• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
You have been consistent on that front!

I think if Sony really wants to be relevant in entertainment, the eventual WBD is probably the best bet, to bolster SIE and SPE.

That's an option, though I agree with some analysts that Zaslav and Malone are hoping to build up WBD over the next few years and sell it piecemeal in the future for maximum profit. I plan to buy some new shares once the merger closes. You are right in your thinking and this would give Sony major IPs for gaming and scale in the streaming space circa 2027 when their current Pay 1/Pay 2 deals are set to expire. There'd be a huge amount of other bidders though, from Disney to Amazon to Netflix and others, and I doubt Sony would be able to get it all.

IMO Yoshida-san and Jimbo should be looking really hard at TTWO and EA if for no other reason because I think that'd be MS' next targets as well. We all see MS strategy now and it's to squeeze Sony. They want to be the leaders in gaming and are taking aggressive actions to achieve it. They want gamepass to be the Netflix of gaming and to own the living room space. XBox finally has access to the parent's company warchest. TTWO won't entertain anything until the closing of Zynga later this year, so EA looks mighty good right now.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, how many more publishers would MS have to buy for it to be considered a violation of the antitrust law?

The issue is how you frame something like this.

Console gaming is not something that "needs" protection and you are not likely to get much movement there. So you would need to show that Microsoft is purchasing so much of the market that competition is being stifled and consumers are harmed. I think with the PC and mobile space being so large - thats not likely to happen either.

Then you start to get into the "are videogames their own segment or part of "entertainment" - which is part of the Disney strategy for the Fox purchase.

For us this feels really bad and likely concerns all of us about the future of home console gaming - but for antitrust purposes there is nothing about this purchase that is corning a marketing. The real concern is when someone owns the distribution channels, sales channels and can force consumers into pricing structures they don't want. We're nowhere near something like that here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Sony right now:

nothing-left.gif

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
At this point Sony will be next on the purchase list. Thankfully I don't think it's possible as some law in Japan, seriously though this is worrying. This man Phil Spencer said he doesn't like exclusives a few years ago and it's bad for gaming, how does this fall In line with that way of thinking.
The amount of people taking PR talk as some sort of gospel is too high

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's not nonsense, you have to be beyond delusional to not think MS getting Bethesda and Activision isn't a massive deal. Sony will still be making money, but they're not going to be dominating the market like they have for 3/4 generations moving forward. Especially since at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if MS is targeting SquareEnix, Ubisoft, and EA next.

SE and PS are too much in bed with each other. But that would be such a weird thing to see like......really weird in regards with FFXIV.

I don't think we're seeing a now problem. And eventual one, yes. But it could all come down to how Sony responds to all of this. How long have they known about the AB purchase? Are there plans already going on with eyeing other publishers to buy? Weird times we live in I tell ya.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Microsoft would need to buy EA, Ubisoft, and Take-Two and probably a few more, then actively prevent new competition from entering the market to trigger antitrust legislation, I'm fairly certain. It's a difficult process and the US government is not really a big fan of enforcing it, especially with Republicans controlling a decent chunk of Congress.
So in other words MS could practically buy out all the major publishers without any legal trouble..

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of copium in this Thread. Xbox is now going to be the home of all genres and Microsoft dropping 70b$ shows that Sony wasn't even a competition. Microsoft was just stalling until they decided to open up their wallets.

Activision shares were more expensive than what Microsoft just bought them for before the meltdown they had with the sexual harassment

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So in other words MS could practically buy out all the major publishers without any legal trouble..

Gaming is not really that important of an industry that a monopoly would be destructive, unlike something like entertainment (Disney-Fox) or the home computer market in the '90s (Microsoft itself, ironically). And even in both of those situations the government let the buyouts go through.

There is very little MS could do in gaming that would force the government to intervene and shut them down.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Playstation is irrelevant in Japan, they moved to California for a reason, their 1s party games are west focused.
Don't get me wrong, they are going to feel this one for sure and lose market share in America, but I think they will be fine. At least I hope so, but they have to counter GP or this one. They can't keep silent because both of these are going to put MSFT in a very good position with gamers.

Last edited:

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
EA would not be a good buy at all because there is no way that the NFL would want Madden limited to PlayStation, as well as the rest of their sports titles. Take2 and Epic would be much better acquisitions along with Capcom and SE. I would say Bamco, but they have the same issue with EA with licensing out IP's.

I think now should be the time for Sony to just buy a publisher like Capcom, just lock in their IP's from being taken from them. With all these acquisitions, it still sucks that Sony closed their Japan studio, who could have been a small hand in just getting more content out there.
Madden for sure would be multiplatform. FIFA is more complicated since there isn't really a thing like the NFL or MLB EA negotiates with

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point Sony will be next on the purchase list. Thankfully I don't think it's possible as some law in Japan, seriously though this is worrying. This man Phil Spencer said he doesn't like exclusives a few years ago and it's bad for gaming, how does this fall In line with that way of thinking.
By making their gaming accessible on console, PC, and mobile with physical, digital, or streaming.

boticide24

Jun 18, 2021
I'm not personally losing much from this acquisition (except Crash and Spyro if those ever come back), but I hate what this means for the industry and the future of Sony. I don't really see how anything good can come of this.

The level of polish and production quality we get consistently from PS Studios is still unmatched and that's more than enough to keep me on Playstation. But I don't know how long that will last among the general public. Especially with Ubisoft, EA, T2 theoretically up for grabs. I'm not expecting Playstation to die anytime soon, but I have no idea how they'll keep up 5+ years from now.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
User Banned (5 Days): Low effort drive by post, trolling, history of similar behavior
Some heated copium around here

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madden for sure would be platform. FIFA is more complicated since there isn't really a thing like the NFL or MLB EA negotiates with

Fifa would likely be safe from going exclusive. EA puts a Fifa game out on Switch and they do not like working with Nintendo for some reason. Granted it is a barebones release but they still do it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
All I'll say is Sony needs to grow their first party and small studios to grow just aren't enough. SE, SEGA, and Capcom should be looked at minimum if EA and/or T2 are too expensive or don't want to sell.

This what I'm saying. A lot of people here are more into great single player games. Cool so am I but people have to recognize how earth shattering this is
Agreed.

Sony needs to respond.

Oct 31, 2017

Console gaming is not something that "needs" protection and you are not likely to get much movement there. So you would need to show that Microsoft is purchasing so much of the market that competition is being stifled and consumers are harmed. I think with the PC and mobile space being so large - thats not likely to happen either.

Then you start to get into the "are videogames their own segment or part of "entertainment" - which is part of the Disney strategy for the Fox purchase.

For us this feels really bad and likely concerns all of us about the future of home console gaming - but for antitrust purposes there is nothing about this purchase that is corning a marketing. The real concern is when someone owns the distribution channels, sales channels and can force consumers into pricing structures they don't want. We're nowhere near something like that here.

This is a guy who gets monopoly laws.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Them making more deals with studios for big new multiplayer IP's makes all the more sense now, but that's not going to be enough. If anything, they have to be at least considering investing in (or acquiring) publishers just to secure some of their largest third party brands. Imagine if MS swallows up EA, Ubi, or Take Two in few years. This alone is definitely going to make waves in NA at least.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I see the inevitable conclusion to this being that MS is probably at some point going to own almost every major western publisher. Playstation will continue being a console that many people will want, because their first-party lineup will be super high quality. I can see Playstation trying to be the HBO of games to MS's cable. I think they'll push for strict quality control and probably continue purchasing smaller talented independent studios and building them up.

MS is definitely changing what console gaming is. It used to be, you buy a PS or you buy an Xbox, but either way 90% of the games are on both. A few years from now, it will be that the console you buy completely determines the games you will be playing.

More than ever it will be worth having both and not one-or-the-other.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
The level of polish and production quality we get consistently from PS Studios is still unmatched and that's more than enough to keep me on Playstation. But I don't know how long that will last among the general public. Especially with Ubisoft, EA, T2 theoretically up for grabs. I'm not expecting Playstation to die anytime soon, but I have no idea how they'll keep up 5+ years from now.
We will see. Also GP won't be forever so cheap as it is now.

Also I see another issue rising up, if GP model becomes the main driving force in the industry - severe quality drop, as we see on movie / series streaming platforms.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Either way, Sony still has a lot to offer. The whole doom and gloom is nonsense.
Nah. We heard the same thing when Bethesda got acquired which may have been fair enough then, but this is industry shattering news and paints Microsoft's ambitions in broad strokes. It's not doom and gloom to point out that Microsoft now have an insane amount of leverage over Sony which have historically relied on third-party support to move consoles.

I'm not saying it's over for the PlayStation brand, that's silly, but this isn't something you can just brush off easily (not saying you are). Sony are definitely feeling the heat.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Playstation has to be feeling the heat at this point. Gamepass has been eating their lunch for a while and now this. But competition is good, so I think this will be good for gaming. Playstation seems best when their back is against the wall.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
EA would not be a good buy at all because there is no way that the NFL would want Madden limited to PlayStation, as well as the rest of their sports titles. Take2 and Epic would be much better acquisitions along with Capcom and SE. I would say Bamco, but they have the same issue with EA with licensing out IP's.

I think now should be the time for Sony to just buy a publisher like Capcom, just lock in their IP's from being taken from them. With all these acquisitions, it still sucks that Sony closed their Japan studio, who could have been a small hand in just getting more content out there.
The NBA wouldn't allow Microsoft or Sony to make a huge game like NBA2K exclusive…And they're a huge part of Take two portfolio.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft won't stop at Activision, so yeah, Sony should prepare themselves. They won't compete in capital.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That's an option, though I agree with some analysts that Zaslav and Malone are hoping to build up WBD over the next few years and sell it piecemeal in the future for maximum profit. I plan to buy some new shares once the merger closes. You are right in your thinking and this would give Sony major IPs for gaming and scale in the streaming space circa 2027 when their current Pay 1/Pay 2 deals are set to expire. There'd be a huge amount of other bidders though, from Disney to Amazon to Netflix and others, and I doubt Sony would be able to get it all.

IMO Yoshida-san and Jimbo should be looking really hard at TTWO and EA if for no other reason because I think that'd be MS' next targets as well. We all see MS strategy now and it's to squeeze Sony. They want to be the leaders in gaming and are taking aggressive actions to achieve it. They want gamepass to be the Netflix of gaming and to own the living room space. XBox finally has access to the parent's company warchest. TTWO won't entertain anything until the closing of Zynga later this year, so EA looks mighty good right now.
My rationale is that it's uniquely positioned to not have a lot of rival bidders. Disney would face antitrust concerns, not to mention the combined Company would be extremely overlevered. Comcast would face antitrust concerns. Amazon is facing pushback for just MGM, neither Trump nor Biden administrations would let that go without a fight. Netflix doesn't really need WBD and Apple has turned down buying Warner numerous times, I just don't think they're going to pull the trigger on a large traditional media company.

Sony on the other hand, would likely face more competition for EA or TTWO (not just from MS) and Yoshida is very much against bidding wars. Same if they looked at Roblox and Epic. Honestly, I'll be curious to see if Sony pursues a western publisher.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
I see the inevitable conclusion to this being that MS is probably at some point going to own almost every major western publisher. Playstation will continue being a console that many people will want, because their first-party lineup will be super high quality. I can see Playstation trying to be the HBO of games to MS's cable. I think they'll push for strict quality control and probably continue purchasing smaller talented independent studios and building them up.

MS is definitely changing what console gaming is. It used to be, you buy a PS or you buy an Xbox, but either way 90% of the games are on both. A few years from now, it will be that the console you buy completely determines the games you will be playing.
Microsoft is working towards a long term goal that is pretty different from Sony. Even if you buy a PlayStation knowing you won't have those games on your console, they want their services to be so ubiquitous that you always have some way to touch one of their games. Whether that's through streaming on your phone, pc, or smart TV, whatever. 5 years from now we could have TVs with Series S hardware integrated, Game Pass on PlayStation system, etc. It's really wild.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Playstation has to be feeling the heat at this point. Gamepass has been eating their lunch for a while and now this. But competition is good, so I think this will be good for gaming. Playstation seems best when their back is against the wall.
Are the current people in charge equipped to deal with it? It took a change in leadership at SIE to respond to the PS3's failings. I'll give Jimbo a chance but he's not working from a position of strength anymore

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
The only way I see Sony can compete with this is if they release a multi-player game and it becomes massively successful with day 1 pc release.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Yep. Anyone awaiting the day where regulators step in and stop MS should probably just not get their hopes up. If your concern is about console gaming, there's nothing to stop this kind of consolidation. The average consumer in this scenario is simply expected to accept new paradigms because you still have the option to play the games on a PC or on your phone, and everyone has one of those. Regulators will not see that as anti-consumer practice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think there's actually a coming back from this. Sony recovered from the PS3 disaster with a coupling of major third party software and a couple of first-party hits and then Microsoft faceplanted hard at the beginning of last gen, letting them sweep in as the de facto console. This gen, the third party scene is just shrinking and shrinking for Playstation and their first party games already kind of have their market carved out for them.

Sony will probably never be market leader again after this, and they may have to significantly rethink how they make and release their games if they no longer have the third party juggernauts providing revenue for their platform to keep the ball rolling while their first party teams work on games for four or five years a pop.

They aren't doomed, but the Playstation platform is going to look VERY DIFFERENT in 3 or 4 years than it does right now.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
"But I think the next consolidation will be in the game business" — one that Sony knowns well — he said in a virtual Q&A at the Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

I think Sony already expected this to be happening.

If we look at the music and movie industries (they're a lot older and the gaming industry is quite a bit bigger, so the comparison might not work), but in both industries there are basically 4 or 5 companies that control 80+% of the market.
As it stands in the gaming market, the top 7 gaming companies make up less than 80% of the market.

As sucky as it is, it seems likely that:
1.) We're going to be seeing that number change to 4 or 5, perhaps even this generation.
2.) It's funny to say it, but Sony is one of those 4 or 5 companies in both of those other industries.

Overall I think Sony is going to be fine.
I think chances are high that MS won't make another big acquisition like this (at least for a good long while). And I'm sure I'm going to end up being way wrong on this, especially if Facebook becomes a big player in the gaming industry.
And I think chances are high that Sony will make a big acquisition this generation that no one will expect.

boticide24

Jun 18, 2021
Also I see another issue rising up, if GP model becomes the main driving force in the industry - severe quality drop, as we see on movie / series streaming platforms.
This is my worry with Sony potentially going all-in with a streaming service down the line. I'm pretty slow to get through games and only play one at a time, so I'm perfectly happy buying 2-3 high quality $70 games a year with some smaller/cheaper titles in between. Even if GamePass was on Playstation, I don't think I'd subscribe unless my gaming habits changed.

That being said, I do think Sony prides themselves in being the "prestige gaming" HBO-esque brand, so it may not have much impact in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.