• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I dont have millions of subscribers eager to please me. With great power, etc.
See, I agree with that statement. PDP is just being himself and only occasionally cares about things he influences (for example he called out his fans recently who became racist against Indian people because of his "war" with T-Series), because he does not see it as his responsibility which I can partly agree with on a principle level. He certainly does have influence if he realizes or not, and he should be more aware of things and act upon them.

However just attributing anything his fanbase does, or even just a few people do, to him is extremely irrational. People here imply ill intent everywhere, but in reality he is at most a childish guy who doesn't take anything seriously. You can fault him for that, of course, but that should be the most of it.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
See, I agree with that statement. PDP is just being himself and only occasionally cares about things he influences (for example he called out his fans recently who became racist against Indian people because of his "war" with T-Series), because he does not see it as his responsibility which I can partly agree with on a principle level. He certainly does have influence if he realizes or not, and he should be more aware of things and act upon them.

However just attributing anything his fanbase does, or even just a few people do, to him is extremely irrational. People here imply ill intent everywhere, but in reality he is at most a childish guy who doesn't take anything seriously. You can fault him for that, of course, but that should be the most of it.

In general I agree, however the dude is a grown man, and this is not the first time. Plus the racism I really can't excuse.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PDP keeps Youtube afloat. They barely scratch any money from the platform as is, he'd have to literally be burning crosses on peoples lawns wearing a full SS uniform before they even considered banning him.

You talk like google would ban him if he started doing that

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
User banned (permanent): dismissing racism
In general I agree, however the dude is a grown man, and this is not the first time. Plus the racism I really can't excuse.
First off, thanks for being reasonable. I do believe you are free to see him as a racist or someone with subconscious racist bias or something. I also agree that he should learn becoming more aware of what he is doing. However, I'll try and offer some explanation to this phenomenon:

I do not believe he is a racist; I think he has taken this sort of overreaction some people (!) here and in the media provide and basically "absorbed" it into his YouTube persona. Edgy jokes are his motto. I mean, that he very, very often, jokingly says "It's just a joke, it's just a joke" after making... a joke or a racist comment depending on whom you ask, it already shows you how he personally perceives the people going after him. It'a an "us vs. them" mentality that spirals down the more people make unreasonable claims and dismiss other people easily. Who started this? Hard to say and it's not really relevant either.
It's the same with politics in general really.

In a relationship, when one behaves badly over a period of time, you generally cut them out of your life. You can avoid them.
But what do you think happens when you can't avoid them? What if the other party misrepresents a point you made (due to ill intent or misunderstanding)? You become angry. The one feeling wronged will act upon this anger in some way. In politics, you can't just go your own way, that's not how democracy works, so one party will develop a stronger dislike of the other party. This leads to acts that the other party sees as offensive too. They fight back. The circle continues.

That's also why there are more and more people choosing to vote for the AfD here in Germany, which is kind of anti-establishment just like Trump is, and they are doing openly fiendish acts. They are also against the refugee politics Germany has been pursuing. Now, you can think of the AfD party however you want; but if you, as an individual, criticize the refugee politics of Germany (even if it's a grey matter to you; you don't think "all refugees should drown" or "let's let them all in while our social system has many people suffering too"), people will group you with the AfD.
So people who are being discriminated against or grouped with others just because of a single perspective you have will fight back. They will actually sympathize MORE with the group they were being grouped with BECAUSE they first-hand experience the discrimination they receive, and they WILL be against whatever the discriminating party stands for (here, the "establishment").
I think that's a good part of the reason Trump won, I think that's the reason the AfD is getting popular in Germany. It's a rebel mentality. Society establishes what is okay to think and what is not, and people are not okay with that because they don't feel like they are taken seriously. They fight back. The ones being fought back against (the accepted societal norms and views) don't realize that they views are offensive for other people, so they defend themselves, which just makes things worse. This radicalizes more and more people, on both sides.

It's quite apparent in this forum too. You can personally judge PDP or interpret him all you want however you want, but if you take things out of context and attribute wrong-doings of people to him, he WILL feel personally attacked because that's exactly what people here are doing. So he fights back by assuming a defensive stance. In his perspective, well deserved criticism and undeserved criticism or hate will become meaningless, if it comes from the same people. He feeds his content with that defensive stance. People find it funny. Then he makes even more fun of people, which of course, people WILL find offensive too. In all their minds, they did nothing wrong. Neither people here on this forum, as in "I'm just calling a racist out, where is the harm?", nor PewDiePie "I just make edgy jokes and some have gone too far, I agree, and now teachers are saying I stand for GENOCIDE?" think they did something that was inherently wrong or worth judging an entire person for. In the end, both parties reduce the other party to their own view of the other respective parties, without trying to understand where people are coming from and that foundations of world views are DIFFERENT from person to person.

That's where the spiral of hate comes from. Now, don't just dismiss what I say just because I said PDP doesn't see himself as a racist or that what he is doing is wrong. You are not doing yourself a favor if you are going to dismiss this in favor of your preconceived notion.
You can see this pattern everywhere in the world. From relationships to friendships to politics; everywhere where communication of at least two people is involved, this pattern becomes apparent.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
First off, thanks for being reasonable. I do believe you are free to see him as a racist or someone with subconscious racist bias or something. I also agree that he should learn becoming more aware of what he is doing. However, I'll try and offer some explanation to this phenomenon:

I do not believe he is a racist; I think he has taken this sort of overreaction some people (!) here and in the media provide and basically "absorbed" it into his YouTube persona. Edgy jokes are his motto. I mean, that he very, very often, jokingly says "It's just a joke, it's just a joke" after making... a joke or a racist comment depending on whom you ask, it already shows you how he personally perceives the people going after him. It'a an "us vs. them" mentality that spirals down the more people make unreasonable claims and dismiss other people easily. Who started this? Hard to say and it's not really relevant either.
It's the same with politics in general really.

In a relationship, when one behaves badly over a period of time, you generally cut them out of your life. You can avoid them.
But what do you think happens when you can't avoid them? What if the other party misrepresents a point you made (due to ill intent or misunderstanding)? You become angry. The one feeling wronged will act upon this anger in some way. In politics, you can't just go your own way, that's not how democracy works, so one party will develop a stronger dislike of the other party. This leads to acts that the other party sees as offensive too. They fight back. The circle continues.

That's also why there are more and more people choosing to vote for the AfD here in Germany, which is kind of anti-establishment just like Trump is, and they are doing openly fiendish acts. They are also against the refugee politics Germany has been pursuing. Now, you can think of the AfD party however you want; but if you, as an individual, criticize the refugee politics of Germany (even if it's a grey matter to you; you don't think "all refugees should drown" or "let's let them all in while our social system has many people suffering too"), people will group you with the AfD.
So people who are being discriminated against or grouped with others just because of a single perspective you have will fight back. They will actually sympathize MORE with the group they were being grouped with BECAUSE they first-hand experience the discrimination they receive, and they WILL be against whatever the discriminating party stands for (here, the "establishment").
I think that's a good part of the reason Trump won, I think that's the reason the AfD is getting popular in Germany. It's a rebel mentality. Society establishes what is okay to think and what is not, and people are not okay with that because they don't feel like they are taken seriously. They fight back. The ones being fought back against (the accepted societal norms and views) don't realize that they views are offensive for other people, so they defend themselves, which just makes things worse. This radicalizes more and more people, on both sides.

It's quite apparent in this forum too. You can personally judge PDP or interpret him all you want however you want, but if you take things out of context and attribute wrong-doings of people to him, he WILL feel personally attacked because that's exactly what people here are doing. So he fights back by assuming a defensive stance. In his perspective, well deserved criticism and undeserved criticism or hate will become meaningless, if it comes from the same people. He feeds his content with that defensive stance. People find it funny. Then he makes even more fun of people, which of course, people WILL find offensive too. In all their minds, they did nothing wrong. Neither people here on this forum, as in "I'm just calling a racist out, where is the harm?", nor PewDiePie "I just make edgy jokes and some have gone too far, I agree, and now teachers are saying I stand for GENOCIDE?" think they did something that was inherently wrong or worth judging an entire person for. In the end, both parties reduce the other party to their own view of the other respective parties, without trying to understand where people are coming from and that foundations of world views are DIFFERENT from person to person.

That's where the spiral of hate comes from. Now, don't just dismiss what I say just because I said PDP doesn't see himself as a racist or that what he is doing is wrong. You are not doing yourself a favor if you are going to dismiss this in favor of your preconceived notion.
You can see this pattern everywhere in the world. From relationships to friendships to politics; everywhere where communication of at least two people is involved, this pattern becomes apparent.

Look, I don't know how old you are, but at a certain point in your life if you're above a certain level of intelligence you realize that sometimes you just have to take the criticism to heart and realize you're wrong (you meaning PDP, not you personally). I get where you are coming from but he is a public figure now. You have to watch your words more when you get to his level of fame. Thats why lots of stars have publicists. I don't think the dude is dumb, so there's really no excuse. He had to start examining what he was doing after the whole sign debacle, but then we had the linking to far right extremist thing. He's all out of goodwill for a lot of people, and for me personally that was already a bridge too far. He can't claim ignorance anymore.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Have you never laughed at a clip where someone does something stupid that either, I don't know, breaks something or hurts someone (or himself) lightly? Would you call yourself an enabler of self-harm or destruction of property if so? And if not, do you think all the people in the world laughing at those clips actively enable and encourage this behavior?

You can find something funny and hilarious and at the same time discourage doing it, which is what PDP did. The thread title alone is inflammatory. The hackers did it on their own volition, PDP finds it funny and discourages it. People seriously look for anything to hate on, but what was that phrase again?

"If you hate someone, even their way of moving their spoon to eat will disgust you". I made that up, there was a similar one though.

Spare me this PDP is innocent shit bro

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Look, I don't know how old you are, but at a certain point in your life if you're above a certain level of intelligence you realize that sometimes you just have to take the criticism to heart and realize you're wrong (you meaning PDP, not you personally). I get where you are coming from but he is a public figure now. You have to watch your words more when you get to his level of fame. Thats why lots of stars have publicists. I don't think the dude is dumb, so there's really no excuse. He had to start examining what he was doing after the whole sign debacle, but then we had the linking to far right extremist thing. He's all out of goodwill for a lot of people, and for me personally that was already a bridge too far. He can't claim ignorance anymore.
I see your point and I do agree. But I also believe that your point is idealistic. A lot of people who would be deemed "mature" behave in this way. Be it celebrities, politicians or talk show hosts. You just have to look at the hostile environment both far left and far right communities preserve, and both sides have huge influence and a big number of people associated with it, who will deem everyone going against them as "intolerant and not worth the time". Just look at how little introspection quite a few people here perform and tell me that this is how adults communicate. You don't seem to rush to insults just because it fits your agenda. And you are open to talk. Most people I've seen here are not.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I mean the guy it's promoting is an ass, but it also serves as an accute reminder just how fucking lacking security is with these devices.
Yea, and a Google device at that. This is the same company that likes to drag Microsoft's name through the mud by publishing 90-day-old exploits that its found in their software. Also the same company that likes to boast abut how secure its browser is, and its ChromeOS operating system.
But they couldn't be arsed to patch a year-old vulnerability in their Chromecast devices until their hand was finally forced.

They've built the Cast protocol into just about every device they've made recently. That shit had better be bulletproof from now on.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
The more I learn about PDP and his cult of followers the more I am certain I don't like them.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate this garbage person, his defense force, and his cult. It's not funny, never was. I hope these cultists are simply impressionable children, and not adults still thinking "doing it for the lawlz" is funny.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
I know ERA doesn't really like PDP, but does anyone know if he's even like made a video supporting/trying to stop these people? Or are they just immature PDP fans doing it cause of this tseries bullshit?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PewDiePie army is able to hack my SmartTV and I'm supposed to be mad at the army? I'm mad at the manufactures that shitposters can hack their TV's for jokes.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so this is the hack?
RDEiRUK.png

Are we just mad because pewdiepie is involved?
this thing is like 80% your shit isn't secure, 20% pdp

unfortunately the lede is getting burried

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"We have received reports from users who have had an unauthorised video played on their TVs via a Chromecast device. This is not an issue with Chromecast specifically, but is rather the result of router settings that make smart devices, including Chromecast, publicly reachable."
Can someone explain to me how this happens? Sounds sort of odd for someone to adjust their router settings to allow this without knowing what could happen and I feel like this wouldn't be something set by default from the factory.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
this thing is like 80% your shit isn't secure, 20% pdp

unfortunately the lede is getting burried
According to the article it's taking over people's device and playing pdp YouTube videos which I imagine is artificially increasing his views. It's not just a suggestion to like him.

I'd put this at 50/50 or maybe even tip it towards the pdp agenda and they are just concern trolling for your device's security to make it seem like they had the best intentions in mind.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are deifying him, the whole "subscribe to pewdiepie" thing is a meme. It's not that different from the "f*ck her right in the p*ssy" thing people were interrupting live broadcasts with
It may have started as a meme but a lot of his fanbase doesn't take it this way. The whole subscribe to pdp thing is so fucking annoying to see everywhere. It's no wonder he's receiving more backlash. Shit is getting out of hand.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Wow, so google says they aren't responsible despite this being a vulnerability reported ages ago? Am I understanding that right?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
PDP keeps Youtube afloat. They barely scratch any money from the platform as is, he'd have to literally be burning crosses on peoples lawns wearing a full SS uniform before they even considered banning him.
What's the data on this? I honestly find it hard to believe one user, despite his number of subscribers, is the only thing keeping a website as massive as YouTube open.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What sucks is how many people don't know anything about their home network and depend on upnp for it to "just work"

This is like taking advantage of someone grandmother, and anyone who finds this funny should reevaluate their lives.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yea, and a Google device at that. This is the same company that likes to drag Microsoft's name through the mud by publishing 90-day-old exploits that its found in their software. Also the same company that likes to boast abut how secure its browser is, and its ChromeOS operating system.
But they couldn't be arsed to patch a year-old vulnerability in their Chromecast devices until their hand was finally forced.

They've built the Cast protocol into just about every device they've made recently. That shit had better be bulletproof from now on.

A year? The deauth "attack" has been known (and public) since 2014.

https://www.bishopfox.com/blog/2014/07/rickmote-controller-hacking-one-chromecast-time/

Casthack is just on a wider scale.

This one is on Google.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Doesn't this guy live in Brighton here in the UK? If so, I've just tweeted to Brighton & Hove Police that he is encouraging cyber crime :)