• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Is anyone else kinda deeply shocked that Trump wasn't lying when he said a Vaccine was weeks away? I laughed and seriously thought that was his biggest lie of the debate...

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else kinda deeply shocked that Trump wasn't lying when he said a Vaccine was weeks away? I laughed and seriously thought that was his biggest lie of the debate...

He wasn't thinking of this one. He always kept pushing for Johnson &Johnson vaccine, when even JJ said they were not ready due to last min side effects.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Ideally, world governments would pool together funds to have other biotech factories begin producing the vaccine. This is too important for only one company to reap financial rewards, and too big for an assertion of intellectual property to stand. This can still be a windfall for Pfizer/Biontech, but it must not be exclusively that.

Yeah I agree. Hell it would even be in the best interest of even businesses to give money.

the sooner every country gets the vaccine, the quicker the world can return to some sense of normality.

I know that it's wishful thinking and my sense of optimism, but I would be so happy with a vaccine out by spring to let us have a normal summer. This atleast gives me hope. I cannot believe we might be in this state for another 7 months minimum but man can a boy dream

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I agree. Hell it would even be in the best interest of even businesses to give money.

the sooner every country gets the vaccine, the quicker the world can return to some sense of normality.

I know that it's wishful thinking and my sense of optimism, but I would be so happy with a vaccine out by spring to let us have a normal summer. This atleast gives me hope. I cannot believe we might be in this state for another 7 months minimum but man can a boy dream

"Yes, everyone died of Covid, but for a beautiful moment in time we created a lot of value for shareholders"

Last edited:

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Great news. Really hope it's ready and out before summer. Should be free and mass produced with the help of all governments as it literally is a life and death situation and every will benefit from it.

But Not gonna lie, I can't help but think of I am legend and it's cancer cure lol.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
"Yes, everyone died of Covid, but for a beautiful moment in time we created a lot of value for shareholders"

Some of these takes..

They managed to get a vaccine, in less than a year, to 90% efficiency, and people are coming in this thread saying they won't take it and that these companies are corrupt and doing it solely for the money. The fucking state of the arrogance, and inanity of some of these posts.

Also, fuck, if there's anything to spend money on it's a fucking vaccine. Y'all buying PS5 day one, but demand that a vaccine which could potentially save your life and let you outside might cost you money...

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Some of these takes..

They managed to get a vaccine, in less than a year, to 90% efficiency, and people are coming in this thread saying they won't take it and that these companies are corrupt and doing it solely for the money. The fucking state of the arrogance, and inanity of some of these posts.

Read my previous post. This was a reply to a reply to that.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
storing this specific vaccine could be problematic in developing countries, it requires -70 degrees C (-94 F) for storage :(

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak on Qanon tinfol hat energy.

But as a med student, I've lost count of the number of doctors and other health-care professionals I've spoken to who will avoid taking the vaccine for as long as possible.

Even today when the news of this vaccine broke. The med students and GPs I spoke to met the news with a lot of skepticism.

With vaccines on trial here in the UK especially there's a lot of concern regarding reduced standards of testing, because of course our government wouldn't stick to EU guidelines regarding safety.,

There's got to be some degree of bollocks with this

Doctors are prone to hyperbole, doesn't mean that should make it's way out here. I would assume none of these doctors are too close to actually giving out vaccines, or know intimately the development process and safety regulations of vaccines.

I'm a pediatrician, I'm excited about these results, and I'll be glad to get it as soon as the process allows. One of my co-workers is in the trial. She's pretty sure she got the placebo, and is hopeful they fold the placebo arm in to the treatment arm sooner rather than later.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That would be roughly a third of the EU population vaccinated by summer if certification runs smooth and the logistics hold up. That's halfway to potentially archieve herd immunity.
Actually, even a third would be a huge boost to herd immunity. It creates a lot of dead ends which kills the exponential growth.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
There are others in development that don't require that. They just aren't going to be ready as early as the first batches, they take more work

yup, it just shows distribution/logistics of the vaccine is just as important as making one

i am not looking forward to the 2 dose ones

but it is a good thing there are many kinds of vaccines being developed

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
yup, it just shows distribution/logistics of the vaccine is just as important as making one

i am not looking forward to the 2 dose ones

but it is a good thing there are many kinds of vaccines being developed
Yea, I wanna say it's Merck that is working on a single dose temperature resilient vaccine. They skipped the rush to be first for trying to create a more worldwide applicable vaccine

Oct 27, 2017
Well if by weeks away you mean many weeks away.

Even this vaccine is not going to be deployed soon.

The excitement comes from new vaccines being readied in less than the previous four year record time table.

Trump simply lied about this to get support and halfway bungled into the possibility of it not being a complete fabrication of reality.

It's emblematic of his tenure, to barely pay attention to serious conversations and regurgitate bits and pieces that suit his reality.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
While this is promising, people need to realize that it will take time to mass produce and ship the vaccine to every country that needs it.

We won't go back to "normal" until the covid vaccine is as readily available as the flu shot. Which hopefully will be by the end of next year.

Oct 27, 2017

Trump was trying to push that we'd all be getting vaccinated. Everyone knew there were going to be Phase 3 results at some point in the fall.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I get my booster shot tomorrow morning. I got a brief bout of chills and a massive headache a day after the first dose. We will how the booster shot treats me.
The folks administering my trial have said their number one question from participants is if they would be notified about getting the placebo or not should the vaccine work.

Oct 27, 2017
I get my booster shot tomorrow morning. I got a brief bout of chills and a massive headache a day after the first dose. We will how the booster shot treats me.
The folks administering my trial have said their number one question from participants is if they would be notified about getting the placebo or not should the vaccine work.

This is an extremely dumb question but do the vaccine side effects respond to the usual otc medicine / were you allowed to take any?

I've never had significant side effects from the flu shot so I don't know.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
This is an extremely dumb question but do the vaccine side effects respond to the usual otc medicine / were you allowed to take any?

I've never had significant side effects from the flu shot so I don't know.

You can take meds as normal. They did request notification if side effects were very severe though. I purposely didn't look up possible side effects as I didn't want to make myself sick.

I still doubt that I got the real vaccine though. They asked screening questions for the computer to use to determine which vaccine group to place people into. I was upfront about how extremely cautious I've been since Texas went into lock down.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oh how convenient this comes after biden is announced the winner of the election. VERY convenient indeed...

I expect to hear for the next 6-12 months

Oct 28, 2017
I think we can safely say, that at least in the U.S., there will be a significant number of people who refuse to get vaccinated. I'm just hoping enough do it that we can achieve a level of herd immunity that will be enough for the virus to eventually burn itself out. Day 1 for me.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I mean, anyone who has been paying attention to this knew that we've been expecting vaccine trial information and (hopefully) approval for use by mid-late Nov, early Dec. While he was technically not lying, it was still misleading in that it makes people think that's the timeline for the general population to have access to it, which is false. Elderly and First-Responders come first.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
storing this specific vaccine could be problematic in developing countries, it requires -70 degrees C (-94 F) for storage :(

It's going to be a real challenge in developed countries too. Many areas don't have access to that kind of cold storage, especially in the amount that will be needed for widespread vaccination efforts.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
A general question about vaccines, once you take it, is that pretty much guaranteed safety within the margin of efficacy? Or, is it mandatory that everyone around you also took the vaccine?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
A general question about vaccines, once you take it, is that pretty much guaranteed safety within the margin of efficacy? Or, is it mandatory that everyone around you also took the vaccine?
This type of vaccine, safety within the margin of efficacy. So once you have it, you should be safe.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Are there any potential issues with multiple vaccines in the general population? Let's say that a third of the population takes the Pfizer vaccine, and then another third takes the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and then the other third takes another one. Do we have to take any other precautions due to the differences in vaccine and failure rates?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any potential issues with multiple vaccines in the general population? Let's say that a third of the population takes the Pfizer vaccine, and then another third takes the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and then the other third takes another one. Do we have to take any other precautions due to the differences in vaccine and failure rates?
No.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Like others above said, Trump was going off public time-tables and adding a dash of bullshit. The Pfizer trial was a blind study; the CEO of Pfizer didn't even know the results until last Sunday afternoon.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's not. Even if it's approved within weeks, production and distribution will eat up a significant amount of time. This vaccine in particular has to be stored in ultra-cold temperatures creating a huge logistical hurdle in the cold chain. As Fauci said and has always said, it won't be available to Americans until next spring.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
That was a few weeks ago , and the best case scenario timeline is the end of December for this vaccine- and even then only in enough numbers for frontline healthcare providers and high risk in the December-February window. I'm not sure how much credit he gets here, that timeline fits pretty solidly with the one Fauci and other experts have been optimistic about for months, but not very well with what Trump was selling during the debate.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
That's fucking huge if it holds. Movie Theaters by May?

Two doses, weeks apart and then probably another few weeks before the vaccine reaches full effectiveness. I'd say, assuming this optimistic timeline of doses being readily available to the public by ~April is accurate, that by the time a slim majority of Americans have been vaccinated and are up to full protection, we're easily into late summer/early fall. Don't know what that means for theaters, but it means that we're still living with the virus as a disruptive force to our daily existence for most of next year at a minimum.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we can safely say, that at least in the U.S., there will be a significant number of people who refuse to get vaccinated. I'm just hoping enough do it that we can achieve a level of herd immunity that will be enough for the virus to eventually burn itself out. Day 1 for me.

I dunno, I think a lot of people are gonna get FOMO. If this starts going full bore in the summer and you have places that start throwing huge events where you need to show you've been vaccinated to attend and everyone who got the vaccine is just having a Fucking blast, people who might have been on the fence or dubious to the vaccine might just say fuck it and do it to be able to enjoy "regular" life again.

Businesses making you prove you got the vaccine is 100% going to be a thing (think Broadway, indoor concerts, NBA games etc.)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is heartbreaking
Don't be it's just for Pfizer's candidate. With Pfizer reporting results that are this incredible it's very unlikely that other Vaccine candidates (especially Moderna which is also an mRNA candidate) don't also have similar amount of effectiveness and can be manufactured to help give us a higher stock and more focused distribution.

Regardless of how people try to poke at Pfizer's imperfections the overall premise of the vaccine working and working this well is proving that these vaccines can and will end this pandemic and should be ending it by the end of 2021 at worst

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
That's fucking huge if it holds. Movie Theaters by May?

I can see that honestly. Between this, Biden, and the Lilly treatment being approved as well, things are a lot more positive around that time next year. Still would wear a mask until they say it generally safe to not wear one, but I at least no longer fearing if I had my mask off to eat something.