. Player Engagement for multiplayer is always after the league, so its gonna be fun to see what they have in store for it. Of course its going to he vital the the main story considering the Wild Area, but the post game is gonna be a mix of raids, battle events and whatever else entails.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people can roam a single instance of the Wild Area at once. will they put 32 people in an area, or will it just slightly larger than 4
It's weird, we know the limit for friends is 3 but if it were the same for randoms you might end up never seeing anyone considering how big the area is

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Raids :

[Planning director] Kazumasa Iwao brought up that Max Raid Battles have a difficulty as high as or above anything we've seen in the mainline series to this point. Are there any other parts in Sword and Shield that you think will be difficult for players?
Ohmori:
With Max Raid Battles, we have the star ranking system and I think what he's talking about was when you go to five stars – the highest-ranked ones – they are quite difficult. I've tried to play them on my own and lost many times. When you get to the highest stuff, you need really good team coordination to defeat them. I can't really go into details, but I can say that there's other content for players to engage with over the long term and more deeply after you finish the main story.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
6sBSECv.png

When I read this, this just feels that they develop with a handheld experience in mind, specifically battles. Would explain them choosing to have improperly scaled Pokemon in battles for certain Pokemon.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
6sBSECv.png

When I read this, this just feels that they develop with a handheld experience in mind, specifically battles. Would explain them choosing to have improperly scaled Pokemon in battles for certain Pokemon.
At the end of the day the game will have to be played on the lite too, so they're still not free from screen size limitations completely

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
6sBSECv.png

This is literally what everyone who knows what they're talking about has been saying since "the first Pokémon on home consoles" was announced. Why are people so shocked that the handheld game series is only on the Switch because there is no dedicated handheld console?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
6sBSECv.png

I mean this isn't shocking. They said last year that Let's Go was more a home experience while SWSH will be predominantly portable

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
So I have found the following tweet of Pokexperto where they claim that in an interview Game Freak said that Sirfetch'd is not based on the design of the beta version of Gold/Silver. Somehow I really doubt that they have said something like that because that would indirectly confirm the legitimacy of the Spaceworld '97 demo.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to interject that a finely tuned difficulty curve (which to be fair is HARD to get right) by developers who know what they are doing will provide an experience that always beat out players going out of their way to make a game more of a challenge by refusing to use options, skipping fights/items/etc. It seems the new Pokemon games will again be relying a lot on the later which is a bit of a bummer (though I suppose we won't know 100% for sure till release).

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So I have found the following tweet of Pokexperto where they claim that in an interview Game Freak said that Sirfetch'd is not based on the design of the beta version of Gold/Silver. Somehow I really doubt that they have said something like that because that would indirectly confirm the legitimacy of the Spaceworld '97 demo.

qPq96DP.png

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
6sBSECv.png

What I get from this is that they likely wanted a slightly powerful 3DS successor and developed SM initially with that in mind before deciding to scale back and put it on the 3DS. There really is something itching at me how Stars was so heavily rumored and how Gen 7 felt so abrupt in its existence.