• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
You actually don't need an active sub to Bank for transfers to Home. You might want to put the stuff you want transferred on Bank during the free month if you don't have a sub.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So Bank is needed for all the 3DS games including the Red/Gold etc releases? If so, I gotta cram a LOT of Pokemoning in the next few weeks

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So Bank is needed for all the 3DS games including the Red/Gold etc releases? If so, I gotta cram a LOT of Pokemoning in the next few weeks
Yep, through Bank you can transfer from

Generation 1 (VC)
Generation 2 (VC)
Generation 5 (and by extension Generations 3 & 4)
Generation 6
Generation 7

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Yes you need NSO to do that. But as said, not for Home and you can also trade within Home
Yes, just like you do for every single other online release on the Nintendo Switch

Then I take it the statement " Plus NSO, playing Pokemon online is expensive" is right. You need the $20 a year NSO to battle online. If all you have is HOME then you don't get to battle others in this Monster collection and battling game.

Oct 25, 2017
considering that the NSO subscription does not include cloud saving, yes, it's 36$ a year to fully experience modern pokemon's online features. home is basically the substitute for cloud saving and only 30 pokemon for the free tier doesn't cut it imo.

Pedrix

Feb 20, 2018
Montreal - QC, Canada
The storage limit in Sw&Sh is 850 pokemon, right? I saw this number over some random google search, dunno if it's true.

If it is, I will definitely need a subscription of the Home. Fine by me though, I was just wondering if I could just transfer everything to Sword.

Oct 25, 2017
Are we able to organise some friend safari or Sun/Moon Plaza action with the renewed interest in the Bank-generations?

I never understood the connectivity for the latter.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Presumably to bypass the requirement for NSO
if f2p games can get away with it, i don't care what excuse they have, tpc has plenty of leverage to allow trading on the same damn platform

The storage limit in Sw&Sh is 850 pokemon, right? I saw this number over some random google search, dunno if it's true.

If it is, I will definitely need a subscription of the Home. Fine by me though, I was just wondering if I could just transfer everything to Sword.
it's 960

Brake

Feb 6, 2018
I'm a bit confused.

Can you transfer the Pokémon from HOME to Sword/Shield without NSO?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a bit confused.

Can you transfer the Pokémon from HOME to Sword/Shield without NSO?
Yes

And from Let's Go to HOME and back too

And from GO to HOME

Just not from Bank to HOME

Heck I'd argue the amount you can do for free could be part of the higher cost; subsidising costs for the server for free players

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
User warned: Hostility
Yes

And from GO to HOME

Heck I'd argue the amount you can do for free could be part of the higher cost; subsidising costs for the server for free players
With the 30 Pokemon limit in the free plan the amount of users sticking with the free plan and not paying jack shit is gonna be miniscule compared to the active subs, so much so that it is ridiculous to even suggest the 3x mark up is because they have to cover the traffic of said free plan users. Just admit it already that they got greedy and stop defending every penny counting scrooge move from TPCi, all you have done for me at least is lose my total respect.

Brake

Feb 6, 2018
Yes

And from GO to HOME

Get it. That's very nice then!

I was reluctant about the higher price and the requirement of having both versions to have access of all functions, but at least they managed to 'avoid' the NSO requirement.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With the 30 Pokemon limit in the free plan the amount of users sticking with the free plan and not paying jack shit is gonna be miniscule compared to the active subs, so much so that it is ridiculous to even suggest the 3x mark up is because they have to cover the traffic of said free plan users. Just admit it already that they got greedy and stop defending every penny counting scrooge move from TPCi, all you have done for me at least is lose my total respect.
I do agree it's higher than it should be. It should be $10 really at most.

However, as someone who deals with servers, I 100% get the pricing, especially as there's far more to it than just storage.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The 30 space is basically so people can use the free features since you need the Pokemon on the service to use them.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to transfer pokemon from HeartGold?
It is the newest pokemon game I've completed, I also have Sun but haven't done much with it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Is there a way to transfer pokemon from HeartGold?
It is the newest pokemon game I've completed, I also have Sun but haven't done much with it.
Basically you need to transfer from HeartGold to Black/White/Black 2/White 2. This requires you to have 2 DS or 3DS consoles

Then you use Poké Transporter to put up to Bank

Then you go from Bank to HOME

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Basically you need to transfer from HeartGold to Black/White/Black 2/White 2. This requires you to have 2 DS or 3DS consoles

Then you use Poké Transporter to put up to Bank

Then you go from Bank to HOME
I'll have to find a cartridge of White/Black then. I already have a DSi and a N3DS, so that's the only thing.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Not exactly a winning argument here when people are more than happy to pay $60 for a mainline game that has all the polish of a low end PS2 game with less features than its handheld $40 counterparts.

Pokemon makes me sad.

I mean, good for GameFreak managing to make (Pokemon) bank with games that would be torn to shreds if they didn't have the pokemon branding and nostalgia.

But as someone who actually cares about the games as media/art, rather than the wallets of the makers, the franchise is objectively awful.

It has so much potential, such a strong premise, amazing mythos all wrapped up in (as you say) the design sensibility and polish of an AA PS2 game. When Nintendo is pushing out Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Smash Ultimate etc why do fans accept such mediocrity and conservatism in Pokemon?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You know, with Game Freak taking the year off to focus on DLC, I'm starting to see these games as a stepping stone towards a much more cohesive release schedule. I can see their pain a little bit. They needed a new mainline game, and taking an off year wasn't really an option until they had expansions they could use to tide fans over.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You know, with Game Freak taking the year off to focus on DLC, I'm starting to see these games as a stepping stone towards a much more cohesive release schedule. I can see their pain a little bit. They needed a new mainline game, and taking an off year wasn't really an option until they had expansions they could use to tide fans over.
Pokemon as an annual series never made sense, off years were always a thing, and fans have been begging for one for years now. Expansions are definitely a middle ground that is more than acceptable and allows for the base games to be relevant throughout the entire gen than being sidelined by remakes or 3rd versions.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The expansion pass isn't really any different from how they usually do it outside of it being cheaper than the normal third version.

Pokemon as an annual series never made sense, off years were always a thing, and fans have been begging for one for years now. Expansions are definitely a middle ground that is more than acceptable and allows for the base games to be relevant throughout the entire gen than being sidelined by remakes or 3rd versions.
Whenever GF takes a year off people start to complain and go crazy.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The expansion pass isn't really any different from how they usually do it outside of it being cheaper than the normal third version.

They have a new director. That means that Masuda and Ohmori are free to work on their own games, which is a huge difference.

I used to believe this. But Pokémon's sales momentum after its rapid release cycle is undeniable. The sales started to stagnate between Gens 3 and 5, and I think the 4 year generation cycle was the culprit.

I hate 3 year generations, but the momentum the series has right now is insane.