• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 will be $10,499.

Here's the reasoning:

As we all know, MS is a trillion dollar company, and Sony isn't. Obviously this means MS is willing to take a larger loss. It's also safe to assume they want these consoles to sell 100 million, so we take $1 trillion / 100 million = $10,000. That is the greater loss per console that MS is able to lose and Sony isn't.

Putting this loss into the console costs and we get:

$10,000 + $499 = $10,499.

Heard it here first.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Exactly. It's £250 in the UK. It plays all the games. It's cheaper than a Switch. I think the SS is going to sell like hotcakes, Microsoft have pulled a blinder and if Sony don't adjust they'll suffer.
I'll take that bet...

- Eco-systems matter and this was the worse gen to lose mindshare in.
- GamePass is already tremendous value and Xbox's aren't flying off the shelf, it's catering to the ppl that already have Xbox
- Europe/Japan etc...is Nintendo and Sony. LikE they are synonymous with gaming. Xbox is only battling US/UK/Mexico? At this point.
- PS5 will be the market leader by the same margin again. $300 xbox is not that appealing when some of the biggest games in the industry don't come to your platform or come a year later.

All the hype I've seen on social media points to PS5 being the hot item and Switch probably selling out again. We love to throw the word value around but that's really in the eye of the person making a purchase. People see value in buying a $300 Switch and $60 copy of animal crossing. Ya know it is still about what's hot and what people like. You can't just say "play all these 3rd party games for $15 a month" we win best value. It's much more nuanced that that. Price was such a big talking point because X1 was more expensive and weaker. PS3 price was a big deal because the games didn't look better than X360 initially. It's not just the price, it's the overall value a product has. When Destiny 2 is your launch hype game and Nintendo has zelda and Mario's and animal crossing and Sony has Spider-Man and everything else that's coming to Xbox. Hmmmm I dunno what type of market share they are taking back.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I prefer physical, download speeds are crap, it's worse for my brother who lives in a city and still gets minimal BB speeds & fiber not available. A disc drive, especially now as uhd is appealing, been on uhd film train for a while with the dedicated drive. The wonderful thing about a uhd drive is that digital is a choice, not bound by it and if you lose a license your game is gone forever. The downside of uhd is of course digital is far easier to switch between games/streaming service apps. I don't find no cases a benefit, just a preference as the art that's presented in physical form is nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It's £250 in the UK. It plays all the games. It's cheaper than a Switch. I think the SS is going to sell like hotcakes, Microsoft have pulled a blinder and if Sony don't adjust they'll suffer.

I agree. I don't think it will outsell the PS5 because Sony is too well embedded, but from the perspective of increasing their audience and catering to all I think MS seems to be making excellent moves.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I really don't want to make a separate thread on it if I don't have to, so I'll start here:

Does anyone have any experience with HDMI adapters for a PS2 Slim?
If so- any recommendations?

I've gotten my hands on a PS2 Slim and I just want to find the best way to use it with a modern TV.
I just picked up a Pound recently and it works and looks great. It was a bit pricey but I'm more than satisfied with it.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
my guess, next week will be the event announcement which will take place the following week

event shows gameplay of announced games, a couple of new games, and price and date of pre order

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The XSS is a great piece of tech, and has a great price point.
I still think it is really great as a Xcloud machine with gamepass.
I still don't believe in local stored "next gen games" on a GPU with just about a third of the power of every other next gen system.

I would say, if you like a game streaming subsciption, with great content, that is the thing to get.

I think the XSS will fight stadia, but not PS5.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
First up, there's the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5's solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That's not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh.
God damn... This gen is gonna be a great one.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
PS5 will be $10,499.

Here's the reasoning:

As we all know, MS is a trillion dollar company, and Sony isn't. Obviously this means MS is willing to take a larger loss. It's also safe to assume they want these consoles to sell 100 million, so we take $1 trillion / 100 million = $10,000. That is the greater loss per console that MS is able to lose and Sony isn't.

Putting this loss into the console costs and we get:

$10,000 + $499 = $10,499.

Heard it here first.
The warchest strikes again.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if I'm going to have to f5 my e-mail and all other outlets at the same time. A new layer of next gen anxiety....

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This art style makes me wonder how another Sly would look like for PS4/5

oh well
Yeah, it's time for Sucker Punch to take the franchise back and make a complete revamp of the art style.

Heck the Ghost of Tsushima engine have almost everything necessary for making another Sly. Including the running around on rooftops and walking on ropes between buildings.

Sly 5: A Raccoon in Feudal Japan

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
"First up, there's the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5's solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That's not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh."
Holy. Shit.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing shocking about the price. A cheaper price was discussed by everyone for a long time now. Sony knows the XSS would be a cheaper console like everyone else did.

Yet that didn't change people's perception about next gen. PS having the mindshare and most importantly the games.

What has changed besides social chatter just because it's finally announced? Nothing.

People jump to conclusions every time MS announces something.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
"First up, there's the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5's solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That's not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh."
Holy. Shit.

Hot damn, that fastest most powerful console SSD doing its work.
This needs a new thread

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
There's nothing shocking about the price. A cheaper price was discussed by everyone for a long time now. Sony knows the XSS would be a cheaper console like everyone else did.

Yet that didn't change people's perception about next gen. PS having the mindshare and most importantly the games.

What has changed besides social chatter just because it's finally announced? Nothing.

People jump to conclusions every time MS announces something.

Yes, i also don't understand all the reactions.

If the XSS is kinda hurting the PS5, then that thing would kill the XSX.
I mean it does everything the XSX does, besides true 4k, so they say.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Everything about Kena sounds fantastic. Wide linear design, mix of puzzles, platforming and combat, use of adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, super fast loading, <$60.

Can't wait to see more.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
kena_fullgame_screenshot_p_.jpg

kena_fishingrot.jpg
*dies of cuteness attack*
giphy.gif

Kirudo

May 1, 2020
Wow, I finally managed to catch up on the thread.

I hope that PS5 DE 399 and PS5 449, I hope so so that it can be purchased in Latin America

Asapphire541

Oct 19, 2018
Xbox are clever for not announcing the price of X yet as many casuals on twitter think that S is the main console. Id suggest Sony to wait till after X price is announced to announce theres

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Little tease of the UI :
"They have a whole thing set up where you can do transition and it's very nice, but frankly it doesn't have time to play the animation. It just loads the game so fast"
So SONY planned something about that. Not "launch the game, fade to black, static game image and game launch".

Status
Not open for further replies.