• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For me, I see it as the game having so many aspects that I associate with the genre, so I can't see why I couldn't be one.
I don't really have to rely on what the internet says about that. :)

Do P&C adventure games necessarily have to follow a certain perspective and puzzle style?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I see it as the game having so many aspects that I associate with the genre, so I can't see why I couldn't be one.
I don't really have to rely on what the internet says about that. :)

Do P&C adventure games necessarily have to follow a certain perspective and puzzle style?
Pointing and clicking at things would be a nice start, lacking that perhaps clear gameplay mechanics from classical adventure games, like combining items, or using items to solve puzzles.
A 3D game where all you do is walk around, and connect dots in your head to put into a book ... is pretty far removed from my idea of an adventure game.
It's great, but it's "just" a puzzle game. I also don't think of say, The Witness as an adventure game.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing and clicking at things would be a nice start, lacking that perhaps clear gameplay mechanics from classical adventure games, like combining items, or using items to solve puzzles.
A 3D game where all you do is walk around, and connect dots in your head to put into a book ... is pretty far removed from my idea of an adventure game.
It's great, but it's "just" a puzzle game. I also don't think of say, The Witness as an adventure game.

There's not pointing&clicking in Obra Dinn? Kinda feel that there is.

The notion that puzzles have to be of a certain established form is something I feel is a big reason (of many) as to why the P&C genre in general is so very mediocre. Most devs really aren't that good at puzzle designs today, and Monkey Island 1&2 are still shining examples of the variation in puzzles these games can have. And Obra Dinn's fate solving is something I also feel is very closely connected.

It's really not that important exactly what genre the game is in, but it's interesting to think a bit about it.

I spent some time getting Edith Finch to run... Finally in the game (heureka!) I thought to myself, maybe controller would feel a little nicer. No, game doesn't recognize it. Can Xinputemu help as it has done before? Nope. And everything Google offers is related to Steam Client Settings - and I bought it from GoG so... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Well whatever, don't mind anymore, it got quiet late already for me, hopefully it still runs tomorrow, and then I can finally play it.

What Remains of Edith Finch gave me quite the struggle.
As mentioned it took some time until I got it to run, controller wasn't possible (but mouse + keyboard is fine, although sometimes you notice, it's meant for controller), and then it gave me the hardest motion sickness I had in quite a while! Everything was fine in the beginning, but when I reached Molly and hopped around in the trees, from one moment to another my stomach bailed out. I had to take a break and continued playing with reticle on. That white spot is kinda ugly and tend to cover the writing, but it did help a bit. I still paused after every chapter, but it got better, so that I didn't have to anymore after a while.
Regarding the gameplay, I really liked it. That's what I'm often missing in this genre. Strolling around the house was a lot more fun than Gone Home e.g. Every room has its own idea and mechanic and surprises you. In general everything was so full of details, I really took my sweet time exploring every inch. I even restarted, when I had entered the house and couldn't go back outside, cause I hadn't seen there everything yet.
So on this side, I was pretty happy with the game.
Controlling the frog in the tub was a nightmare, he never jumped as I wanted to.
The multitasking in the factory was most fastcinating, and how you chop fishs in the daydream as well.
But the story didn't get through to me. I didn't know much, just how moving it is said to be, and that death is a big plotpoint. But I didn't feel there was really much to tell. Just some single stories, wich seemed rather odd sometimes, and were losely connected. I didn't get the feeling we're talking about one big family here. Could have been just separate fates of different people with the house just being sold from one to another. There was something missing, even if I can't put my finger on it exactly.
You are meant to think of the family curse, I expected a congenital disease, but in the end, nearly every death is nothing more than an accident, sometimes even rather stupid. No mystery, just bad luck. I have really mixed feelings when a game fools you into believing in a bigger thing, but everything turns out pretty flat. Exactly like Gone Home, that's filled with horror chliches, or Firewatch. I tend to feel fooled in the end, and I don't like that.
I thought, they would show how the familiy deals with the fate of an invevitable death cause of the disease. You could despair or live life to the fullest. Or everything in between. But it's mostly just an accident. Some are pretty gruesome, and I would wonder how the rest of the family dealt with the guilt, but that is always just a small part of the story and mostly not in the focus.
We have Molly, send to bed without dinner, so she eats stuff in her room, making her hallucinate and die. What must the mother have felt like the next day?
Same goes for the baby who drunks in the tub. The parents get divorced over it, it seems, but nothing more is mentioned.
What is the whole story around Walter? They really let him live there for years? Seriously?
Every now and then it's mentioned, how everyone moved out of the house rather quick, to get away from the memories, and Edith talks about her mom and grandma in this regard quite often. But every other person is just like a stranger without a real impact and no connection. How did it come to this? What happend afterwards? That's mostly not mentioned, everything only works for the moment.
And Edith being 17 years old and already pregnant. Yeah, didn't surprised me too much, but I'm not a fan of teenage moms. And what? She died giving birth? Why? What about her mom? What was the cause of her sickness? It feels like the story doesn't tell me, what interests me the most.
So because of the gameplay, I enjoyed it more than other narrative games, that tend to focus more on walking. But the story wasn't really mine once more.
But it really is a beautiful house in a beautiful area! That would be one hell of a place for summer vacation..! :3

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel what Edith Finch is lacking is context.
If it began with Odin Finch, and explained the origin and hinted at the nature of the curse, then there could have been a red thread that could tie all those disparate fates together. Perhaps end with Edith breaking the curse somehow, I dunno.
As it stands, it feels really rather meaningless as a single story.
Still, it works well as a game, I found. In that sense it might be the first "walking simulator" that is all about gameplay, with rather poorly working narrative elements, as opposed to most of these games where it's exactly the other way around. Was a blast to play through it. Finished it in one sitting.

I think the walking sim that enraged me most was Everybody's Gone to Rapture. It's really just this: walk around in a veeery slow pace and encounter a story, that's pretty much dumb. That was a village full of idiots, I hated them all! The only one a bit likeable was that woman, who investigated the phenomen. All the other people – it seemed not a bad thing that they were gone. :P

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I think the walking sim that enraged me most was Everybody's Gone to Rapture. It's really just this: walk around in a veeery slow pace and encounter a story, that's pretty much dumb. That was a village full of idiots, I hated them all! The only one a bit likeable was that woman, who investigated the phenomen. All the other people – it seemed not a bad thing that they were gone. :P
While I do wish the movement speed wasn't so slow, I thought the story (and music and world) was phenomenal. One of my favorite games this gen.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
nice looking forward to more P&C on the switch, it's currently my only chance to actualy play stuff.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
There's not pointing&clicking in Obra Dinn? Kinda feel that there is.

The notion that puzzles have to be of a certain established form is something I feel is a big reason (of many) as to why the P&C genre in general is so very mediocre. Most devs really aren't that good at puzzle designs today, and Monkey Island 1&2 are still shining examples of the variation in puzzles these games can have. And Obra Dinn's fate solving is something I also feel is very closely connected.

It's really not that important exactly what genre the game is in, but it's interesting to think a bit about it.

Yeah Monkey Island 1&2 had really varied and interesting puzzles, and more I just really liked how those games were structured too, there was usually a few things you could work on if you got stuck in a specific puzzle for example the three trials in the original you could do in any order, or the Big Whoop map pieces in MI2.

MI2 is still my favorite adventure game to this day.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Just take note that while Munt is generally a good facsimile of MT-32 (nowadays at least), you're missing on a lot of stuff by just using SC-55 soundfont.
The actual piece of hardware had some additional effects.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Are there any good tutorials online or other resources about soundfonts, acquiring them, and configuring them? I'm curious to know more.

Just take note that while Munt is generally a good facsimile of MT-32 (nowadays at least),

Yeah Munt's pretty good lately. Set it up and configured DOSBox to use it and Sierra games sound just as good as the Quest Studio versions that were done with the actual hardware.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
In Fate of Atlantis, how do you reach Atlnatis while in the sub? I'm in the Team route I have no idea WTF I am supposed to do get this damned sub to reach its destination.

EDIT: Oh joy, I FINALLY got past it. Spent 30 minutes just rotating that stupid lever right and left just to get this stupid ass sprite to go into the airlock. This has to be the WORST and most dull part of the game. WHo the hell thought this'd be fun? I'd get more entertainment out of the various ways I'd die in a Sierra games than doing this, least I'd get a chuckle for the funky ways I could die in those games.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
In Fate of Atlantis, how do you reach Atlnatis while in the sub? I'm in the Team route I have no idea WTF I am supposed to do get this damned sub to reach its destination.
I think I did it on the Team route as well. The idea is to get control of the sub (puzzle solving!), and after that make sure the sub gets there.
This hint guide might help you,
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/indy4/681.php
Since you are asking here, I assume you are fine with something like this.

(also, what's up with your ava, didn't notice it was you at first, lol)

EDIT: Oh joy, I FINALLY got past it. Spent 30 minutes just rotating that stupid lever right and left just to get this stupid ass sprite to go into the airlock. This has to be the WORST and most dull part of the game. WHo the hell thought this'd be fun?
Oh my gosh, I remember having a hard time with that as well. I had no idea how to control the sub and couldn't see that it moves closer to you or more into the backround. That was so damn weird and not good discribed in the guide we had either. Spent a long time there until I figured it out. (But when you know how it works, in the later playthroughs it was no big deal anymore.)

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Spaceventure yet lives

Before you ask, they are still working on the lip flaps

Are there any good tutorials online or other resources about soundfonts, acquiring them, and configuring them? I'm curious to know more.

SGM-V2.01
WeedsGM3
ChoriumRevA
Arachno
Ultimate Megadrive Soundfont

are some good ones.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TbLOvr6GwqrxteWH8RD7Z7Q7t8q-vsIe

unpack with http://www.personalcopy.com/sfpack.htm

Regarding tutorials, you're probably better off asking at vogons.

EDIT: Oh joy, I FINALLY got past it. Spent 30 minutes just rotating that stupid lever right and left just to get this stupid ass sprite to go into the airlock. This has to be the WORST and most dull part of the game. WHo the hell thought this'd be fun? I'd get more entertainment out of the various ways I'd die in a Sierra games than doing this, least I'd get a chuckle for the funky ways I could die in those games.

This was the hardest puzzle in the game for me.

The big problem is I didn't have a clue where the airlock was lol. I think I first thought it was the stone structure in the foreground, and then the tiny little hole in the background in the tower

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Spaceventure yet lives

Before you ask, they are still working on the lip flaps

SGM-V2.01
WeedsGM3
ChoriumRevA
Arachno

are some good ones.

This was the hardest puzzle in the game for me.

The big problem is I didn't have a clue where the airlock was lol. I think I first thought it was the stone structure in the foreground, and then the tiny little hole in the background in the tower

Assuming those soundfonts aren't for use with MUNT, just toss them into the SCUMMVM directory folder or just create a folder in it and put all the fonts in there.
'Edit' a game and at the audio options you can choose a soundfont.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming those soundfonts aren't for use with MUNT, just toss them into the SCUMMVM directory folder or just create a folder in it and put all the fonts in there.
'Edit' a game and at the audio options you can choose a soundfont.

For scummvm you have to select fluidsynth too iirc

It probably won't accept a lot of the samples though. You'd need to install something like VirtualmidiSynth and choose that.

Last edited:
LttP Kathy Rain. Spoiler: Nice game!
It's not even looking like a Wadjet Eye game, it also reminded me strongly of the Blackwell series in terms of characters, story and things like the notepad. (And a bit of Gray Matter too, characterwise.)

The voice acting is nice, I liked the characters and their relationship, especially Kathy and Eileen. On the other hand I'm not sure why they made those stereotype jokes with the hacker and IT nerd.
The story got me good as well. It has some flaws here and there, but I was fine with overlooking it. It's just a bit strange that the story of Kathy's family is told this stuttered. It's adressed the whole time, I even have a choice how to answer to it, but I don't really know what's the deal. I always chose to talk about it, just to get to know more.

The gameplay consits more of talking to NPCs and gathering of information - what fits the subtile "A Detective is Born" and it was fun without a doubt. You have to think how to contact whom, what to ask and show to what person. Towards the end they go more into classic PnC style with more combining items n stuff, what I really appriciate.
Distracting someone with the help of the bum is a bit too often, but I loved stuff like using the computer programs or the thermometer.
I had a feeling they overdid it sometimes with the hotspots. Nearly every thing you see in the backround can be at least looked at.

One thing that completely triggered me though was the graphic. I love retro pixel look and it has some really nice shots (the portraits or the sky at the cemetery e.g.), but often they used real life photos (and textures) and just used a filter to make it look like pixels. Like a jpg with low resolution made bigger. That doesn't fit the rest at all and makes the real "handmade" pixel stuff stand out.

But I had a lot of fun with it (up to 6 hours long) and I'd like the dev to go on.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
SGM-V2.01
WeedsGM3
ChoriumRevA
Arachno

are some good ones.

unpack with http://www.personalcopy.com/sfpack.htm

Another great Soundfont for older games that has recently appeared is Fatboy. I've been using it in conjunction with Virtualmidisynth for both ScummVM and DOSBox (and Winamp just to listen to midis) and I think it's great. I prefer using it over MT-32 in Fate of Atlantis and some other games that support both General Midi and MT-32, it's really that good:
https://fatboy.site/

It originated on the ScummVM forums:
https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14541&start=135

Get VirtualmidiSynth from here:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Example:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Another great Soundfont for older games that has recently appeared is Fatboy. I've been using it in conjunction with Virtualmidisynth for both ScummVM and DOSBox (and Winamp just to listen to midis) and I think it's great. I prefer using it over MT-32 in Fate of Atlantis and some other games that support both General Midi and MT-32, it's really that good:
https://fatboy.site/

Just tried it, seems pretty good.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Thank you everyone for the soundfont info, much appreciated and it looks like I have things to look into.

But I had a lot of fun with it (up to 6 hours long) and I'd like the dev to go on.

Keep an eye on Whispers of a Machine. That's the developer's next project and a collaboration with the developers on The Samaritan Paradox.

Keep an eye on Whispers of a Machine. That's the developer's next project and a collaboration with the developers on The Samaritan Paradox.
Oops, the whole time I remembered Samaritan as a Wadjet Eye game for reasons. :O
I'm a bit torn; I didn't like Samaritan's story too much, but the gameplay worked. On the other hand I'm not a fan of multiple endings and "change the story with your actions".
But it looks gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
What are people's hype levels for Mage's Initiation? I'm thinking of making an OT for it as it feels like it's one of the bigger AGS releases this year, but I don't want to be the only one in it :)
Late, but I'll be there. Can't believe this thing is actually releasing after like a decade since it's original announcement. I think there's a fair amount of folks on the forum that would be interested if an OT was created and the thread title mentioned QfG.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Late, but I'll be there. Can't believe this thing is actually releasing after like a decade since it's original announcement. I think there's a fair amount of folks on the forum that would be interested if an OT was created and the thread title mentioned QfG.

I'm starting it tonight, if it feels like it's going to be a good time I'll consider making a thread

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Whatre your prefered graphics and filter options for scummvm 2.0 or nightly releases.
Fullscreen, opengl, aspect ratio correction and pixel-perfect scaling..If pixel-perfect scaling scaled to very small image (depends on your monitor and game resolutions) i just leave it to Fit to window (+filter graphics option, helps a little with "high-res" 3d-rendered games, like Riven)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Fullscreen, opengl, aspect ratio correction and pixel-perfect scaling..If pixel-perfect scaling scaled to very small image (depends on your monitor and game resolutions) i just leave it to Fit to window (+filter graphics option, helps a little with "high-res" 3d-rendered games, like Riven)
Tha ks will test that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
How am I supposed to use that Fatboy Soundfont btw? Do I just add it into SCUMMVM to the game and it'll auto use it?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
How am I supposed to use that Fatboy Soundfont btw? Do I just add it into SCUMMVM to the game and it'll auto use it?
For individual games (click Edit Game...)
l5vVUQF.png

4Y5vmo3.png

For all games click Options... (not recommended, some games sounds better with MT-32..)
H8zHvPv.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
D'oh forgot to turn on fluidsynth no wonder the few games I tested din't use it XP

edit: Oooooh the intro for Fate of Atlantis sounds nice in it. Though the 'bells' feel awkward.

...but man this Fatboy soundfont is neat :O

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Fate of Atlantis music is composed for MT-32

Wasn't it actually composed for General Midi and then just remapped to MT32 for the final game (like Day of the Tentacle)?

It's definitely correct that the original game never supported GM, but ScummVM makes it possible to use true GM and most of the compositions are simple enough that they work really well either way (there are a few annoying exceptions like the chirping birds in the jungle at the beginning that sound off in GM, but almost everything else sounds much better than MT32 with a good soundfont IMHO)

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on tastes, i generally dislike bloated soundfonts and prefer to play with music how it was intended to sound (with Mt-32 emulator or Roland SCVA)
Fate of Atlantis only supports Adlib or Roland MT-32 music (like Monkey Island 1-2), Day of the Tentacle have general midi support out of box and more. So the only debate in Fate of Atlantis if music sounds better in fm synth or roland mt-32, but not on general midi of course 😜