• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So Metro jumped the gun huh. Oops!

I saw the reviews for Astro and Miles, 7 and 8 out of 10 respectively. It's probably worth mentioning that Metro almost always score Sony games below the average, so I expect both games to fare better as a whole once all the other publications post their reviews.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Not quite the same, since you don't need to reach a save point or check point for quick resume, but honestly it's not that big of a difference.

Isn't basically every game auto-saving every few minutes? Can't see how it's any different. Actually, Quick Resume takes away Space.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Happy it's quiet, that's the most important part for me. The Switcher stuff wasn't very interesting to me since I can afford 10-20 seconds to start a new game from scratch, but good for MS for sorting that one out very nicely (despite the reported kinks).

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
So Metro jumped the gun huh. Oops!

I saw the reviews for Astro and Miles, 7 and 8 out of 10 respectively. It's probably worth mentioning that Metro almost always score Sony games below the average, so I expect both games to fare better as a whole once all the other publications post their reviews.
they gave MM an 8? opinion instantly disregarded /s

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm probably less bothered about it effectively saving the memory state when shutting down and allowing you to restart as thats how I've worked with my PS4 Pro and its been great for me. It's very rare i'm playing multiple Single Player games at the same time so having the ability to jump between them instantly doesn't matter as much.

I think Activities are going to work absolutely fine for me. Given I can also move to multiplayer modes directly from the UI is more than enough and if I can jump to specific saves or levels for single player games, I find that appealing too.

I think both the Xbox and PS5 implementations achieve similar results using different approaches. Great for anyone regardless of their console choice.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
there should be some DMCV coverage too
not sure about Godfall, a journalist said "we don't have it, but we could talk about it if we had it"

Yes and think coverage for current gen versions of certain games is happening today as well as Giant Bomb "hinted" (they basically outright said) that they'll be doing an AC stream today.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what I'm gonna do if I don't get X on 10th. With lots of stuff dropping now and on 11th (I believe?) I need a bunker or a distraction till 19th.
But yeah, let's fucking go!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I used the single game suspend for the entirety of the generation at all times.
I also only enjoy 1 game at a time, especially since PS5 is just an exclusives machine for me.
So far I'm winning because all I care about is quiet fans and fast load times and looks like we got both.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks that seems like Demon's Souls hasn't been available for review yet. I just want to see that 4k/30 mode.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is quick resume really needed when it boots games in ~7 seconds anyway?

I assume Metro jumped the gun on this review too, oops.
Not this again. Quick Resume offers several advantages that a fast SSD alone can't solve. You can skip all splash screens for example, which aren't even loading and Quick Resume isn't reliant on developers coding for it. Thus it also works on BC titles and makes loading them much faster.

It's not the end of the world, PS doesn't have this. But it would've been cool.
There is no noise. Only thing we need to know. Farewell jet engine
They finally did it!!! Amazing news.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
They have their pro and cons depending on the situation. I don't see either of those options as superior. I hope sony and ms are copying the other thing at some point.
Exactly, why can't everyone be happy lol
As far as we know*, they're two different features, doing slightly different things with pros and cons like you said. And yeah, eventually one platform holder will copy the other and vice versa, and that's basically the best thing that can happen.

*it seems to me we just don't know exactly what are the extents and limitations of both features yet. But I guess we'll know soon enough.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean people can compare multi-plat games after the review embargo has lifted?

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
What is the purpose of a review if they have been only able to play 2 games and they didn't even try backwards compatibility?

Because the review isn't about the games being playable (there are seperate game reviews for that) but more about the system, the architecture, the OS, the cooling and controller.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Not this again. Quick Resume offers several advantages that a fast SSD alone can't solve. You can skip all splash screens for example, which aren't even loading and Quick Resume isn't reliant on developers coding for it. Thus it also works on BC titles.

Lol it's crazy that people still don't understand what Quick Resume is...

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to be at least as quiet as the Xbox Series X

Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 is also able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later

tenor.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Not this again. Quick Resume offers several advantages that a fast SSD alone can't solve. You can skip all splash screens for example, which aren't even loading and Quick Resume isn't reliant on developers coding for it. Thus it also works on BC titles.

PS has "Activities" that also let you skip splash screens. We don't know if we can jump to saves though.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Especially for a multiplayer gamer like me just the thought of going straight to a match from the home screen is a game changer
Or, say in Destiny, straight to a destination. Would it work that way?

That's one of the sticking points for me with Quick Resume. It's great for single player games but how will it work for Destiny, for example? I doubt it'll start you exactly where you were on a planet or in the tower, etc., due to the online nature of the game. Activities seems to be more capable of doing that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Lol it's crazy that people still don't understand what Quick Resume is...

The activities feature should pretty much custom load, no?

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe read the thread before trying to pile on?

I didn't know quick resume could be used essentially like a save state and have responded to someone else who mentioned this.

It's a pretty neat feature that will likely be in or patched into activities in a similar way to how Fortnite is using them.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
a journalist said they have The Pathless and Bugsnax too, but they are checking NDA to see if they can talk about it today