• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Difference is at this point pokemon scarlet/violet look pretty good for the hardware that it's on, and the hardware is not gonna imporve. This looks like a good looking switch game, no it's not pushing the limits of the switch, some screens look less flattering than others, but imo it hangs with the rest of the library and doesn't look out of place. Problems with jaggies? Welcome to the switch. looks like a switch game to me.
The frame rates and textures really stand out to me as way below what you'd see elsewhere on Switch.

That said: graphics don't tend to be the be all and end all to me. So as long as the game is huge and fun, and innovative then that's enough for me.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Cute starter, open world, they hopefully learned stuff from arceus (that had many flaws but was the most interesting run i had since X/Y), it looks bad, but i love the region, if they play it right and expand legends with less just throwing balls and more battles and exploration, then im IN.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
the fire starter zodiac thing is so funny because you have to stretch to even make cyndaquil and fennekin fit
people gonna apophenia

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I feel disconnected from this place, I think the game looks pretty. Obvious graphical flaws like aliasing and low-res textures here and there, but I don't see it as ugly overall.

I'm glad they are calling this game open-world from the get go:

Im digging the visuals and vibe way more than sleepy, ancient Arceus.

Jul 26, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars and trolling, history of bans for similar behavior
Difference is at this point pokemon scarlet/violet look pretty good for the hardware that it's on, and the hardware is not gonna imporve. This looks like a good looking switch game, no it's not pushing the limits of the switch, some screens look less flattering than others, but imo it hangs with the rest of the library and doesn't look out of place. Problems with jaggies? Welcome to the switch. looks like a switch game to me.
You can stop excusing it... These games sell 10s of millions of copies and this looks like a 720p ps2 game. Please stop saying this is OK. You can say that it doesn't bother you particularly, but this is way below average for a marquee release in 2022

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Having a hard time thinking why anyone's first reaction to a teaser trailer would be to be disappointed in a region. Didn't they already prove that while they may use a real country as a base, they have no problem including climates/history/inspiration that doesn't exist in that country to while making the region?

I hope it is not Spain only, but Portugal as well.

But man, I wish they would get out of Europe already. The dream of Brazil, China, or Australia is dead :c

Other than this, which is a good point.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Will say that a grass cat feels pretty uninspired since Litten exists. Was hoping that they'd go for a different animal but it is the the cutest of the bunch.

Hell I'd say all three starters are an improvement from Sword/Shield. Which is a first for me that a newer generation has better looking starters lol.

Looks Spain inspired so rip to those wanting Australia. Graphically it just looks like a better Arceus but still looks like an HD Wii:GameCube game.

I'm Violet gang here, which is a first since White and White 2 that I'm going with the secondary option. (Granted I haven't even played Sword/Shield yet).

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Fuecoco is clearly based on pimientos del piquillo rellenos de bacalao ("cod stuffed piquillo peppers")

char_p2-2x.png
31502420-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%9E%E3%83%88%E3%82%A6%E3%82%AC%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B7-%E3%83%87%E3%83%AB-%E3%83%94%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7-rellenos-%E3%83%87-%E3%82%BF%E3%83%A9%E3%80%81%E3%82%BF%E3%83%A9%E3%81%AE%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0-%E3%82%BD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%80%81%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9A%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E6%96%99%E7%90%86%E3%81%A8%E8%B5%A4%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3.jpg

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Region looks great. Starters… not so much.

Why the fuck is this targeting 2022 though. We're never getting a mainline game with an adequate development cycle.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I seriously wasn't expecting these to come out this year. I thought 2023 at the earliest, probably 2024. I'm shocked this is coming so soon after Legend of Arceus. Also surprised we are going back to colors for the titles. These will be the first since Black and White to do so.

It's cool that were giving open world a try this time around. Hopefully through the combined experiences of working on the wild area in Sword and Shield, as well as Arceus, they are able to improve the experience, as the Wild Area I felt was way too devoid of things to do, and I would prefer not to have a repeat of that here.

I was kind of hoping we would be able to explore countries in other regions we haven't been to yet, like Africa, South America, or the Middle East, but at least this is still unexplored territory so it should still be interesting to see a Pokemon world take on Spain.

Based on the three starters I am definitely going with the grass type this time around. Easily the cutest of the three imo.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Geez Gamefreak! Can't stop, won't stop, but I can't wait!

I'm usually a water pokemon starter so the one in this game doesn't look the most interesting. But I'm gonna suck it up and make him the most bombastic duck that ever lived!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions for the graphics:
- LoD and draw distance seems much improved from Arceus
- Likewise, water seems improved and no longer shows repeating tiled textures in the distance
- Lighting looks more advanced, was especially clear in the shot of the sunset when the sunrays actually looked like more than a slight bloom around the sun
- Grass is much more consistent and doesn't leave as much empty spots on the terrain, it's even
- I hate that they dropped the celshading. Hopefully it won't be forever, bring it back for gen 10.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can stop excusing it... These games sell 10s of millions of copies and this looks like a 720p ps2 game. Please stop saying this is OK. You can say that it doesn't bother you particularly, but this is way below average for a marquee release in 2022

How is anyone supposed to take anything you say seriously when you lead with such an absurd statement?

Do people seriously not remember what PS2 games looked like? Am I old?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
They really about to put out 3 major Pokemon games in a 12 month span. I know BDSP was outsourced but sheesh.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But man, I wish they would get out of Europe already. The dream of Brazil, China, or Australia is dead :c
I'm sure we'll get a China-inspired region eventually.

The old adage of "pick a place that's popular with Japanese tourists, and that's a candidate for a Pokémon region" continues to hold true. I think maybe we're due for a California-themed region? You could have Ersatz San Francisco, Ersatz Hollywood, Ersatz Disneyland...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Three Pokemon games releasing within a year is actually insane

Calm the fuck down TPC. You'd think Covid would have slowed things down, not cause them to release more games in quick succession

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit we're actually getting Gen 9 this year! I wasn't expecting it but I'm not complaining especially after how much I enjoyed Legends.

What a double whammy for the year, I guess it's a good time to strike while the iron is hot as Legends did introduce/reinvigorate the franchise for so many.

Also I may be in the minority here but I think I like all three starters? First impression was Quaxley > Fuecoco > Sprigatito

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019

I mean yuoutube compression isnt doing it any favours but the bloom is insanely high and everything looks very low quality

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Some things jump out on rewatch:

The trainer designs feel really unremarkable and the translation of the art to model makes it worse.

I really really dislike the color choices for grass and whatnot that feels like it is ripped right out of SwSh. Something I really liked about PLA was how easy the colors were on the eyes, even if the game was technically bad to mediocre. This just feels super garish and unrefined in comparison. Even the 3ds games had nicer color choices than this. Hope it's just the part of the game that was shown off or that they polish before release.

The trees seem to have the same issues as they did in PLA. Seems wild this isn't fixed.

I hope this game doesn't throw a lot of PLA's qol, seamlessness, traversal and modest difficulty and risk reward improvements out the window to become Pokemon SwSh but it's just the wild area this time.

Need to see more of the world. Very cautiously optimistic. It would be nice if after PLA I could give complete benefit of the doubt but I personally feel this game looks worse and less inspired than that game so far (and it's probably gonna do the boring pokemon thing with foreign regions being complete caricatures). Still, hope springs eternal.

Edit: and I fucking love the starters. They all look kinda derpy and ugly cute, not just unremarkable/ugly like gen 8.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much the trainers look like New Pokemon Snap I wonder if there's any connection development wise

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If this plays like Arceus, count me in on day one. The series needed to evolve and I enjoyed Arceus way, way more than Brilliant Diamond.

I'd love for them to have fully voiced dialog this time (again, they need to evolve), but it's not a deal breaker if they don't.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, Twitter Spain is having a fucking field day with this and I wish I could explain all the internal joke memes that are already circulating around.