• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Make a game and go sign a deal with Xbox lol

They are not going to give numbers and specifics about games since they are pretty much different and not all games or devs want the same thing.
Clearly they aren't going to release that level on granularity on the deals. That wouldn't be fair to either MS or the individual teams and their deals.

The fact that they have, and are continuing to, modify their deals to accommodate different teams and their goals is promising going forward.
why would they share that?
I'm not saying they SHOULD or that it would be a good idea. I'm just saying I want to know. All of this nebulous talk about what the deals are like are basically pointless without that data.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I want concrete numbers and specific about those deals.

"We paid BitMonkeys eleventy thousand dollars to put Shoot-mc-boomy 2 on Game Pass for 10 months plus reduced their marketplace cut from 30% to 15% for all of their in-game macro-transactions."
While they don't mention games, 'we paid all the production costs on some titles' is pretty dang specific.

May 15, 2019
Subsidizing development in order to get it on GamePass while keeping the game available on other platforms is so much better than paying to keep the game off another store or platform. They're adding value to their service instead of taking away from others.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the most interesting thing to me that seems to be ignored to pound a joke into the ground is the last bit. When it started, Game Pass was based on usage, which I feel was something a lot of people disputed even in the early days. Glad that changed, because that would be terrible, especially for smaller developers and games.
I think people disputed it because we only heard about devs being payed up front.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm not saying they SHOULD or that it would be a good idea. I'm just saying I want to know. All of this nebulous talk about what the deals are like are basically pointless without that data.

There's no nebolous talk, these are deals made by Xbox and the devs, why do you want to know the details?

Do you also want to know how much money is EPIC GAMES throwing at devs for exclusivity?
Or how much money Sony is paying for timed titles?

They have no obligations to share with the public the details of private contracts.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Must be very tempting for a small dev house to have that guaranteed income. A lot less risk, which is great.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I want concrete numbers and specific about those deals.

"We paid BitMonkeys eleventy thousand dollars to put Shoot-mc-boomy 2 on Game Pass for 10 months plus reduced their marketplace cut from 30% to 15% for all of their in-game macro-transactions."

You have about as much chance as finding out what Sony paid for FF16 exclusivity or Epic buying game exclusivity etc. They will never share exact contract details. If for no other reason than putting themselves at a disadvantage when negotiating deals with other devs.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think people disputed it because we only heard about devs being payed up front.

Which clearly wasn't always the case, so just goes to show how little information we actually had/have about how MS operates Game Pass. Glad it changed, like I said, though I admit I fear they may eventually return to that model once GP reaches a certain level. Hopefully not, though

noeybys

Aug 8, 2020
All this tells me is, how much a studio can profit from having their games on gamepass depends on how well they can negotiate with Microsoft.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
All this tells me is, how much a studio can profit from having their games on gamepass depends on how well they can negotiate with Microsoft.

I mean, this is not that surprising is it? In a system like this, obviously how much money you make depends on the product you make and how you sell it, MS was never going to send out blank cheques to all developers and ask them to name their price.

Another topic that I find a bit concerning is further down in the interview, Phil says:

Phil Spencer said:
My hope is we will get there, and maybe not 100 percent, maybe some hybrid model, which I think could work. We already have a revshare relationship with most of the content creators because we have a store, a digital store on our Xbox, which is basically a usage-based thing if you think about it. I buy the game, we take a cut, they take a cut, and we build success together. I'm hoping we can get to a model, where as we see upside, they see upside.

This is referring to the fact that playtime is their most useful metric, and that they would like to move in the direction of a model that is tied to that. I hope they're not going to sacrifice diversity and risk for engagement metrics!

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So, in some cases MS pays for the development of a game without restricting it from other platforms.

In the past, revenue would be from sales and exclusivity, now the revenue is from the subscription. Which frees up the dev to pursue sales elsewhere.

In other words, as Era would say, very "pro consumer".

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Xbox have so much money behind them means they can experiment with loads of funding approaches. Perhaps over time it'll become more standardised, and there could be issues of devs getting better deals than others if they negotiate right, but being able to get that floor of financial security is a hell of a pull and an everybody wins situation.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory:
htJxYto.jpg

Err...why?

noeybys

Aug 8, 2020
I mean, this is not that surprising is it? In a system like this, obviously how much money you make depends on the product you make and how you sell it, MS was never going to send out blank cheques to all developers and ask them to name their price.

Yes. thats what I meant by negotiating.

From the thread title I was hoping to read about some solid metrics like x amt of dollars per install with y % completion rate or z hours played etc.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

This is sarcasm right?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
as a concerned gamer I need receipts to make sure this is legal and sustainable.

but I will never ever buy an Xbox in my life

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Which of these massive companies disclosure deals in such a detailed way?

I mean, it'd be helpful for sure, but I don't think we should expect it.

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was based on licensing the game. Pay X money for a Y period of time. It's interesting that it depends on the developer needs.
There is always going to be variation. You as an indie dev are not necessarily going to get the same type of deal or terms as say Capcom or CDPR for example. The terms could also be different depending on if your game is launching with less buzz/hype direct to GP vs if it was already wildly popular on other platforms and there his higher demand for it before a port to Xbox etc. Those kinds of things definitely play into negotiations for any type of distribution (music/ movies etc).

Now that might not be an issue for you depending on the size of your team, how much revenue you need to make ends meet & profit vs how much of an ROI you were projecting etc etc etc.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I always thought it was based on licensing the game. Pay X money for a Y period of time. It's interesting that it depends on the developer needs.

I'd imagine it works that way. A game that they pay the development costs for and allow to be sold on other platforms most likely has a long time period of inclusion. These statements just reflect that when payment is made (and what payment is for) is flexible. Also, just a disclaimer, I have zero knowledge of how these deals work and am just speculating as a fan.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Sounds like how Netflix got relatively good licensing deals early on. If they're mostly paying flat fees to devs, it will depend on how much the devs think GP will cannibalize other platform sales. The more GP subscribers there are, the more cannibalization will happen and devs will demand higher fees. Hopefully Xbox first party gets well established before that happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Ubi doesn't need a lump sum up front for the division and it makes sense for them to negotiate something around users and playtime as well as an X month contract, where as a new indie game could use a lump sum up front to be profitable

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

From the thread title I was hoping to read about some solid metrics like x amt of dollars per install with y % completion rate or z hours played etc.
Ah sorry, missed the rhetorical thing you were doing with that statement haha. But I agree, I would love to get the data and it's sad that we're probably never going to know. Would be very interesting to know what metrics they are tracking and how they value them differently. Phil mentions "hours played" in this interview but I'm sure they're cranking stats like how often, how long per session, what completion, as you mention. I also wonder what kind of qualitative analysis they're doing. I know last year I was looking for jobs I can get with my anthropology degree and MS was hiring for Xbox specifically.

I'd hope that they're looking pushing a number of different forms of engagement. I love my Forza Horizon that I can pop into for a short session every day, and that's probably my most played game, but you can't have every single game like that.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
While they don't mention games, 'we paid all the production costs on some titles' is pretty dang specific.
That's not specific, since production costs for games ranges wildly depending on the game and developer.

There's no nebolous talk, these are deals made by Xbox and the devs, why do you want to know the details?

Do you also want to know how much money is EPIC GAMES throwing at devs for exclusivity?
Or how much money Sony is paying for timed titles?

They have no obligations to share with the public the details of private contracts.
I mean, yes? I would love to know the answers to those questions. I think everyone on this board would. We have threads upon threads (including this one) talking of such deals with basically no information. I think people would be very interested in finding out those details.

This is sarcasm right?
What's sarcastic about wanting to have numbers to talk about?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's not specific, since production costs for games ranges wildly depending on the game and developer.

I mean, yes? I would love to know the answers to those questions. I think everyone on this board would. We have threads upon threads (including this one) talking of such deals with basically no information. I think people would be very interested in finding out those details.

It is a fixed amount. Granted we don't know what that amount is, but it is specific. :P

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

It reads like you want them to tell us the exact amount of money that changed hands. Like they are beholden to give the public a spreadsheet of where the money went and a copy of the contract. Not sure that's what you are angling for but level of detail is well beyond what they owe the general public .
Edit: for the sake of curiosity it's interesting but due to the broad range of deals doesn't say anything of all of the deals they made.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Reading this I don't get the impression that that is possible. It feels each deal is different depending on the developer. So just because say one dev gets $30 per install for say 30% completion another may get $10 per install at 10% completion rate. So just because it's the same kind of deal doesn't mean it is the same deal.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Makes sense that indies and traditional publishers want very different things. A new indie can't risk taking pay off of usage, since there's a decent risk that'd come in pretty low. And the one-time payment they need is small enough for MS to pay it out of GamePass revenues. A bigger game is looking more to experiment for ways to make money on older titles whose sales have slowed to a trickle, so it's worth seeing if making it freely available for a little bit of subscription money brings in more dollars than selling it standalone for discount prices.

Oct 27, 2017
Well the options are an upfront payment, a usage-based commission, and probably some hybrid of the two. With the upfront payment, Spencer says that in some cases it covers the entire development cost of the game leaving retail sales/DLC to generate all the profit for the developer.

So the question is whether GP covers the development cost of a small, medium, or big budget type of game. I'm guessing it can vary depending on the type of game (replayability) and the term of the contract. Whether it's coming to GP at launch versus a year later. There's a lot of variables.

An indie game might cost $1 million to make while a mid-budget game is probably $20 million or so. I'm guessing that they are anticipating GP to cover the development cost of all their in-house games though and a lot of them are definitely big budget.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

But why would they owe you that info? That's between them and bitmonkeys.

Like, do you wanna know RDJs contract stops for Iron Man?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

Because the detailed specifics of a contract between Microsoft and the development company is an unattainable pipe dream. So long as it remains unattainable it means spacer can never be satisfied...which means 'Gamepass continues to be unsustainable BS'

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Is Gamepass profitable yet is the question.

My guess would be that its nearing profitability or recently passed it.

The only reason I say this is because I don't believe MS would twice announce numbers for a service that wasn't profitable, because if it wasn't profitable, or sustainable, announcing numbers would be egg on their face in front of shareholders if they ended up closing the service in 2 years time because they couldn't continue to fund it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All bases covered.

Phil also mentioned how EA play games are now suddenly exposed to GP audience. What does that mean? EA have a higher probability in growing their base due to new gamers coming on board. And they are free to manage that relationship if the players choose to pursue it.

Jul 26, 2018
If anything, I'm buying/considering buying games or DLCs for games that I only tried because they're on GPU. If the F2P model works for some, I'm not sure why GP wouldn't be a good fit for some developers too.