• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's wildly funny that a silly thing like that gave Xbox such a substantial lead to start the generation.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So Harrison was really on during the PS3 launch, the Xbox one launch, and now the stadia launch.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
OP gives zero context. The blue laser diode necessary for the Bluray drive was the component and in shortage at the time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I highly doubt it cost 5 cents either considering Toshiba players were 1000 dollars at the time.

not a good example.

Early adopter audio/video equipment has hilariously high profit margins built in because they're not mass market items. The broader market wouldn't buy in until there were way more blu ray discs than existed at the time (if ever) so most of that audience is buying on potential, and by and large they aren't price sensitive, they just want the latest and greatest and will pay for it.

This is expecially true for audio equipment for some reason. "Audiophile" stuff (receivers, speakers, cables, players) that costs hundreds or thousands at retail but consists of parts that cost a few dollars is all over the place.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
was this not common knowledge? i remember around the time of the ps3 that everyone i knew that was into videogames was mentioning a shortage of a part for the blu-ray player was the reason it got a delay over here

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't a similar thing end up happening with the Saturn where they didn't want a chip because it was too expensive, supposedly but only by a ridiculously small amount, but then delayed it and ended up panicking and spending more money by throwing a bunch of extra hardware in the system when they saw what the PSONE could do

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
was this not common knowledge? i remember around the time of the ps3 that everyone i knew that was into videogames was mentioning a shortage of a part for the blu-ray player was the reason it got a delay over here
Well, that's what level headed people said. But outside of that it was "Sony is so greedy, they're selling them really expensive with so few, so they sell out and look like a genius, so they can say they have a shortage."

Oct 27, 2017
It was slated for a Spring 2006 release, which always felt unrealistic when you looked at the software line up.

Then the diode issue was blamed for the system being delayed to November. The European release was pushed to March 2007.

I believe it. They probably didn't want yo give Microsoft a full year on the market and we've seen consoles launch with a small amount of rushed software.

The PS3 launch line up was pretty strong but was going up against Gears of War and a $200 price difference. Tough circumstances to recover from, I'm impressed they did.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the first one today...

This is a must watch for all gaming fans, there's a bunch of facinating inside stories that Phil reveals.

Reminds me that Nintendo of 90s were appalling, really abused thier leadership with Devs, thier heavy handed approach with licensing and carts was disgusting . Sony being left with their trousers down was perhaps the best thing to happen to this industry though, literally snatched console market from Nintendo, and re-established what gaming is.

Thanks Ryan, loved every second of it. I respect Phil for having helped both Sony and MS.

HOLY shit at the admission about Lionhead! Lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP gives zero context. The blue laser diode necessary for the Bluray drive was the component and in shortage at the time.

giphy.gif

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Didn't a similar thing end up happening with the Saturn where they didn't want a chip because it was too expensive, supposedly but only by a ridiculously small amount, but then delayed it and ended up panicking and spending more money by throwing a bunch of extra hardware in the system when they saw what the PSONE could do

Haha that kind of sounds right.

Both the Saturn and the Jaguar stand out as consoles that are architecturally bizarre, almost nonsensical. Not even in hindsight, it should have been clear that they were poorly conceived and were going to be extremely rough to develop and take advantage of in software due to the cludged designs.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
So wait.. this guy was at Sony for the PS3 launch, Xbox for the Xbox One launch and now at Google for the Stadia launch. The first two were pretty bad, I can only assume at this point the third one will be too. Not much of a good luck charm is he?

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Blue laser diodes are what makes Blu-Ray (hence the name) and HD-DVD possible.
They were nowhere near $0.05 - that is like ~3 orders of magnitude off.
Everybody back then had huge problems with yields (like with any new technology), but everybody was forced to launch due to the 2 wars going on (console war, optical disc format war).