• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Do these games become somewhat challenging? What I played in the demo was just walking around and pressing A from time to time.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Mystery Dungeon is the longest running spin-off in this series by quite a bit now right? Talent stays winning

Do these games become somewhat challenging? What I played in the demo was just walking around and pressing A from time to time.
Yeah they become really hard in some spots.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting to see performance complaints. Could this be another one that originated as a 3DS project?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to read beyond the OP or install the demo to check. I see there are partners in the game, is it possible that a second player can control a second character like in the chocobo's dungeon stuff, or are your partners strictly AI?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I remember as a child the physical pain when you're barely holding on, reach the stairs, only to find you have like five more floors lol

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ok, so I guess it is just the start of the game. I do find the game interesting I was just afraid it might end up being a boring cakewalk.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to read beyond the OP or install the demo to check. I see there are partners in the game, is it possible that a second player can control a second character like in the chocobo's dungeon stuff, or are your partners strictly AI?
Originally they were just Ai. Probably didn't change that
I remember as a child the physical pain when you're barely holding on, reach the stairs, only to find you have like five more floors lol
Or you run out of Pp halfway thru cuz you wanted to fight everything on every floor

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm recalling my childhood where I spent the entire night at a friend's trying to get through this one 90+ floor dungeon I think with Mew in it. He was playing the newly released Pokemon Gale of Darkness at the time.

He got through a decent chunk of the game, while I was still stuck in that dungeon... 😃

Watch I get skitty after talking with you gonna play the demo tonight

You know it

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Rescue Team was pretty tough to me as a certain earlygame boss defeated me, and then later on another boss did the same, but that was my first time playing a game like this as a kid so I'm not sure how others felt about certain bosses. Overall, I recall it being challenging but fair enough. Seeing as this game has some additions, maybe this remake will be more balanced.
Postgame is where Rescue Team had some brutal dungeons, however.

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm recalling my childhood where I spent the entire night at a friend's trying to get through this one 90+ floor dungeon I think with Mew in it. He was playing the newly released Pokemon Gale of Darkness at the time.

He got through a decent chunk of the game, while I was still stuck in that dungeon... 😃

You know it
O god...o god no...the pain!!!

Oct 27, 2017
This demo's getting me all nostalgic.

It kinda bothers me that moving into your partners space pushes it forwards instead of swapping places.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Played through the demo so here are some quick thoughts:
  • Perfectly recaptures the charm of the original, I felt like I was 10 years old again while playing.
  • Loved that they kept the questions the exact same, I'm pretty sure I got the same Pokemon I did 1years ago (Mudkip)
  • Not a fan of the 'pushing' system from Super Mystery Dungeon as I find it more cumbersome than useful and a great way of accidentally wasting Hunger.
  • Feels like they went a bit overboard on making the starters good. Mudkip starting with Water Gun, Mud Bomb and Mud Slap is bad enough but Pikachu is straight broken, it's dealing out 40 damage when the Pokemon only have 12HP
  • Seems like they're a bit more generous with the items as well, you can get a lot of Tiny Reviver Seeds in the early dungeons
  • Friend Zones have been renamed to something I can't quite remember but I really hope they haven't redesigned the system, collecting Pokemon and then visiting them in their habitats was one of my favourite parts of the originals.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
You can still swap places with your partner by holding B and moving in the direction your partner is in. It was handy in Super for Monster Houses since a common problem is swapping places just to escape into a hallway and your partner was getting beaten up as a result, but even I forget that I'm pushing and waste hunger as a result.

I know what dungeon you're talking about, and you remember correctly about it. 99 floor dungeons are such an endurance run.

Oct 25, 2017
You can still swap places with your partner by holding B and moving in the direction your partner is in. It was handy in Super for Monster Houses since a common problem is swapping places just to escape into a hallway and your partner was getting beaten up as a result, but even I forget that I'm pushing and waste hunger as a result.

I know what dungeon you're talking about, and you remember correctly about it. 99 floor dungeons are such an endurance run.
Imagine you playing handheld and the switch die

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I picked Eevee as my starter since it's my favorite but.. I feel like having a normal type will bite me in the ass at some point. I remember the original games getting really hard and normal isn't exactly great

cheska

Oct 27, 2017
What is appealing about these games? Do they have a decent story? I'm not a fan of dungeon crawlers or rogue like games but I do like me some Pokemon 😊

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is appealing about these games? Do they have a decent story? I'm not a fan of dungeon crawlers or rogue like games but I do like me some Pokemon 😊

Story is the main reason these games have been appreciated over the years.

This one also seems to have more story events than the original as well.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

These games might make you love dungeon crawlers. Rescuing lost Pokémon is a really endearing concept, and the password stamp rescue system was revolutionary at the time.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Put it this way, there's multiple 100 floor dungeons that reset your level to 1 every time you go into it, you're not allowed to bring any items in with you, and you have to enter alone without any partners.

Yeah, they get pretty challenging.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What? I need link/proof of that.
A bunch of comments made observations suggesting it's 5 versions mixed into 1. Reasons given below:

• You have Gen 3 Pokemon in the game. This is exclusive to Explorers of Darkness, Time, and Sky:
pw0rwokocs941.jpg

• You have Shiny Pokemon confirmed in the demo, exclusive to the Japanese Mystery Dungeon WiiWare titles:
s7MclTP.png

• And you have Red/Blue Rescue Team, GBA and DS platforms, each of which are exclusive to their respective platforms. (Blue is more superior because of the extra 2 buttons, X and Y buttons.)
  • Art may be argued to be a mix of Gates to Infinity / Super Mystery Dungeon, so that's 2 titles.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon I remember the most not joining my team was Groudon.... I hope he loves me this gen.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Folks also noticed that the game has 18 story points on the save files now, whereas the original only had 12. Either they've reworked where the game notes progress on the save screen, or they've added new post-game content.

I'm going to guess that we're getting more post-game content.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Folks also noticed that the game has 18 story points on the save files now, whereas the original only had 12. Either they've reworked where the game notes progress on the save screen, or they've added new post-game content.

I'm going to guess that we're getting more post-game content.
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'm trembling in delight!

Oct 27, 2017

You know it

Omg. This and Deoxys. Holy shit.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's been 9 pages, and no one mentioned the game itself is handled by Spike Chunsoft!

There's no way they are going to make the game less appealing. Their music soundtrack will be very nice to listen to.

Also... Jukebox / Album Room from Explorers of Sky.... One can hope.

Alsoooo, it's 14 years of Pokemon isekai.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I like this auto mode. The optimal A attack thing might make me really sloppy, although I keep defaulting to it. I know it doesn't matter that much early on, although I almost wiped against a Voltorb that drained half my HP. LOL

Really dig the art style. Music is pleasant although nothing amazing yet. Good so far, but just not sure if it's $60 good.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, is that how you do it now? Last game I played was Explorers and swapping places was still the default action there.