• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am willing to make a bet that MS will not be buying or acquiring any publisher or even studio in the next 7 years.

If anything, their focus will shift to what Sony's currently is. Expanding the work fore of the studios they now own. getting their games out as quickly as possible. People need to stop looking at studios as the currency. The real currency is IPs. MS was in dire need for more IPs. Halo, Gears, and Forza can only take you so far. And they needed more talent, if the Halo team isn't cutting it, give the next halo game to the doom team.

Now MS is in a position where they have an IP bank of over 12 - 16 strong IPs. They need to be getting at least 4-6 of them out each year. That's what their current focus needs to be ad will most likely be.

Microsoft has openly stated they aren't done acquiring companies, and we know they've been making overtures toward attempting to acquire Japanese studios too. This isn't stopping here.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
The issue is that this is not a battle anyone can win.

Its not feasible either. Which publisher should sony get? SE? From? Take 2? Activision? Ubisoft? Konami? Where does it begin and where doe sit end? And don't forget, Sony is still a publisher on their own with over 12 strong studios and another 8+ strong partnerships with independent studios. Sony doesn't need to buy new publishers as they have a very strong library of IPs already. They need to get more manpower, even if that comes in the form of buying studios they have worked with, which has always been their strategy.

Yes, google or amazon can acquire a publisher or two, but what will really happen is there will just be an IP cold war of sorts. Because neither google, amazon or MS has a user base sizeable enough to justify spending 10s of billions on multiple publisher acquisitions. At the very worst, it would be something like; ok, we have the COD IP, if you want it on your platform you have to release the GOW IP on ours...etc.

People look at the MS $7B acquisition as some sort of beginning to an end, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's not a coup, it was an action born outta necessity. Forget what Phil says, the Xbox division now has to justify that kinda purchase, that more than anything else means that that division CANNOT afford to have another generation like the XB1 generation. And don't forget, having new studios and IPs is just one thing, there is also like a 100M+ budget associated with almost every major new game release.

I strongly disagree with your take. Google, Amazon, and MS can easily justify spending billions on acquisitions under the promise of ushering the Netflix of gaming to their shareholders. They may not have the install base now, but the idea is they will rapidly grow their install base through content and aggressive pricing.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Microsoft has openly stated they aren't done acquiring companies, and we know they've been making overtures toward attempting to acquire Japanese studios too. This isn't stopping here.
Microsoft can acquire whatever in 8 years and what they and I have said would still be true.

All I can say is we will see what happens though. I just don't think it will. Buy timed exclusives? Yes, expand studios to speed up output? Yes. But new acquisitions? Not anytime soon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft can acquire whatever in 8 years and what they and I have said would still be true.

All I can say is we will see what happens though. I just don't think it will. Buy timed exclusives? Yes, expand studios to speed up output? Yes. But new acquisitions? Not anytime soon.

I mean, fair enough. But if Satya Nadella and Phil Spencer both say "we're not done acquiring companies" I don't know why your first thought is "they're done acquiring companies".

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
rejoice.png

Excluding the loading times that is, lol.

'Only' just half or slightly faster.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
2 days from launch and more acquisitions talk lmao.
It never ends really. Like, let's look at the great games "you" will be able to play in the next two days for crying out loud. But instead, the thread focus always seems to trend towards acquiring publishers to secure future games. I don' get it really.

I am hounding the Walmart site like a hawk now. I would code a bot to make the purchase for me if I knew ow lol. My only concern now is if they would ee have the digital SKU.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It never ends really. Like, let's look at the great games "you" will be able to play in the next two days for crying out loud. But instead, the thread focus always seems to trend towards acquiring publishers to secure future games. I don' get it really.

I am hounding the Walmart site like a hawk now. I would code a bot to make the purchase for me if I knew ow lol. My only concern now is if they would ee have the digital SKU.
you should def check target too, if you can get someone to do a instore pickup for you.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017

When your Sneakers arrive before the game (it should arrive tomorrow ...)

I'll play with my shoes until then ^^

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Or that PS5 will sound like a jet engine afterwards unless the liquidmetal is re-applied correctly. We don't know what alloy they used. Also we know from the engineer's interview that the other thermal compound they used on the other chips is a material that starts in liquid form and solidifies after it cures (some sort of silastic?). It's unclear if it will still make a good contact after it was tore off, or if it can be replaced with more easily available materials or paste. The big L-shaped pad looks like a normal thick silpad though.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Or that PS5 will sound like a jet engine afterwards unless the liquidmetal is re-applied correctly. We don't know what alloy they used. Also we know from the engineer's interview that the other thermal compund they used on the other chips is a material that starts in liquid form and solidifies after it cures (some sort of silastic?). It's unclear if it will still make a good contact after it was tore off, or if it can be replaced with more easily available materials or paste. The big L-shaped pad looks like a normal thick silpad though.
Yeah, without knowing what compound is being used to apply it it def will break its thermals it seems like. Could be possible to substitute it, they may have a special mixture that may not erode as much and I think they are using a nickle plated area to stop any erosion

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation replied to an Xbox tweet.

Has that happened before?

I find these "we are pals" tweets and messages between these competing companies a bit tacky to be honest. In interviews Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer are making sure to take shots at the other company. Pick one of these approaches.

And I've seen both of these companies do this.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
you should def check target too, if you can get someone to do a instore pickup for you.
My younger sister stays in the states and she's a citizen... I'm currently hating her right now lol. She's getting a PS5 for her bf to "surprise" him and I've been relegated to "bro understand" territory. Hopefully, he unknown to her gets one for himself and then I can buy the console off her. She works at amazon.

I may or may not have convinced her that the digital SKU was the best one to get. And that has absolutely nothing to do with me expecting or hoping for such an outcome.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
My younger sister stays in the states and she's a citizen... I'm currently hating her right now lol. She's getting a PS5 for her b to "surprise" him and I've been relegated to "bro understand" territory. Hopefully, he unknown to her gets one for himself and then I can buy the console off her. I think she works at amazon.

I may or may not ae convinced her that the digital SKU was the best one to get. And that has absolutely going to do with me expecting or hoping for such an outcome.
Hopefully for a good outcome lol.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Never a fan of these kumbaya themed tweets. They never feel sincere or authentic.

You're massive corporations gunning for the same audiences, you ain't fooling anyone with these tweets.

smh
I am fine with it because even when these conglomerates are fighting in the market, publicity wise and what they promote, it is far better to push for anti console wars tweets then to stoke the console war fanboy flames.

Cause in the end of the day those fanboys will feel the most hurt when they see said "friendship" tweets regardless if there actually is really a true sense of it behind the scenes.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Who started the Peanut Butter posts in the first place?

I think it was Angie22 trying to start an anti Peanut Butter Crusade.

Too bad that blew up on Angie22 face.

Edit: Speaking of Peanut Butter...

Had to baptize this thread.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone breakdown to me what is the fear if Sony doesn't acquire more publishers. Unless it's just MS buying every other studio I don't see how say take 2, EA and Ubisoft buying smaller publishers hurts Sony. They still need a platform to sell their games. I guess they could all start their own streaming service but I can't see that being successful enough to support publishers that would theoretically be bigger than today.
Well, I think consolidation is bad in general, so even if it's just EA, T2, and Activision buying everything, I wouldn't be a fan. But the really big concern is not just MS, but Google and Amazon as well buying up the big publishers like Take 2 and removing major IP from the Playstation platform.

Imagine a Playstation without GTA, without Final Fantasy, without Capcom games, etc. That's the big fear for me - that we're heading towards a future streaming battle between tech giants where nothing is multiplatform anymore. Everything is locked behind one subscription service or another, and you have to engage with multiple platforms and services to enjoy the same games you used to be able to buy anywhere.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Skyrim and FallOut sold more this gen on PS then on any other console.

I remember some tweet saying this. Of course with PC being the biggest userbase.

So I.Ps and franchises that sell well on PS aren't free from being taken away like what happened with Bethesda even if say Capcom and Square's I.Ps are basically a small fraction of the Xbox userbase or even non existent in the newer Amazon and Google ecosystem.

PS though losing said I.Ps is an attack on their identity.

Regardless if said loss happen 10 years from now rather then 1-4 years, etc...

Better be safe then sorry.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
neither google, amazon or MS has a user base sizeable enough to justify spending 10s of billions
This is where I think you are wrong. Xbox consoles might not have that large of a user base, but there is a large base of PC players that are just a click away from becoming Gamepass subscribers. I would not be surprised if the largest room for growth that Microsoft sees is actually from PC players. In this context, acquiring SEGA makes a lot of sense. SEGA has a small dedicated fan base on Playstation that they won't be able to sell to anymore. However, SEGA has a lot of PC games that would be completely useless for Sony but would fit perfectly in the prospect of growing Gamepass.

Microsoft took a huge gamble by fully investing the PC market. Short term, it gives them large room for growth and that's why they've acquired so much in the last years. In contrast, Sony is in a bit of a weird situation. While they are leaders on the console market, there was not much growth from generation to another and they are always around 100-150million users. And while they probably have the cash to acquire Square or SEGA, how would that remotely make financial sense if said publisher is barely keeping afloat while releasing their games to a much larger base than what Sony can offer. Mid to long term though? All bets are off. It all depends how much Microsoft's investment in the PC space will affect its console business.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I do really want to know what's up with Sony and Bloodborne. As far as we know the game did well and is clearly beloved. It's in the PS5 collection and has merch still. But it also has no patches and people are dreading not receiving a BB2. It could just be that From is busy with Elden Ring but still.

Their treatment of BB upsets me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.