• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I'm sorry but wtf is Tom doing lately? Dude's a great informant, why spreading this kind of misinformation.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think the fact the computational power of the audio chip is as powerful as the entire PS4 Jaguar is amazing. Lots of cools bells and whistles on PS4 the more I look at it

Yep, there's lots to be excited about and we haven't really seen anything yet, Cerny is a great architect but pretty bad at selling his ideas.

Oct 29, 2017
I think the fact the computational power of the audio chip is as powerful as the entire PS4 Jaguar is amazing. Lots of cools bells and whistles on PS4 the more I look at it
Unfortunately it's hard to get the average consumer to care all that much about audio improvements. I'm excited but who knows how it will play out upon release.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Unfortunately it's hard to get the average consumer to care all that much about audio improvements. I'm excited but who knows how it will play out upon release.

Realize how that offloads they regular cpu too so gamers will notice it in zen 2 doing more in game computational tasks

Now Sony is free to go buck wild on new audio advancements without worrying about taking from the main cpu, no trade off equals win

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Men you're making a lot of assumptions here. Silly ones at that.

I would think that you would at least believe that sony and their hardware team have a fairly decent idea about what they are going as opposed to them lying or making some sort of mistake because they are doing something you don't believe to be the case.

Sorry but whats wrong with discussing possibilities, did I ever say that I'm stating facts? or do you think nothing should be discussed at this stage?
And are you saying that hardware with the problems I mentioned didn't exist before or that the people who designed them didn't have a decent idea about what they were doing?
There is no need to be overly defensive. I don't think me being worried about something or not fully being convinced by it affects you in any way.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
WTF, come on Tom it's hard enough dealing with misinformation without you adding to it...
Actually its not, and its a topic that has popped up multiple times today. That 10.28 TF is Max Boosted, but its not sustained performance. Series X is. We will likely need to see both in live situations to fully test this, but right now that is how its being explained from my understanding.

Tom Warren has been called out a few times on this site, but he has been reliable thus far which is far more than i can say about several "insiders" on this site.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Mr Cerny is trying to sell you a product
No, he talked to dev.
Was it is good idea to do that before having a general audience presentation? Clearly not. But still, it happened.
Nobody should be sad! These consoles are super crazy powerful. Now it's down to all those great games, as always :)
An other one who have knowledge on the matter is excited! Go away, let me believe random poster who are comparing numbers they doesn't understand.

/s
Probably no, but are you allowed to say if you have devkits?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Sorry but whats wrong with discussing possibilities, did I ever say that I'm stating facts? or do you think nothing should be discussed at this stage?
And are you saying that hardware with the problems I mentioned didn't exist before or that the people who designed them didn't have a decent idea about what they were doing?
There is no need to be overly defensive. I don't think me being worried about something or not fully being convinced by it affects you in any way.
Noting wrong with being worried, or even discussing stuff. But you are say a lot of stuff as if it were fact. And outright saying stuff that would otherwise suggest that sony were lying, and based on what? How stuff works with PCs?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There's no reason to believe it will drop that low in performance. Cerny pointed out they only need to drop a few % in clock to drop 10% in power. Unless they completely screwed up the design, there's no scenario where they could grossly overshoot their power budget.

This completely stands to reason as they probably can drastically lower the voltage and only slightly back off on GPU clocks. Cerny makes it sound like they're operating on the hairy edge of static timing closure for the part.

$399$399$399$399

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can you try and get an interview with cerny by any chance? i would love to hear some more details on this variable clock stuff. some of the math doesnt add up. how far would the cpu have to be throtlled back to hit 2.3 ghz? would it result in framerate issues? how can a 2% decrease in clockspeed or 44mhz result in a 10w increase in a gpu? cerny told DF it isnt linear so they must be cooking up something insane. why didnt ms go with this if its an amd solution?

can you also confirm if vrs and machine learning are in the gpu? cerny didnt mention it in deep dive.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to believe it will drop that low in performance. Cerny pointed out they only need to drop a few % in clock to drop 10% in power. Unless they completely screwed up the design, there's no scenario where they could grossly overshoot their power budget.

So why not clock it at a stable 98%? Why introduce the complexity for a 2% gain, it makes no sense.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I said, and for sure we are not in a position to judge their decisions, but I honestly don't like it when I feel someone is trying to over-sell their product while downplaying what the competition is doing, defending every single hardware choice like it is superior even if it is not better - at least in terms of raw power/performance.
I'd point out that Mr. Cerny didn't compare PS5 to XSX. He compared two hypothetical machines with the same TF count, and then made the case that the version reaching that through higher clocks would be more performant. He didn't attempt to speak to how much clockspeed could close the gap toward a machine with higher overall compute, as XSX has. Obviously, there's a marketing implication here that some of the distance is covered...but he said nothing even implying how much, or how well.

I don't like the approach of very high frequencies, it never led to a better experience for me, it only made problems for systems/gpus I've owned, problems like over-heating, high noise levels, or even failing and having short life-span.
I'm not going to argue against your preferences or experience. And it must be said that Mr. Cerny could be mistaken about the benefits or robustness of his approach. But I trust that he's not directly lying, and that he does believe in the efficacy of this design. An opinion formed through such expertise should be taken very seriously...as should the fact that he's far from the only individual involved. Mark Cerny didn't tinker away solo, he lead a large and presumably heavily-qualified and amply-resourced engineering team. Such an outfit can still come up with bad hardware, of course. But I know my own knowledge doesn't compare, and so I want to absorb their assertions first.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeming more like it, since he stressed cost effectiveness and also about thinking about gamers, for pricing.
this might work out for them after this whole coronavirus ordeal. i suspect the economy will be in tatters come august and the recovery might be slow. come november, people will be too busy paying off bills and loans and might not be willing to spend an extra $100.

but that also applies to the lockhart which should only be a $299 console.

This completely stands to reason as they probably can drastically lower the voltage and only slightly back off on GPU clocks. Cerny makes it sound like they're operating on the hairy edge of static timing closure for the part.

$399$399$399$399
so im guessing the 256 bit gddr6 was chosen because it was cheaper?

where else can they save money to get to the $100 difference?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It has advantage over a GPU of similar configuration with lower clock speed (e.g. 5700) but not a bigger GPU, because the count and size of those special units also scale with CU count.

More CU or not don't matter .
GPU is Speed and CU count and both have affect on performance even if the GPU has diffrent CU counts speed still effect certain aspects .

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

Because it is dangerous to put stuff like that on twitter with the reach you have. If you had a source fill you in on "real PS5 GPU performance" then by all means go ahead. But, when it's not, you're only further muddying the waters by putting out information which is not confirmed. Yet it will be taken and paraded on the internet given where it emanated from.

this might work out for them after this whole coronavirus ordeal. i suspect the economy will be in tatters come august and the recovery might be slow. come november, people will be too busy paying off bills and loans and might not be willing to spend an extra $100.

They aren't saving $100, look at the specs, they are so similar. They just prioritized different stuff and as a result will have to eat a bigger loss on every SKU.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Because PS5 will be at 10.3 most of the time and even if drop it's a 2% drop .
Was explain it the vid , if you think it won't be that way that is another matter .
can you try and get an interview with cerny by any chance? i would love to hear some more details on this variable clock stuff. some of the math doesnt add up. how far would the cpu have to be throtlled back to hit 2.3 ghz? would it result in framerate issues? how can a 2% decrease in clockspeed or 44mhz result in a 10w increase in a gpu? cerny told DF it isnt linear so they must be cooking up something insane. why didnt ms go with this if its an amd solution?
Some of this wasn't explained in enough detail, but I personally think the reality could be more than a 2% drop in those "worst case scenarios." We'll see later this year. I hope it runs as close to 10.3 teraflops as possible 99% of the time, as it's already 1.7 teraflops behind in performance and that could be a gap for some demanding titles when you start throwing in real-time ray tracing too.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
anexanhume How does the memory compares to XSX? Both have 16GB but different config. Can you explain?
Considering it will be extremely rare that a game, if any game at all, will need part of the 3.5GB as VRAM (and still, it's 336GB/s, faster than the 4K Xbox One, it's not like it's DDR4 or something. It's still usable as VRAM for lower priority uses), the XSX memory solution is much better than the PS5's but at the same time, it's more expensive. Not only that MS had to add another 64-bit worth of controllers on the APU, making it bigger, they also have to buy 10 chips instead of Sony's 8 chips. even though it's the same amount of RAM, MS is paying a bit more because they are buying more chips.

IMO that's the PS5's weak point, not the TF count. the PS5's GPU is more powerful than the 5700 XT and the 5700 XT has the same bandwidth, 448GB/s. At the same time, the PS5's 448GB/s will have to deal with 4K (while the 5700 XT is labeled by AMD as a 1440p card), RT (which is a big bandwidth hog and the 5700 XT doesn't have that either) and share it with a CPU. It probably won't be a big problem, but IMO this is the PS5's biggest weakness, not the TF count. In the end, it will probably just manifest itself in developers having a harder time hitting 4K, which I don't think is a big deal.

Like I've said before during the jolly Github days, I won't be surprised if the only difference between the PS5 and the XSX in 3rd party games will be 1800p VS 2160p and in reconstructed games 1800p reconstructed VS 2160p reconstructed. TBH, I can't tell the difference between 1800p and 2160p on my 4K 65" LG.

tenor.gif

The time has come! The end to this living nightmare of speculation is upon us!

ShadowKingpin
AndyD
MonsterMech

All three of you got lucky, threw a dart at a board, and picked the date it landed on! Because of this you three get blessed with a tag that the staff and I have agreed on!

And that tag is:

Mambo Number PS5

I'll be dishing out these tags to you shortly! Congratulations! Also, I'll be talking with our resident Doct0r about his promise to pre-order a PS5 for one of the lucky winners.

But Transistor.... What about those that picked a date AFTER today?

Well, that's a great question. Let's look at my list:

Lausebub, zephiross, ekim, jikevgw, Stripper13, Crumpo, Jeffries tube, TheCommonDan, InsaneTiger, sleepr, panda-zebra, Quintus, et3rn1tyGR, Adum, Civzy, FSmallhands, CD_93, Midas, Dest, KevdotL, Brown Intruder, hemo memo, Luck, SlipperyFishes, Kalasai, That1GoodHunter, meenseen84, Azurik, Xanfrabot, DrKeo, Hybrid Rainbow, Pharaoh, RoninStrife, Florin4k4, janusff, haugh645, Openrob, Searsy82, Jack-O-Lantern, ActusReusJB, Evolved1, TechnicPuppet, Bunta, groganos, DamnedLife, Cincaid, Reckheim, Blanquito, FacesAndAces, theusedversion, Joe White, jesu, Lostduke, MistaPropella, Sedated, i-Lo, Mitchman1411, Hamrub, MrDeveus, Sambodianninja, KingBae, Ganja, Isayas, zodiaq, Cyborg, Sense, Retsudo, Sojillo, KoRnTuNeS, andresmoros, Katzenbuckel, zeldor711, Stoopkid, john miller, nizerifin, Alandring, ZOONAMI, Andromeda, D BATCH, ____, EagleClaw, spookyghost, Trieu, Azdoune, Jdogg4089

For all of these souls? Well.... I have something special lined up.

Stay tuned....

a257b73d91c566ecb35f45356b49bde5.gif
I only have one request Transistor, make mine the worst. I mean really bad, like worse than chris 1515.

I would argue that every PS5/XSX CPU core is more powerful than the whole of PS4's Jaguar CPU. They are similar in power, but a single core will outperform a multithreaded 8 core CPU with the same power because it has less overhead.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
With a decent variance based on silicon lottery, which is also antithetical in the console space.
PCs have no guarantee of airflow or ambient temperature. That's not the case with PS5. They have control over that. As long as you're not running your PS5 in the Sahara, you should be fine (theoretically)

Less NAND, smaller die, less RAM, no vendor fee for SSD controller.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
i may have mentioned this in the other thread, but i am struggling to see why third party devs will target the 22 gbps ssd speeds when the xbox series x has literally 5x slower speeds. this kind of stuff will only be utilized by first party devs which means 2-3 AAA exclusives max a year. do i really want this to be a switch like console i only turn on a few times a year?

I expect what we'll see in cross-platform games is that higher quality textures get loaded more rapidly on the PS5, leading to less texture popping. Look at a game like Spider Man where they stream in a moderate quality version of content first, and then backfill with high quality textures over time. That's already a common practice and will simply work more seamlessly in one environment than the other.

... and of course the AAA exclusives will happen, and they're going to be the showcases that call for everyone to up their game. If they become the must-have visual benchmarks for the generation then that's all goodness from my perspective. They're often some of the titles I look forward to the most in any case. I probably get fewer titles a year for my Switch and I'm still happy with that purchase. YMMV.

im also not convinced that this boost clock will stay there 98% of the time like he says.

It will be interesting to see, but I've certainly worked with silicon where this was absolutely the case. You had to design for the thermal extremes even though the kind of code that triggered them was vanishingly rare in practice. It's usually not a question of whether the CPU or GPU is kept busy, but rather whether the same specific functional blocks are continually stressed without a chance to cool. I worked closely with the teams who did this kind of work on device you've probably owned, so it's not just theoretical - this is actually how it often works in practice.

10w in savings after just dropping down 2% in clocks?

Somewhere in the 2-3% range sounds entirely plausible. When reaching the higher clock rates power draw scales with the cube of the clock frequency, so a 3% drop in clock speed could lower draw from a 114W ceiling to 104W, as just one example.

ms managed to hit 3.6 ghz with a fixed clock system. 3.8 with smt off. if they are both on the same arch why is sony running into these issues and MS isnt?

They face the exact same issues and made different design decisions, with Sony opting to push GPU clocks and come up with a dynamic clocking system that is still deterministic, which is quite clever.

again, im hoping for the best but we have no demos, no mindblowing trailers like hellblade 2 showing off photorealistic visuals, no path traced demos. its wait and see.

We will see in due course, and it will likely be real-time gameplay rather than just in-engine trailers. There simply is no pressing reason to showcase everything six to eight months ahead of time. None. This clearly wasn't a games showcase, and I don't see any reason why you need to couple something like this with a games reveal. Instead, I expect each game will have its own trailer releases and information cadence leading up to launch. It's one of the advantages of not having to fill an E3 style press conference.

bottom line is that we are left with more questions than answers and its kinda frustrating.

That was inevitable no matter what was shown. Expecting everything to be laid out this far before launch was simply not realistic, nor would it be wise for Sony. They want interest to peak at launch, not months beforehand.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They already save near $100 .
APU will be cheaper , so will ram and now SSD.
They could also save on size and other aspect like BD drive etc etc .
The same will be for lockhart which is why it will be $299.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
More CU or not don't matter .
GPU is Speed and CU count and both have affect on performance even if the GPU has diffrent CU counts speed still effect certain aspects .
You probably interpreted my explanation wrong. I meant, for example, PS5 may have 2x rasterization units running at 1x speed, but XSX has 3x raster units running at 0.8x the speed, the resulting throughput is still higher for XSX.
By your point, a 5500 overclocked to insanely high will run better than a 2080Ti, that's obviously not the case.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is disappointed the PS5 SSD is only 825 GB, but I don't think they're taking into account how much smaller games will be without duplicated assets, and basically free compression. Can't wait to see the results.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PCs have no guarantee of airflow or ambient temperature. That's not the case with PS5. They have control over that. As long as you're not running your PS5 in the Sahara, you should be fine (theoretically)
i dont know how similar this is to rdna 1.0 cards, but didnt someone find that AMD's game clocks almost never hit their peak boost clocks?

for example, they said the 9.7 tflops 5700xt was a 1.9 ghz gpu but it averaged at 1.75 ghz or something like that for a total of 9 tflops.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I did not follow much of the stuff that Klee has said...but was he right/wrong close/off etc? I know he got a lot of shit from some which is sad, but with all being now in the open I am curious if all the stuff Klee was saying is what we were just shown?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
i dont know how similar this is to rdna 1.0 cards, but didnt someone find that AMD's game clocks almost never hit their peak boost clocks?

for example, they said the 9.7 tflops 5700xt was a 1.9 ghz gpu but it averaged at 1.75 ghz or something like that for a total of 9 tflops.
That's RDNA 1. Based on the performance gains they saw with the new Vega APUs, I believe they could have made huge strides on efficiency.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I know everyone is disappointed the PS5 SSD is only 825 GB, but I don't think they're taking into account how much smaller games will be without duplicated assets, and basically free compression. Can't wait to see the results.
The ability to install two extra games, or more than twice the speed?

I'm going with the much faster speed.

I'm much more annoyed by their storage solution. I liked MS solution better(adding more space). If I were to replace my drive, the default drive will be collecting dust in some room.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'd point out that Mr. Cerny didn't compare PS5 to XSX. He compared two hypothetical machines with the same TF count, and then made the case that the version reaching that through higher clocks would be more performant. He didn't attempt to speak to how much clockspeed could close the gap toward a machine with higher overall compute, as XSX has. Obviously, there's a marketing implication here that some of the distance is covered...but he said nothing even implying how much, or how well.
I'm not going to argue against your preferences or experience. And it must be said that Mr. Cerny could be mistaken about the benefits or robustness of his approach. But I trust that he's not directly lying, and that he does believe in the efficacy of this design. An opinion formed through such expertise should be taken very seriously...as should the fact that he's far from the only individual involved. Mark Cerny didn't tinker away solo, he lead a large and presumably heavily-qualified and amply-resourced engineering team. Such an outfit can still come up with bad hardware, of course. But I know my own knowledge doesn't compare, and so I want to absorb their assertions first.
I appreciate your honesty, and I fully agree on the points you made here.

Status
Not open for further replies.