• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Imagine GTA VI with larger, richer worlds without traditional limitations. Seamless and dynamic, with near-instantaneous travel.

Sounds like Cerny made the right decision.
The PS5's SSD isn't gonna have much impact on 3rd party games beyond loading times because they still have to take XSX and PC into account. The only games which are gonna take full advantage of the SSD are PS5 exclusives.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
are you saying ps5 is cheaper than series x? And that 3rd party games will look better on ps5?
No, but once more concrete details are out, a more concise picture is formed. And I honestly don't know how games will compare between the two, but I highly doubt you'll put them side by side and think "Geez, PS5 version looks like ass".

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get there's disappointment in some of the details today (backwards compatibility) and some weaker aspects compared to Series X, but I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price, the physical system itself, launch titles and other games coming to the platform and how great they look, this will all be a fleeting memory. It's just a waiting game now.

Yes. The pendulum will swing back eventually.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
You're really going to be disappointed at the end of the day if you think the PS5 version is going to be bigger or more dynamic than the XSX version.

care to tell us one multiplat game that has this huge difference on any console ever? :)

it's gonna be the same game, like the pro/X versions on the xbox1/ps4 base. ps5 might have faster to no loads, that's all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
care to tell us one multiplat game that has this huge difference on any console ever :)

it's gonna be the same game, like the pro/X versions on the xbox1/ps4 base.

I know. That's exactly what I was saying. Expecting developers to make an entirely distinct PS5 version of every multiplatform game is absurd.

Oct 25, 2017
Do what you want. The point is that at the end of the day they have to sell this to as many people as possible and their marketing is doing a terrible job of telling anyone who wasn't already on board with buying a PS5 why they HAVE to get one.

I have been waiting MONTHS for Sony to give me even a hint of why I should bother with their console next gen, and this announcement has changed nothing.

I'm still on board to get one at some point only became they are my favorite publisher. Those launch games better be legendary though or I'm going X first.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Do what you want. The point is that at the end of the day they have to sell this to as many people as possible and their marketing is doing a terrible job of telling anyone who wasn't already on board with buying a PS5 why they HAVE to get one.

I have been waiting MONTHS for Sony to give me even a hint of why I should bother with their console next gen, and this announcement has changed nothing.

I understand that you are disappointed with what you saw, but do you really think this is the PS5 marketing ad? This was more of a developer talk. We will shortly get the announcement to the masses regarding the games, DS5 and other features that were not mentioned. I repeat, of course, if what you expected is to see games you will not be happy. But the duality of is great / trash seems very unreasonable to me.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I get there's disappointment in some of the details today (backwards compatibility) and some weaker aspects compared to Series X, but I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price, the physical system itself, launch titles and other games coming to the platform and how great they look, this will all be a fleeting memory. It's just a waiting game now.
Do you know the final design of PS5 ? :P

But yeah huge disappointment by this communication, a big mistake has been made today

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
No, but once more concrete details are out, a more concise picture is formed. And I honestly don't know how games will compare between the two, but I highly doubt you'll put them side by side and think "Geez, PS5 version looks like ass".

Lol nah, never said that. My biggest wish was bc and it seems lacking which is why I bought most 3rd parties on xbox. I'm just thinking big picture

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised by PS5 specs reception in this forum,has been mostly tame,I was expecting a lot of meltdowns especially here,but I think most of us understand the final hardware is great,not as powerful as the Xbox but still great and the games again will be the most important,the good thing I take from that is Sony will have to run and delivery more quality games and content to counter Series X,Microsoft is not joking,competition is always good.

Oct 25, 2017
The same way y'all say the ppl that aren't to happy need to take a break...maybe it's indeed y'all that need a break. Cuz you can't say anything bad bout playstation up in here

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
A summary of Sony's backwards compatibility messaging these last two weeks:

"PS5's BC is a work in progress while our competitor's is virtually fully fleshed out. We're looking at your CODs, Maddens and Fortnites and all of these should be playable. We understand a lot of fans really want to see full BC or even enhancements to legacy PlayStation games. We hear you and we get it - 7 years of spending on our ecosystem might be important to those select few dedicated fans. For that reason, we're pleased to announce Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, arriving this summer. At 4K/60 with ultrawide support, it will be the definitive version of one of your favorite PlayStation Classics! Our team over at Guerrilla has more to come on that. You can expect to see more legacy PlayStation games receive similar, quality treatment on the PC."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on board to get one at some point only became they are my favorite publisher. Those launch games better be legendary though or I'm going X first.

I'm kind of at the point where unless Sony first party completely changes their focus in a direction that I'm interested in (RPGs, etc), I'm probably out. I'm not gonna buy an XSX because I do not have any interest in the Xbox platform, so I'll either wait for a huge sale on the PS5 or just bail on the generation entirely.

I've really seen absolutely zero reason to believe that going PS5 only will be a good bet for next gen and I don't get paid enough to build a gaming PC to go along with it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Given the initial reactions, I expect SIE to go back into silent mode until around GoT releases and then do a proper PS5 reveal in June or July with games and demos showing how capable the PS5 is.

Last edited:

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I am surprised by PS5 specs reception in this forum,has been mostly tame,I was expecting a lot of meltdowns especially here,but I think most of us understand the final hardware is great,not as powerful as the Xbox but still great and the games again will be the most important,the good thing I take from that is Sony will have to run and delivery more quality games and content to counter Series X,Microsoft is not joking,competition is always good.

If Sony had shown something like Hellblade 2, people would have been much calmer. It was a bad idea to "start" the whole PS5 life with a presentation that didn't even have a tech demo.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Given the initial reactions, I expect SIE to got backing into silent mode until around GoT releases and then do a proper PS5 reveal in June or July with games and demos showing how capable the PS5 is.
Yep, people are going to riot until June. At least all the big hitters are releasing starting this friday so people won't be too thirsty for news.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

Just one question, if I may?

Have you been lucky enough to have a glimpse at the physical system itself...

Oct 25, 2017
The same way y'all say the ppl that aren't to happy need to take a break...maybe it's indeed y'all that need a break. Cuz you can't say anything bad bout playstation up in here

it's fine to be disappointed. How people in this thread have come to the conclusion that devs won't use the SSD is insane. Devs are happy with the hardware even Jason who ripped the entire showing is screaming how integral the SSDis which i assume he's heard expressed from devs.
Yet you have armchair devs in here saying the complete opposite.

disappointment is one thing. Outright pessimism and just saying anything is a completely different matter.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
RDR2 looks way better on X. What are you talking about?

b6c.gif

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony had shown something like Hellblade 2, people would have been much calmer. It was a bad idea to "start" the whole PS5 life with a presentation that didn't even have a tech demo.
This presentation was a complete fuck-up from a marketing pov and Sony should feel embarrassed right now. God the lack of just some bare minimum of footage to show off said features is infuriating. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to show this to the public?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that when we'll see the games and the console itself we might forget most of the current disappointment, but i really hope that the proper reveal event won't be just two or three months before the launch with nothing else in the middle, because that's what i fear right now.

Either way getting no BC for anything than big AAA online service games would still be an huge letdown for a lot of people here.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
except that they make the games and present in a impressive way for the average consumer? would you rather that we were impressed and the actual devs with the devkits not? that yes, would be concerning.

when people see Horizon 2 and Demon's Souls remake they will be blown away and rush to buy Ps5, the specs will be long forgotten.
I hope so. But certainly, there are so much better and many multiple ways to reveal the specs other than what we got. It technically wasn't a GDC presentation after all, since most of the audiences were consumers.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
So rock bottom would be 499 with Sony trying to sell us Remastered versions of TLOU 2 and GoT as launch titles correct?

At least I don't think we are that point yet. So we have something to look forward to NOT happening.

Don't you dare bookmark this

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How are you coming these conclusions? They've haven't showed any software yet running on the hardware.

Years and years and years and years of precedent. Developers are not going to build completely distinct versions of multiplatform games to take advantage of specific hardware features. We know this. It's been the same every generation.

GTAVI isn't going to have a bigger map on one platform or the other. Things like that aren't going to happen.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
More Flops would have been nice, but as always, games are what matter most.

And I'm fairly disappointed that they can't guarantee that all PS4's games are compatible.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's the part that's so confusing. Why put all their eggs in one basket that basically requires developers completely rethink how they make games in ways they can't replicate on other hardware? It does feel arrogant, like developers are just gonna go "man I want to play with that SSD" and SKIP the XSX and PC.

No sane publisher would agree to that.

Multiplats might be a bit better on the Series X and (obviously) high end PC, but it seems like most Playstation gamers care about exclusives. I'm sure Cerny talked to them, asked them what they thought was important, and that was the very fast SSD.

______

What I'm confused about, is if Sony is entering the PC space. If people (including me) are theorizing Sony is making games that are "only possible on PS5" with its insanely fast SSD speeds, does that mean they aren't planning on porting games to PC in the future?

Then I gotta ask what's the point of porting Horizon to PC, maybe their trying to entice some of those gamers to get a PS5? Idk.

I originally thought they were using Horizon Zero Dawn as a test to see the PC market, sales, etc. And in the future possibly port PS5 games a year or two down the line to PC. But if you need a insanely fast SSD to run games on PC, that would limit the market/audience who would buy the game, so idk.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong?

Sep 23, 2019
Yup
To some people here this is a feel good Sony Zone
Only positive stuff allowed and negative stuff/criticism is met with comments like "more people to put in my ignore list" and other comments
Sony really shit the bed today and now it will be another 4-5 months of silence until the next ps5 News and probably bad Pr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
What if they show the games on State Of Plays? 🤣
Everyone already thinks they will have at least one big event before the release to show features and games.

Oct 25, 2017
Also was it just me or did Jim Ryan look really haggard at the start of that video? Like someone under a lot of stress and not getting much sleep?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of at the point where unless Sony first party completely changes their focus in a direction that I'm interested in (RPGs, etc), I'm probably out. I'm not gonna buy an XSX because I do not have any interest in the Xbox platform, so I'll either wait for a huge sale on the PS5 or just bail on the generation entirely.

I've really seen absolutely zero reason to believe that going PS5 only will be a good bet for next gen and I don't get paid enough to build a gaming PC to go along with it.

So in the end, after all is said and done, if Sony don't impress you with PS5 properly at some point, it sounds like you'll what... quit gaming?

I doubt that somehow.

I'm pretty you'll be here when PS5 is released, having bought one and still finding things to complain about. (😉)

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It hard to say as thing gets worse each day. I guess they can do what SE did,but wont to be hard to market during this time?

Obviously billboards and such won't be able to happen, but they can still do TV spots and ads online. I know some have brought up the idea of marketing a game about an outbreak while we're having one, but TLoU's story really isn't about that so much. It's not like Resident Evil where the entire story revolves around the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.