• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean

scalebound01first1280-1438702879865_large.jpg

DfXgLTaX4AEj0Br.jpg
If anything this is a reference/nod to the reboot.
aa5.gif

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems kinda bitter at the whole situation, like he's hinting at some behind the scenes fuckery Kamiya is guilty of.

I really wonder what happened.

This isn't 100% pertaining to your post, but I suppose this is as good a place as any to include this tweet as well.

I'd say it's a case of people being careful in social media and bound by NDAs and/or fear of repercussions (especially as tiny comments that often lack the full context to really get anything substantial out of). Developers do talk (read: vent) a lot about these kinds of projects to each other (over a pint), but it's a lot easier to talk with someone who understands the environment of making games and the fact you get to have actual dialogue of substance. For example I've once listened to a friend discuss a few entire hours about just a few aspects of their character pipeline that ended up being a nightmare for the entire game and its production. But those are the things people want to talk about, yet the twitter audience will not have the substance expertise to discuss and not make a whole mess out of it and then end up in the news (and have potential real life consequences thanks to youtubers making ridiculous conspiracy theories and what not. It's just a super hostile environment for developers, and most can get the satisfying and safe discussion place from each other, not the internet.

EDIT: case in point:

Sure, that's more than understandable. I guess I'm just surprised more that worked on Scalebound haven't gotten sick of it popping up in news articles all the time to the point of trying to clear things up or elaborate, or even just "publicly" vent, even anonymously. Feels semi-common to hear about the troubles of developers from journalistic sites with anonymous or unnamed sources, I guess the relative silence on this particular project just stood out to me.

But of course it's easy to point to a handful of stories where we know things are rocky compared to the numerous amount of projects in development hell that probably exist but the public has never even heard of.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's a case of people being careful in social media and bound by NDAs and/or fear of repercussions (especially as tiny comments that often lack the full context to really get anything substantial out of). Developers do talk (read: vent) a lot about these kinds of projects to each other (over a pint), but it's a lot easier to talk with someone who understands the environment of making games and the fact you get to have actual dialogue of substance. For example I've once listened to a friend discuss a few entire hours about just a few aspects of their character pipeline that ended up being a nightmare for the entire game and its production. But those are the things people want to talk about, yet the twitter audience will not have the substance expertise to discuss and not make a whole mess out of it and then end up in the news (and have potential real life consequences thanks to youtubers making ridiculous conspiracy theories and what not. It's just a super hostile environment for developers, and most can get the satisfying and safe discussion place from each other, not the internet.

EDIT: case in point:
What? I'm not sure if you are calling my post hostile, and ridiculous. But that's not it at all.

If anything your post was the hostile one in painting people as incapable of having intelligent discourse. You don't know me, and I'd appreciate if you don't throw me in whatever that group is you are describing.

The vagueness of the discourse is what leads to people drawing their own conclusions. Whether you think people will understand the nuance or not if you are direct with your statements then people will be less likely to "make ridiculous conspiracy theories"

If my comment was totally off base then, that's fine. But it's just what I got from reading the tweet.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
We can still get a scalebound. Pretty sure MS owns the ip. Just not With platinum games

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The only aspects I was interested in was the supposed open world RPG like setting where you could supposedly fly a dragon in the open space, land, get off, and go into a town in real time with NPCs in it. That was what intrigued me the most.

It was the boss battle that did not look good, but the combat with the dragon nearby looked alright.

Feb 5, 2018
Guys, people like this game because of the concept, not because we agree that it played well. There was hope that they'd fix it and make it better, clearly thats why it failed in the first place

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This game always sounded like a good game, at no point it looked like a good game. Time to move on folks.
Same for me. I love some of Platinum Games work but I'm going to say they have a spotless record or anything, every studio can fail (and that's okay). Both Microsoft and PG can learn from the experience. Sadly the game did not look good at all on its last two showings, so it didn't surprise me when it got cancelled. Time to forget about it and enjoy what games they do release.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What? I'm not sure if you are calling my post hostile, and ridiculous. But that's not it at all.

If anything your post was the hostile one in painting people as incapable of having intelligent discourse. You don't know me, and I'd appreciate if you don't throw me in whatever that group is you are describing.

The vagueness of the discourse is what leads to people drawing their own conclusions. Whether you think people will understand the nuance or not if you are direct with your statements then people will be less likely to "make ridiculous conspiracy theories"

If my comment was totally off base then, that's fine. But it's just what I got from reading the tweet.
Sorry, intention wasn't to lump you in the group youtuber conspiracy theorists etc. but rather just to illustrate the point that even the smallest tidbits about cancelled games or similar topics quickly tend to blow up in all sorts of directions. I for example wouldn't personally draw the same conclusion from that tweet (because of the use of "we" to me feels its a team thing, and that to me from my experience is often the case, rather than things being about any single person in any given team), but I can completely understand why you would draw the conclusion and it's nothing I wouldn't expect.

I also didn't mean people are incapable of intelligent discussion, but that doesn't mean that they have the necessary experience and substance knowledge to really understand the topic in a way that they draw conclusions often from. Most of the time I see people with no development expertise talking about theories of why certain projects fails, why things schedules slip or crappy projects end up beign shipped, it's far off from the truth, but that doesn't mean that people are stupid or anything. It just that game productions can be very complex and I've rarely seen people jump to what I know or feel being the "right" conclusions (realistically though, for example in any given project even within the the team there are often as many opinions as there are team members). But I would certainly love to be proven wrong, but even with the vast amount of material available about game development, I no longer have much hope and rather stay away from many discussions that aim to extrapolate miniscule pieces of information.

Oct 26, 2017
Scalebound premise was good, but the execution was so fucking bad, like, really bad.

Just let it die and stop asking lmao, PlatinumGames fucked up and they moved one, both MS and PG moved on, while some random people are still waiting for a revival.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The different way this game was spoken about during its showings and then after its cancellation was pretty insane.

Crazy shame it got cancelled and it's obvious the blame doesnt just sit with MS.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Scalebound was Kamiya's dream game.

That bit about being his dream game seems to have been made out of whole cloth by GameSpot. The closest direct quote I have (also from them) is that a photorealistic kind of game is very different from what they normally do and something he's always wanted to make. And obviously, Project G.G. is now going to be that game. :)

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Well I have not seen those posts. Only going by what's in the tweet.

Seems like a sore spot for the guy.
His post was about how tired he is of seeing people here talking about the cancellation through hunches and feelings, as if they're intimately aware of what happened, and pushing some narrative with it that goes against both Platinum's and Microsoft statements on the matter.

It's obviously a sore spot, but pointing to this being a sign of misconduct by Kamiya during development is some massive projection on your end.

Last edited:
For all the game looked like it had problems in the demos, any game can be made good with enough time and the right adjustments.

The fundamental concept is cool. A stylish action game in which a large monster is roaming free and taking out boss-scale enemies at the same time. But one can see how it would be very difficult to engineer, and hard to balance gameplay priorities.

I for one would still like to see The Last Guardian: Ass Kicking Edition

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, intention wasn't to lump you in the group youtuber conspiracy theorists etc. but rather just to illustrate the point that even the smallest tidbits about cancelled games or similar topics quickly tend to blow up in all sorts of directions. I for example wouldn't personally draw the same conclusion from that tweet (because of the use of "we" to me feels its a team thing, and that to me from my experience is often the case, rather than things being about any single person in any given team), but I can completely understand why you would draw the conclusion and it's nothing I wouldn't expect.

I also didn't mean people are incapable of intelligent discussion, but that doesn't mean that they have the necessary experience and substance knowledge to really understand the topic in a way that they draw conclusions often from. Most of the time I see people with no development expertise talking about theories of why certain projects fails, why things schedules slip or crappy projects end up beign shipped, it's far off from the truth, but that doesn't mean that people are stupid or anything. It just that game productions can be very complex and I've rarely seen people jump to what I know or feel being the "right" conclusions (realistically though, for example in any given project even within the the team there are often as many opinions as there are team members). But I would certainly love to be proven wrong, but even with the vast amount of material available about game development, I no longer have much hope and rather stay away from many discussions that aim to extrapolate miniscule pieces of information.
Yeah, I get it, the internet can be toxic. But that wasn't my intent at all. I'm genuinely curious about what happened, because I was really looking forward to the game.
His post was about how tired he is of seeing people here talking about the cancellation through hunches and feelings, as if they're intimately aware of what happened, and pushing some narrative with it that goes against both Platinum's and Microsoft statements on the matter.

It's obviously a sore spot, but pointing to this being a sign of misconduct by Kamiya is some massive projection on your end.
Well I didn't necessarily mean it as some "misconduct" by Kamiya. Just that he was the leader of the project, and the one making the drunken comments. Seems the tweet was aimed at him in a way.

I guess I'm just imagining how I would feel if I worked on something like this and the leader made similar comments.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, that's more than understandable. I guess I'm just surprised more that worked on Scalebound haven't gotten sick of it popping up in news articles all the time to the point of trying to clear things up or elaborate, or even just "publicly" vent, even anonymously. Feels semi-common to hear about the troubles of developers from journalistic sites with anonymous or unnamed sources, I guess the relative silence on this particular project just stood out to me.

But of course it's easy to point to a handful of stories where we know things are rocky compared to the numerous amount of projects in development hell that probably exist but the public has never even heard of.
From what we know, there were failures from everyone who worked on it, and the last thing you should do in this industry is throw someone under the bus. I'd imagine it's not worth the risk — especially when discussing about it isn't something that makes them happy.

With all due respect, this is why devs don't make that effort. It's not their job to educate anyone outside of the industry, and if they try, they run the risk of getting irritated responses.

Being transparent sounds good in theory, but it doesn't work with how the Internet is. People tend to be very judgmental. Release a screenshot early in development, and you run the risk of people saying it looks too ugly, or that a downgrade will happen if it's looking too good.

I've said this in another thread, but it's important here as well: a dev being open about what they work on isn't an invitation for consumers to talk to them. Outside of community management, no dev is being paid to interact with players. Try and put yourself in this situation: why would they, if their jobs are incredibly stressful already, and this would only add more stress? I have a friend who announced they were going to work at a studio, and they received a tweet from a rando asking them to ban a guy they didn't like on Steam. Most devs who decide to say where they work on Twitter do that mainly to connect with other devs, not to talk to consumers.

Anyway, I hope the tone of this message wasn't aggressive because that's not what I wanted. Trust me: devs want to be more transparent, but it's just not healthy when that could potentially create more hostility.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I get it, the internet can be toxic. But that wasn't my intent at all. I'm genuinely curious about what happened, because I was really looking forward to the game.
Yeah fully agree and it sucks. The minority ruins for those people who'd be happy to have a healthy discussion even if people may lack the experience it. But unfortunately those rotten few can wreak havoc on people (and often on their mental health whether it's the dev having spent a chunk of their life on a failed project, or a community manager having to deal with something someone else started with some small comment). But yeah I also completely understand that people also would love some closure on the matter (even though I doubt its ever going to be enough) and I think they deserve it too, but it's unfortunately something I doubt is going to happen for the reasons mentioned :(

Well I didn't necessarily mean it as some "misconduct" by Kamiya. Just that he was the leader of the project, and the one making the drunken comments. Seems the tweet was aimed at him in a way.
Gotcha then I quite misunderstood you as well. Most developers tend to a develop a camaraderie through the trenches so I'd still guess it's a more common sadness towards the situation rather than aimed at person, but your interpretation makes complete sense when you put it that way and I wouldn't be surprised either if that was the case :)

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's a useful tool to build an anti-Microsoft narrative around

Yep. A lot of people are incurious and lazy, and either inclined to or simply comfortable with believing MS just pushed around PG and ruined something good, despite PG pretty consistently taking accountability for themselves.

Not that MS didn't make mistakes too because they most certainly did. I just don't think people who've never worked on projects are good at appreciating the ways in which they can go wrong. Sometimes things don't work out; it doesn't have to be anyone's fault.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like JP is being a bit too harsh here. I didn't get the impression that it was "a drunken meme", but a drunken truth. It feels like Kamiya still really wishes he could try it again. JP posted here on Era last year that he'd love to as well.

That being said, he obviously knows Kamiya way better than I possibly could, so if he doesn't feel honesty from his words, there's probably a reason for that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Game never looked too hot to begin with. We'll probably never see a Scalebound game so people should really move on.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The first gameplay footage looked fine to me and the trailer showing a town with NPCs looked interesting as well. It was the Gamescom footage where I started to lose interest.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I get the interest for Scalebound as a concept, which was an action RPG with towns and fighting on dragons.

I dont get the interest for Scalebound as an IP. It's tainted with failure and the design was fugly.

If anything, Scalebound as a concept could come back with a different name and design.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I never understood this even when the game was still alive.

Nero was made in 2008 and the Scalebound guy is a clear inspiration from him in pretty much every way. Not the other way around.

- Teenager
- White Hair
- Headphones
- Right arm being a ''demon arm''
- Being left handed with a sword

(Yes those things weren't first seen on Nero either but that's not the point)

Same character designer. They left Platinum and joined Capcom after Scalebound was cancelled.

False.

Tatsuya Yoshikawa worked at Capcom since 92 til 2011 when he left to become a freelancer.

He did the char designs for both DMC4 and 5.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Is it spotless because you don't count scalebound?
Well I'm obviously not going to count it as bad since I've never played it. Many of the behind-closed-doors impressions from people who did said it was turning out great, but it's unfair to count it either way since it never got released.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I understood being excited for a Kamiya game. What I cannot understand, is the obsession for this Kamiya game. Not now. A new IP by Kamiya makes more sense than trying to reboot one of the worst looking projects he's ever worked on. People hold onto to this one for weird reasons.

It should also be noted that the teams working on this for Platinum and overseeing it from Microsoft are greatly different. It can never be what it was going to be. What it was going to be didn't look good. Sometimes it's ok to cut losses and move on.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Spotless in general or just stuff he directed?

Because Astral Chain exists.
Astral Chain is also great but I was talking about him directing Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, and Wonderful 101 which is the best and most consistent directorial record in the business.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm obviously not going to count it as bad since I've never played it. Many of the behind-closed-doors impressions from people who did said it was turning out great, but it's unfair to count it either way since it never got released.

It absolutely needs to be counted. It goes against Microsoft and Kamiya/platinum because the attempt was made.

And...i don't think your behind closed doors is correct....i don't remember much positivity about this game other than the name attached.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It absolutely needs to be counted. It goes against Microsoft and Kamiya/platinum because the attempt was made.

And...i don't think your behind closed doors is correct....i don't remember much positivity about this game other than the name attached.
Here's one article written by someone who played it behind closed doors, but that was a pretty common narrative after E3 2016:

www.vg247.com

Scalebound's troubles were visible in its two-sided previews

E3 and Gamescom demos had warning signs that all was not well on Platinum & Microsoft's RPG project.

Journalists were coming out and saying "I know what they showed in the press conference looked terrible but the demo I just tried was really cool, I swear!"

Something very similar happened with W101 as well, every time Nintendo showed it off they had these horrible trailers that showed like tutorial-level combat and zoomed in really close on the tiny models that aren't meant to be scrutinized so it looked just awful. Then the game came out and it was a masterpiece.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
it's okay, the vision was too tarnished from its inception anyways. Let it go, focus on new stuff and try again in the future, when it isn't about a dudebro with a dragon and more about the girl with her dinosaur