• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough this might get me back into the franchise, one I grew up loving but started to drift away from around the time of X/Y. To me it makes sense to make each game its own thing with certain Pokémon. They really should just create a battle game that's continuously updated for multiplayer battling.
There's no reason Gamefreak can't limit Pokémon transfers until post-campaign. I'm 100% in favour to limiting the campaign to the Regional Dex in each game. Not including every Pokémon in the game's data, when only last week they announced Pokémon Home as a means of bringing forward your favourite Pokémon, however, is a slap in the face.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Let's not pretend it's a deep concept. It doesn't even make sense on the pokemon world's physics. It's dumb to the core.
These game-specific mechanics have gotten progressively worse, imo. I expect the next generation to have Pokemon mech suits that break apart in three turns. Charizard gets three suits, for some reason.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
My take-a-away from this? Anyone that says, "There's too many Pokemon, maybe they need to delete some" has been literally proven wrong as something that "needs" to be done. Being non-transferable produces this much outrage...think about how much outrage deleting even ONE Pokemon from existence would create. Would be the literal worst business decision in the entire franchise.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough this might get me back into the franchise, one I grew up loving but started to drift away from around the time of X/Y. To me it makes sense to make each game its own thing with certain Pokémon. They really should just create a battle game that's continuously updated for multiplayer battling.
You do know that no game ever had all Pokemon catchable in the game right?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Kinda saw this coming with how SM handled the national dex. Seemed fairly obvious that they were de-emphasizing the importance of the national dex for a reason. Makes sense as a decision tbh, they can't add Pokemon forever without compromising at some point. There'll be over 1000 soon, that's insane

I don't play competitive and quite liked not feeling I had to hunt down a bunch of pokemon not available in-game to complete my dex in USUM, so I actually don't care at all. But probably going to avoid discussions about the game now because I imagine this will be mentioned in the first 5 replies of every thread going forward

EDIT: thinking about it, there might be a future for games like Battle Revolution/Stadium if this becomes the new norm for the mainline games. I'm sure GF have plans for competitive Pokemon

At least for the official competitive format, vgc, they always Start with the regional dex, and after that they shift into the national dex, so there's that.

The problem Is that people outside competitive has their favorite pokemon too. There Is people that are going to be screwed if they wanted to breed or play with their beloved monsters.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain this to me. I don't understand what the hell this means....
It means that if the Pokemon isn't in the regional dex, it isn't in the game period so you can't transfer them from Home to the game to use them.

What I learned from the let's go arguments last year is that alot of people seemingly think every Pokémon is catchable in every game, that you need to catch them all, and there aren't already curated pokedexes
I got flashbacks to those asinine arguments, not gonna lie

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
It doesn't matter how many Pokemon are in the Galar dex, someone's favorites are going to get cut and it sucks. You can't have importing all your Pokemon gen over gen be the standard operating procedure since Gen 3 and just kill the feature. Depending on how harsh the cuts are I'm very likely going from someone who buys both games every gen to being completely done with the series. I have a lot of favorite Pokemon over the years and a lot of memories tied up with my crew of competitively trained Pokemon. Losing that kills a huge amount of the game for me especially with how trash the single player experience has been for so long.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
My suspicion in going with the Dynamaxing system versus, say, returning the mega forms is that it was significantly easier to implement because most of what happens is that you render the models bigger. I'm not convinced that dropping the Dynamax system would have fixed any of the issues people are complaining about here, especially issues relating to game balance.

So mega evolutions have been retconned out/cut out?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I was hoping for a mid-sized roster with curated picks, like around 250, not too high, but as soon as I heard this news, I hope as many pokemon as possible are in. Even if it sacrafices the "freshness" of the game.

edit: you can most likely say bye-bye to any starter pokemon, maybe except those damn Kanto ones (as if they didnt get enough representation already).

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Pokemans_556.gif

This is my least favorite Pokemon. Its name is Maractus. Maractus is my least favorite Pokemon because, to me, it is utterly forgettable. Maractus was introduced in Generation V (Black/White), which I played upon its release and thoroughly enjoyed. I did not even know Maractus existed until a year ago. I had one, but I had absolutely no recollection of what Maractus was. Do I want to cut Maractus? No, because I'm not an asshole.I realize that, somewhere out there, there is a person who is ALL about Maractus and I want them to experience the same happiness that every other Pokemon player experiences when they reunite with an old party member in the new entry. Not everyone's favorite Pokemon is Pikachu or Charizard, and it's kinda bunk to tell those people that their favorite Pokemon is cancelled.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So mega evolutions have been retconned out/cut out?

Sounds like both megas and z-moves have been dropped from other stuff they've said on stream today. Can't say I blame 'em, frankly. I like their goals of trying to rebalance the older Pokemon but I disliked both implementations, and I thought z-moves especially were flawed in their one-time use aspect.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they use only 50~ kantomon or so in a larger dex of 400´~500.
Don't @ me, let me dream.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the game blew my mind and was a true "botw" type reboot, then I could probably pass this off and accept the trade offs. But fuck this, seriously.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I can't see this meaning anything other than some variation of "....until you have the National Dex".

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are going to start fighting over roster slots as soon as the list is revealed.

I got laughed at months ago when I said every new region has "limited" spots in the Regional Pokémon Dex.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?!?!?

*Clears throat*

I'm just annoyed that three of those spots will always go to the Pikachu line. Other then that as long as we get a healthy amount of new Pokémon I don't care what the slots look like.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Inexcusable with how much money they bring in, especially in a game with no voice acting or any of the extra fluff in AAA games.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The reactions in this thread are baffling to me. With the total number of Pokémon increasing constantly over the past 20 years, why is this even surprising? There's a point where it just becomes unrealistic to have all of them in every game.

Well, then it'll be interesting to see how many new Pokémon are introduced, now and in the future generations.

Because now there's no excuse for having the total of existing Pokémon hit 900 or 1000, if each main game is gonna have it reduced to just 300-400 ish anyways.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
There is no chance this doesn't get ret-conned for the next games given the backlash. The only question is whether or not they'll make change to Sword and Shield so that non-Galar Pokemon can be brought in at a later date.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemans_556.gif

This is my least favorite Pokemon. Its name is Maractus. Maractus is my least favorite Pokemon because, to me, it is utterly forgettable. Maractus was introduced in Generation V (Black/White), which I played upon its release and thoroughly enjoyed. I did not even know Maractus existed until a year ago. I had one, but I had absolutely no recollection of what Maractus was. Do I want to cut Maractus? No, because I'm not an asshole.I realize that, somewhere out there, there is a person who is ALL about Maractus and I want them to experience the same happiness that every other Pokemon player experiences when they reunite with an old party member in the new entry. Not everyone's favorite Pokemon is Pikachu or Charizard, and it's kinda bunk to tell those people that their favorite Pokemon is cancelled.
He's one of my favs. Thanks.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is nuts. They earn what an AAA studio does with these games. Couldn't they outsource, hire more people or just plain delay the game?

What is this justification.
I would rather have the game now and roll them out as they finish them tbh. Yeah I don't know why they haven't hired more people but I think they will end up getting everything sorted soon after launch. This is a top 3 franchise for Nintendo no way they neglect it.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Absol is in or not, but what can you do? They said they didn't have enough development time for all.
which is bullshit for several reasons, starting from the fact that they're a company that rakes in hundreds of millions every year to that they have every single model from Bulbasaur to Marshadow already made to great detail because of forward compatibility. And the animations are still nonexistant in this game anyway.
The reason is that they are really really cheap

Jun 10, 2019
I've gotten most of the Pokemon games since launch day. Even Pokemon games like XY/SM. Games I've never really revisited.

This'll probably be the first Pokemon game I won't pick up at launch or at all.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Oh man the first Pokemon game that will not feature all Pokemon is...disheartening. I'm tired of the first games in a new generation being half-baked like this. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much until I know more about the games but this bad news just about any way you look at it.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
deadbass creeps into the loud room full of very angry people and says in a small voice

"I'm fine with this."

Immediately runs away and shuts the door behind him.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've been a Pokémon fan my whole life. I've lived through periods where major parts of the PokéDex were inaccessible and this was always fine. I looked forward to the opportunity to use them when they finally did become available it was a very welcome return.

HOWEVER, not available is one thing. Not compatible is another.

There has never been a time where Pokémon weren't present in the game data. So even if you had to wait for Kanto remakes to get many of those Pokémon, you could transfer them between your games and forward to new ones and have that reunion you looked forward to

I have hundreds of Pokémon that I have bred, leveled, and trained. Multiple generations of major labor and investment in the series. The idea that the buck just stops and there's nothing I can do to use them ever is unprecedented. I can't believe they would lock Pokémon out of the game like that.

I'm not so foolish to believe there will never be full-availability again in the future. But this feels like a betrayal for sure. I'm really let down by this news. I don't understand it and I don't think it makes the series better. If they wanted to limit the Pokémon you could use they should have done what they always did and not enabled transfers until a certain amount of time has passed.

A permanent lock out is just... really upsetting. Terrible news.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
He's one of my favs. Thanks.
No problem. This is why it's so important to represent every Pokemon. All of them have their fans, and therefore there are people who will be extremely bummed if they're targeted for exclusion. I don't even want to think about what the next few months will be like, waiting for updates with bated breath to see if our favorites are in the game this time. It's not a fun way to ramp up to release. And that's just for those of us who are still considering picking the games up.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Most of the Pokémon I like are the weirder ones that have a smaller chance of making it than the big, popular ones. And my wife's favorite Pokémon is Purugly, not a very popular Pokémon who most likely won't be making the cut either.

This is a monumentally dumb decision, that flies in the face of what Pokémon games are about. Especially with them using the same models and such that they've already used I previous games. It's not like they're creating new, high quality models and new animations for each Pokemon, or even having Pokemon follow you.

I was super excited for the games, but this has almost single handedly killed my hype for them. And if this is how they're doing the franchise going forward, it may have killed my hype for the franchise in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.