• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Fuuuuck I can't wait

even tales trynna come back hard
tales-of-arise-announced.jpg

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
next gen may be the rise of JRPGs with some studios rising and new studios making crazy looking games

toss in that CPU boost and SSD and we are in for something good

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I agree 100% with everyone arguing in favor of Sony making JRPGs. They really should. I'd be happy with AA and AAA. Sony has the money and talent necessary to make some great new IPs and revive old ones.

They could also stand to give us more multiplayer games like they did last gen.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree 100% with everyone arguing in favor of Sony making JRPGs. They really should. I'd be happy with AA and AAA. Sony has the money and talent necessary to make some great new IPs and revive old ones.

Shu and Shawn Layden both said they will make more 1st party multiplayer games. So it's coming. Predator: Hunting Grounds, for example, is one. So the support/improvement is already coming.
Now it's time for a JRPG, too ;)

Oct 25, 2017

They have already said they are going harder on MP. I expect the TLOU2 MP and GG's second project to MAJOR projects. Demon's Souls remake will definitely have MP. Would not be surprised if Housemarque's AAA project has co-op too. I don't want them leaning too far into that though. Just enough for variety. I prefer single player games.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
What are you even talking about? Kh is an action rpg...whys it so difficult for you to say jrpgs Have been successful
Kingdom Hearts III is basically a linear string of action stages where the RPG elements take a back seat. Most games have adopted a bit of RPG progression systems these days so the line isn't as firm as it used to be. I also didn't say it wasn't an RPG. Personally, I'd recommend it primarily to Disney fans and those who like action games. Same with Borderlands 2, I would recommend it to those who like first person shooters primarily.

I don't think a game playing like Kingdom Hearts III is what people ask for when they say "JRPG" either. Many JRPG fans probably like the series though, especially considering the FF crossovers and art.

Plenty of successful JRPGs out there on consoles, even outside FF, DQ, KH and Pokémon. Many mid-budget ones are absolutely performing well relative their budgets too. Persona 5 was a smash hit for Atlus. Ni no kuni seemingly performed incredibly well on the PS3. It's pretty rare with big hits though unless we compare them relatively to other JRPGs or other games from these companies. Same with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 2. Few new IPs have been able to establish themselves as anything other than niche. Sony's JRPG IPs are niche. Gaming has become a lot more popular on consoles but JRPGs haven't.

Read the post of yours above the one I mentioned Oreshika in. "We got ZERO JRPGs in the last 10 years."

Not really up for debate whether or not that's wrong regardless of what you have posted in the past. Not sure why you are so hung up on it. Say "I meant console JRPGs and I figured you had seen my earlier post where I said that" instead of acting like a clown. You being wrong in that post I replied to is not up for debate.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have already said they are going harder on MP. I expect the TLOU2 MP and GG's second project to MAJOR projects. Demon's Souls remake will definitely have MP. Would not be surprised if Housemarque's AAA project has co-op too. I don't want them leaning too far into that though. Just enough for variety. I prefer single player games.
I think Arrowheads upcoming AAA 3rd person co-op shooter will be a Sony game, too :)
Read the post of yours above the one I mentioned Oreshika in. "We got ZERO JRPGs in the last 10 years."
Yeah I know what I said when the JRPG topic started. Stuff like:
The last 1st party JRPG on consoles launched ~10 years ago.
It's okay to be wrong Clive. And it's okay to move on. I really have no reason to talk to a guy who calls JRPGs mediocre, not important games to the industry and the PS brand etc. But it was kinda funny tho. Not gonna lie.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Shu and Shawn Layden both said they will make more 1st party multiplayer games. So it's coming. Predator: Hunting Grounds, for example, is one. So the support/improvement is already coming.
Now it's time for a JRPG, too ;)
Predator is definitely a start on that front. Hope next gen brings us plenty of multi and JRPGs.
I'm pretty even in my preference these days. I love single player games just as much as multi, especially co-op. Some multi games (like Borderlands or Destiny) can be played solo, but I don't find them as fun in that way.

--

Also, that reminds me. I'm not sure if it was FF7, 8, or 9, but one of them would let you fight in co-op. I def remember me and a friend controlling different characters in battle with a second controller plugged in.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to be wrong Clive. And it's okay to move on. I really have no reason to talk to a guy who calls JRPGs mediocre, not important games to the industry and the PS brand etc. But it was kinda funny tho. Not gonna lie.
I have never called JRPGs mediocre or unimportant to the games industry. Practice reading comprehension before replying to me again. You undeniably said the blatantly false "We got ZERO JRPGs in the last 10 years." and it seems you can't admit to this so it might be a big issue for you.

Currently playing Vagrant Story on my Vita and I finished the Royal Edition of Final Fantasy XV on the Xbox One earlier today. My user name is to a degree because of a character in the Suikoden franchise. That does not make Wild Arms mainstream.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never called JRPGs mediocre or unimportant to the games industry. Practice reading comprehension before replying to me again. You undeniably said the blatantly false "We got ZERO JRPGs in the last 10 years." and it seems you can't admit to this so it might be a big issue for you.
Dude, no issue. Next time read my post I posted directly to you. Stuff like:
It has been ~10 years since the last 1st party console JRPG.
And you will know what I meant. Practice reading comprehension before replying to me again. In the end, nobody was talking about the Vita. It's not difficult to get that.
Time to move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Who remembers that time when copies of Uncharted 4 were stolen while in transit a week before release? Hopefully, that won't happen with TLOU2.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I can picture Insomniac making a kickass RPG in the JRPG mold.

But that could just be because they're firmly in "I'd trust them to make pretty much anything" territory for me :P

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just assume this thread is full of playstation fans that bought a playstation pass 2010 at this point. It's one thing to not care about jrpgs but the way some of y'all act toward them is really weird. The fact a big multi page debate needs to be brought up everytime says it all.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now one is not enough, we want multiple JRPG's.

Love to see it.
I'm fine with 1 every 3 years 😊👍
About 300 plus dollars. It was so bad that Yoshida got the police involved.
Yeah 😂 Absolutey insane.
I just assume this thread is full of playstation fans that bought a playstation pass 2010 at this point. It's one thing to not care about jrpgs but the way some of y'all act toward them is really weird. The fact a big multi page debate needs to be brought up everytime says it all.
Well said.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I want a R&C RPG. Just give me more of the same from the last few (minus All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault) and I'll be happy.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I've said it before again & again way back, the reasons why Monolith Software & Nintendo succeeded are because they faithfully nurturing their series.

Xenoblades manage to go into 10+ years with every new game evolved, improved, bringing more sales & fans.

How could SIEJA do this when they don't even starting their own series old/new of the genre again?

It's really ironic they also relying a 3rd-party JRPG Persona series that is still ongoing for 24+ years because it's 'important to the PlayStation platform.'

And yet, somehow, it didn't motivate SIEJA to make their own.

Instead, shoving their own to mobiles just for miraculously hope a Grand Order situation coming to them...

Well one of their JRPG IP on mobile already ended service in February right?

What an amazing 'efforts' by them. /s

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I've said it before again & again way back, the reasons why Monolith Software & Nintendo succeeded are because they faithfully nurturing their series.

Xenoblades manage to go into 10+ years with every new game evolved, improved, bringing more sales & fans.

How could SIEJA do this when they don't even starting their own series old/new of the genre again?

It's really ironic they also relying a 3rd-party JRPG Persona series that is still ongoing for 24+ years because it's 'important to the PlayStation platform.'

And yet, somehow, it didn't motivate SIEJA to make their own.

Instead, shoving their own to mobiles just for miraculously hope a Grand Order situation coming to them...

Well one of their JRPG IP on mobile already ended service in February right?

What an amazing 'efforts' by them. /s
#Preach

We'll have to come to terms with the fact that leadership at PS just don't value this genre enough to invest in it in-house.

They've neglected it for nearly 2 decades now.

WWS hit the goldmine with their western studios and action/adventure games.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
#Preach

We'll have to come to terms with the fact that leadership at PS just don't value this genre enough to invest in it in-house.

They've neglected it for nearly 2 decades now.

WWS hit the goldmine with their western studios and action/adventure games.
While their Western games are their own, I wish the Eastern part could be more faithful to their own series like Nintendo...

In this harsh video game industry, I also realized that one of universal truth in it; which is 'if succeeded, then make a sequel' more/less.

SIEJA games often not like this unfortunately, so that's why their reliance on 'new IPs' was probably as one of the excuses.

Puppeteer sequel? No, new IP.

Soul Sacrifice sequel? You get only 1 expansion, new IP.

Freedom Wars? No, new IP.

Oreshika? No, new IP.

Gravity Rush? A remaster & a sequel is enough, new IP.

Arc the Lad & Wild Arms? LMAO, mobiles.

Rumored Toyama's new action/adventure? Cancelled, now rumored as horror game.

Astro Bot is SIEJA's current & latest success in a long time, a sequel? Doucet: rather make new IP.

2uA1.gif

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
While their Western games are their own, I wish the Eastern part could be more faithful to their own series like Nintendo...

In this harsh video game industry, I also realized that one of universal truth in it; which is 'if succeeded, then make a sequel' more/less.

SIEJA games often not like this unfortunately, so that's why their reliance on 'new IPs' was probably as one of the excuses.

Oreshika? No, new IP.

Astro Bot is SIEJA's current & latest success in a long time, a sequel? Doucet: rather make new IP.

2uA1.gif
In an industry that is rife with sequels, how is this a negative? SIEJ is a rather strange and experimental studio and I'm surprised Sony let them be as they are despite them not churning out big hits on their own.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does PlayStation Japan have a social media presence? PS2 hasn't been mentioned once today.
Also, these 2 years have been hard with no press conferences that I'm just worried about nothing. Sony better not do this again. If they continue with 4 state of plays a year then fuck.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ND should make an rpg next (Savage Starlight like how Mass Effect was), SMS jumped already did with God of War and GG with Horizon. I unironically love filling bars, getting loots, investing on skill trees, etc.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Oreshika? No, new IP.

2uA1.gif
How many of those games sold well?

Also, I would be surprised if we don't get another Astrobot, hopefully a longer more fleshed out game in the new PSVR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.