• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but I think Sony knows that. Playstation is worth well over 100 billion dollars.

I wouldn't want a lot of you in a foxhole with me. Playstation is a juggernaut brand and it can self-sustain in perpetuity as is. It was iconic before COD and it will be iconic long after COD is gone. The "Sony is doomed" posts are the thing of parody.

They absolutely, 100% can not. Not if they keep hemorrhaging integral third party games and the players who buy them. It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow or any time in the next three to five years, but if this continues at the pace Microsoft has set down they will be unable to meaningfully compete sooner than you might think.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony losing big third party games will lead to losing profit (software and hardware), and that will directly impact on the quality of their games and the money they can spend on their games.

This is not about if these acquisitions will be successful for MS or not, it's about the possibility of PS losing their ability to make more money to make these games on that picture.

People forget how massive sony's revenue from third parties is, thats what allows them to have studios that release one single player game every 5 years or so. Games that outside maybe spiderman, quickly get discounts.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Or buy 3rd party publishers and make them 1st party.
Just look at Microsoft.

I'm not so sure tbh. I'm sure they will have a huge meeting now. And I'm sure during the fiscal year report in February investors are going to ask them what they will do now to counter. Because they have to. Or they are fine with becoming the #3 in this industry. Remember "Welcome to the Third Place"?
It's happening now.
That's what I meant.

They need 3rd IP. MS is not giving them any choice but to buy them.

Jul 2, 2021
I have an opinion about all this, all I'll say is let's just wait n see how all this plays out. And wait n see as in 5-10 years from now.
lol, I will say when news like this happens....it starts to make some things clear.
Something HUGE happened today. Let people speculate. This is getting really interesting now. And many things will change. A huge shift in this industry.
So people have a lot to talk about now. Sharing opinions, speculating, discussions, that's what's all about in a forum. 🙂

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sony losing big third party games will lead to losing profit (software and hardware), and that will directly impact on the quality of their games and the money they can spend on their games.

This is not about if these acquisitions will be successful for MS or not, it's about the possibility of PS losing their ability to make more money to make these games on that picture.
This I do agree with.

Its the one area when ppl talk about game or console sales that get overlooked.

Selling less hardware could mean no more making hardware. Have seen this happen numerous times in the smartphone market.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
WB Games shouldn't even be in the conversation if a sale don't come with IPs like Mortal Kombat and Batman. There's a reason WB couldn't get any takers for their games division last year.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Oof, I expected some dooming and glooming in here but sounds like Sony's about to go out of business next week 😄

lol, it's providing me with a buttload of entertainment as I try to work. :)

But yeah, Sony's going to be just hunky dory when the dust settles. Those calling for Sony to be bought out or go third party or any nonsense like that need to really take some time to think about things before posting such nonsense.

Anyways, back on topic I can't wait to see what Sony's got lined up for us this year beyond the known and rumored stuff :D

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I think the comments saying "Sony is doomed" are hyperbolic and wrong, but it seems necessary for them to drop a bombshell of their own now. My suggestion (besides acquiring another major studio) would be to make the PlayStation 5 backwards compatible with PlayStation 1-4, but only time will tell.

That would do precisely nothing. Like literally nothing.

Sony need to look to the future. They need to get more developers and strong IPs to compete.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Something HUGE happened today. Let people speculate. This is getting really interesting now. And many things will change. A huge shift in this industry.
So people have a lot to talk about now. Sharing opinions, speculating, discussions, that's what's all about in a forum. 🙂
Yeah....and as always its not what you say but how you say it. 🙂

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is a strange take on morality/ethics to me. This isn't a game or a friendly competition. There aren't rules. It's a business and Microsoft made a smart business decision for them. Why is it disgusting?

To be clear. I don't like the decision. I don't own an Xbox. But I don't think it's a morally questionable decision to make a business acquisition. The idea that the game industry is a special creative space and you must "earn" your way into it by creating studios from the ground up seems like a rigid disconnected from reality perspective. I mean Sony buys studios all the time. Why is this different?
Well first of all, by "disgusting", I wasn't claiming the transaction is not moral. It just makes me sick that it's happening and it's going to continue to lead to bad things for the industry that I am passionate about. Second of all, if you think Sony's "buying of studios all the time" is anything close to the same situation as MS buying Activision Blizzard, then there is really no point discussing this with you anyway.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
lol, it's providing me with a buttload of entertainment as I try to work. :)

But yeah, Sony's going to be just hunky dory when the dust settles. Those calling for Sony to be bought out or go third party or any nonsense like that need to really take some time to think about things before posting such nonsense.

Anyways, back on topic I can't wait to see what Sony's got lined up for us this year beyond the known and rumored stuff :D

I do like Sony's current strategy of partnering with well known or experienced devs to create something new, but i think they need to spend 20 billion just to prevent people on here needing sedatives before the day is done.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Guilt somebody? WTF are you talking about?

We are not entitled to any future games to release on our preferred platform. Period.

It doesn't matter if the previous game in that franchise was released on our preferred platform.

The sooner people accept that the sooner they quit incorrectly framing that some business deal "took" these games from them.
Hi litebrite.

Thank you for your reply to my post. I don't quite know why you feel the need to be like that to people in this thread who are just expressing perfectly understandable emotional reactions to this, but that's OK.

I assume it makes you feel like you're, perhaps, better than those of us feeling like this in a way and, if so, that's great! I'm really impressed and glad that you're able to remain very rational about gaming matters like this. Truly I am.

But you can also just, you know, let people express their authentic reactions to the biggest gaming industry news for many years without posting the same condescending response to everyone who does. Just something to consider.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Time to dust off the old Shooters and Rpgs Sony.
Honestly, I'd love to see them try their hand at new RPGs and shooters. Killzone was fine but never great. Resistance was awesome, if they bring any back, I'd love that, but the truth is, PlayStation Studios encompasses quite a few of the most talented studios in the industry. We got exciting new IPs like Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima last gen, I'd love to see what new original stuff they can come up with.

Jul 2, 2021
Because people are bringing them up: I doubt anyone would acquire CDPR simply because they'd easily cost north of $6billion. That's an extremely steep price for a company which releases one or two games each generation.
But they would get GOG.com too. A PC platform too. To rival MS, Steam and Epic Games Store. Lol.
In terms of how it will actually affect Sony's business strategy none of us really know, but the takes sure are boiling hot.
No Call of Duty and all the other Activision Blizzard IPs? It hurts PlayStation a lot. Sony because of the money/revenue. And PlayStation gamers because they can't play these games anymore.
I wouldn't want a lot of you in a foxhole with me. Playstation is a juggernaut brand and it can self-sustain in perpetuity as is. It was iconic before COD and it will be iconic long after COD is gone. The "Sony is doomed" posts are the thing of parody.
Just to be honest here without trolling.
- PlayStation's bread and butter are 3rd party games. Money made on the PS Network. Two publishers are gone now. Call of Duty? GONE.
- Sony's first-party IPs are a JOKE compared to Nintendo's IPs and compared to Microsoft's IPs. Microsoft has 30+ AAA studios. Sony has 17. Some of them are Nixxes, PixelOpus, Asobi team and Valkyrie Entertainment.

And now they want to launch Spartacus to compete with Game Pass? With what IPs? A few 3rd party games and two blockbuster IPs once a year? And not even day 1?

Sony has to do something now. Now or never.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi litebrite.

Thank you for your reply to my post. I don't quite know why you feel the need to be like that to people in this thread who are just expressing perfectly understandable emotional reactions to this, but that's OK.

I assume it makes you feel like you're, perhaps, better than those of us feeling like this in a way and, if so, that's great! I'm really impressed and glad that you're able remain very rational about gaming matters like this. Truly I am.

But you can also just, you know, let people express their authentic reactions to the biggest gaming industry news for many years without posting the same condescending response to everyone who does. Just something to consider.
I understand being disappointed or upset. That's fine.

However, incorrectly assessing business deals due to viewing it through a limited and narrow console war lens will and should get called out.

Nobody took anything from you.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd love to see them try their hand at new RPGs and shooters. Killzone was fine but never great. Resistance was awesome, if they bring any back, I'd love that, but the truth is, PlayStation Studios encompasses quite a few of the most talented studios in the industry. We got exciting new IPs like Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima last gen, I'd love to see what new original stuff they can come up with.
Exactly. Those series are dead, time to move on.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
People actually think Sony doesn't know where their money comes from. SIE understands they rely on 3rd parties, the only thing is if Sony Group will foot the bill to continue a dominant position in the market. Sony isn't gonna let their platform whittle down to nothing and then just do nothing.

There are various shades of responses, ranging from an increase in small developer acquisitions, to large publishers. I think the plan is somewhere in the middle. Maybe one big publisher and sure up smaller developers to utilize the acquired IP to the fullest.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
The thing this already happened in the US market and calling it what if when MS is willing to spend any money is silly. It's not a question of if but when.

You realize that the X1 massively outsold the PS4 during Holiday 2014 right. PS5 outsold the XBS for the entire year, it's weird to fixate on December in which XBS squeaked by PS5. PS5 demand still greatly outstrips XBS demand. And XSX and PS5 are still supply constrained. Any XBS sales advantage when they take place are simply due to Stock.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish Sony would take a stab at the WRPG genre. It is one genre that they are severely lacking in. HZD is probably the closest they got.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Matt said something very interesting in the acquisition thread IMO:

Take that as you will.
Well yeah.
Sony makes like 4x the revenue and profit that Activision does.
If Activision is worth ~$70 billion, then SIE by itself is probably worth more than the entirety of Sony group's current market cap. They are likely incredibly undervalued as a whole.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
www.bloomberg.com

Microsoft Buys Scandal-Tainted Activision in Bet on Metaverse

Microsoft Corp. plans to buy Activision Blizzard Inc. for $68.7 billion, acquiring a legendary game publisher responsible for franchises like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, but recently roiled by claims of sexual misconduct and discrimination.

The deal will also likely face tough regulatory scrutiny in the U.S., where big technology companies are being probed by regulators for their reach and influence. China, which has been sparring with the U.S. already over technology issues, will also likely review the merger.

Kotick, who has led Activision for three decades, came under pressure to resign after an explosive report in the Wall Street Journal last fall that tied him personally to reports of mistreatment of women and suggested that he was aware for years of sexual misconduct, including rape, at the company but didn't report it to the board. Kotick has apologized and pledged to make changes.

In an interview, Kotick said the deal has nothing to do with the controversy surrounding Activision or calls for him to step down and that Spencer reached out to him last year. A person familiar with the discussions, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said Microsoft looked at Activision's situation, given all the negative attention and pressure on Kotick, and wondered if the beleaguered CEO would be willing to do a deal.

Kotick initially didn't want to sell, according to another person familiar with the talks, and also put the word out to see if any other company would outbid Microsoft. But at that point, Kotick had little leverage with his board amid the ongoing public scrutiny at his company.

Microsoft's bid is a 45% premium on Activision's closing price Friday. However, it's a bargain compared with the stock's performance in the first half of last year, before the sexual bias lawsuit plunged the company into crisis. The shares hit a high of more than $100 apiece in February and then lost nearly half their value by the end of the year. Microsoft shares fell about 2% Tuesday afternoon in New York.

Sad that when you think of it: If Kotick & co ran a normal "workplace" the price would probably be to steep for Microsoft (and there wouldnt be much reason to sell).

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They can have 5 more new IPs like Ghost of Tsushima and it won't even offset Call of Duty.
Sony already had to do something because of the Zenimax acquisition. But NOW after Activision-Blizzard is gone too... they have to do much more. Buying already exsting IPs. A publisher. Because you can BET Microsoft will buy another one. Maybe even a japanese one like Sega-Atlus. Phil mentioned a few times by now that he wants to do something in Japan.

Not talking about ghost alone but IP like GOW or HZD etc etc well over 10 million plus .
Plus if we talking making money 5 more ghost \HZD IP level would be worth way more to Sony than just 30% of COD if it DD.

Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Microsoft Corp. plans to buy Activision Blizzard Inc. for $68.7 billion, acquiring a legendary game publisher responsible for franchises like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, but recently roiled by claims of sexual misconduct and discrimination.

Sad that when you think of it: If Kotick & co ran a normal "workplace" the price would probably be to steep for Microsoft (and there wouldnt be much reason to sell).
Apparently Microsoft paid over 50% of the price of the stock and that still was way cheaper than if they had bought it before the scandal happened

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Whether we want to admit it or not, COD is a juggernaut on PS and it will absolutely cut into their bottom line. Maybe not now, but if/when it's exclusive to MSFT(Xbox/Windows) it's going to leave a crater.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are like that. Other people are sitting here going "STAY THE COURSE, SONY DOESN'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING" while blatantly ignoring the fact that this is now the second time in two years Microsoft has decided to buy a massive publisher out from underneath them.

100% realistically: Sony is not going to DIE or go out of business or whatever any time soon. But they HAVE TO react to this and soon or Microsoft will continue to buy out the ground beneath their feet until there's nothing left for them to stand on. That's the logical middle ground we face right now: you can't stick to business as usual when your competitor is blowing holes in your castle with a cannon, especially when they have infinite ammo.
The more massive publishers MS buys, the more intense the pressure will become to grow GP to a point in which it can sustain not only the tens of billions it costs to acquire such a publisher but also the fact that all these games will be available for free* on GP, all while they're in promo mode and still loss-leading. It's like a double-edged sword in that the more they spend, the more they actually lose - and I don't think "look at all this debt Netflix has" would be the right explanation to their shareholders. Especially if something like CoD remains on PlayStation in the short term because the deal hasn't closed yet. Sony has time to react, but probably won't in the way people on here expect them to. They'll do their own thing.

OmegaProtocol

Nov 19, 2017
People will not understand that.
They like to talk about warchest money.

Sony could easily make a deal with stocks/cash/debt to make a few acquisitions. Disney couldn't even buy Fox outright. The 70+ billion spend on Fox was raised in cash/stock. Disney is operating on a debt of about 40 billion. If it's deemed financially viable, a company will take on necessary debt.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Was just watching CNBC. They said Microsoft made this acquisition now to get out in front of other Big Tech companies. They said Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc, are all going to be competing in the future to make purchases for some of the last remaining major publishers to build out their own "metaverses".

CDPR, Roblox, EA, and Take Two were all mentioned as being potential acquisitions.

Sony is in serious jeopardy of getting locked out of far more IPs than those from Acvitision if they don't move. Their position in the future of gaming is on the line.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Between the scandals, Activision suck with a COD monster they can't properly support, and Blizzard projects seemingly stuck in the mud, that stock price dropped a lot. A-B could have been worth so much more right now.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Was just watching CNBC. They said Microsoft made this acquisition now to get out in front of other Big Tech companies. They said Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc, are all going to be competing in the future to make purchases for some of the last remaining major publishers to build out their own "metaverses".

CDPR, Roblox, EA, and Take Two were all mentioned as being potential acquisitions.

Sony is in serious jeopardy of getting locked out of far more IPs than those from Acvitision if they don't move. Their future in gaming is on the line.
giphy.gif

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Some people are like that. Other people are sitting here going "STAY THE COURSE, SONY DOESN'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING" while blatantly ignoring the fact that this is now the second time in two years Microsoft has decided to buy a massive publisher out from underneath them.

100% realistically: Sony is not going to DIE or go out of business or whatever any time soon. But they HAVE TO react to this and soon or Microsoft will continue to buy out the ground beneath their feet until there's nothing left for them to stand on. That's the logical middle ground we face right now: you can't stick to business as usual when your competitor is blowing holes in your castle with a cannon, especially when they have infinite ammo.

Perfect analogy that I agree with

Bethesda was a big loss but could be dealt with. Activision is a whole other can of worms, and more importantly, seems to highlight a fundamental shift in the way business is being conducted.

If Sony responds to this by buying another mid sized developer they've missed the memo. A proper response would be Take Two or EA. Unlikely I think most would agree, but this is what they need.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021

Sony is in serious jeopardy of getting locked out of far more IPs than those from Acvitision if they don't move. Their position in the future of gaming is on the line.
Cool Cool Cool, consolidation of the industry and wasting development houses for the "metaverse."

Status
Not open for further replies.