• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I hope the Gen 4 remakes includes every Pokemon. Take all the time they need. It's clear fans really don't like removal of Pokemon.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original main defence was "Now that they're free of all the Pokemon they can put work into other things, just wait and see". Detractors including myself were very skeptical that this would be the case, and have been proven right. This whole saga has played out very predictably and so the constant "well maybe"s get really old really fast.

There's also how there's no information of the service that will basically have your pokemon from here on out locked. If they explained or even created a cool Home game (like a showdown thing or something), they could have really reduced the backlash a lot. Now we don't know anything about the service...

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
The first "console" Pokémon game was supposed to be a triumph for the series but instead it's a half-baked uprezzed 3DS game that doesn't even include half of the Pokédex.

9b95b2b.jpg
You got this off Reddit, huh?
It's stupid to use this pic when all you have to do is throw circumstance and understanding out the window.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Reminder of who some of these #dexit are like

Oh, for goodness sake...Yes, there are idiots protesting the Dex cut. If we're going to use the fact that a few idiots aren't happy with the Dex cut as a means to silence perfectly valid criticism against the declining quality of the franchise, then we might as well all admit that Sonic 06 or Fallout 76 is a 10/10 masterpiece, because I'm pretty sure that game has its fair share of idiotic critics.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm very curious as to why people think game freak cut pokemon

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The original main defence was "Now that they're free of all the Pokemon they can put work into other things, just wait and see". Detractors including myself were very skeptical that this would be the case, and have been proven right. This whole saga has played out very predictably and so the constant "well maybe"s get really old really fast.

I swear to god that I hear a new thing being put forth that was supposed to be GF's main defense every other day at this point.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think everybody is taking a big jump into conclusions by thinking for sure that the event was canceled because of Dexit backlash. There's no evidence for that besides pure speculation, and it's obvious that the article would try to paint it like that because it's the most interesting story.

The call off was probably due to (boring) operational reasons like the official statement says, and here we are again at each other's necks because of literally nothing.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
We don't even know if this is the fandoms fault but ok clearly everyone who complains about Sword and Shield is part of a hive mind that agrees with everything the others have done.
Oh I know there are perfectly reasonable people who don't like what Sword and Shield did.

It just doesn't make the overall response any less embarrassing.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way to could adopt and make a truly ground breaking new game in the time they are usually given

They need to be given the freedom other devs have been afforded to make their leaps in their respective series in this generation shift

Not sure Game Freak will allow that to happen
Or just get Morimoto to direct 💪

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Bear in mind I'm not a regular pokemon player but is this a case of the game having larger scope (bigger more complex 3D world) and same development time? Also, if they add pokemon with every game, surely something has to give at some point? It's not sustainable. In an isolated system, entropy will always increase etc.
So this sentiment has popped up a few times and I think people would be more sympathetic if GF didnt contradict themselves. Pokemon LGPE came out last year with all 151 pokemon with hi res textures. Yet only around
gen 1 pokemon are actually in sword and shield.
It'd be one thing if they said that they weren't able to get the pokemon in this game but would carry their progress forward until an engine swap or other large changes.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Gen 4 remakes includes every Pokemon. Take all the time they need. It's clear fans really don't like removal of Pokemon.
The only way this would ever happen is if Sword and Shield show a significant downturn in sales, which probably won't happen.

Game Freak really doesn't seem interested in fan feedback. For better or worse, they do what they feel is best.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think everybody is taking a big into conclusions by thinking for sure that the event was canceled because of Dexit backlash. There's no evidence for that besides pure speculation, and it's obvious that the article would try to paint it like that because it's the most interesting story.

The call off was probably due to (boring) operational reasons like the official statement says, and here we are again at each other's necks because of literally nothing.

It's nevertheless a great thread for posting memes from Reddit complete with a hyperbolic hot take!

Thanks Eurogamer! /s.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god that I hear a new thing being put forth that was supposed to be GF's main defense every other day at this point.
Yup. I've seen so many "why don't people get this? Game Freak made it clear that the reason for the cuts is" and every time the end of the sentence is different. Nobody can agree other than "they just wanted to".

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I still have yet to hear an actual good reason for half of the Pokédex to be missing.

I would say his initial reasoning was the most honest followed by mountains of bad ones

Either way they don't need a reason to want to drop the anchor. If I was a dev... at some point I would want to start fresh and not make 800+ pokemon for the Nth time

The fact you cannot FATHOM a reason on your own is telling

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole thing is just a low level gamergate situation with people believing their fighting for a good cause while not really looking at certain people using the group for underhanded means.

This doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. Everyone on these threads actually condemns the harassment and toxic behavior of some bad apples, so your point about "looking away" it's just false from the get go.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole thing is just a low level gamergate situation with people believing their fighting for a good cause while not really looking at certain people using the group for underhanded means.
Really? We're really doing this now? What do you want from us exactly?

Do we need to add a disclaimer to every post criticizing GF that we don't condone the harassment of developers? Again any group is going to have idiots amongst them. What's the point of pointing this out other then to try and discredit anyone who complains about the company? We have just as much control of these people as you do.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Oh, for goodness sake...Yes, there are idiots protesting the Dex cut. If we're going to use the fact that a few idiots aren't happy with the Dex cut as a means to silence perfectly valid criticism against the declining quality of the franchise, then we might as well all admit that Sonic 06 or Fallout 76 is a 10/10 masterpiece, because I'm pretty sure that game has its fair share of idiotic critics.
They didnt say anything about silencing anybody ?
Not the poster nor the tweet itself(which i think is a bot that reposts tagged tweets ?)

I'll take your word for it but experience from previous threads these types of post are often framed as "well it doesn't bother me so why are you upset."
The thing up is what i meant.
Poster didnt say anything about people not being allowed to complain, they didnt say anything about complaining at all.
But even just pointing out that bad people in the dexit movement exist is being takes as "silencing".

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
So this sentiment has popped up a few times and I think people would be more sympathetic if GF didnt contradict themselves. Pokemon LGPE came out last year with all 151 pokemon with hi res textures. Yet only around
gen 1 pokemon are actually in sword and shield.
It'd be one thing if they said that they weren't able to get the pokemon in this game but would carry their progress forward until an engine swap or other large changes.
If all of the Gen 1 Pokemon had come back, people would complain even more.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I've seen so many "why don't people get this? Game Freak made it clear that the reason for the cuts is" and every time the end of the sentence is different. Nobody can agree other than "they just wanted to".

That should be reason enough

Doesn't mean you have to agree and clearly the critics aren't having it

I personally don't take issue with it as long as it frees them up to do something new but even that feels dubious.

I certainly don't care much for some of the new things being done in Sword/Shield but then again I dont hate the entire package either

I not looking to push down on proper criticism, I'm reminding us where there problems in the community they is making the whole nationaldex fight worse.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thats interesting.

Was told awhile back that Dexit was a non thing in Japan.

If thats true though, don't know what else it could be.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say his initial reasoning was the most honest followed by mountains of bad ones

Either way they don't need a reason to want to drop the anchor. If I was a dev... at some point I would want to start fresh and not make 800+ pokemon for the Nth time

The fact you cannot FATHOM a reason on your own is telling
Throwing out 20 years of precedent, somehow not including all of Gen 1 despite the Let's Go games, and still making a par for the course unremarkable game reeks of poor management and a rushed development.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I meant that early one that's what I saw coming from the defenders in the community. GF's actual message has been all over the place and that's most of the reason they haven't been able to contain the backlash. I personally probably wouldn't be holding it against them if they actually just explained what happened during this game's development that caused it to turn out the way it did instead of giving answers that are largely indistinguishable from blatant lies.

But this isn't what this thread is about really.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people would just not buy the game and move on with their lives. I get that we're on a video game forum, but there's a point when the toxicity reaches to extreme levels and people should just call it in.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing out 20 years of precedent, somehow not including all of Gen 1 despite the Let's Go games, and still making a par for the course unremarkable game reeks of poor management and a rushed development.

Bingo

However I suspect we will fundamentally disagree on where they should go for the next game but maybe not?

I dont hate everything Sword and Shield has to offer but man is it underwhelming compared to what other comtemporary franchises are doing with regards to updating their formula

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I meant that early one that's what I saw coming from the defenders in the community. GF's actual message has been all over the place and that's most of the reason they haven't been able to contain the backlash. I personally probably wouldn't be holding it against them if they actually just explained what happened during this game's development that caused it to turn out the way it did instead of giving answers that are largely indistinguishable from blatant lies.

But this isn't what this thread is about really.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you about your comments on GF's position. But I apologize, you were talking about the fandom in your original post and I didn't see that.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Bear in mind I'm not a regular pokemon player but is this a case of the game having larger scope (bigger more complex 3D world) and same development time? Also, if they add pokemon with every game, surely something has to give at some point? It's not sustainable. In an isolated system, entropy will always increase etc.
Not exactly. The Pokemon that did return seem to be using the same models as Sun and Moon and there's been more cut features than added ones (Elite Four, post-game areas, GTS, triple/rotation battles). There are also some new additions but they seem to largely be lateral moves (e.g. Mega Evolutions -> Gigantamaxing).

One of the selling points of the game is a big open "Wild Area" in the middle of the map you can visit to look for Pokemon which isn't by itself a bad idea, but I think people are frustrated since if you gave the option of cutting 60% of the old pokemon and a bunch of vital features for it, few would likely take you up on it.

That's how I feel at least.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
As someone looking at it more from the outside but was curious to play the first Pokemon since Red and Blue:

Why are GF not reigned in by Nintendo? Surely they should be aware of the shitshow right now?

Really? We're really doing this now? What do you want from us exactly?

Do we need to add a disclaimer to every post criticizing GF that we don't condone the harassment of developers? Again any group is going to have idiots amongst them. What's the point of pointing this out other then to try and discredit anyone who complains about the company? We have just as much control of these people as you do.
Too many times communities ignore these problematic areas and never actually push them out.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No way to could adopt and make a truly ground breaking new game in the time they are usually given

They need to be given the freedom other devs have been afforded to make their leaps in their respective series in this generation shift

Not sure Game Freak will allow that to happen
I think it's more that TPCi won't let that happen with the anime, TCG, and extensive push of merch relying on these games to generate new Pokemon/characters. Unless sales truly dip even below their expectations, I don't think Gamefreak has much of a choice in this. It would be nice though.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are we doing the GG comparisions again? the movement that targeted minorities?

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too many times communities ignore these problematic areas and never actually push them out.
I assure you it's not the case here, given most complaints or notes that imply one does not support Game Freak's decision will be met with comparisons about the elements that threatened the developers' lives.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
As someone looking at it more from the outside but was curious to play the first Pokemon since Red and Blue:

Why are GF not reigned in by Nintendo? Surely they should be aware of the shitshow right now?

Reigned in for what? They release consistently well reviewed and incredibly well selling games almost every year or with no delays.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What do you mean "reign GF in"? Nintendo doesn't make all the calls. It's a joint venture.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think it's more that TPCi won't let that happen with the anime, TCG, and extensive push of merch relying on these games to generate new Pokemon/characters. Unless sales truly dip even below their expectations, I don't think Gamefreak has much of a choice in this. It would be nice though.
They don't really have a choice with the release schedule, but there are plenty of examples of how other companies treat yearly releases without having to constantly cut the scope or work the devs to the bone.

It's pretty clear Game Freak need more teams at this point so that one can work on the next generation games for an extended period of time while the other deals with the requisite remakes and third versions. I know they already work on multiple games simultaneously as it is, but clearly they need to do more since for the entire 3DS era these games have been coming out half-baked.

Status
Not open for further replies.