• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Mask wearing is here to stay and glad it has been normalized in the states...I see myself wearing one in public for the rest of my life now...

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
COVID fucking sucks. What I don't get is why we need yearly shots. Isn't the protein spike the one thing that makes COVID so unique and the vaccines allow our T cells to recognize and suppress those?

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I'd true they need to figure out how to combine it with the flu shot. Getting 2 shots yearly I'm not sure about that.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the CEO people. There's been talk about this throughout the year+. We're kinda in the wait-and-see phase.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
COVID fucking sucks. What I don't get is why we need yearly shots. Isn't the protein spike the one thing that makes COVID so unique and the vaccines allow our T cells to recognize and suppress those?
Your T cells might not have infinite memory and forget about the spike if not for a booster (for instance why Pfizer or Moderna are two shots).
For now we now protection is still liek 90%+ for 6 months or so, but have no idea how much longer it can last (as we havent been vaccinated for that long).

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Mask wearing is here to stay and glad it has been normalized in the states...I see myself wearing one in public for the rest of my life now...

I have nothing against wearing a mask right now, when we're in a pandemic. I sincerely hope that this shit doesn't remain the same beyond this year... In 2022 or 2023 I don't want mask wearing to be the norm.

And I sincerely hope COVID-19 vaccinations don't require annual booster shots. I just want everything to go back to normal (eventually). No masks, 20,000 fans in a hockey arena, freely sitting inside a restaurant, etc.

That has to be the goal (eventually). Whether it's 2022 or 2023. I will not be happy if we have to wear masks forever.

OP
OP
Maple

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I don't want COVID to be the new flu that's here forever.

It is. It's a highly transmissible virus.

COVID-19 and its variants will be circulating at some relatively lowish level in our society for the rest of our lives. It's impossible to completely eradicate a virus like this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I have nothing against wearing a mask right now, when we're in a pandemic. I sincerely hope that this shit doesn't remain the same beyond this year... In 2022 or 2023 I don't want mask wearing to be the norm.

And I sincerely hope COVID-19 vaccinations don't require annual booster shots. I just want everything to go back to normal (eventually). No masks, 20,000 fans in a hockey arena, freely sitting inside a restaurant, etc.

That has to be the goal (eventually). Whether it's 2022 or 2023. I will not be happy if we have to wear masks forever.

This is like wanting a world without the flu, not gonna happen.

Wearing masks is a small price to pay though.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mask wearing will always and forever prevent unnecessary illness and death from respiratory viruses, so it's really not such a bad thing. There's a reason they are common in Asia.

I don't think it will be mandated by state/local governments forever though unless there is a really bad spike and hospitals are getting overwhelmed.

I do expect certain employers/businesses to mandate it indefinitely though which is fine.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Does anyone know if booster shots usually affect the body as much as the second dose of the vaccine?
It usually depends on the dose you get and the virus characteristics it targets. We won't know this for a while when a booster is developed and people start getting it. Like flu shots, some people react differently in different years.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If it's needed, I'll be perfectly fine with annualized shots. I'm already doing it with the flu after all.

I'd like for my insurance to completely cover it like the flu, though.

Xairi

Oct 28, 2020
If this is the case then would you have to have your annual shot be from the same vaccine? Like if you had your first 2 shots from Moderna, would you be locked into Moderna? or would you be able to mix?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It usually depends on the dose you get and the virus characteristics it targets. We won't know this for a while when a booster is developed and people start getting it. Like flu shots, some people react differently in different years.

Thanks. Flu shots are always a walk in the park for me but dose 2 of Phizer kicked my ass for a day.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal but I volunteered at a vaccine POD and was stationed at the actual injection tent with 2 nurses who asked every person if they'd had any other vaccinations in the prior 2 weeks. I'd imagine you might have to spread them out but I'm obviously not a medical professional.

I would assume it's precautionary as there wasn't testing on it's reaction to other vaccines.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the case then would you have to have your annual shot be from the same vaccine? Like if you had your first 2 shots from Moderna, would you be locked into Moderna? or would you be able to mix?

I've wondered this too

Like the first vaccine offered to me was Johnson and Johnson, soooo what am I now locked into viral vector for good?

Sep 28, 2018
If you're like me and live in the deep south mask wearing has never existed. Also I will be hesitant to get any further shots as the 2nd one sent me to the ER 16 hours in. It triggered my SVT for the first time in 5 years (since I've been medicated for it).

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I figured this would be the case. It'll be like getting the annual flu shot. I wonder if we could get them at the same time or in the same shot.

I'd love if they could combine them into the same shot. Given how loaded some vaccines are (eg MMR) doesn't seem impossible unless there's just too much incompatibility in storage/distribution or the vaccines themselves conflict somehow.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I doubt it will be mandated into 2023. Into 2022? Not sure. However, I think normalizing the wearing of masks, if only minimally during flu season if you feel even remotely ill is something that should be encouraged, because that is totally helpful for everyone. Particularly if employers are going to continue being dicks about letting employees take sick leave.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be really good if they could just lump this in with the annual flu shot.

I could see an optional combo shot but I would think you could just schedule them for the same time which would have the same effect. I'm not aware of any combined vaccines in the same syringe, but maybe that's a thing, but again I don't really see the point of that and you probably would have people then opting not to get a flu/and or covid vaccine because they are combined. Probably not a big group of people but enough that you might not want to do that, at least as the only option.

For travel purposes you can get a bunch of shots all at once. Unless they find some evidence of flu vaccines and covid boosters counteract badly if given at the same time.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was most likely going to be the case, this isn't just him making CEO talk to prep for making more money. We still don't quite know how things will shake out but if countries can't get the spread under control even with vaccine aid, variants will surely pop up year to year. That will create a situation where we get yearly covid shots much like the flu shot.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dangerous medical misinformation
Mask wearing will always and forever prevent unnecessary illness and death from respiratory viruses, so it's really not such a bad thing. There's a reason they are common in Asia.

I don't think it will be mandated by state/local governments forever though unless there is a really bad spike and hospitals are getting overwhelmed.

I do expect certain employers/businesses to mandate it indefinitely though which is fine.
Mask wearing is also anti social, unnecessary and promotes fear.

It should stop when no longer needed

This "well it'll prevent illness, why not?" people need to better conceptualize risk and not normalize unnecessary neurotic behavior for the wider public.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Covid is going to be around in the world for a long, long time so this makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that we're still ceding all this authority and money to private corps to create and distribute. If we're going to do that, then we need to make the vaccine open source and available to all.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they were making educated guesses which make sense, but it doesn't mean that you cash in all your chips already.

Doesn't hurt to wait for more data as we near the 1 year mark.

You should bother to read the OP next time.

"We need to see what would be the sequence, and for how often we need to do that, that remains to be seen," he told CNBC's Bertha Coombs during an event with CVS Health. "A likely scenario is that there will be likely a need for a third dose, somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination, but all of that needs to be confirmed. And again, the variants will play a key role."

He is saying it's a likely scenario. He's not saying it's guaranteed thing. He even says that all of this still needs to be confirmed.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they upgrade the 5g at some point though. /jk

I kind of expected this to happen and I have no problem getting a yearly vaccine.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"We need to see what would be the sequence, and for how often we need to do that, that remains to be seen," he told CNBC's Bertha Coombs during an event with CVS Health. "A likely scenario is that there will be likely a need for a third dose, somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination, but all of that needs to be confirmed. And again, the variants will play a key role."

He is saying it's a likely scenario. He's not saying it's guaranteed thing. He even says that all of this still needs to be confirmed.
doesnt the 90% after six months confirm that we likely wont need a 6 month boster shot, but there is a chance we will need yearly shots.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be shocking, but would suck. That would obviously be a massive undertaking to try and vaccinate as many around the world as we can every year. In the US alone that is almost a million doses a day needed (if we pretend that everyone got it). Forever.

I would definitely be afraid of people dropping off year over year. I already know dipshits who said they responded so badly to their second dose that they don't know if they'd do it again.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I just got my first shot 10 minutes ago. The fact that we have millions of morons in the US guaratees this will be the first of many.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

It's in the title as well, but come on now, let's not believe the CEO is just saying this for funsies.

I'm sure he has to say likely to cover his ass.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
No problem to do this yearly but I'm afraid people that had rough vaccinations are going to just start skipping boosters.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Considering the potential financial gain the company can expect if this is true, I think I'll wait for an unbiased source to confirm this.