• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 38361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Am I witnessing a real life Dr. Hal "Otacon" Emmerich?

Otacon.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there would be some cool trailer games...videos showing off the PS5 in slick video ads. Something than this.
I don't know what led you to believe a "PS5 Tech Deep Dive" led you to believe this, especially since the PS4 was revealed the exact same way with Cerny talking in deep detail about the PS4's specs. The only "footage" of a game shown off was early Knack physics demonstration.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This is the first impression people are getting of this thing and one of the main bullet points someone can easily discern is "PS4 backwards compatible...kinda"

I miss Jack and Andy.

I will lol if there isn't a single game or game comparison shown during this.

Just FYI - The Ps2 was not fully backwards compatible with the Ps1 and the PS3 was not fully backwards compatible with the PS2/PS1. There are always exceptions, and its hard to guarantee because some games are just coded in a way that doesn't support it, or involve peripherals that won't be supported.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I feel like I'm actually learning 🤷🏾‍♂️

Me too! Cerny continues to deliver and tickle my nerd brain.

This portion of their rationale for why they decided on their architecture is really interesting, even as I myself am not familiar with this technical domain.

I am starting to understand those Tweets from industry about the differences in architecture and corresponding performance numbers - excited to hear more!

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony:
*Advertises this presentation as a PS5 reveal*
*Decides to make it a Youtube premier with a countdown and everything*
*Knows that the competition has revealed much more and that people are expecting*
*Doesn't mention that this isn't meant for consumers*

People:
*Get disappointed when this is just a glorified GDC presentation*

Era: "Fucking idiots expecting anything but a dry technical presentation made for developers. Do those fucks know that this is a GDC presentation? Fucking embarrasing those goddamn idiots."
"advertises as PS5 reveal"

wut

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Omg, this BC stuff... I'm not buying this Console, flat-out. N o PS1-3 BC should have been expected, but not even full PS4 BC? Absolutely pathetic. Complete dealbreaker. What an awful ecosystem.

so people would like to buy a new console to play old games? you can buy a PS 1,2,3 and 4, connect them to a framemeister device and play anything you want

imagine people were going like this when the SNES was revealed..."boo, i can´t play my NES games anymore?"

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It breaks my heart that Sony has so little respect for the PlayStation's ridiculous back catalog. They should be killing it on backward compatibility.

Manoko

Oct 27, 2017
Sony:
*Knows that the competition has revealed much more and that people are expecting*

People:

Era: "Fucking idiots expecting anything but a dry technical presentation made for developers. Do those fucks know that this is a GDC presentation? Fucking embarrasing those goddamn idiots."

You nailed it.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Sony:

People:

"Tomorrow at 9am Pacific Time, PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5's system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games. "

???

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So.. vs XSX, maybe <20% less ALU vs maybe up to >20% higher speed in the rest of the pipe. Add that to the SSD difference, and I think it could be more up in the air - more case by case - than many might think wrt multiplat performance. Or there might be variations in performance profile that favour both consoles in different games. We will see. As always I expect their exclusives will lean in heavily on its strengths.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Well there it is folks. Xbox has significant edges in the GPU and CPU while the PS5 does with the SSD.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
What a horrendous presentation.
If this was supposed to be for developers why is he talking as if nobody know what he is talking about?
Worst thing so far is that they still have many things to settle. The ssd is still a target and he has only seen one game which uses rt reflections?
omg.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Ok this console is an absolute BEAST! The amount of innovation is ridiculous. It appears to be so well optimized. Cooling solution appears to be the only big question mark.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't PS5 have 1 CPU core more to work with in games then XBX, which uses one for SSD decompressing while PS5 has a dedicated chip?

Cambot

Oct 27, 2017
But spending a bunch of money and on hardware to engineer PS1- PS3 compatibility for 1 out of every 200 consumers doesn't make sense.

People on this thread: "WE DON'T CARE!!"

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He's actually explaining it though. How is it a spin? Because somebody like youself is hugely less informed than somebody like Mark Cerny? The guy is literally trying to break it down in lamens terms for idiots and you still have people like yourself not understanding it.
He is downplaying them having less, would he be calling it "dangerous" if they had 12?

Probably not

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Sony:

People:

You forgot your /s

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This presentation is going to end with a 'Made in Dreams' outro right? He keeps saying Dreams and all I can think about is how crazy it would be if this was in Dreams.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
They literally didn't. Go rewatch their PS4 meeting.

I watched the original Cerny presentation this morning actually! Overall it was the same thing, although they did talk/show Knack/KZ but no one looks at those games as meaningful anyway, so yes it was basically the same thing. This is more technical but it's also a GDC talk. It will have 0 impact in the end, but pop off!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I had not seen this presentation. I just talk to a lot of people who know way more than I do.

Fair enough. What are their thoughts on the PS5 from a development perspective, especially in comparison to the Series X? Or at least divulge whatever you can even if vaguely.

Status
Not open for further replies.