• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
some people invested a lot of time into defending gamefreak to the point that it became part of their identity. now that we know 2/3rds are cut and there's not really a defense for it, they have to switch to "who cares, stop complaining" because they are physically unable to admit they were wrong the whole time.
Yep. The defence of game freak and the dex being cut was just as "toxic" as those opposed to it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
  • More then half the Pokemon got cut.
  • The above will make the exploration-based wild area much less rewarding to explore.
  • Nearly all the legends and starters are gone except Charizard because of course.
  • No post game
  • Barely any gameplay features shown off.

This is so depressing. No excuse for any of this.

The thing that doesn't make sense is...why cut the roster all the way down to 400? Their argument was that it was all becoming too much work to include 900+ Pokemon in the game. Fine. Ok. Why not 600-700, like we had in X/Y and Sun/Moon? Why this insane cut of almost 2/3 of the roster down to 400?

It's infuriating.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
"I'm giving up on the Pokémon community because people don't like GF cutting over 50% of the Pokémon" is embarrassing as fuck.

there's more people in this thread complaining about complainers than actual complainers.
The people who should be embarrassed are the ones acting like their life is ruined because a goddamn pokemon got cut.

I dont necessarily agree with the decision but the level of anger, whining and crying is goddamn pathetic.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
"I'm giving up on the Pokémon community because I don't find it a pleasant thing to be a part of any more" is a completely valid thing to think- who on Earth are you to tell someone otherwise?
They can do what they want and I can think what I want. There's been far worse in the Pokémon fandom that a just complaint about the dex getting cut in half.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
To me, Pokémon is and has always been about collecting creatures and completing the Dex. I actually don't really enjoy the battling aspect much, but I put up with it to get to the collecting and shiny hunting (which is why I really liked Let's Go and love Go). I wanted to see all of my past favorites meet new Pokémon in HD and see that Shiny Greninja I worked so hard to get make the transition, but now I can't. I hope Home is more than just a box but it's Game Freak so my expectations literally could not be any lower.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The people who should be embarrassed are the ones acting like their life is ruined because a goddamn pokemon got cut.

I dont necessarily agree with the decision but the level of anger, whining and crying is goddamn pathetic.
Yep, just as "toxic" as those driving you away from the community.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I can stand by and let people complain about the dex, because it's completely fair, but we barely know about the game itself.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
some people invested a lot of time into defending gamefreak to the point that it became part of their identity. now that we know 2/3rds are cut and there's not really a defense for it, they have to switch to "who cares, stop complaining" because they are physically unable to admit they were wrong the whole time.
You see this is what people mean by toxic. People can't be fine with this or clearly they are just blind defenders.

Also I certainly wasn't wrong. I expected the dex to be between 400-500 pokemon when we did that poll, so my expectations were met completely.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You see this is what people mean by toxic. People can't be fine with this or clearly they are just blind defenders.

Also I certainly wasn't wrong. I expected the dex to be between 400-500 pokemon when we did that poll, so my expectations were met completely.
Yup. This is what I expected all along too but it's funny how many people have moved from "we haven't seen the game" to "we don't know how many are cut" to "well there are probably lots of new ones" to now just "well I like it, don't be a baby"

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
1. If there was, I think the leaker would have shown it off by now.
2. What, the curry minigame and camping?
1. Wild Area/Raids
2. Gigantamaxing/Dynamaxing
3. Camping/curry
4. Pokejob minigame
5. Roaming Pokemon

I even combined some mechanics that could count as their own entry. I think that's all there is to Sword and Shield, mate. What else do you want Gamefreak to show?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on any feature or area that allows Pokemon to follow you or you to ride a Pokemon?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Don't we have like 2 or 3 threads about the whole Pokédex situation or why does this thread have to be derailed with the same pointless discussions again?

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Jesus people are throwing around the word toxic as if it means anything. People are mad at the cut and Gamefreak, while others are less upsets about it. Let people have their own opinions either way.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
have to be honest, I don't really understand the people who just want to go through these games with the same teams they've been using for years over and over again. Discovering, collecting, and using new pokemon is most of the appeal to me.

That is the appeal to me too. However, a big part of why I invest so much time in collecting the Pokémon I've collected is under the assumption it was a permanent collection I could always grow. Over just the course of Gen VI and VII, I've bred and trained over 200 Pokémon which I use in post-game facilities and in multiplayer. That's time that's just lost now.

Imagine my frustration that I bred multiple Alolan Forms, trained them, and raised them to level 100 under the assumption they would be harder to collect in the future. Little did I know that all those Marowak and Muk I bred with different movesets and EV spreads would become useless to me the ensuing generation. :/

I cleared the Battle Tree with Tapu Lele, Hydreigon, and Mega Lucario, which formed a perfect coverage core. My whole team revolved around Tapu Lele, but I was able to experiment and utilize Pokémon I invested a ton of time in to training previously. This was possible because my collection carried forward. I was able to enjoy and experience new content in a fulfilling way specifically because my existing Pokémon were available to me.

People play Pokémon to different extents but the people who've invested the most also lose the most.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
I figure this is a long shot, but does anyone know what level Braviary is available to catch at in Sword? I was hoping that he might show up in the Wild Area at around level 25 like in White 2, rather than in the late 50s.

At least from these leaks, we don't have this type of info for -any- Pokemon yet. likely won't until an eventual datamine.

Have they confirmed a way to get the fossils like they're meant to be, without the silly 'fusions'?

Nope, and considering we have the full dex leaked, it's pretty safe to assume there isn't a way, at least not in these games.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They can do what they want and I can think what I want. There's been far worse in the Pokémon fandom that a just complaint about the dex getting cut in half.
I'm not walking away, but absolutely nothing in my fifteen years of engaging with this fandom has been a fraction as unpleasant, contentious and grinding as the last five months.

I'm not even saying it's unjustified, but it absolutely has not been fun, and that's a bit of a problem when that's the only reason I ever take part in these discussions.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not walking away, but absolutely nothing in my fifteen years of engaging with this fandom has been a fraction as unpleasant, contentious and grinding as the last five months.

I'm not even saying it's unjustified, but it absolutely has not been fun, and that's a bit of a problem when that's the only reason I ever take part in these discussions.
This is my opinion also, said in a much calmer way than I could.

Feb 5, 2018

Its not JUST about numbers though.

- no returning legendaries save for Mew
- no returning starters save for Charmander lol
- no elite 4
- no decent post-game, no additional legendaries to catch.
- cut Mega's which removes viable usage of like 15 pokemon (but I guess most were cut so whatever)

Dont get me wrong, this is actually my favorite Gen design-wise, but it doesnt excuse the BS shill tactics GF STILL employs:

- Cut 60% of the roster and Mega's when X/Y converted 593 pokemon from 2D to 3D all with animations and an additional 100 pokemon including Mega's
- Releases 2 versions of a game that are BARELY different from one another, when something like Three Houses gives you FOUR different campaigns and a lot more replayability.
- Releases a remake/updated version that clearly keeps content out on purpose to sell a 3rd (or in Sun/Moon's case, a 3rd and 4th) version of a mostly similar game. The only one that gets a pass IMO was Black/White sequels, because they were actually sequels.

Monster Hunter is a franchise that only got extremely popular with World, and they entirely stopped doing the shill tactic rereleases GF still employs. They released Iceborne as DLC and even lowered the price of World overall.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think people saying this is a small Dex aren't factoring in that it perhaps has the most Pokemon available in the main scenario which is nice.

I mean yeah 400 sucks for a National Dex but this is a good selection.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
81 pokemon with just 3 legendaries… that's awesome. Not like gen 4/7 where a quarter of the dex is legends.

yeah the more I think about it, it does seem like we actually got a lot of mons this gen since they're all (for the part) normally encounterable on routes during a playthrough. As long as they're distributed throughout the region fine and we're mostly encountering new stuff, I like it.

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Wild Area
2. Gigantamaxing/Dynamaxing
3. Camping/curry
4. Pokejob minigame
5. Roaming Pokemon

I think that's all there is to Sword and Shield, mate. What else do you want Gamefreak to show?

1 and 2 are good additions, so I'll concede there.
3 and 4 are reskined poffins/pokemon amie/pokepelago. Still better then cutting them out completely I suppose.
5 is part of 1 isn't it?

Compare this to gen 3/4 (contests/pokeathlon + battle frontier), gen 5 (join avenue + pokestar studios + pokemon world tournament + Black Tower/White Treehollow + dream world).

I don't think any of the gameplay features we've seen so far will have the depth or longevity the above did, with the wild area being the only possible exception.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
There has been an ordeal in the Pokémon fandom that's bred just as much bitterness and toxicity as this, and it was the VA choice back during the middle of Advanced Generation.

It was as overblown and embarrassing as this has been. And still is, in some places.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah I think people saying this is a small Dex aren't factoring in that it perhaps has the most Pokemon available in the main scenario which is nice.

I mean yeah 400 sucks for a National Dex but this is a good selection.

I really don't have a problem with the regional dex as it stands. It's a really good regional dex, especially since the 3D era.

I would be singing its praises much more vocally were it not for the disappointment that this is all we get. The main game will be a lot of fun.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sun/Rain seems to have gotten nerfed this gen just by there only being Ninetales with Drought and I don't think any Drizzle Pokemon

Not quite.

1. Torkoal and Pelipper got Drought and Drizzle in Gen 7, both are in this game.
2. With Dynamax, any pokemon can now set up Sun or Rain using the Max Fire and Water moves respectively.

Then add to that one of the new mons might Drought or Drizzle as well.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people keep bringing up the Elite Four not being in like it was cut for no reason or as a time saving measure? They're just trying something different, you'll still battle strong trainers at the end of the game, it just won't be four random unseen characters. It's like Trails replacing Gyms, it's just something they're trying for a generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.