• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nuanced conversation and one I don't actually trust your motivations for asking but to begin, one culture (appreciative or not) telling the story of another culture, no matter how reverential, is many times used as a lens or as a replacement (in the American culture) for something we don't possess formally as a people. A film like this will serve as an introduction to Dia de Los Muertos for many and as such certain assumptions are taken by the filmakers in what and how to present something both alien and familiar to their intended audience. Initially, the hook for many will be purely visual.

Hopefully what they've crafted in the full film is a convincing artifice. The preview however showed only the most base conventions of preview making as it's been crafted since around the mid 90's.

Animated films while getting better with how they weave other cultures into a familiar narrative (e.g Pocahontas vs Moana), are crafted to entertain and perhaps introduce conflated culture assumptions that most people won't care about whatsoever.

The preview was standard. Wonder! Adventure! Self Discovery! Breathtaking visuals!

This type of preview for a film is a well oiled machine.

Once again, I'm glad to hear that the film itself is an enjoyable one and my husband and I will be checking it out (I rarely see movies in the theater these days) probably next week.

I was just reminded of that terrible depiction of the"land of the dead" in Corpse Bride :|

Well it has been out in Mexico for three weeks and it's now the highest grossing movie in that country ever, so I'd say it probably handled things just fine.

I personally thought it was fantastic.

It's better than Inside Out, Moana, Zootopia. I can go on. I loved it.

I wouldn't go that far.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched it tonight. Pretty good. Better than a lot of recent Pixar.
Didn't dig the 40 minuets Frozen 2 shit though.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Saw it and love it. The story went through some interesting turns and became really heartwarming at the end. I wasn't too sure about this movie, but I think it ended up being one of my favorite films from Pixar, or least close.

And damn, the Land of the Dead really turned out to be quite beautiful to look at.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Watched the movie two weekends ago, will probably go again next one with my family.

It's a predictable movie with a good twist and a heartwarming message, beautiful and sad at the same time. A good representation of the Mexican culture and family values.

I'm curious to hear opinions of people here for the diversity of cultures but here in Mexico teary eyes and knots in the throat were normal.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Mexico there was a meme that if you didnt cry you had no soul so hopefully it hit you guys just as hard

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from it. Fantastic movie. It was odd that there were a few light rain showers in the theater though. Movie resonated with me a lot as it hit home with personal events.

One particular story moment I felt got dragged on a bit too long before resolving, after which I think should've been expanded on. But aside from that, not much to complain about the movie Coco. Lighting, design was absolutely gorgeous. Had to see it in 3D which I still think is terrible in general. Some real bad 3D shots, but mostly decent and not invasive.

The Frozen short, obviously formatted for iPad screens, was 15 minutes too long, and was a real terrible break in tradition of damn fine shorts before films. Really did not like this. But hey, I'm not the target audience.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Took the kids to see this this morning and loved it. First theater was sold out of. The first showings, so we went to a different one and it was worth it.

I'll admit the frozen short bored me to death and I literally fell asleep on it. I think the 2 beers didn't help with that, but not a big fan of frozen and the overmarketing they continue to do with it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I was listening to NPR and they said it did really well in Mexico. I hope it does well here in the states so we can enjoy more stories like it.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That teaser of the kid playing the guitar to the TV really put me off to the film. The kid's face looked so annoying.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
My mom is hyped for this movie. Like she's trying to take my son and his mom to go see it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Well it has been out in Mexico for three weeks and it's now the highest grossing movie in that country ever, so I'd say it probably handled things just fine.

I wouldn't go that far.
I would certainly go that far, well Zootopis is debatable

Also 10 minutes too long

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting here in the theater, 20 minutes before the movie starts. Just found out the short is 20 minutes of Olaf.

Shoot Me
Seriously almost walked out during that. So hard to sit through. My little brother kept asking when the actual movie was going to start.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will watch this Saturday. I'm not in the "Pixar has SO lost it, GO FROZEN !! LET IT GO!!" camp. Inside out proved that they are still absolutely amazing and imaginative. And for a forced sequel, Finding Dory was about as good as a Finding Nemo sequel could possibly be, I felt.

I wish The Good Dinosaur and Brave didn't exist in the Pixar filmography, but if Coco is another great original film, then we are on our way to a return to form for Pixar.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An extremely well-paced movie loved it. It was very well thought out, plot holes covered quickly, and they were able to tell such an elaborate story with so much to explain in such a short time while still being fun and memorable.
But for a movie whose premise is about music, I was a little let down with the few musical numbers we had. I just felt like everything was cut short and I kept wanting more. Favorite number is definitely the number with the grandmother on stage, very reminiscent of actual live performances for Mexican Singers. And I cannot forget about how fun Poco Loco was.

edit:
Will watch this Saturday. I'm not in the "Pixar has SO lost it, GO FROZEN !! LET IT GO!!" camp. Inside out proved that they are still absolutely amazing and imaginative. And for a forced sequel, Finding Dory was about as good as a Finding Nemo sequel could possibly be, I felt.

I wish The Good Dinosaur and Brave didn't exist in the Pixar filmography, but if Coco is another great original film, then we are on our way to a return to form for Pixar.

*Likes Brave* Okay....

Uh. Best way to put Coco is what if Disney made a very good non-princess film. From its storytelling, it was extremely hard to believe it was a Pixar film. Everything felt more Disney until you start getting heavily into the Mexican culture and attention to detail Pixar makes.
Coco is very imaginative, a pretty predictable plot which is fine, but there was never a pointless moment as every scene carried the story forward.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know this was already out. I've seen literally no promotion for this anywhere in The Netherlands.

EDIT: Ah, it's coming out in four days. My original point still stands though, seen literally nothing.

jimmytutron

Oct 27, 2017
just watched it. I loved it. I actually cried.
I recently lost my grandpa last year so this movie really connected with me personally. T_T
it was beautiful too I think it might be up there with some of Pixar's best.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Brits won't see Coco until late January 2018. Like, WTF?

Thank goodness I don't visit movie threads often, it will be annoying to avoid spoilers for 2 months.

How awkward and stupid would it be if they show that Frozen special when it's all about Christmas....but Christmas is already over.

EDIT: Oh wait! just seen that the Frozen special can be seen early in the UK as in 2 days time, if you buy the new Frozen limited edition Blu-ray/DVD! Why thank you Disney! /s

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
My kids saw it today with my in-laws and they said it was "sad".

This was my take away. It was okay, some good stuff some bad. But I also feel using Dia de Los Muertos for the narrative they did was just somewhat too morbid

Odd tone to it, though enjoyable enough music, comedy, visuals, and even some well done emotional scenes

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning was terrible and I'm not talking about the movie.

Trailers, followed by a 20 minute long Frozen short, followed by a thank you from Pixar. It took 40 minutes before the movie begun. Fuck this shit.

But the film was great. Cried my eyes out. Easily their most emotional affair from start to finish.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
After having a little bit of time to reflect on it, one specific scene came to mind. They did a close up of the main character, focusing on his eyes and the color of his skin as he played the guitar and I had so much feels as a brown guy...I think Im excited for my black friends to see Black Panther in February...representation matters a lot.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The beginning was terrible and I'm not talking about the movie.

Trailers, followed by a 20 minute long Frozen short, followed by a thank you from Pixar. It took 40 minutes before the movie begun. Fuck this shit.
Oh yeah, forgot about that Pixar bit. After the dang unending Frozen crap, it just pissed me off that they delayed the movie a little more so they could spoil their favorite visual from the movie right before showing the movie.

OP
OP
Realeza

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should go watch this this weekend. Still thinking about it and how amazing it was.

Might be my favorite Pixar movie after Toy Story 3.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I might be in the minority, but i thoroughly enjoyed the Frozen "short" which shows cultural appreciation and acceptation as something to strive for, which Coco just finishes specially in other countries that aren't Mexico.

Also the gag with the fruit cake? Superv.

Can't wait for the meltdowns from right wing bozos.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I really like the movie was very nice and sweet.

Didn't like the Frozen thing because I think my bias against it, and the fact my theater started late anyways, so the extra time to the short didn't help

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was with the weird aspect ratio for the Frozen short btw? Was that regular 16:9 made to fit a modern HDTV? I've never seen that in any other Disney/Pixar short before.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Resetera, the movie looks fuego and it comes out tonight, yet there's not a thread anywhere in the first three pages!

coco.jpg

Don't be a cabron de mierda and watch the movie! Current RT score is 95.
I second the notion you should request the title to be changed into the OT of this movie. (I suggest anyone sing the 96% Certified Fresh rating in the title)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I was and am very, very excited. I can't say the Lasseter thing didn't throw a wet blanket on that excitement though. I'll see it, but it feels worse for sure now.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What was with the weird aspect ratio for the Frozen short btw? Was that regular 16:9 made to fit a modern HDTV? I've never seen that in any other Disney/Pixar short before.
I think it was meant to be a Christmas TV short that they later on decided to attach to Coco's theatrical release, that might explain the aspect ratio if it was 16:9

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017

I wouldn't go that far.
All of the listed movies are going for very different things. Coco is extremely special in that the title is inextricably linked to Miguel's great-grandmother. We typically do not see children's media exploring their older relatives stories to the extent that Coco has. It operates as both a bildingsroman and a life retrospective. It's an extremely powerful film that literally everyone can relate to. I was in tears.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was meant to be a Christmas TV short that they later on decided to attach to Coco's theatrical release, that might explain the aspect ratio if it was 16:9
The run time of 22 minutes is also suspiciously similar to what a half hour tv special with commercials would be. So you might be up to something. Provided that the aspect ratio was indeed 16:9.