• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I love PlayStation, but the sooner generations die as a concept the better. When PS4 launched it took like 2-3 years before games were really blowing away the best PS3 games.
The PS3 was immediately outclassed technically as soon as PS4 came out. Even the cross gen versions looked and ran miles better than fuzzy 720p/25fps last gen games.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
MS is in a different position because they need to account for Game Pass accounts that they won't be able to neglect as easily, and many of those will be on the base Xbone.

Maybe they will find a workaround so the Scarlett version doesn't suffer and can take full advantage of the hardware. At least that's what I'm hoping.

It's alot easier to bite a new console cost if your sub gets all the games on the new console than asking someone to buy a new one and all the games. I don't see that holding them to the Xbox one more it provides a reason for people to upgrade more than just shiny new game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been primarily an Xbox guy since 2002, owning only the first PlayStation in the 90s and a PS4 Pro since the beginning of 2017. Truth to be told, I had more fun this gen with PlayStation exclusives than anything on Xbox. Cool, we all know how hard the beginning of this gen was for Microsoft and how they had to play catch up all those years.

My main concern now is that Microsoft is ditching console generation divide and going with cross-gen model (mainly to offer Game Pass to the broadest available audience). In the other hand Sony firmly believes in the concept of generations and will build games for the PS5 from the ground up. And I don't want to play Xbox One games with a higher res/fps on Scarlett, I want new, exciting games developed specifically for the platform. Surely they will appear in the future, but making Halo: Infinite cross-gen is a disaster. Can't even imagine how many compromises are made to optimize the game for the ancient Xbox One (S) hardware.
Well said. Enjoy it. The future for PS looks bright :)

In my personal opinion I just don't get for what Xbox is there.
Sony has the high end games and impressive exclusives.
Nintendo has the ingenious and impressive exclusives.

Xbox has well, like Halo. And the rest (FIFA, COD, BF) plus the exclusives are all available on PS.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
While I don´t think Halo Infinite was a good example I wonder how will MS handle their output to feed GP on different gen devices.

This is abit premature and alot of people always seem to forget PC games wich scales form a low end to a extreme high end.
OG Xbox One is just gonna be certain pc spec of a game.

Scalability doesnt equal generational leap.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the answer is no. Sony isn't unique here. In truth, based off what we know, both companies will be even in cross gen offerings next year. One a piece.

Wait! I didn't understand the question then. What do you mean Sony isn't unique here? And based off of what?

I can only go with what we have and Sony didn't offer any of their first party games (as far as I can remember) as cross-gen titles for the PS3/PS4. What makes you think they will on the PS5 with the exception of a game like GoT if it gets pushed to the PS5 considering it was announced for the PS4?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much. I hate to be that guy but if you think MS is done with general consoles

Nobody is saying that.

There is discussion here on Microsoft's characterisation of the next generation console as just another 'slot in' in a family of devices all playing the same games. Or so the suggestion seems to be.

That is a departure from previous generational approaches, and not the same as what we had before. And is different to what Sony has indicated would be their approach next-gen. Of course that doesn't mean 'no cross gen games', but from what has been said, I expect MS first party may continue to support Xbox One and lower end PC longer than Sony supports PS4, for 'flagship' games at least.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
So, I've been primarily an Xbox guy since 2002, owning only the first PlayStation in the 90s and a PS4 Pro since the beginning of 2017. Truth to be told, I had more fun this gen with PlayStation exclusives than anything on Xbox. Cool, we all know how hard the beginning of this gen was for Microsoft and how they had to play catch up all those years.

My main concern now is that Microsoft is ditching console generation divide and going with cross-gen model (mainly to offer Game Pass to the broadest available audience). In the other hand Sony firmly believes in the concept of generations and will build games for the PS5 from the ground up. And I don't want to play Xbox One games with a higher res/fps on Scarlett, I want new, exciting games developed specifically for the platform. Surely they will appear in the future, but making Halo: Infinite cross-gen is a disaster. Can't even imagine how many compromises are made to optimize the game for the ancient Xbox One (S) hardware.

Making Halo cross gen is no different than what PC have been doing for decades. Its simply designing the game so it runs on multiple different hardware configurations. And it assures them of a bigger install base, thus, more people playing, more sales etc. If anything, its smart for them to do it this way and i assure you, lots of games will have crossgen support if they launch sometime next year before the actual console.

That being said, i think MS need to start showing more gritty looking games and stop with the colorful childish shit. I understand they want variety but shit. You bought enough studios, now where the hell are my mature games?? Last gen people complained about it being a shooter box with the same types of games, now they went the complete other side with very few core AAAA experiences literally all gen. This is why youre getting your asses kicked MS.

X019 was a huge disappointment to me as a xbox guy. I wanted to get hyped, and all i saw were colorful, more childish looking games. This aint what i want.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Bluepoint game is PS5 only, and I'm sure they have others.

But I don't really care tbh, I love how PC gaming works (same game adapted to many different machines).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wait! I didn't understand the question then. What do you mean Sony isn't unique here? And based off of what?

I can only go with what we have and Sony didn't offer any of their first party games (as far as I can remember) as cross-gen titles for the PS3/PS4. What makes you think they will on the PS5 with the exception of a game like GoT if it gets pushed to the PS5 considering it was announced for the PS4?
No no, I'm just saying Sony isn't unique in being the only company to not have a record of cross gen stuff. No one has done it before now for first party afaik.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No, games built with next gen in mind will be able to achieve things not possible if they were on last gen too.

This, it's like people cant conceptualize what power can do for games with regards to things other than resolution, framerates, and loading times. There is soooooooo many more game design possibilities with new hardware. Just look at a simple example with Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how MS are gonna tackle the problem with Gamepass and Xbox One. This is different than lets say Netflix or xCloud where you stream things or even Gampass Ultimate for the PC. So your box isn't important. I guess people are forced to upgrade the the new Xbox once games dries up for the XBO. Games licenses will expire and you are left with a handful of MS exclusives.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I'm concerned about this as well. A game designed from the ground-up for XB1 has its technical scope defined by that hardware baseline. Scaling up (like in PC games) is just that - increasing the scale of the baseline, not redefining the technical scope from the baseline itself. There's only so much you can do with one single code base and development kits. Launching Scarlett with an SSD and just going "whee! look how fast these new XB1 games load!" isn't going to cut it if PS5 has exclusive games designed with that technology as their baseline.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's alot easier to bite a new console cost if your sub gets all the games on the new console than asking someone to buy a new one and all the games. I don't see that holding them to the Xbox one more it provides a reason for people to upgrade more than just shiny new game.

I don't get what you're saying. People with base Xbone won't need to buy a new console nor MS first party games if MS develops and releases all their games to be played on all their consoles with Game Pass.

Oct 26, 2017
???

Erm...none of that is even remotely unique to Sony. Microsoft themselves believe in console generations, even if they feel that the lines will or are slowly becoming blurred. They will and are making games to take advantage of their next generation system and Nintendo themselves are much the same. This is weirdly placing Sony on a pedestal for no reason

There is zero precedent for Sony releasing their AAA games cross gen, so not sure what you mean by this.
1st party titles are so rarely cross generation as it is. Microsoft has so far one cross generational title confirmed, Nintendo has only really had Zelda as a cross generational title. Sony themselves have released game(s) for their previous systems despite their new system being on the market, like with God of War. For the most part, they tend to remaster or remake older titles for the next generation and I'd hardly be shocked if they did at least some of that with the PS5

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
We know that Halo: Infinite will be cross-gen. As for "we always had cross-gen games", it's true, but not in the case of exclusives.
You know the exclusives that releases within the first couple years were all built for last gen and then just transitioned to new gen right? "Built from the ground up" games don't start releasing until 3 years into a gen, and Xbox will have them too lol

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what you're saying. People with base Xbone won't need to buy a new console nor MS first party games if MS develops and releases all their games to be played on all their consoles with Game Pass.

I mean people are more likely to upgrade if they don't need to pay extra for games etc just take the box and go home that's what MS is banking on.

If they make an exclusive Scarlett only then people need that console or pc but thats it they already have the sub no extra expense.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No no, I'm just saying Sony isn't unique in being the only company to not have a record of cross gen stuff. No one has done it before now for first party afaik.

Ahh, good point. However, the big difference I'm seeing is Game Pass. Sony doesn't need to account for such a service, so they aren't "obligated" to release cross-gen games. I don't see MS neglecting base Xbone owners for a good while.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Didn't Phil literally say just days ago that there will probably a bunch of new console generations ahead of us?

Maybe I was just dreaming. Cross-gen always happens, even for exclusives.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They aren't going to do that, though. If you seriously think all first party Scarlett games are going to run on the standard Xbone you're crazy.

At best people with Xbones will be able to stream Scarlett games with Gamepass, considering xCloud will be part of the service by then.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You honestly think they wont release, last of us 2, ghost of sushima, dreams etc cross gen?

There's a difference between re-releasing 'old' games on a new generation, and committing to supporting your old generation in future releases beyond early port-me-ups.

The question here is if MS is committing to the latter, and what that would mean - some are taking it from their comments that they are, for the forseeable future at least, committing to that in a way 1st party haven't in the past. Sony has given no indication of that kind of strategy, and intimated the opposite.

Don't expect any 'flagship', 'big' unannounced games from SIE - e.g. the next Horizon or the next GoW - to come to anything but PS5. You can expect some next-gen exclusives at launch from SIE, perhaps one or two 'big' ones. From what MS has said, we might have reason to expect future unannounced 'big' games to be coming to XB1 as well as next-gen, and it has been rumoured/reported there may not be any 'big' 1st party next-gen exclusives at launch. That's what's new and different.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean people are more likely to upgrade if they don't need to pay extra for games etc just take the box and go home that's what MS is banking on.

If they make an exclusive Scarlett only then people need that console or pc but thats it they already have the sub no extra expense.

I'm not sure about that. If you have a console that can play the same games that a new console can, I'm sure many will just keep the console they have. At least for a couple more years.

We would have to wait and see though. No way to know and this will be the perfect gen to see if Game Pass actually encourages new hardware sales.

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, good point. However, the big difference I'm seeing is Game Pass. Sony doesn't need to account for such a service, so they aren't "obligated" to release cross-gen games. I don't see MS neglecting base Xbone owners for a good while.
Why would GamePass make a difference? Most of the active audience tends to move on to the newer systems after a year or so anyways. If anything, that would encourage owners to switch over more quickly. Besides, it's not as if Sony isn't releasing PS4 games next year that are likely to be remastered

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
There is the same amount of precedence from MS as it stands they will both have one game be cross gen outside of that we have no idea what else will or won't be
I'm pretty sure Booty confirmed that moving forward into next gen they will still support the XB1 with their big games, which is unprecedented. Also what cross gen game will Sony have?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
At some point they'll have to. It'll be interesting to see when that is. But we should note, the base is half of Sony's. I don't think it would be that dramatic of an affair. The average Xbox player has no clue about Scarlett. Many will want in on the newest thing eventually. They are trained to understand generations at this point.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why would GamePass make a difference? Most of the active audience tends to move on to the newer systems after a year or so anyways. Besides, it's not as if Sony isn't releasing PS4 games next year that are likely to be remastered

Do we have data supporting that people with GP like to upgrade hardware? Genuinely curious.

Also, remastering isn't the same as cross-gen, of course.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about that. If you have a console that can play the same games that a new console can, I'm sure many will just keep the console they have. At least for a couple more years.

We would have to wait and see though. No way to know and this will be the perfect gen to see if Game Pass actually encourages new hardware sales.

It's an interesting time for gaming, my own opinion is MS will make exclusive games for Scarlett and let people know that, there will be games on gamepass they need that machine for but there is a library of games they can play if they don't.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Cross-gen is bit misleading though. There are literally no PS4 games that can't be run on PS3, it's just that they'd have to look like PS3 games.

Take red dead 2. They could easily make a PS3 version. But it would just look like Red Dead 1.

Look at the PS3 version of Uncharted 4 aka Uncharted 3.

They could make a potato mode 1886 if they wanted to.

Long gone are the days where a generational leap is so drastic in terms of what can be achieved, graphically.

All games are scaleable these days and if PS5 launch execs tell you that their launch games "Can only be possible by the power of PS5" or something like that. they are, quite simply, lying.

PC games have done this for years. There are PCs out there that are less powerful than a 360 and PCs that are more powerful than One X. Both can run plenty of the same games but with big differences in image quality.

I actually quite enjoy potato mode gaming. Once you strip a game back to it;s actual core ingredients, without the frivolity of photo-realism etc, you can really tell if it's a good game in terms of design.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite strikes me as a case similar to Breath of the Wild or Twilight Princess. Games that were originally slated to be exclusive to their previous platforms, but that then got delayed so much that strategically it simply made more sense to develop them as cross generational releases. I don't think it makes much sense to look at Infinite with a "It's a Scarlet game hold back by the Xbox One" mindset rather than "It's an Xbox One game enhanced by Scarlet". Microsoft will still develop exclusive games for Scarlet and similarly you'll likely also see Sony releasing late PS4 releases like Last of Us 2 during the PS5's launch window (or they'll at least heavily market the improvements PS5 backwards compatibility will bring to PS4 games depending on whether that old Spiderman demo is representative of what PS4 titles will be like on PS5).

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have data supporting that people with GP like to upgrade hardware? Genuinely curious.

Also, remastering isn't the same as cross-gen, of course.
I don't but it's not as if you have anything backing up that GamePass encourages them to stick with older hardware longer. Like there's really no reason to do that if you're going to release your next generation system as well, unless it's not doing super hot, like how Sony had God of War 2 for the PS2 despite the PS3 already being out

It's not but it's about as close as it can be. The only difference is the gap in the release date. Like TLoU Remastered came out as soon as it could on the PS4

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Bluepoint game is PS5 only, and I'm sure they have others.

But I don't really care tbh, I love how PC gaming works (same game adapted to many different machines).

Well, the way PC works these days at least in big budget games is that they get console ports.

There'll be a pretty big difference between getting a port of a Scarlett exclusive and an Xbox One game.

Status
Not open for further replies.