• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choose your starter Pokémon:

• Rowlet

Votes: 607 27.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 1,079 49.6%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 488 22.4%

• Total voters

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
First distortion.. alright that was pretty cool. Caught me off guard completely even after reading people say similar stuff.

But how the hell are you supposed to catch stuff in there when you can't sneak up on anything and battling means a gank fest since they spawn in groups. I pretty much had to spend the whole time dodging and picking up random stuff.
Separate pokemon behind obstacles like big rocks or lure the one you want to catch outside the rift.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
First distortion.. alright that was pretty cool. Caught me off guard completely even after reading people say similar stuff.

But how the hell are you supposed to catch stuff in there when you can't sneak up on anything and battling means a gank fest since they spawn in groups. I pretty much had to spend the whole time dodging and picking up random stuff.

you can sneak on them if you "lose" them a bit. you can also throw spoiled apricorns and mud balls to stun them and literally walk to their back and throw a ball there

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else finding themselves avoiding battling?

I really like running around chucking pokemon at pokeballs and stuff and battling just stops that momentum lol

Red

Oct 26, 2017

I really like running around chucking pokemon at pokeballs and stuff and battling just stops that momentum lol
I did at first. I still wish battles were *just* a bit quicker. But I do them a lot more now that I have half a stable team in place.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Well, I'll be damned, apparently I caught a shiny Aipom at some point. Too bad I hate Aipom, or else I'd be excited.

It's been the opposite for me, I battle whenever possible.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Aipom pink in my Pokedex?
tumblr_inline_ph1l8cudAC1sx60a9_540.png

Was hoping I could sneak this in before the shiny revelation.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok holy shit is this game fun once you get a mount. the way you can whip around the map, hop off instantly to loot and hop right back on without waiting for it to finish is awesome. the exploration in this game is great. love the verticality too, it feels like any time you're up high you can go to the ledge and find a bunch of shit to go find on the lower levels. I love how sometimes you don't even have to go down you can just throw your pokemon/pokeball down and it'll reach. I was enjoying the game before but it just went to another level

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Battling sucks.

The more I play, the more I realize this will be a one and done for me. Once I complete the post game story and get my shiny Electabuzz line I don't think I'll ever touch this game again.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

I only battle when I fail to capture a Pokémon or when I want to complete some research tasks. Otherwise, I keep sneaking and capturing Pokémon.

I hope this series is a success and that they improve upon it. I always thought Pokémon battles to be boringgly slow. I loved battles on SW/SH because of the spectacle (gym battles), or the co-op feature of it (raid battles), or the special Pokémon hunt (also raid battles). The battle itself was never something I looked for. I think it is so boring that BDSP put me to sleep, and I mean literally.

So yeah, I never liked the combat focus, and always wished I could explore and see Pokémon on the world. There are many things I wish this game would improve, but it is a really solid base. So far it is the Pokémon game that I love the most. That said, I'm still on the 1st area while being 3 stars rank. So maybe it is fairer to say "it is the Pokémon game that I loved the most the beginning/tutorial"?

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
I was skeptical…..but fuck this game is so fun. I love it. Just made it to third area with Gengar, Snorlax, Sylveon, Luxray, Decidueye, Infernape

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Filling out the Pokedex is a big grind. I'm post-game now and need to complete everything, so I'm in this tedious loop of: pull out the Pokémon I caught but don't have level 10 research for > check which moves I need for research and what style > go do 5 battles against Bidoof and use agile/strong whatever attack (hope Bidoof doesn't run) > talk to Professor, update to level 10 > repeat 200 times

Red

Oct 26, 2017

Smoke bomb.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
I truly wish there was a guaranteed method to spawn Distortions, I only need a few pokemon to fill out my dex and I'm running out of things to do whilst waiting for them to spawn.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Filling out the Pokedex is a big grind. I'm post-game now and need to complete everything, so I'm in this tedious loop of: pull out the Pokémon I caught but don't have level 10 research for > check which moves I need for research and what style > go do 5 battles against Bidoof and use agile/strong whatever attack (hope Bidoof doesn't run) > talk to Professor, update to level 10 > repeat 200 times

You only need to have caught them, not max research, for the post-game final boss.

Detailed Interactive Maps by Gamer Guides

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share the Interactive Maps we've worked on for Arceus. We've had a team on this since launch and put a lot of hours into it so hopefully, it's useful for some people. Please see below:-
- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

The map(s) currently contains the following:- High resolution, zoomable region images.
- All 107 Wisps & 28 Unown Locations (with screenshots and descriptions).
- All Normal, Alpha, Noble, Legendary & Mythical Pokémon Locations.
- Points of Interest such as: Camps, Fast Travels, Dungeons etc.
- Space Time Distortion Locations.
- All Dig Spots
- All Old Verses

We are currently working hard to add more screenshots and Pokémon markers so please bear with us. If you click certain markers you will see screenshots and useful links to more information. Please Note: Normal Pokemon are zone-based and may have a wide spawn radius so they may not be in the exact same position. Try to look in the area around the marker and you should be able to find one. Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You only need to have caught them, not max research, for the post-game final boss.
I don't need the level 10? Well that's definitely something, thanks you just saved me a ton of grinding. Do you need level 10 everything for the shiny charm I assume though?

They were pretty chaotic for me at first, but I've found that you can usually start a battle and catch things on your first throw. So start a 3-vs-1 battle, first turn capture the biggest threat -> take two attacks -> capture the second Pokemon -> endure a final attack -> catch the last thing.

One of the big things about PLA is to unlearn 25 years of other Pokemon games. Wild Pokemon don't need to be weakened to capture, and have very high capture rates. I captured Palkia first turn with my first Ultra Ball toss at full health, I'm not even sure that's possible in the regular series :D

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Today i got m'y first two Shiny ! ( Without counting ponyta ).
It's going to get me more into thé game !

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share the Interactive Maps we've worked on for Arceus. We've had a team on this since launch and put a lot of hours into it so hopefully, it's useful for some people. Please see below:-
- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

The map(s) currently contains the following:- High resolution, zoomable region images.
- All 107 Wisps & 25 Unown Locations (with screenshots and descriptions).

We are currently working hard to add more screenshots and Pokémon markers so please bear with us. If you click certain markers you will see screenshots and useful links to more information. Please Note: Normal Pokemon are zone-based and may have a wide spawn radius so they may not be in the exact same position. Try to look in the area around the marker and you should be able to find one. Would greatly appreciate any feedback.
These are fantastic, thank you!

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
Is it possible to use a Smoke Bomb to escape combat, like one would expect a Smoke Bomb to be used? It seems like all it does is allow you to generate stealth grass to approach Pokemon with.

It feels weird how the game has so many tools for sneaking up on Pokemon but so few tools for dealing with alerted Pokemon. Particularly with how stingy the game is with the stun items.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Started the game yesterday, about 5hrs in now, and am completely addicted to the game loop.

I'm finding myself having more fun catching the Pokemon than battling them.

Really enjoying myself so far. I do wish the avatar's running was better. It's a bit slow and janky for me.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Late game character reveal:
Beni being a ninja and saying he does all the "dirty work" and saying he is going try and kill this kid is wow, a lot lol

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK

I came across my first last night. Haunter, Gengar and Licktitung all spawned directly in front of me, threw a ball at each one and caught them all first try. Then the distortion ended. I'm guessing this isn't what should happen?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

Yes, there's really just no point to it. I've had an extremely easy time catching even much higher level fully evolved alpha Pokemon without entering combat, so why should I bother?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Why are you going after Bidoof when a lot of Pokémon have some kind of "defeated with [x] type move" as one of their tasks?

Go after Geodudes with a grass starter and its signature move, for example, and you're taking care of 4 tasks at once (the move, the style, defeating 'dudes, defeating them with a grass attack).

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
27 hours in, finished the 4th area around 20 hours or so at rank 6...then I decided to go back and explore the first and the second one a little more.
7 hours later i ranked up, got a lot of cool pokemon, the best one is an Alpha Sliggoo...this dude isn't only adorable but can take some hits as well, i think i found my tank. I was also looking in the sky when i noticed a Magnezone, went on top of a mountain, wathced his flying pattern and throwed a wing ball at him, felt like a sniper...really cool moment.
Decided to jump in a couple of time distortion too, and while i feel more safe now with a higher level party I'm always still on my toes because it's so easy to be ganged up by 3 or more pokemon.
Tried my best with an Alpha Torterra and an Alpha Primeape but the first one made me burn all my balls and didn't wanted to be catched and the Infernape always killed himself at the end.
Today will spend some time on the coast and in the 4th area.
Also, for the more experts here, I'm starting to grow mints...wich nature is the best for a Typlosion? He's the only one i'm spending grit on for now and i never cared about nature/iv/EV but in this game is so easy to do that at least for my starter i would like him to be the very best like no one ever was
What, there is a primeape in this game?

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I suck. Can't even find a pikachu and the second area is kicking my ass and I just started that area.

pretty bad that I'm even terrible at a Pokémon game now.

Edit: maps posted earlier is going to help catching the Pokémon I want. Thanks.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why are you going after Bidoof when a lot of Pokémon have some kind of "defeated with [x] type move" as one of their tasks?

Go after Geodudes with a grass starter and its signature move, for example, and you're taking care of 4 tasks at once (the move, the style, defeating 'dudes, defeating them with a grass attack).
I'd love to be that efficient, yeah. The problem is that it's not very easy to coordinate all of that in game (have to look up what move they need to be defeated with, pick the appropriate Pokemon, travel to that area unlike Bidoof who are right next to the camp, and anything other than Bidoof is probably going to require healing between battles, etc). Also, most of those Pokemon I could complete by defeating I've already completed by catching, it's their less common evolutions I'm completing now.

That would be a neat tool to find on the internet though, a PLA "efficient dex" planner.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need the level 10? Well that's definitely something, thanks you just saved me a ton of grinding. Do you need level 10 everything for the shiny charm I assume though?

They were pretty chaotic for me at first, but I've found that you can usually start a battle and catch things on your first throw. So start a 3-vs-1 battle, first turn capture the biggest threat -> take two attacks -> capture the second Pokemon -> endure a final attack -> catch the last thing.

One of the big things about PLA is to unlearn 25 years of other Pokemon games. Wild Pokemon don't need to be weakened to capture, and have very high capture rates. I captured Palkia first turn with my first Ultra Ball toss at full health, I'm not even sure that's possible in the regular series :D

Palkia's catch rate was always on the rather high side, tbh.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Hi everyone,

- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

I can definitely see myself using this to collect the unowns and spirits, great job!

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

Thank you very much for this. Fantastic work.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Just finished the Kleavor fight. Sometimes I sit back in awe and say wow this is a Pokemon game. One thing this game does well is hold your attention with stuff to do on the path to your objective. I've went down many detours before I've even got to the objective, sometimes hours later. Reminds me of BOTW for sure. Love this game.

Hi everyone,

- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

These are great. Nice job. Bookmarked!!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Also, for the more experts here, I'm starting to grow mints...wich nature is the best for a Typlosion? He's the only one i'm spending grit on for now and i never cared about nature/iv/EV but in this game is so easy to do that at least for my starter i would like him to be the very best like no one ever was

I made mine modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk.) because it seems to be better at that and its speed is nothing to write home about, but +Speed, -Atk might be good too if there are threats that are getting two turns on you. I think a mixed attack/special attack might be good too since it would open up lots of physical moves like iron tail, wild charge, drain punch, and rock slide, but its attack stat is pretty mediocre.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone have the drive file (or somewhere else like Imgur?) of all of the new Pokemon models/images?

I really liked seeing them all before the game came out but that original drive file was nuked. Someone has to have the high res images somewhere right?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

- Obsidian Fieldlands
- Crimson Mirelands
- Cobalt Coastlands
- Coronet Highlands
- Alabaster Icelands
- Jubilife Village

- All 107 Wisps & 28 Unown Locations (with screenshots and descriptions).

This is great. I would love a button for each Pokémon that would quickly hidden everything else and only show that Pokémon (so a focus button basically). Right now the flow would be to click hide all and then click the Pokémon, but I think what I want to do most frequently is to search for one specific mon.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a pokemon game that uses the red colored beam for the pokeballs like the anime? It seems its always blue in the games.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Just got my third shiny without looking for it. First Snorunt, then Carnivine, now Hippowdon lol.

With the stuff that improves Shiny chances people should be swimming in them