• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
EJHLcw7XkAItKwh

now I'm ready for Friday :D

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the safest way to get a copy on Thursday is getting it through the Australian eshop, as it gets the game at 15:00 CET.
Japan works too and I heard New Zealand as well.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm finishing up the FAQ section. Am I missing something?

1.Do I need NSO to trade online/make use of the online features?
2.Can I trade Pkm form my 3DS games or LGPE to SwSh?
3.How big is the Galar pokedex? (Answer under spoiler tags)
4. Which pkm were cut in these games? (Link to a pasebin)
5.What's the number of new pokémon? (answer under spoiler tags
6.Can you soft reset for a shiny starter?

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas

By the way re 3
after the datamine the dex is more like 435 rather than 400

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
never played Pokemon before. Pre ordered yesterday Sword version? Any tip for a first travel?

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I completely missed the train of impressions on X/Y, I played them close to the time but I wasn't reading anything about them online. Can anyone give a short overview of why people didn't like them? I loved them, it was the first Pokemon game where I bought both copies because I loved it so much.

Basically, people felt that they didn't offer much more than a general simplified easy playthrough. To go in a bit more detail, the routes in XY were considered pretty linear, even more so than previous games and while the Looker quest was pretty decently received, the post-game content and areas were considered to be lacking.

Sky Battles were introduced and many didn't find them that much different than a regular battle, but they are still part of the reason for the models of many flying Pokémon. While Mega-Evolutions were introduced in Gen 6, only one Gen 6 Pokémon got a Mega and it wasn't until ORAS and it was a Mythical Pokémon, meaning very few would use it. XY is also considered to be the start of Kanto pandering; your first encounter will be a Pidgey no matter what, the Santalune Forest is very similar to the Viridian Forest, before ORAS most of the Megas were of Kanto Pokémon, and you receive the Kanto starters really early in the game and since they can Mega-Evolve but the Kalos starters can't, some people felt that it cheapens the Kalos starters. Besides that, Gen 6 only has three Legendaries (Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde), the only other Legendaries to catch are the Kanto Legendary Birds and Mewtwo, the rest are Mythicals. The lack of Legendaries to catch could also contribute to the feelings about the post-game, but for some the ones that could be caught only having implied lore (the box duo) and a not very interesting area to find them (Mewtwo), could've made people feel that Kalos lacked identity.

In terms of story, some people just found the characters unappealing and that the game doesn't really give them much that makes them interesting. The friend characters are brought up a lot, but there's also the professor's two assistants (who had super hero-like personas, that I'm sure people forget), the Gym Leaders being seen as a step down from Gen 5 in terms of story involvement, Team Flare with their goals being a little too vague in the beginning (and probably too many scientist characters since Xerosic is the only one that most people care about, the roles of the other four probably could've been accomplished with just one or two of them), and Diantha, a Champion that only appears a few times before you battle her (they probably intended for her being the Champion to come across as a surprise, but in my opinion, the surprise is more of an "Oh, it's you" moment because of her lack of appearances and overall details of her character besides the fact that she's famous and good at battles). AZ's involvement is pretty much a lore dump that might've been more appreciated a bit earlier in the game, but the character himself doesn't get too much flack since people seem to genuinely like the ending scene with his Eternal Floette (I honestly think AZ would have made a better surprise Champion because your battle with him was a symbolic one).

They are perfectly fun games despite this, but it is general consensus that a decent amount of Kalos felt unfinished and could have really used a third version.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
never played Pokemon before. Pre ordered yesterday Sword version? Any tip for a first travel?

Just have fun. Don't worry too much about anything, the games are easy and accessible for new players until you want to dive into online play. The games will explain everything you need to know, and you can find anything else online.

EDIT: My goodness, I just took a little peek inside the leaks thread and it's an absolute shitstorm. People are getting VERY upset. And here I am, mostly not caring about all that "bad stuff". Lucky me, I guess?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Version exclusive stuff maybe.
But that probably wont be revealed/confirmed till later when people had more time with the games.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
EDIT: My goodness, I just took a little peek inside the leaks thread and it's an absolute shitstorm. People are getting VERY upset. And here I am, mostly not caring about all that "bad stuff". Lucky me, I guess?

Yeah its bad, I went in to see stats for some Pokemon and its just people getting mad about TR's lol.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
yep. people need to realize that not everyone hated the 3DS era.

X/Y are hella flawed games. Too easy. Dumb story. Too linear. No post game. Despite all of that they are still solid games that most people had a good time with (for me a lot of it was the novelty of 3d pokemon and a nice variety of pokemon despite the lower count of new ones).

Sun/Moon are a step up from X/Y IMO but also have flaws. Too many cutscenes. Pokemon distribution sucked ass. Handholding as fuck. Still rather linear. BUT they were harder. Had an actual story (let down by the "final boss" but still). And added regional forms, something that will be awesome to look forward to going forward.

You see there is more to criticism than "THIS THING SUCKS ASS FUCKING GAME FREAK KILLED MAH DAWG". And just because things can be improved or done differently doesn't invalidate the entire product. I get it. You want to make sure your money is well spent and as close to perfection is the best way for that. Thats cool. But that doesn't mean everyone has to be on your train of sorrow either tho.

You have no idea how much i agree with this haha. Especially the part about "Game Freak killed my dog" is just so true that it hurts. Everything is being blown out of portion and treated as the worst thing in the existence of videogames. There is not a single Pokémon game I have ever dropped or hated. Even my least liked Pokémon game (X/Y) was still fun enough to provide at least 20 hours of entertainment without feeling burned out afterwards. Pokémon games are chill games for me and I don't need the most compelling story because I mash through the textboxes anyways. Give me my starter, a new region, new Pokémon and I am a happy person.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I made the mistake of looking at the leak thread just to see what people were thinking of the games and now I regret it because I feel like my expectations are gonna be colored by all the negativity I saw about a certain aspect of the game. :(

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): hostility toward other members
Looking at the leak thread is on the same level as looking on r/vp/ trying to find reasonable opinions.

I wouldn't recommend.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been further impressions from actual reviewers beyond that initial wave we got a few weeks back for the first 1.5 hours or so? I have a feeling my views will align much more with reviewers than die-hard Pokemon enthusiasts.

I'm more worried about the experience playing the main story than anything post-game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been further impressions from actual reviewers beyond that initial wave we got a few weeks back for the first 1.5 hours or so? I have a feeling my views will align much more with reviewers than die-hard Pokemon enthusiasts.
Reviews are in 19 hours so we'll have plenty of impressions pretty soon

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, good to know!

I'm expecting low-80s, a mix of reviewers enjoying the game but sympathizing with the enthusiast player base about Dex issues, post-game content, etc.
I am not sure but I think that Galar's regional dex will be one of the best. I am not expecting them to touch too much the National Dex given that it has 0 impact on the game at launch.

Around 85 is my guess. Probably one or two points higher.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
yep. people need to realize that not everyone hated the 3DS era.

X/Y are hella flawed games. Too easy. Dumb story. Too linear. No post game. Despite all of that they are still solid games that most people had a good time with (for me a lot of it was the novelty of 3d pokemon and a nice variety of pokemon despite the lower count of new ones).

Sun/Moon are a step up from X/Y IMO but also have flaws. Too many cutscenes. Pokemon distribution sucked ass. Handholding as fuck. Still rather linear. BUT they were harder. Had an actual story (let down by the "final boss" but still). And added regional forms, something that will be awesome to look forward to going forward.

You see there is more to criticism than "THIS THING SUCKS ASS FUCKING GAME FREAK KILLED MAH DAWG". And just because things can be improved or done differently doesn't invalidate the entire product. I get it. You want to make sure your money is well spent and as close to perfection is the best way for that. Thats cool. But that doesn't mean everyone has to be on your train of sorrow either tho.

Perfectly fine description of my feelings towards the 3DS Era.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm excited for the game but some design choices are very weird man.

As I've said several times both in this and the other thread, most of these "design choices" are more likely due to the fact that they didn't have time to make it any other way.

Making games is hard. Making HD games is even harder. It sucks that we don't get our perfect, flawless game, but claiming that most of these "design choices" are intentional is pretty naive.

EDIT: And I'm done discussing spoiler-related stuff here. We have a full thread for that, even if it's filled with people foaming at the mouth over the tiniest things.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
alright well, this thread served its purpose. i'ma just avoid any pokemon threads until release. see y'all in the OT.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
As I've said several times both in this and the other thread, most of these "design choices" are more likely due to the fact that they didn't have time to make it any other way.

Making games is hard. Making HD games is even harder. It sucks that we don't get our perfect, flawless game, but claiming that most of these "design choices" are intentional is pretty naive.

EDIT: And I'm done discussing spoiler-related stuff here. We have a full thread for that, even if it's filled with people foaming at the mouth over the tiniest things.

It must be, I hope they patch this tho.

At least here you "can discuss" some things without all of the hate of the leak thread. But yeah, sorry for bothering people that dont want spoilers.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
A lot of weird cuts but yeah I never go into the review threads, I always just see people complaining about them. Ill probably still pick up the game.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i don't really care about pokémon reviews, I already know I'm getting the game, soooo

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Banned (1 day): drive-by trolling
These games are an embarrassment

Y'all are in for a rude awakening lmao