• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USB Hard Drive for PS4 games
NVME slot (open source) for PS5 games
So this is the confusing part for me. The SSD in the PS5 is awesome and special, but if you end up running games off some expanded SSD wouldn't it not get the same benefits? Would there be any reason why I wouldn't want to run a game off the stock SSD rather than the extra 2tb SSD I install?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
825GB drive is an obvious indicator they were targeting $399. Let's see if they will take the hit, or price at $449.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on.

So when they say NVMe SSD slot for expansion, are they saying that I can buy a Samsung 970 EVO Pro + SSD and use that instead of buying some proprietary crap?
it has to be approved. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

The only problem is that PC technology is significantly behind PS5. It'll take some time for the newer, PCIe 4.0-based drives with the bandwidth required to match Sony's spec to hit the market.

And then, Sony needs to validate them to ensure that they will work properly. The PS5 will have an NVMe slot, but drive compatibility will be paramount. It's not just a bandwidth issue either, though clearly that is a factor. PS5's spec delivers six priority levels to developers, while the NVMe spec has just two.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
But John is just talking about the SSD when he says "faster than Series X even", right?
Yes. We will have to wait third party multi platforms games to see how less CU higher frequency goes against more CU weaker frequency.
But having a SSD twice faster is a big assets. So the GPU won't be faster but feeded way quicker. It is always about bottleneck.
That means on a "static" scene, XSX probably be prettier on all effects.
But when you move, faster SSD means you call load stream data two times faster. It is huge. That means you can have higher LOD of distant objects.
Pop-in and LOD transition are one of the main problem this gen on consoles (and awful shadows, but that an other issue). Spider Man is quite impressive in both of those, but the cost is slow traversal.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
It's really disappointing yeah. At the beginning of this gen, the assumption was that BC was lost in the move to x86, but that all games would be BC moving forward. No one even questioned it.

Shit, PS1/2/3 BC was speculated on in the speculation thread...
Before this conference I was certain it would be 4 gen of PS backwards compatible. MS is lightyears ahead in terms of BC and it seems there is no way PS is ever going to catch up, they are falling back even more. I will get the PS5 at launch because I'm a sucker, but not even full PS4 back compat let alone further back is a huge disappointment for me...

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So this is the confusing part for me. The SSD in the PS5 is awesome and special, but if you end up running games off some expanded SSD wouldn't it not get the same benefits? Would there be any reason why I wouldn't want to run a game off the stock SSD rather than the extra 2tb SSD I install?
The expandable NVME slot has all the same bandwidth as the built in SSD has. However, the Built in SSD has more prioritization layers (6 i think) the standard SSD (2), and even a 5.5GBs SSD will be too slow, it's likely going to need to be a 7GBs SSD (not fully determined yet since no SSDs on the market today will work.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
What, can people not read, or listen? Clearly the 100 title thing was just stating that OF the top 100 titles all but a very small number work fine on PS5, with some that will need custom work done. So expanding that across 4000 odd titles there may be a very small number that need any work done in totality to run smoothly on PS5. How anyone is reading this as "we have 100 games working and we're working on the next 3900" is just from being obtuse.
Lmao at people defending this laughably unclear messaging. 😭

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this 10% figure people keep quoting. In the video Cerny said that 10% drop in power draw(key word here) is equivalent to 2% drop in clock frequency. Not 10% drop in clock speed. It's wrong and people need to stop using it.

yup

NO reason for any PS5 or XSX games to allocate more than 10GB for GPU tasks. Clearly XSX has the edge in raw numbers. Games code nor audio files don't need anything approaching these speeds. It's the geometry and texture data that requires it. But then again, PS5 only needs to feed 36 CUs at 2.3GHz. XSX needs to feed 52CUs at 1.85GHz. They both have good enough RAM bandwidth for their respective specs.

Thanks for the info, but the "shouldn't need to" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - you can throw as much at the GPU as you want in terms of texture size/resolution, post-processing effects etc. to fill the available VRAM. Some games even have estimated counters for it and there are a few that allow me to approach the upper end of my 2080Ti on PC at least.

If there was extra RAM there to use, I'm sure first party devs could take advantage of it right?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is 16GB all running at 448 GB/s
XSX only has 10GB running at the higher 560GB/s, with the other 6 running at a lower 336 GB/s

Which will be better? I don't know. But it's not cut and dry there. Perhaps 10GB of optimised faster RAM for games will be better than having unified memory speeds, or the more consistent speed across the entire machine will be better.
For the XSX though, the 2.5GB reserved for the system is all from the slower RAM. So the XSX split for games is 10GB of RAM with a bandwidth of 560GB/s, and only 3.5GB of RAM with a bandwidth of 336GB/s, so nearly 75% of the total RAM pool runs at the higher bandwidth.

So while it seems like a fairly even split between faster and slower portions of RAM, the pool available to games leans more more heavily towards the faster RAM, for a clearer on-paper advance for XSX.

Imagine thinking Sony is in trouble over the specs differences here and given the kinds of games that they have in the works, and their grasp on the market.
Yeah, the specs gap here is largely in favour of XSX but it's close enough that it won't harm Sony unless they also get several other things wrong, like the price and marketing.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about exclusives. They just need a conference with Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, God of War 2(even if some of these are teasers), the rumored Demons Souls remake and god knows what else to have the games as the main talking point.

I do agree with what you say though, multiplatforms will be compared and i'm sure we'll see differences like for the Xbox One X and the Pro...but this time Sony will for sure have the cheapest console and the public cares about that for sure. In a post-corona virus time this is going to play a role (and even if there was no virus tbh).
Ah exclusives, fair enough. Yeah I'm hoping to see some SpiderMan 2 footage, needs to be gameplay though, not a teaser (in an ideal world).

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm so confused on backwards compatibility. So is there a legacy mode which runs every PS4 game but the testing and 100 games working are games running on PS5 boost mode and using the higher power of the machine or is it just 100 games working on BC?

because it sounds like the latter and if so that's not good.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
twitter.com

_rogame on Twitter

“One of the drawbacks of using less CUs is less "Intersection Engines" for HW Raytracing which are tied to each shader unit Xbox Series X have 44% more Raytracing HW than PS5. That's why Microsoft is demoing "Real Time Path tracing" while Sony is talking about global illumination”

44% better raytracing
No, 20-30% better. It has 44% more RT cores, but PS5 is clocked higher (2-2.23Ghz). The intersection engines are inside the TMUs, which operate like everything else on a cycle basis.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
let's just all realize both consoles are monsters compared to what we got before, next gen will be the most exciting time since n64 ps1 hit the market

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about it, this was an absolutely horrible reveal. I can't imagine anyone, except for the most loyal fanboys, who would be more excited about ps5 than he was before this slog...

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh yeah, I don't expect it to make up the gap either, just curious how impactful it is.

MS demoed RT on Minecraft and had to drop it to 1080 at 30fps right? A AAA game is going to be a very different scenario. RT will likely scale with TFs.
I don't really have a good picture yet of how RT acceleration looks on RDNA2. If it's a function of their CUs or if they have something discrete like the RTX cards do. So we really don't know. But that would be significant difference in power. A 1080 Ti can handle some ray traced reflections in BF5.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Price will determine who has the advantage.

At $399 vs $499, the spec difference is in Sonys favour and I think they will dominate the gen. At $499 each US market will likely fall back in Xboxs favour and worldwide Sony will still come out ahead, by how much is impossible to say.

Then you have the possibility of only a $50 advantage or maybe both are $499, or $499 vs $599 usd dollars. Lots of variable to consider. But ultimately price will dictate the "wow factor' of the console.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Finally got around to watching the video and it's really interesting how a high speed ssd can improve games beyond loading times i.e. you can use more of the RAM for your game at any instance because you don't have to store things in memory that might not be needed in the next 30 seconds or so.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
The more I think about it, this was an absolutely horrible reveal. I can't imagine anyone, except for the most loyal fanboys, who would be more excited about ps5 than he was before this slog...

the presentation was clear, it has a lot to be excited about but everyone is just spinning Cerny's words, even saying theres no BC at all.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
yup

Thanks for the info, but the "shouldn't need to" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - you can throw as much at the GPU as you want in terms of texture size/resolution, post-processing effects etc. to fill the available VRAM. Some games even have estimated counters for it and there are a few that allow me to approach the upper end of my 2080Ti on PC at least.

If there was extra RAM there to use, I'm sure first party devs could take advantage of it right?
So you foresee a game where the CPU uses under 3.5GB and GPU uses over 10GB? That's a wacky ass game. Maybe CS:GO running at 16K? I dunno. lol

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
Agree. This conference only brought confusion and frustration to the fans.

It would have been better to do nothing rather than push it to public

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really have a good picture yet of how RT acceleration looks on RDNA2. If it's a function of their CUs or if they have something discrete like the RTX cards do. So we really don't know. But that would be significant difference in power. A 1080 Ti can handle some ray traced reflections in BF5.
My understanding is that RT is built into each RDNA2 CU, rather than separate. AMD RT should scale with # of CUs and Clock, just like TFs.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
For an exclusive title, sure, that'll absolutely be the reality of it. For any multiplatform games? I'm hard pressed to think we'll see massive differences between titles. Even with PS4 / XBO, the differences weren't so substantial that most people would be able to pick up on them. That's just the reality of it. For all we want to be enthusiasts and know it alls, we don't know shit, and the mass market knows even less, and they can identify even less.
We may not all be "know-it-alls" but there are some developers and industry professionals that frequent ResetEra that'll tell it like it is. You don't have to look very hard to find them in this very thread explaining things to people.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
On Twitter, I follow some of the folks at RAD Game Tools (authors of the Oddle Kraken compression). They're saying the hardware decompressor typically outputs 8-9 GB/s, and, best case, caps out at 22 GB/s. Holy shit!

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You misheard. The 10% reduction mentioned was for power draw, not the clock speed, which only needs to drop by a few percent to achieve the power draw reduction, and according to Cerny only in worst case scenarios (since the 2.23GHz isn't even the max the chip is capable of, it's an artificial cap they went with). Basically it doesn't sound like it'll go below 10TF.
Ahhh ok.... Than i misheard. Thank you for correcting it :)
Where is this 10% figure people keep quoting. In the video Cerny said that 10% drop in power draw(key word here) is equivalent to 2% drop in clock frequency. Not 10% drop in clock speed. It's wrong and people need to stop using it.
See above......

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dictator

What's your take on Sony saying that a TF at a higher clock > a TF at a lower clock?
It makes sense for Chips at equal TF - XSX is of course just higher so I think it is a point for a theoretical console with same tf number that is wider.

We also need decidedly more Info on how GPU utilisation or CPU utilisation affect the PS5 clocking. We have unfortunately no idea of that.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
This is all really exciting. I think the Tempest 3D audio is the standout news from this, it could be a very significant differentiator for the PS5. Audio is half the experience after all.

It will be very interesting to see how performance varies with multi-platform games compared to the Xbox Series X. I was expecting both boxes to be pretty much the same like current gen, but there's quite a difference in how the PS5 actually works. I predict both with have their strengths and weaknesses rather than one being definitively better than the other.

Ultimately I love that the PS5 actually feels like an exotic piece of technology rather than just a small PC. It's kind of like the old days.

Price and games will be the main decider in the market of course, as always. Both Microsoft and Sony have great first party studios now and I expect both will have one or two killer titles at launch, unlike previous generations where it normally takes months for a must-play game to actually come out.

My prediction; coming off the momentum of PS4 and the possibility of hitting a slightly lower price point, plus maybe Horizon 2 and another big game at launch (Bluepoint's remake?), Sony may have the edge, but it's going to be way closer than last time. I'm genuinely excited for both consoles.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I think Sony were going for a 2019 launch with 36CUs, but when things were delayed to 2020, instead of adding more CUs and having to redesign things significantly, they clocked their RDNA2 chip like crazy. That's how we got here.

Energy consumption of 36CU @ 2-2.23 GHz is probably similar to 52CU @ 1.82GHz. Bad design decisions all around...Cerny was outplayed.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less about the Audio. 2 TV speakers, and that's it. Maybe headphones. I'm not running wires and having speakers all over my living room. Audio does absolutely jack for me.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
We saw this exact same narrative from MS in 2013 with the XB1 being the "more balanced" system and secret sauce like "move engines" closing the bandwidth gap. The numbers never lie

Yeah I get that. I don't doubt it's more powerful. Maybe noticeably so. I just know Cerny talked about raw numbers not being a good way to measure in a theoretical sense and some of the examples he gave made sense to me on a basic level. Granted if the XSX cores are similar to the PS5 cores and they have that many more that seems huge.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I couldn't care less about the Audio. 2 TV speakers, and that's it. Maybe headphones. I'm not running wires and having speakers all over my living room. Audio does absolutely jack for me.
Same.

Sony's chip is actually a custom CU that is similar to an SPU (Cell). They should have taken that budget and beefed up their GPU. A standard 2-4GB/s SSD also would save money....for a 14TF beefy GPU.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Do we know what the OS allocation is for memory? That seemed conspicuously absent.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So the rumor about BC struggles was true. It was really the "oh" moment of the presentation.
For the XSX though, the 2.5GB reserved for the system is all from the slower RAM. So the XSX split for games is 10GB of RAM with a bandwidth of 560GB/s, and only 3.5GB of RAM with a bandwidth of 336GB/s, so nearly 75% of the total RAM pool runs at the higher bandwidth.

So while it seems like a fairly even split between faster and slower portions of RAM, the pool available to games leans more more heavily towards the faster RAM, for a clearer on-paper advance for XSX.
The fact RAM will be filled twice faster is more important I think. Data streaming is such important in how games are made today, I think it was the best solution.
The question is does the bandwidth is enough for the PS5 or not. And I doesn't have enough technical knowledge to answer.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Woo, those numbers certainly look like numbers.

I only really play the PS4 (and likely the PS5) for exclusives so that all looks fine to me.

For folks who's console it will be the main preference then, juding from this generation, there'll likely be no real differences between the 5 and Series X until much later in the generation and even then that won't be that huge, right?

If you're playing and not analyzing, who cares.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you not understand what was said? It is for people like you to get virtual surround sound.....Everyone else with a actual surround setup.........nope

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So my thinking is that the clock reduction is tied to the example early on in the video with all the different first party games listed based on the fan noise, God of War being the noisiest. Now God of War doesn't take more advantage of the PS4 hardware in terms of clocks than HZD or Drive Club but some workloads in that game just make the hardware draw more power, increasing the heat and sending the fans into overdrive. These workloads are not necessarily tied to clocks but to specific usage of the system that Cerny/Sony didn't initially predict. This could cause a seemingly static menu screen to make the fans go crazy and in other instances a game can seriously push the hardware at fast framerates and you will only hear a slight background hum.

From what I understand, when the PS5 equivalent of God of War comes along or a seemingly harmless menu screen starts starts drawing beyond the 300w "soft limit" for power consumption, the system will clock itself down dynamically so the power draw stays at 300w, in the same scenario the PS4 Pro instead opts to kill the user using high frequency sound waves to melt their brain.

This is more about predicting use cases and performance profiles than it is about CPU and GPU not being able to hit sustained max clocks at the same time. Uncharted 5 might make the GPU draw more power during a specific use case than Gran Turismo 7 even though GT7 maxes out the clocks 100% of the time.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
It makes sense for Chips at equal TF - XSX is of course just higher so I think it is a point for a theoretical console with same tf number that is wider.

We also need decidedly more Info on how GPU utilisation or CPU utilisation affect the PS5 clocking. We have unfortunately no idea of that.
Without seeing how constricting the case design might be for cooling, all this would be just wild guesses, no?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony were going for a 2019 launch with 36CUs, but when things were delayed to 2020, instead of adding more CUs and having to redesign things significantly, they clocked their RDNA2 chip like crazy. That's how we got here.

Energy consumption of 36CU @ 2-2.23 GHz is probably similar to 52CU @ 1.82GHz. Bad design decisions all around...Cerny was outplayed.
This is unlikely theory. The PS5 is based on RDNA2 which would not been possible to release last year. There is also tons of custom SSD work. So it would have been much more expensive last year then year to release.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Question what advantages does PS5 have with CU speed being so high .
I know there fillrate but what else and does AMD RT scale with clock speed.
I'm not sure about fillrate actually, this is tied to ROPs numbers and XSX has 320 bit bus while PS5 has 256 bit one which may mean that XSX has more ROPs too.
Everything on chip will scale with clocks. The obvious things which will get a sizeable boost are those which are scarce in numbers like geometry engines and such.
It is hard to say how much use the traditional geometry pipeline will get next gen though, considering that both MS and Sony seem to support Mesh/Primitive shaders which are a much more efficient option of handling geometry on newer GPUs.